Modal form opens on startup - can't get past it. Help?

Evenin' -

I hope this doesn't come across as stupid, but I'm almost completely
unfamiliar with Access. A client of mine has an Access 2000 database
containing some business information, and he'd like to have me import
it into Quickbooks. The problem I have is that I cannot get to the
information to export it from Access.

When the file is opened, I get a (I presume) modal form, configured as
a 'splash screen' type of thing. Has my client's logo, and the name of
the fellow who wrote the Access app.

Click that, and it closes, then opens another form for entering
clients, job information, and the like. There is apparently no way to
close that form or access the database window without closing the
database and exiting Access. There is no toolbar, menu bar, or the
like displayed.

Is there a shortcut or workaround that will allow me to access the
database window? I need to get this done soon, if possible, due to
year-end (tax) issues.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
0
Uncle
12/29/2009 2:05:31 AM
access 16762 articles. 2 followers. Follow

On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 21:05:31 -0500, Uncle Wulf <uncle@wulf.net> wrote:

>Thanks for any help you can provide.

OK, I found it. [Shift] + click 'open' on the security warning dialog
was what I needed. That, and to scroll down past about two miles of
blank window, to where the database window was hiding, minimized.

Thanks anyway. And kindly disregard my last panic attack.

Best -

Wulf
0
Uncle
12/29/2009 2:15:41 AM
Uncle Wulf,

You can see if holding down the Shift Key, on your keyboard, while opening
the database gets you to the Database Container.

--
Gina Whipp

II

"Uncle Wulf" <uncle@wulf.net> wrote in message
> Evenin' -
>
> I hope this doesn't come across as stupid, but I'm almost completely
> unfamiliar with Access. A client of mine has an Access 2000 database
> containing some business information, and he'd like to have me import
> it into Quickbooks. The problem I have is that I cannot get to the
> information to export it from Access.
>
> When the file is opened, I get a (I presume) modal form, configured as
> a 'splash screen' type of thing. Has my client's logo, and the name of
> the fellow who wrote the Access app.
>
> Click that, and it closes, then opens another form for entering
> clients, job information, and the like. There is apparently no way to
> close that form or access the database window without closing the
> database and exiting Access. There is no toolbar, menu bar, or the
> like displayed.
>
> Is there a shortcut or workaround that will allow me to access the
> database window? I need to get this done soon, if possible, due to
> year-end (tax) issues.
>
> Thanks for any help you can provide.

0
Gina
12/29/2009 2:19:49 AM
Have you tried opening the application while pressing the shift key? If that
doesn't work, you might try create a new MDB file and linking to the tables
in the original MDB.

--
Duane Hookom
Microsoft Access MVP

"Uncle Wulf" wrote:

> Evenin' -
>
> I hope this doesn't come across as stupid, but I'm almost completely
> unfamiliar with Access. A client of mine has an Access 2000 database
> containing some business information, and he'd like to have me import
> it into Quickbooks. The problem I have is that I cannot get to the
> information to export it from Access.
>
> When the file is opened, I get a (I presume) modal form, configured as
> a 'splash screen' type of thing. Has my client's logo, and the name of
> the fellow who wrote the Access app.
>
> Click that, and it closes, then opens another form for entering
> clients, job information, and the like. There is apparently no way to
> close that form or access the database window without closing the
> database and exiting Access. There is no toolbar, menu bar, or the
> like displayed.
>
> Is there a shortcut or workaround that will allow me to access the
> database window? I need to get this done soon, if possible, due to
> year-end (tax) issues.
>
> Thanks for any help you can provide.
> .

On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 18:51:01 -0800, Duane Hookom
<duanehookom@NO_SPAMhotmail.com> wrote:

>Have you tried opening the application while pressing the shift key? If that
>doesn't work, you might try create a new MDB file and linking to the tables
>in the original MDB.

Gina and Duane -

I found/remembered the solution independantly shortly after posting my
panic attack for all the world to see. I posted to that effect in a
reply to my first message.

I would like to thank you both, though, for your accurate, friendly,
and TIMELY answers. Hopefully, if I have to pester you good folks
again, it'll be for something a bit more worthwhile.      8^)

Thanks again -

Wulf
0
Uncle
12/29/2009 3:52:47 AM
Uncle Wulf,

Saw your answer but already posted reply!  No worries, happy you got it
figured out!

