make table not replacing table on back end

Access 2003

I have split my database and distributed the FE to users
The database has an ODBC connection to Lotus Notes.
I create a make table query called q00NonconformMKTbl to dump the data from 
the Lotus Notes ODBC connection to the tNonconformance table.

But since the database is split when i run the Make table it is only 
updating on my instance of the FE.

Is there a why to do a Make table and specify to delete and recreate the 
table in the BE?

It was making me crazy until i figured why only my db was updating with 
lates data.


-- 
deb
0
Utf
2/5/2010 8:51:02 PM
access 16762 articles. 2 followers. Follow

11 Replies
817 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 59

Instead of dropping a table and creating a new one, create a delete query to 
remove all the records from the table in the BE then do an append query to 
populate it with the new records.
-- 
Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP 
Light. Strong. Cheap. Pick two. Keith Bontrager - Bicycle Builder.


"deb" wrote:

> Access 2003
> 
> I have split my database and distributed the FE to users
> The database has an ODBC connection to Lotus Notes.
> I create a make table query called q00NonconformMKTbl to dump the data from 
> the Lotus Notes ODBC connection to the tNonconformance table.
> 
> But since the database is split when i run the Make table it is only 
> updating on my instance of the FE.
> 
> Is there a why to do a Make table and specify to delete and recreate the 
> table in the BE?
> 
> It was making me crazy until i figured why only my db was updating with 
> lates data.
> 
> 
> -- 
> deb
0
Utf
2/5/2010 9:11:02 PM
Thank you for your response.
My main issue was that I needed to delete and append to a table on my back 
end.
Currently it is deleting and creating/appending a table on my FE.

I found a way to make it run the query on the BE table.

Thank you for your help!!
-- 
deb


"Jerry Whittle" wrote:

> Instead of dropping a table and creating a new one, create a delete query to 
> remove all the records from the table in the BE then do an append query to 
> populate it with the new records.
> -- 
> Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP 
> Light. Strong. Cheap. Pick two. Keith Bontrager - Bicycle Builder.
> 
> 
> "deb" wrote:
> 
> > Access 2003
> > 
> > I have split my database and distributed the FE to users
> > The database has an ODBC connection to Lotus Notes.
> > I create a make table query called q00NonconformMKTbl to dump the data from 
> > the Lotus Notes ODBC connection to the tNonconformance table.
> > 
> > But since the database is split when i run the Make table it is only 
> > updating on my instance of the FE.
> > 
> > Is there a why to do a Make table and specify to delete and recreate the 
> > table in the BE?
> > 
> > It was making me crazy until i figured why only my db was updating with 
> > lates data.
> > 
> > 
> > -- 
> > deb
0
Utf
2/5/2010 9:59:01 PM
On Fri, 5 Feb 2010 13:59:01 -0800, deb <deb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>My main issue was that I needed to delete and append to a table on my back 
>end.

You're mistaken, Deb. You do NOT need to delete the *table* and create a new
table to accomplish this task.

You need to delete the *data in the table* - with a Delete query, which can be
run from the frontend - and then run an Append query to refill the table.

This is actually much more efficient; there's a whole lot of overhead with
system tables, indexes, etc. that go into creating a new table. This can all
be avoided by keeping a table (which will usually be empty), filling it as
needed, and emptying it again. 

Whichever way you do it, you should regularly Compact the backend; whether you
delete a table or just the data in the table, Access won't recover the disk
space until you do so.

-- 

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0
John
2/6/2010 4:35:41 AM
John W. Vinson <jvinson@STOP_SPAM.WysardOfInfo.com> wrote in
news:97spm55a1rbror3khdc5jmji46guedf77a@4ax.com: 

> Whichever way you do it, you should regularly Compact the backend;
> whether you delete a table or just the data in the table, Access
> won't recover the disk space until you do so.

I think making regular batch deletes a part of your app's operation
is a mistake. Records that need to be deleted and replaced with
something else are temporary data and belong in a temp database, not
in the back end. 

