Modal form opens on startup - can't get past it. Help?

Evenin' -

I hope this doesn't come across as stupid, but I'm almost completely
unfamiliar with Access. A client of mine has an Access 2000 database
containing some business information, and he'd like to have me import
it into Quickbooks. The problem I have is that I cannot get to the
information to export it from Access.

When the file is opened, I get a (I presume) modal form, configured as
a 'splash screen' type of thing. Has my client's logo, and the name of
the fellow who wrote the Access app.

Click that, and it closes, then opens another form for entering
clients, job information, and the like. There is apparently no way to
close that form or access the database window without closing the
database and exiting Access. There is no toolbar, menu bar, or the
like displayed.

Is there a shortcut or workaround that will allow me to access the
database window? I need to get this done soon, if possible, due to
year-end (tax) issues.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
0
Uncle
12/29/2009 2:05:31 AM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 21:05:31 -0500, Uncle Wulf <uncle@wulf.net> wrote:

>Thanks for any help you can provide.

OK, I found it. [Shift] + click 'open' on the security warning dialog
was what I needed. That, and to scroll down past about two miles of
blank window, to where the database window was hiding, minimized.

Thanks anyway. And kindly disregard my last panic attack.

Best -

Wulf
0
Uncle
12/29/2009 2:15:41 AM
Uncle Wulf,

You can see if holding down the Shift Key, on your keyboard, while opening
the database gets you to the Database Container.

--
Gina Whipp

II

"Uncle Wulf" <uncle@wulf.net> wrote in message
> Evenin' -
>
> I hope this doesn't come across as stupid, but I'm almost completely
> unfamiliar with Access. A client of mine has an Access 2000 database
> containing some business information, and he'd like to have me import
> it into Quickbooks. The problem I have is that I cannot get to the
> information to export it from Access.
>
> When the file is opened, I get a (I presume) modal form, configured as
> a 'splash screen' type of thing. Has my client's logo, and the name of
> the fellow who wrote the Access app.
>
> Click that, and it closes, then opens another form for entering
> clients, job information, and the like. There is apparently no way to
> close that form or access the database window without closing the
> database and exiting Access. There is no toolbar, menu bar, or the
> like displayed.
>
> Is there a shortcut or workaround that will allow me to access the
> database window? I need to get this done soon, if possible, due to
> year-end (tax) issues.
>
> Thanks for any help you can provide.

0
Gina
12/29/2009 2:19:49 AM
Have you tried opening the application while pressing the shift key? If that
doesn't work, you might try create a new MDB file and linking to the tables
in the original MDB.

--
Duane Hookom
Microsoft Access MVP

"Uncle Wulf" wrote:

> Evenin' -
>
> I hope this doesn't come across as stupid, but I'm almost completely
> unfamiliar with Access. A client of mine has an Access 2000 database
> containing some business information, and he'd like to have me import
> it into Quickbooks. The problem I have is that I cannot get to the
> information to export it from Access.
>
> When the file is opened, I get a (I presume) modal form, configured as
> a 'splash screen' type of thing. Has my client's logo, and the name of
> the fellow who wrote the Access app.
>
> Click that, and it closes, then opens another form for entering
> clients, job information, and the like. There is apparently no way to
> close that form or access the database window without closing the
> database and exiting Access. There is no toolbar, menu bar, or the
> like displayed.
>
> Is there a shortcut or workaround that will allow me to access the
> database window? I need to get this done soon, if possible, due to
> year-end (tax) issues.
>
> Thanks for any help you can provide.
> .

On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 18:51:01 -0800, Duane Hookom
<duanehookom@NO_SPAMhotmail.com> wrote:

>Have you tried opening the application while pressing the shift key? If that
>doesn't work, you might try create a new MDB file and linking to the tables
>in the original MDB.

Gina and Duane -

I found/remembered the solution independantly shortly after posting my
panic attack for all the world to see. I posted to that effect in a
reply to my first message.

I would like to thank you both, though, for your accurate, friendly,
and TIMELY answers. Hopefully, if I have to pester you good folks
again, it'll be for something a bit more worthwhile.      8^)

Thanks again -

Wulf
0
Uncle
12/29/2009 3:52:47 AM
Uncle Wulf,

Saw your answer but already posted reply!  No worries, happy you got it
figured out!

