Missing Records in Linked Table

I'm running Access 2000 with a SQL 7 back end, using ODBC linked tables in
an MDB file. The db is used by about 30 users on a LAN, and an additional 10
or so on a WAN.

Recently, one of the WAN users complained of intermittently not being able
to find certain customers in the customers table (contains around 40,000
records). There are specific "problem records" of customers that can't be
found, and they all start with the letter "F" (the table has a numeric
customer ID as its primary key).

For these three or four customers that have been identified so far as
problem records, the customer exists in the customer list (a drop-down based
on a front-end table), but, when trying to go to the record, are told that
the record's not found.

Similarly, when the user searches for one of these problem records using the
custom search function, which searches the linked tables, the search
function says the record cannot be found.

Note that this is an intermittent problem with this single WAN user, and no
other users (on WAN or LAN are having this problem).

Any ideas about what might be causing it, or what can be done to this single
user's machine to alleviate the problem?

Thanks!

Neil

0
Neil
8/6/2007 8:17:20 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

No, directly, the entire table. Also, note that the functionality is fine,
and on one (and now I found out two) computers the data for those records is
intermittently not there. But on other computers it's there. Nothing in the
functionality that would be limiting it.

"KARL DEWEY" <KARLDEWEY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Are they accessing the table directly or through a View that might be
> limiting records?
> --
> KARL DEWEY
> Build a little - Test a little
>

> "Neil" wrote:
>
>> I'm running Access 2000 with a SQL 7 back end, using ODBC linked tables
>> in
>> an MDB file. The db is used by about 30 users on a LAN, and an additional
>> 10
>> or so on a WAN.
>>
>> Recently, one of the WAN users complained of intermittently not being
>> able
>> to find certain customers in the customers table (contains around 40,000
>> records). There are specific "problem records" of customers that can't be
>> found, and they all start with the letter "F" (the table has a numeric
>> customer ID as its primary key).
>>
>> For these three or four customers that have been identified so far as
>> problem records, the customer exists in the customer list (a drop-down
>> based
>> on a front-end table), but, when trying to go to the record, are told
>> that
>> the record's not found.
>>
>> Similarly, when the user searches for one of these problem records using
>> the
>> custom search function, which searches the linked tables, the search
>> function says the record cannot be found.
>>
>> Note that this is an intermittent problem with this single WAN user, and
>> no
>> other users (on WAN or LAN are having this problem).
>>
>> Any ideas about what might be causing it, or what can be done to this
>> single
>> user's machine to alleviate the problem?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Neil

0
Neil

Linking Tabs
Hi Ill try explain as best I can - If I have all the information I need on the first tab in my work book and I then need to split this information and copy it into another 2 seperate tabs. If i then change any data written or numbers on the first tab how can i make the inaformation automatically change in the other 2 tabs so all info is eaxactly the same even thought its been split up? I have tried paste special and it does not seem to like this Any help greatly appreciated When you first copy the data and then navigate to the new sheet, instead of simply pasting the data, right click ...

MX Record question
Hello - We are implementing Postini anti-spam service, and need to change our MX records to point to their servers. We have one Exchange Server which currently uses a Linux sendmail SMTP server which is located in the DMZ. Our MX record with highest priority points to this server. We also have another MX record which points to our actual Exchange server, in case the SMTP relay server goes down. Would it be better to remove this second MX record which points to our Exchange server and close off port 25 from the Internet on the Exchange server ? This would effectively force all inbound mail...

How to Split Related Records in Two if Greater than 15
I have a report that has, for each page, photographs on top and data about those photographs below. The report is designed to have as many as 15 photos (5 wide, 3 down) and 15 lines of data. Each photo and line represents a style/color. Each page is a Category (Field) of styles. Once in a while, however, a category of related styles can have more than 15 styles. When this happens, I want to put the first 15 on one page, the second 15 on another page, and so on. The data is coming from a mainframe database and there just isn't any field to grab. My solution would be to hav...

how to make a table with 10 million rows in one column?
how to make a table with 10 million rows in one column? Num 1 2 3 .. .. .. 10,000,000 thanks, pemt WHY! -- Build a little, test a little. "pemt" wrote: > how to make a table with 10 million rows in one column? > > Num > 1 > 2 > 3 > . > . > . > 10,000,000 > > thanks, > > pemt On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 09:44:01 -0700, pemt <pemt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >how to make a table with 10 million rows in one column? > >Num >1 >2 >3 >. >. >. >10,000,000 ...

Filtering records in a form
Greetings all, I work at a company with an IT department, but they are so busy, they do not have time for my trivial questions. I resort to the mass knowledge available to me by you wonderful people. I have a database of Issues entered by my agents. All of my agents have their own data entry form ex. FrmJohnDoe, FrmJaneDoe, FrmJohnSmith. Each of these forms automatically assign the agent name and date when the new record is created. All of these forms were created from the same table, TblMainData, that records each issue with a customer. To normalize the table, a look-up referenc...