I recently helped a company troubleshoot problems with an app they
have that uses Jet Replication. They were hitting the point where
synching their replicas would fail, and it turned out the
MSysTombstone table (the table that tracks record deletions; think
about what replication is doing and you'll realize there has to be a
table tracking deletions) was enormous. When I deleted all the data
from one of their replicas, half the data was the tombstone table
(350MBs for tombstones only, vs. 730MB for the original replica).
Anyway, the issue was caused by a design that deleted huge batches
of records and replaced them wholesale with new records on a regular
basis. 

Now, absent replication this would not have completely broken the
app, but it was a bad idea even in a non-replicated environment. The
basic principle is to avoid churning the data in your back end. This
minimizes the fragmentation of the data file, which in turn enhances
performance, but also means you don't have to compact the back end
as often. 

Storing temp records in your back end is simply a bad idea.

-- 
David W. Fenton                  http://www.dfenton.com/ 
usenet at dfenton dot com    http://www.dfenton.com/DFA/
0
David
2/6/2010 10:48:55 PM
On 6 Feb 2010 22:48:55 GMT, "David W. Fenton" <XXXusenet@dfenton.com.invalid>
wrote:

>John W. Vinson <jvinson@STOP_SPAM.WysardOfInfo.com> wrote in
>news:97spm55a1rbror3khdc5jmji46guedf77a@4ax.com: 
>
>> Whichever way you do it, you should regularly Compact the backend;
>> whether you delete a table or just the data in the table, Access
>> won't recover the disk space until you do so.
>
>I think making regular batch deletes a part of your app's operation
>is a mistake. Records that need to be deleted and replaced with
>something else are temporary data and belong in a temp database, not
>in the back end. 
>
>I recently helped a company troubleshoot problems with an app they
>have that uses Jet Replication. They were hitting the point where
>synching their replicas would fail, and it turned out the
>MSysTombstone table (the table that tracks record deletions; think
>about what replication is doing and you'll realize there has to be a
>table tracking deletions) was enormous. When I deleted all the data
>from one of their replicas, half the data was the tombstone table
>(350MBs for tombstones only, vs. 730MB for the original replica).
>Anyway, the issue was caused by a design that deleted huge batches
>of records and replaced them wholesale with new records on a regular
>basis. 
>
>Now, absent replication this would not have completely broken the
>app, but it was a bad idea even in a non-replicated environment. The
>basic principle is to avoid churning the data in your back end. This
>minimizes the fragmentation of the data file, which in turn enhances
>performance, but also means you don't have to compact the back end
>as often. 
>
>Storing temp records in your back end is simply a bad idea.

Agreed... but storing temp *tables* in your front OR backend is an even worse
idea.

Thanks for the suggestion about using a scratch database. The optimum solution
is not to store temporary records at all, but to use dynamic queries, of
course!
-- 

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0
John
2/6/2010 11:53:05 PM
John W. Vinson <jvinson@STOP_SPAM.WysardOfInfo.com> wrote in
news:s20sm5tdrarj5g5n5g6mda3fpnufvcmrlb@4ax.com: 

> Thanks for the suggestion about using a scratch database. The
> optimum solution is not to store temporary records at all, but to
> use dynamic queries, of course!

Temp records are really helpful in some cases, and don't take nearly
as long to create as you might think. I used to redo Access 2
reports to use temp tables when the recordset got "too complex" (a
problem that hardly ever happens since the introduction of Jet 3.x
and later). Replacing the dynamicy queries with temp tables
populated on the fly did not slow down the reports at all -- in some
cases it speeded things up dramatically. 

I use temp tables for search results forms in nearly all my apps. It
makes it much easier to have a flag field for selecting/eliminating
records in a resultset that you want to do things with. 

Almost all of my apps have a minimum of two back ends, the shared
back end data tables and a temp database stored in the same folder
as the front end. Some apps have temp databases for shared
"temporary" results (my two latest both do, in fact) that are stored
in the same folder as the back end. 