--

> On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 18:51:01 -0800, Duane Hookom
> <duanehookom@NO_SPAMhotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Have you tried opening the application while pressing the shift key? If
>>that
>>doesn't work, you might try create a new MDB file and linking to the
>>tables
>>in the original MDB.
>

> Gina and Duane -
>
> I found/remembered the solution independantly shortly after posting my
> panic attack for all the world to see. I posted to that effect in a
> reply to my first message.
>
> I would like to thank you both, though, for your accurate, friendly,
> and TIMELY answers. Hopefully, if I have to pester you good folks
> again, it'll be for something a bit more worthwhile.      8^)
>

> Thanks again -
>
> Wulf

0
Gina
12/29/2009 4:41:33 AM
hi
"Uncle Wulf" <uncle@wulf.net> wrote in message
> Evenin' -
>
> I hope this doesn't come across as stupid, but I'm almost completely
> unfamiliar with Access. A client of mine has an Access 2000 database
> containing some business information, and he'd like to have me import
> it into Quickbooks. The problem I have is that I cannot get to the
> information to export it from Access.
>
> When the file is opened, I get a (I presume) modal form, configured as
> a 'splash screen' type of thing. Has my client's logo, and the name of
> the fellow who wrote the Access app.
>
> Click that, and it closes, then opens another form for entering
> clients, job information, and the like. There is apparently no way to
> close that form or access the database window without closing the
> database and exiting Access. There is no toolbar, menu bar, or the
> like displayed.
>
> Is there a shortcut or workaround that will allow me to access the
> database window? I need to get this done soon, if possible, due to
> year-end (tax) issues.
>
> Thanks for any help you can provide.

0
Lizzie

Cannot copy & paste to a mailing label template
I downloaded a Christmas label template from Microsoft Office Word. After deleting "Name, Address, etc." which was on each label on the page, I then typed our address on one and tried to copy & paste so that we could have a whole page of return address labels. I just couldn't get it to work. Any suggestions? Rather than starting with a full sheet of blank labels, why not use the label wizard? Can you explain "just couldn't get it to work"? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummie...

expanding/collapsing subdatasheets in a form?
Hi, all, In a table I can easily get those expanding nodes (+ and - signs) to expand/collapse subdatasheets. How can I get those in forms? Thanks, Sean ...

Void Open Invoice
Okay, let me start by saying, I was having a really bad day when I created this mess. I thought I was messing around with some invoices in our test company, but it turns out I was in the live database. I created a single item PO, received it, and then matched the invoice but I added a discount, freight, and misc charges and then posted it. Soon thereafter I realized my mistake and contacted someone in accounting and they voided the GL Batch. However, now there is an open payable transaction I can't void. I have tried going to Void Open Transactions and placing a check in the vo...

How do get the years and days Between two dates
if you had 5/1/2006 and 2/28/2002 how would you get 4.17? If 5/1/2006 is in A1 and 2/28/2002 is in A2, then maybe: =(a1-a2)/365 or =(a1-a2)/365.25 But if you're trying to find differences between dates, you may want to take a look at =datedif(). You can find lots of info at Chip Pearson's site: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/datedif.htm (=datedif() was only documented in xl2k's help.) jhon doe wrote: > > if you had 5/1/2006 and 2/28/2002 how would you get 4.17? -- Dave Peterson ...

Help on {=SMALL(IF($A$1:$A$7=$A$10,ROW($A$1:$A$7)),ROW(1:1))}
Dear All, Plz help on this formula {=SMALL(IF($A$1:$A$7=$A$10,ROW($A$1:$A$7)),ROW(1:1))}, how this works as I m new excel user. what does is meant $A$1:$A$7=$A$10 Hi As an array formula, it is testing each cell in the range A1 to A7 to see if it has the same value as that in cell A10 and returning what is the first row number that the value occurs in the range. -- Regards Roger Govier "Sandeep Jangra" <SandeepJangra@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9A133D2D-75A6-4A3B-93AB-6680D164C647@microsoft.com... > Dear All, > Plz help on this formula > ...

publisher 2002 how do I get it to work with vista ?
Hi i have bought a new comp with Vista windows but my Publisher is XP and wont work I cannot afford to replace that also but use it all the time as my hobby is cardmaking ,is there a patch I can download ? Right-click the Publisher icon, Properties, Compatibility tab, use Windows XP (service pack 2). This works for me. Are you getting an error when you try to open Publisher? -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Meeeee" <Meeeee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1C68CF33-7D4C-45A7-8FEE-D57DC7EB0154@microsoft.com... > Hi i have bought a...

filer by form: help please
Hi,I have this filter form thing. I have a few questions on it1. is there any command for filter-by-form, like Docmd.runcommand accmdfilter sort? or this is command is same for filter-by-form as well? not sure on this2. and if my filter by form results no data from the databse, than how can I have user friendly meesage.I will be thankful if some one can help me on thisThanking in advanceRathi You can enter Filter By Form mode with: RunCommand acCmdFilterByFormHowever, you cannot use a command button on the form to return to normal view, since the buttons (and all code) are disabled in FBF. ...