Emailaddress missing in in Word 2007
I use Word as an email template. In Word 2003 I could insert the emailaddresses and then save the word document. If I open the Word 2003 document the emailaddesses are still there. If I do this in Word 2007 the emailaddresses are lost when I open the saved document again, and i have to insert the emailaddresses again. Is there a way to prevent this from happening? ...

report by date from a list of records
Hi The list is made up of records for training courses and includes start and end dates and course duration, i.e. Name of person, start: 1 mar 2010, ends 4 Mar 2010, duration 4 days What I need to do is create a consolidated report to show the amount of days a single person had training days per month/: headings of the report are: Name - Jan - Feb - Mar etc Colin 0 2 3 etc Hopes this helps and gratful for any help. :) UKMAN Hi This is how I see it: A B C D ...

tables and numbering
I have created a six column table in Publisher. The items in each column (or cell) are numbered items using " bullets/numbers". The first three columns are listing items by number 1,2,3, etc. However in the last three columns they are acting like they are linked: first column lists 1,2,3, second column lists 4, third column lists 5. Second and third columns should begin with listing "1". The formatting under the bullets/numbering option seems to be formatted correctly. Any ideas? Suggestions? Do a return, then another return, the next column will revert to one...

Intersection of tables
Hi How can I find intersection of two tables i.e. records in one table which are not in the second table while matching values in two fields simultaneously in each table i.e. matching table1.id1 and table1.id2 with table2.id1 and table2.id2 respectively? Thanks Regards Open to the database window and go to queries. Click on New and select UnMatched Query. See if that will work for you. PC Datasheet Providing Customers A Resource For Help With Access, Excel And Word Applications resource@pcdatasheet.com "John" <John@nospam.infovis.co.uk> wrote in message news:u...

Payroll time period conversion table
It would be useful to have a payroll time period conversion table to create the Pay Type options, similar to a unit of measure conversion. If that were possible, an hours to "day" to "week" conversion could be created to provide more flexibility. Currently, only a standard 8 hour, 5 day week correctly calculates overtime. Setting up conversion tables could facilitate union contracts and situations beyond the standard 8-hour, 5-day week -- 24 hour shifts; 4, 10-hour days; or extremely complex union day rates and work weeks. ---------------- This post is a suggestio...

Pivot Table Query #5
Hello I use Pivot Tables a lot in my stats and although I can normally work with them quite well, theres a reoccuring issue that I can't seem to resolve. I have one particular workbook that has lots of different worksheets and one at the end, with a variety of pivot tables on it. At the end of each month, I update the data on the worksheets, then on each pivot table, I use the wizard option to attempt to go back and re-select the relevant updated data. Sometimes this is successful, but on other (random) occasions, it won't let me and gives me the message 'A PivotTable...

2007 Table Linked Charts
I have a dataset with monthly data over several years. I want to chart only the current calendar year's monthly data, and have the chart update automatically as each of the newest month's data is added. One solution is to hide the prior years' monthly data rows in the table which removes them from the chart. This limits other charts that might be linked to the same table where they chart the whole or an earlier date range of the dataset. Linking tables doesn't work since the mirroring tables don't auto update as a new month is entered. Has anyone developed a better sol...

how can I link the status of a checkbox in excel to a field value.
I am trying to develop a form that can be filled in on the screen yet looks decent when printed. I have managed to insert checkboxes for a true or false question, however I can not figure out how to refer to whether the checkboxes are checked or not through a cell function. The reason is that I would like to refer to the checkboxes in a conditional count function. If you got the checkbox from the Forms toolbar, right click on it and select Format Control|Control Tab Assign it a nice cell link. Then when the checkbox is checked, you'll see TRUE in that cell. If you got the checkb...

Pivot Table selection that will allow Grouped fields to show up in each cell
Hello - Is there a Pivot Table selection that will allow Grouped fields to show up in each cell? The standard view generates a blank in each new row...but I need to be able to display the grouped data in each cell, rather than a blank if possible. For example: Month State Amount Jan TN 500 Blank KY 300 Blank GA 25 Feb TN 35 Blank KY 28 I am hoping there is a pivot table option that will allow me to display "Jan" instead of blanks in the above example Not through xl2007. I don't know about xl201...

Is it possible to link an Excel spreadsheet to a Word document an.
Is it possible to link an Excel spreadsheet to a word document and be able to perform calculations within the word document? "Infinity" <Infinity@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6BCAAB0D-BE04-4C7C-A078-6C96E946B335@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to link an Excel spreadsheet to a word document and be able to > perform calculations within the word document? Depends what you mean by "perform calculations within the word document". One thing you *can* do is copy an Excel range (inc formulas), then (in Word) Edit -- Paste Special (Excel Workshe...