--

> On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 18:51:01 -0800, Duane Hookom
> <duanehookom@NO_SPAMhotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Have you tried opening the application while pressing the shift key? If
>>that
>>doesn't work, you might try create a new MDB file and linking to the
>>tables
>>in the original MDB.
>

> Gina and Duane -
>
> I found/remembered the solution independantly shortly after posting my
> panic attack for all the world to see. I posted to that effect in a
> reply to my first message.
>
> I would like to thank you both, though, for your accurate, friendly,
> and TIMELY answers. Hopefully, if I have to pester you good folks
> again, it'll be for something a bit more worthwhile.      8^)
>

> Thanks again -
>
> Wulf

0
Gina
12/29/2009 4:41:33 AM
hi
"Uncle Wulf" <uncle@wulf.net> wrote in message
> Evenin' -
>
> I hope this doesn't come across as stupid, but I'm almost completely
> unfamiliar with Access. A client of mine has an Access 2000 database
> containing some business information, and he'd like to have me import
> it into Quickbooks. The problem I have is that I cannot get to the
> information to export it from Access.
>
> When the file is opened, I get a (I presume) modal form, configured as
> a 'splash screen' type of thing. Has my client's logo, and the name of
> the fellow who wrote the Access app.
>
> Click that, and it closes, then opens another form for entering
> clients, job information, and the like. There is apparently no way to
> close that form or access the database window without closing the
> database and exiting Access. There is no toolbar, menu bar, or the
> like displayed.
>
> Is there a shortcut or workaround that will allow me to access the
> database window? I need to get this done soon, if possible, due to
> year-end (tax) issues.
>
> Thanks for any help you can provide.

0
Lizzie

Forms Authentication
We are developing and ASP .net application that uses the Project Server Interface (PSI) webservices. First of all, it uses a Windows authentication with the LoginWindows webservice. But if we use the LoginForms webservice (with a Login page) it doesn´t work and display the next error message: “An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connection. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Ser...

how can I run a macro when I open a workbook?
.... hi. put your macro in the workbooks on open event. when the workbooks is opened, the macro runs. :o >-----Original Message----- >.... >. > name it auto_open filo666 wrote: > > ... -- Dave Peterson ...

Anyone else get charged TWICE?
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) I just bought 8 from this website. Got charged twice. Anyone else have this experience? One for a little over 160 bucks and one for 149?? Don't even know who to get a hold of. Which website? If you double-click the "Submit" button on a vendor website, you will indeed get charged twice, because you have submitted two orders. Cheers On 28/03/10 3:07 PM, in article 59bb615b.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, "jayson@officeformac.com" <jayson@officeformac.com> wrote: > Version: 2008 Ope...

getting strongly typed results from an XPath query?
Hi; Is there an easy way, when I am iterating through the nodes returned from an XPath query, to get typed results. I need to know if it's a DateTime, decimal, or string. This is more than just what node it is because an XPath can be the result of a count or other operation where the resulting type has nothing to do with any node type. I optionally have a schema - but not always. ??? - thanks - dave david@at-at-at@windward.dot.dot.net Windward Reports -- http://www.WindwardReports.com me -- http://dave.thielen.com Cubicle Wars - http://www.windwardreports.com/film.htm Hello Dave, W...

Filling free form objects
Hello! I am using Publisher 2007 to make a brochure. I have been trying to create a free form wave to expand across the brochure but I cannot figure out how to link the components of the free form object together so that I can fill it with a color or a graphic. Do I need to create a 'path' or something so I can do this? Not sure I know what you are trying to do. When you draw with the freeform tool, your drawing must be closed before you can fill it. If you right-click your drawing, there is an option to close path. The path is always a straight line. You can then edit the p...

Need help on this table
Hi, I can't find the information of the fields in this table: GL_YTD_TRX_OPEN (GL20000) in the GP 6.0 SDK. Can anyone help ? What do you want to know about it? If you go to Tools...Resource Descriptions you can get information about it. It's updated when you post GL transactions. When you close a GL year, that year's data is moved from this table to GL30000. Dolly wrote: > Hi, > > I can't find the information of the fields in this table: GL_YTD_TRX_OPEN > (GL20000) in the GP 6.0 SDK. Can anyone help ? ...