-- 
David W. Fenton                  http://www.dfenton.com/ 
usenet at dfenton dot com    http://www.dfenton.com/DFA/
0
David
2/8/2010 2:27:55 AM
On 8 Feb 2010 02:27:55 GMT, "David W. Fenton" <XXXusenet@dfenton.com.invalid>
wrote:

>John W. Vinson <jvinson@STOP_SPAM.WysardOfInfo.com> wrote in
>news:s20sm5tdrarj5g5n5g6mda3fpnufvcmrlb@4ax.com: 
>
>> Thanks for the suggestion about using a scratch database. The
>> optimum solution is not to store temporary records at all, but to
>> use dynamic queries, of course!
>
>Temp records are really helpful in some cases, and don't take nearly
>as long to create as you might think. I used to redo Access 2
>reports to use temp tables when the recordset got "too complex" (a
>problem that hardly ever happens since the introduction of Jet 3.x
>and later). Replacing the dynamicy queries with temp tables
>populated on the fly did not slow down the reports at all -- in some
>cases it speeded things up dramatically. 
>
>I use temp tables for search results forms in nearly all my apps. It
>makes it much easier to have a flag field for selecting/eliminating
>records in a resultset that you want to do things with. 
>
>Almost all of my apps have a minimum of two back ends, the shared
>back end data tables and a temp database stored in the same folder
>as the front end. Some apps have temp databases for shared
>"temporary" results (my two latest both do, in fact) that are stored
>in the same folder as the back end. 

Interesting. Do you use code to create a new .mdb "scratch" database using
CreateDatabase, or do you have a dedicated database for the purpose? If the
latter, might this be one of the (probably rare) cases where Compact on Close
would be appropriate?
-- 

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0
John
2/8/2010 3:10:26 AM
On Sun, 07 Feb 2010 20:10:26 -0700, John W. Vinson
<jvinson@STOP_SPAM.WysardOfInfo.com> wrote:

>Interesting. Do you use code to create a new .mdb "scratch" database using
>CreateDatabase, or do you have a dedicated database for the purpose? 

In our apps, we use a persistent dedicated "work" database to hold
temporary and working tables.  It lives in the same folder as the
front-end application and is delivered at the same time.  Our J Street
Access Relinker (http://ow.ly/M56Q) relinks to it silently and
automatically.

Our work tables are for storing data for this local session only.
They're used for complex reports, Word merges, Excel exports, complex
updates and processing, etc.  The objects themselves are persistent
and the structure is usually static except when we add columns for
variable Excel exports.  We typically Delete * at the beginning of our
process, and leave the tables loaded at the end to facilitate
diagnostics.

>If the
>latter, might this be one of the (probably rare) cases where Compact on Close
>would be appropriate?

If we're concerned about database bloat in the work database, we
compact it using VBA during the startup of the application.  We
haven't used Compact on Close, because we like to be able to trap any
errors that might occur.

Armen Stein
Microsoft Access MVP
www.JStreetTech.com
 
0
Armen
2/8/2010 3:31:53 PM
John W. Vinson <jvinson@STOP_SPAM.WysardOfInfo.com> wrote in
news:t20vm55u0eiufetqqdf1lekhv7mpobelua@4ax.com: 

> On 8 Feb 2010 02:27:55 GMT, "David W. Fenton"
> <XXXusenet@dfenton.com.invalid> wrote:

>>Almost all of my apps have a minimum of two back ends, the shared
>>back end data tables and a temp database stored in the same folder
>>as the front end. Some apps have temp databases for shared
>>"temporary" results (my two latest both do, in fact) that are
>>stored in the same folder as the back end. 
> 
> Interesting. Do you use code to create a new .mdb "scratch"
> database using CreateDatabase, or do you have a dedicated database
> for the purpose? If the latter, might this be one of the (probably
> rare) cases where Compact on Close would be appropriate?

Years ago, I kept a template database, tmp.bak, and copied it over
top of the tmp.mdb each time the app was loaded, but I've gotten
lazy about that and do nothing at all. I just let it bloat. I really
don't give a rat's ass that the temp database is bloated. 

I wouldn't use compact on close for that because:

1. nobody ever opens the tmp.mdb, so it would never get called, so
what's the point? 

2. should a user accidentally open it and it got corrupted during
and uncancellable compact, I'd have a support call. 

No benefit, potential downside -- the obvious choice is to not use
it. 

I'm pretty categorical about this. There is NO circumstance in which
anyone should ever use COMPACT ON CLOSE. 