Modal MDI child ... how ?
Is it possible to modify the behaviour of already displayed MDI child to become modal (it beeps when you click on it). Currently, it I iterate through all displayed views and set view->GetParent()->EnableWindow(enable); user can't tell that other views are disabled, as there is no visual or audible indication of it. Btw, some frames might have toolbar attached to them. Any help is appreciated, Jan To answer my own question. To make child mdi appear modal amongst other mdi children do the following: in CMainFrame.h add the following public: CWnd * m_pActiveView; in CMainFr...

Open Relay Tests using abuse.net
I have done two Open Relay Tests using the abuse.net site. On the first I used my work email address me@companyname.com and entered the mail server IP address and got the following test message emailed to me: This is a test of third-party mail relay, generated via the Network Abuse Clearinghouse at http://www.abuse.net. Target host = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx mailservername.companyname.local Test performed by <me@companyname.com> from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx <-gateway ip A well-configured mail server should NOT relay third-party email. Otherwise, the server is subject to abuse by vandals and spamme...

Excel changes file name to numeric name when saving --HELP
When DFS is turned on, the name changes to a numeric name that includes date and timestamp. Enviorment Win2K SP4, replicating to a Win2k3 server. When Excel saves a file, it first saves it under a temporary name. If there are no errors during the save, it deletes the original file and renames the new version. Sounds like your network settings/permissions are not allowing Excel to delete the original file. On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 07:57:06 -0800, Greg Rinaldi <GregRinaldi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >When DFS is turned on, the name changes to a numeric name that includes date >...

Running 2 reports in a form together
Hi , I have 2 seperate reports, one works off a drop down menu where you select a client and it brings up all the jobs to the selected clients name. The 2nd is a date report where you enter 2 dates and it brings up all the jobs between them. What I want to do is make them now work together, so 1st you select the client then the dates and it brings up all the jobs for that client between the dates selected. The client report uses a "where" command, of client name=clientcombo for example. The date is written in code, now is there anywhere I can add a where command or similar to the d...

Forms Option control cell
How can I control the value of one cell (A15) based on which option was selected in an optionbox on a form? Thanks, You can use the Click event of each OptionButton, like the following: Private Sub OptionButton1_Click() If OptionButton1.Value Then Range("A15").Value = 1 End If End Sub Private Sub OptionButton2_Click() If OptionButton2.Value Then Range("A15").Value = 2 End If End Sub Private Sub OptionButton3_Click() If OptionButton3.Value Then Range("A15").Value = 3 End If End Sub Or, in a separate procedure S...

Form slowly when used as sub form in access 2007
I have a strange problem with Access 2007. Made a database in Access 2003 years ago. This database uses many sub forms (containing one text field, based on a query and the text field showing a calculated value (SUM(..) from the underlying query) . This have always worked great in Access 2003. Now I installed Access 2007 and have a big problem. Upon opening the database the sub forms don't show anything in a whole minute. In the left corner of Access there reads "Calculating . . ." for this minute. Eventually the sub forms then show the calculated value ok. I might wanna add that...

Form display shutting down
Hello. I want do do the following: when I display in a form a record one after another, when I reach the last one, the displays automatically ends or go to a end form to tell the user that the presentation ended. What is happening right now, is that when I reach the last record and I enter TAB, appears a new empty record. Note that this is not a only presentation session, I mean, I need to enter some information in the records while displaying. Thanks in advance. Best regards. On the Data tab of the properties sheet for the form, set "Allow Additions" to NO. acores wrote: >H...

how to open buit in dialogs
in excel, select to insert hyperlink, an dialoge showed, then choose file, a form- "link to fille" showed, does anyone know how to show this form in VBA Hi, application.Dialogs(xlDialogInsertHyperlink).Show Cheers Andy hpe wrote: > in excel, select to insert hyperlink, an dialoge showed, then choose > file, a form- "link to fille" showed, > > does anyone know how to show this form in VBA > -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info ...

conditional formatting in Excel 2007
I have a large spreadsheet, with the active data area being cells a4:x8659. In the A column, I have a formula that evaluates to 1 or 0, depending on whether the room number in column E has changed from the previous row. What I *want* to have happen is this: 1) If the value of the cell in the A column for a particular row is 1, set the color of the cells in that particular row to color #1 (in this case, a nice pastel yellow); 2) If the value of the cell in the A column for a particular row is 0, set the color of the cells in that particular row to white. Have tried to follow the instruc...

create a data entry form template in Excel 2003?
In previous versions of Excel it was possible to create a data entry form template by using the template wizard add in. How do you do this in Excel 2003. ...