Check Links in GP6.0
I'm new to a company that is running GP 6.0 and have not run Check Links for at least a year. Before I run against the live database I'd like to restore to a test company and run the process. My question is what kind of things should I do and look for to validate that the check links process was succesful. What I fear is that we run the process and find days later that it messed something up and we have to try and recover. Is there a checklist of things to look for? Thanks for any help! Jeff... Jeff, If check links changes anything at all, it will indicate so in a repor...

Clicking a link always starts new process
I have Outlook 2007 and IE7 running on a W2K3 terminal server (in execute mode). Here is the specific problem I have: there is a link to a website that requires a login in the e-mail. I click on the link in the e-mail and I am taken to the correct site and prompted for log in. After logging in, I am redirected to the content referenced from the link in the e-mail. In the same message, I click on another link that should take me to different content on the same site, opened in a new tab. However, a new iexplore process is started and I am once again prompted to log in. After loggi...

How do I record non-equal values?
How do I build a formula that would perform the following function?: C1 to list the values between 0 and 9 that are not equal to the values in A1 and B1 File Attached: http://www.exceltip.com/forum/attachment.php?postid=302650 (sample sheet.xls) ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Please do not attach anything. Try this in C1: =SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE("0123456789",A1,""),B1,"") HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message-...

How to add new fields to existing database table?
We added few new fields to an already existing database table. I need to add these new fields to the GP window and the user keys in the data and the whole record needs to be stored in the respective database table. Please let me know how to accomplish this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!! You should not add new fields to an existing GP table. GP tables are mapped with Dex table structure and any new fields cant be used on the screen. You must explore Dexterity before you should attempt it. You can also explore VBA and DUOS objects for additonal data storage. "Samit" ...

Adding/Updating a record in an SQL Server table using ODBC
Hi, This is a beginner's question. I tried to write an MFC aplication using SQL Server database as the back-end. I'm able to retrieve data from the required table but i'm unable to add/update records in the table as i'm getting a "Recordset read-only" error. What should I do? Is it required to add additional code to make it work? Please reply asap as this is part of my final year college project and time is running out. Thanks, Satish. check you have a primary key on the table. "Satish Chandrasekar" <yourdisplayname@discussions.microsoft.com&g...

Why does linked data from blank cells become a zero?
When linking data within the same workbook (to different tabs) any cell that is empty - shows up in the new tab as a ZERO (0).....what am I doing wrong? I want those cells to remain blank. That's just the way it is .. Instead of : =Sheet2!A1 you could use an error trap: =IF(Sheet2!A1="","",Sheet2!A1) Alternatively, we could suppress the display of extraneous zeros in the entire sheet via: Click Tools > Options > View tab > Uncheck "Zero values" > OK -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- GMT+8, 1� 22' N 103� 45' E xdemechanik <at>yahoo<dot&g...

Best way to add tables?
It seems difficult to draw precise tables in Pub 2002. Word offers more flexibility, but when I use Paste or Paste Special into Pub all formatting is lost, and it's time consuming to reformat everything. Is there a best way to do this? Doug Have you tried the "Import Word Document" from file? Once the document is in Publisher, select the table, copy, paste special, new table. Delete the Word document. You shouldn't lose formatting. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Doug" <doug@loc...

Sub Total In Pivot Table
I have a pivot table with its data in an Access table. When I choose table options to sum or sub total 2 colums at the bottom the words Sub Total show up at the far left but my columns are not summed?? When i add the data to the data area for summing it shows them in colum with data listing downward in a column like i want but no sub at the bottom. For example to add rows 1-25 in the hours colum it wont sum them up. HOURS FEES 3 2.00 2 5.00 1 3.00 --------------- 6 10.00 <------This doesnt happen unless I do it outside the pivot table ...

Access Note table in date order, when go to note form, dates are n
Help, I have checked everything and can't find the solution. I have a database that has date visited on the form. I want the last date visited displayed at bottom of form, and prior visits in order above. Anyhow, when I run the note table everything is in proper date order, however, when I put the notes in the note table, and look at it from there, they are NOT in date order. Has anyone had this happen to them? I will still be checking things, but I think I need some help on this quirky one. Thanks. -- Rachel Rollins Access stores records like a barrel of bricks, no...

Linking data in records
Is it possible to "link" 2 records in a table, such that a calculation can use information from 2 "consecutive" records? Let me explain. We are working on a database system where engineers will prepare service reports, timesheets, mileage sheets and expense claims within the database. On the mileage sheet, it would be very helpful if we could enter only start mileage and business mileage for a journey. When the next journey is started, the start mileage could be accessed by the previous record and used to calculate any private miles (eg Journey2 start - journey1 sta...