Access MODAL form does not seem to act "MODALLY"
Sorry this is a bit long but I hope it is clear... I have a parameter field PARAM on a parameter form into which I want to enter a string validated as comprising three parts made up from different fields in the database. In "native" form on the parameter form it works well as follows: 1 - Double click on PARAM field and that makes a combo box visible and hides the PARAM field. 2 - Select from combo and on tab (lost focus) make next combo visible.... etc. 3 - on completion of last combo and tab (lost focus) build the PARAM value from the Me.cbo...values and makes all...

How to get a copied sheet to update?
I made a copy of sheet 1, and it is names sheet 2. How can I get th data that I entered in sheet 1 to copy or update directly into the 2n sheet. Like I said the sheet are identical, sheet for sheet. Onc that is done, how can I set it up so only the 2nd sheet prints? Thank in advance! Mile -- mcr ----------------------------------------------------------------------- mcr1's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1549 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27759 To get a "linked" copy of sheet1 that updates. Wi...

User Form Problem #2
I have done some reading on using User Forms within VBA. I am taking data from the form and putting it to an Excel worksheeet. Here is the code I have so far... This all works... Private Sub cmdSaveData_Click() Dim LastRow As Object Sheets("DailyData").Select Set LastRow = Sheet1.Range("a65536").End(xlUp) LastRow.Offset(1, 0).Value = txtDate.Text LastRow.Offset(1, 1).Value = txtRawPounds.Text LastRow.Offset(1, 2).Value = txtRawSolids.Text LastRow.Offset(1, 3).Value = txtFrenchFryPounds.Text LastRow.Offset(1, 4).Value = txtBatterPounds.Text LastRow.Offset(1, 5).Value ...

email form
why will the email form when published on the net give an error "not found on server" the server is running frontpage extentions. Refer to http://www.publishermvps.com/Default.aspx?tabid=30 first 4 items and the very last item need to be reviewed. David Bartosik - [MSFT MVP] www.publishermvps.com www.davidbartosik.com <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:159801c53ce0$8f927c50$a401280a@phx.gbl... > why will the email form when published on the net give an > error "not found on server" the server is running > frontpage extentions. ...

Modify Default Forms
How to I add my customer's email address to thier Statement. How to add Company Name to Charges and payments printed on the 40 Column Recipt How to Set the 40 Column Recipt to print to one page with the signature space on the bottom. ...

How to get email accounts in different boxes
I have Outlook 2003. I used to have Outlook Express and could easily receive different emails in different boxes. For example, my wife had an email address and I had another, Her emails did not come in my email box. I just had to go to 'File', then 'switch identity' and then we would get her email. Can this be done with Outlook 2003? Sure, use different email profiles, one for you and one for your wife. Use F1 help for assistance with setting up profiles. Post back with any problems after using that help. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the grou...

Outlook 2003 wont open after install
My outlook crashes on install with this message Failed to register a VB script DLL. Reinstall or run regsvr32.exe vbscript.dll to self register. A required action was unsuccessful due to an unspecified error. Previously Office 2000 used to give me "A required action was unsuccessful due to an unspecified error." all the time (when I clicked things, dragged things, so I uninstalled it for 2003). Im stymied. I have reinstalled, run the office cleaner app. RUn the regsvr stuff. Nothing works.] Amb Have you tried a new mail profile? Control Panel->mail icon->sho...

How to limit text height entered into a Legacy Form Text Form Field
Hi folks Hopefully someone can help me here as Ive spent hours looking on the web for an answer :( I have created a form which is protected, so people can only see the form and then enter text into Text Form Fields. When I type into this field, the text wraps around before it reaches the end (width) of the box but not the height! How do I limit the text so that the number of lines typed in is only as much as is visible within the box? (height)? thanks d -- corelli In the unprotected form template, right-click the Text Form Field and set the maximum number of character...

Workbooks Opening Maximized
Sometimes when I open workbooks they do not automatically open maximized. It is frustrating. I click on the left hand corner of the workbook and miximize and save the workbook but it still opens the next time with the corners not fully extended in Excel. Help. Excel 2003 XP Thanks, MD -- mdalby ------------------------------------------------------------------------ mdalby's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=7055 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=390202 bump to top of list to see if someone has an answer.....

unbound forms saving records in access 2003
i have created a unbound local form to record details and wish to save the record to a table which is linked to the database on the server Access 2003 -- RFortune Any reason why you don't just bind the form to the table? "Bob" <Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0928FA10-5E67-485F-ABB3-6A025E43B814@microsoft.com... > i have created a unbound local form to record details and wish to save > the > record to a table which is linked to the database on the server Access > 2003 > -- > RFortune The data base is multi user and i...