-- 
David W. Fenton                  http://www.dfenton.com/ 
usenet at dfenton dot com    http://www.dfenton.com/DFA/
0
David
2/9/2010 12:33:36 AM
On 9 Feb 2010 00:33:36 GMT, "David W. Fenton" <XXXusenet@dfenton.com.invalid>
wrote:

>Years ago, I kept a template database, tmp.bak, and copied it over
>top of the tmp.mdb each time the app was loaded, but I've gotten
>lazy about that and do nothing at all. I just let it bloat. I really
>don't give a rat's ass that the temp database is bloated. 

Probably safe in most cases - but if the user *often* creates *big* temp
tables, couldn't it get to the 2GByte limit and generate another unwelcome
support call?

>I'm pretty categorical about this. There is NO circumstance in which
>anyone should ever use COMPACT ON CLOSE. 

<g> Sounds good to me!
-- 

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0
John
2/9/2010 2:48:18 AM
John W. Vinson <jvinson@STOP_SPAM.WysardOfInfo.com> wrote in
news:d5j1n5lnrgpidsj4u93d4t71tn2dhjqb4p@4ax.com: 

> On 9 Feb 2010 00:33:36 GMT, "David W. Fenton"
> <XXXusenet@dfenton.com.invalid> wrote:
> 
>>Years ago, I kept a template database, tmp.bak, and copied it over
>>top of the tmp.mdb each time the app was loaded, but I've gotten
>>lazy about that and do nothing at all. I just let it bloat. I
>>really don't give a rat's ass that the temp database is bloated. 
> 
> Probably safe in most cases - but if the user *often* creates
> *big* temp tables, couldn't it get to the 2GByte limit and
> generate another unwelcome support call?

Given that the source databases are not even close to having 2GBs of
data (I don't even have any that are close to 500MBs), I can't see
how the temp db could get that large, even if it had, say, 500%
bloat overhead. Jet really does re-use data pages instead of just
allocating new ones, so bloat stops at a certain point, even with
daily churn. 

-- 
David W. Fenton                  http://www.dfenton.com/ 
usenet at dfenton dot com    http://www.dfenton.com/DFA/
0
David
2/9/2010 9:46:22 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

How do I delete pages in Excel? Keeps printing blank pages at end.
I'm printing charts in Excel. Some of them are adding blank pages at the end of the charts. How do I get rid of these? Several ways: 1) Change the location of the chart to have its own sheet. Do this by right clicking the chart, go to "Location" and putting it on it's own sheet. Then you should be able to print it by itself without any white stuff. 2) Make sure that the page breaks are defined well. Go to View -> Page Break Preview . From there, you can move around the blue lines to determine your page breaks. Then, when you're printing it, make sure that you c...

Replacing "OR" with a character separator
When I am using a form to view data and use the Filter by Selection option I would like to use a character separator between the multiple values rather than typing the word OR between: Rather than type "Bob OR Alice OR Susan" I would rather type "Bob, Alice, Susan" or some similar character Anyone know how to do this? IN("Bob", "Alice", "Susan") -- Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP "RandallMJ" wrote: > When I am using a form to view data and use the Filter by Selection option I > would like to use a character separator...

Make Default
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: Exchange Hi I have a script to open entourage to configure a account, although the first time round for every user the script stops due to the message in Entourage asking would you like to make entourage you default browser. <br> Anyone have a script to set this to default or any way of setting this so it never ask's ? <br><br>thanks This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ----------------709806166701805979 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1; format=flowed C...

Making a Pivot chart from 3 differnt sets of data / worksheets.
Hi, I have 2 workshsheets of data with a list of delivery dates of about 10 different products over the last 3 years, (i cant combine these to just 1 worksheet for other separate reasons) and a 3rd worksheet with a column of the same products and dates that some of these products became faulty and were sent back to me . On a 4th worksheet, I am trying to do a graph that looks at the 3 worksheets and plots pivot table of dates and amount of each product deliveries & returned to me. So as i select ,say, product A from that pivot list, it produces a graph for these 3 variables (dat...