Embedding Web Browser in GP forms
Hi, We need to include a Web Browser within Gp form. Is there a way to embed Activex Controls on GP forms? Thanks & Regards, Sup No, this is not possible to do with Dexterity. patrick mbs dev support -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "sup" <sup@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:93440548-D88E-4820-A936-01B01D6F4F7D@microsoft.com... > Hi, > We need to include a Web Browser within Gp form. > Is there a way to embed Activex Controls on GP forms? > > Thanks & Regards, > Sup A we...

unable to open damaged excel file
I'm running on windows xp prof 2002, need to open a damaged excel file with excel 2002 (size of file:680kb). I was going through the procedure of deleting all temp files, but still can not open. Any one know a trick and how to open and get back the data (of which I have no backup unfortunetly). thanx Maybe OpenOffice can open it. (http://www.openoffice.org, a 60-65 meg download or a CD) If the file is really important, there are commercial recovery services. I've never used it, but you might want to check into: http://www.officerecovery.com Pascal wrote: > > I'm running...

Simple Form
I'm new to this, and here's what I need accomplished. I have a query with 20 + fields that I would like to show some/all fields on a form. This is a production data organized by week, month, year, productCategory, productCode, PoundProduced, etc. So I would like the user to be able to select a year and productCtegory (may be another field), and the total PoundProduced will be populated on the same form or on a subform. Just one total number. Currently the data in the query is grouped and summed but it will show on 100s of rows. Also this is a multi-year data. PoundProduced is th...

Outlook 2007 Font size when opening a message
I've changed the font size in my Outlook by going through the Tools/Options/Mail Format/Stationery and Fonts. I've enlarged the font for all messages. However, for some reason, all messages continue to be in a small font whenever I open the email to read it. I've changed all of the formatting in my "Current View" also. Is there anything else I can do so that when I open an email the font is enlarged? Have you checked your Zoom settings? -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. ALWAYS post yo...

Pass value to form
How do I pass the value from one from to another? I have a form that I want to pass the value in one field to a form that is opened by pressing a button. Thanks Matt -- Matt Campbell mattc (at) saunatec [dot] com Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-formscoding/200710/1 Are you trying to have the second form open to a specific record based on the value of the control in the first form, or are you trying to actually insert a value into a control on the second form? "mattc66 via AccessMonster.com" wrote: > How do I pass ...

Getting 'An error has occurred' when I Publish my Workflow
The workflow Saves fine, but when I publish I'm getting stopped with a generic dialog box. Any clues? -- Marty I am receiving the same frustrating error message. Have you figured out how to fix this? Thnx in advance. Brian www.jaydien.com support@jaydien.com "Marty" wrote: > The workflow Saves fine, but when I publish I'm getting stopped with a > generic dialog box. Any clues? > -- > Marty I think what did it was I opened and saved the Tasks or Emails I was working on in the workflow and it eventually saved. Also we had a problem where our drive wa...

How to detect clicks outside of a modal dialog
I have a modal dialog displaying a calendar. I want the dialog to cancel if the user clicks out side of the dialog. I have tried using SetCapture() in the dialogs OnInitDialog() but it mucks things up with the controls on the dialog no longer working. Has any one got any ideas how to achieve this. thanks I'm not 100% clear on your arrangement but the ideal approach seems to be for the dialog to cancel when it loses focus. One problem with implementing this is that the dialog itself won't have focus, a child control will. So you'd need to see how well this approach could be a...

In & Out Form
Hello all, I am in the process of designing a form where users can log the books that students check out from the library. The problem that I am facing is putting tables together and have the info recorded in the "in & out" table. I have a table for books, students and in & out. How should I link all 3 tables in the Record Source of the form? When the form is open, it will prompt the users to type in a book ID. Then the form will open only the records based on the book ID input by the users. The In & Out table has fields for book ID, student ID, Date In, D...