Putting Excel Charts into a Word document that's getting too big
I am creating a Word document (our Annual Report) in which I will have many charts and graphs that were created in Excel. Currently, there will be at least 26 graphs/charts in the document. In the past, there have apparently been problems with not having enough space to save the Word document because it gets too big. The document itself is only about 36 pages, but, as I mentioned, within the 36 pages are at least 26 graphs and charts. I'm looking for a way to copy the graphs/charts into Excel without it taking so much memory. One solution we thought of was to only paste the gra...

Help! Problem running pst19upg.exe via SMS
I have written a vbscript that will utilize pst19upg.exe to strip a password from a pst file. (You may be asking yourself, why write a script to do this when you can do it from the cmd line? Well, this script is part of a much larger script, but I need this piece to work first.) Well, when I run the script out-of-pocket on my pc, everything works great and the passwords are removed. However, when the script is imported into an SMS package and pushed to my pc this way, the script fails completely. I have checked to see if this is a permissions issue, and that does not seem to be the case. An...

Non-modal dialog in CSplitterWindow???
Hello newsgroup, is it possible to show a non-modal dialog in a pane of a CSplitterWindow? The documentation says that CSplitterWindow may contain windows that are not views, but I have some doubts. Since CSplitterWindow's CreateView method assumes that the window _IS_ a view (it calls Wnd::Create, which is utterly inappropriate if I want to create a modeless dialog), I don't see how I can use CSplitterWindow. Is there any alternative to CSplitterWindow? Some words about my project: My app should display image data. This done via the common doc-view approach. There must be a dialog...

Self created forms
Could somebody tell me where outlook 2003 stores self created forms? Thanks That depends on whether you saved the form as an .oft file, published it, etc. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "Thomas Frisch" <thfrisch@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eazeGp2DFHA.3452@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Could somebody tell me where outlook 2003 stores self created forms? > > Thanks "Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]" <...

Get Random Date to return per record in Query
Query SELECT tblStaff.StaffName, RandomDateInRange(#1/1/2001#,#12/31/2001#) AS DateOne FROM tblStaff GROUP BY tblStaff.StaffName; Module Public Function RandomDateInRange(LowerDate As Date, UpperDate As Date) As Date Randomize RandomDateInRange = Int((UpperDate - LowerDate + 1) * Rnd + LowerDate) End Function Currently this query returns a random date, however it is the same one for the entire query. How can I get the each record in the query to have a seperate random date? I am trying to generate a random date for each staff member for QA purposes. Thanks, David On 5 Apr 2007 13:58:02...

Open a new form and closing the old form
I have two forms which are both popups. After the first one is displayed the user clicks on the the listbox on the form and in the on click event the second form is opened and the first form closes itself in succession.. DoCmd.OpenForm "secondform" DoCmd.Close acForm,"firstform" The thing is the query in the second form references the list box in the first form for a value. So far it works fine in testing but I was concerned whether the first form could close too fast before the second form is able to excute its query which references the first form. Robert R...

open XML dataset in append mode
Hi, I've been trying to open an XML file and append just one record more efficiently. Diffgramms, offer no solution but who has good code to to get this result (without completely rewriting the file on disk?) code below, te become smarter :) hints? class Piet { public static void Main() { Dataset1 d = new Dataset1(); Stream str = new FileStream(@"c:\somedata.xml", FileMode.OpenOrCreate, FileAccess.ReadWrite, FileShare.None); if (str.Length > 0) d.ReadXml(str); Dataset1.somedataRow dr = d.somedata.NewsomedataRow(); dr.Data = "blah " + Environment.TickCount...

Word -cannot open file
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I have a large word file 663.7mb which no longer opens -get error message file over 32mb. Any ideas on how to open/ correct this ? Yes. Find yourself a copy of Word 2003 or Word 2007 for the PC and open it with that. Use File>Save As to save out of there as a new file. That's an old error message: a Word document can actually go up to about two gigabytes these days: but what it is telling you is that the code in the document is corrupt and Word can't lay it out properly in memory. Usuall...

Help: Budget doesn't load bills for entire year
Budget reports only show the bill from the month it was created August and forward. Since I just upgraded from Quicken, all of the bills were paid before this month. How can I make money realize that the budget should include these as well. ...