Roll Back PO after voiding a PO invoice
Does anyone know if there's any tool or program that would allow a PO to automatically roll back the amount of the PO invoice which was voided? For example, a PO was received against and invoiced in Purchase Order. Then, the invoice is voided in Payables Management. What we would like to see is that the receipt would be voided as well and that the PO will roll back the amount of the receipt so that it can be received again. ...

making a transfer show up in the budget
Hi all. I am running MS money 2006. How do I make a transfer show up in my budget? I have several liabilities and credit cards, and I would like to make a budget with the monthly amount owed to each creditor showing up in my budget. The MS Money 2006 standard program does not allow me, as far as I can tell, to make a monthly transfer to a credit card or liability show up in my budget, unless I make it a category. Any help with this is much appreciated. thanks See http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=124 for the short answer. You may be more interested in "cash flow" than &qu...

How make a favorite for all users in Ex2007/OWA/Documents area?
I am playing around with OWA in 2007 and exploring the "documents" feature of OWA that allows users to view Windows file shares by UNC. There is the individual "add to favories" option, but does anyone know of a way to administratively specify a favorite for all users? The alternative seems to be logon as each user to setup the same favorite--surely that is not the only way? Thanks for any help! Evan ...

link to the exchange table is missing
We have had several transactions; receiving and AP apply batches (and possibly others) in which the link to the exchange table is missing (in receivings new transactions cannot be saved as the exchange rate can't be found). We have been using GP without incident for a long time & no obvious processes were run prior to this error occurring. I ran Check Links & still receive the error. Is a valid exchange rate listed? They do expire and the parameters of your setup determine how long they are valid. -- Richard L. Whaley Author / Consultant / MVP 2006-2008 Docu...

Merging two tables
I have two tables in Access, and want to link each of them to a single table. If I use the File, Get External Data, Link Tables option, it creates two tables that are each linked to a single table. One way of solving this is to do as above, and then merge the two linked tables. How do I merge tables? Do the two tables have the same structure (fields and data types)? If so, you could use an append query to append one table's records to the other. Steve "Steven" wrote: > I have two tables in Access, and want to link each of them to a single table. > > If I use ...

making tickets
what is the best way to make numbered tickets using Publisher 2002? Hi lc (rconnell@numail.org), in the Microsoft Office Publisher newsgroup you posted: || what is the best way to make numbered tickets using || Publisher 2002? Check out the following link: http://www.mvps.org/publisher/numbering1.html -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Office Publisher MVP Official Publisher MVP Site: http://www.kvalheim.org This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. >-----Original Message----- >what is the best way to make numbered tickets using >Publi...

Combine Data from Two Tables Options
Our company has two databases, one for international customers and one for US customers. These two table contain the same fields but seperate data (see below). Is there any way I can creat a query to show me all the records? Is this possible Table 1 US Customers CustomerName SalesRep StartDate AAA111 A 01/01/08 BBB222 B 05/01/07 CCC333 C 01/01/07 Table 2 International Customers CustomerName SalesRep StartDate DDD444 ...

AN OPPORTUNITY TO MAKE $$$
THIS REALLY WORKS IF YOU FOLLOW THROUGH!!! MAKE MONEY!!! MAKE MONEY!!! MAKE THOUSANDS OF "$$$" !!! I found this "NETWORKING PROJECT" on a bulletin board and decided to try it: All I say is, it "WORKS". All it takes is a small INVESTMENT of your "TIME" AND "less than $10.00"! INTERESTED??? E-mail: "spotty3443@yahoo.com" for DETAILS. ...

Setting up tables for grades
I do not understand why I am not understanding this, but I am trying to set up a form for inputing student grades. There are 13 classes that I need to track grades for (currently) as well as a composite grade. I have a table (tblStudents) with the student information (including [StudentID]), a table (tblCourses) with course names(two fields, one [CourseID], the other [Course]), and a table (tblCourseGrades) to keep track of the grades ([GradeID], [StudentID], [CourseID], [Grade]). I'm thinking I'm understanding relational design and I have the table set-up correct, but...

how do you make all incoming emails bold?
"Beth" <Beth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CD76AE42-9EC9-44C8-90FB-3A0566671AC4@microsoft.com... > I could've sworn there was a message here, but when I looked the body was completely blank. Oh well, guess the poster really didn't want to ask a question. how do you make all incoming emails bold? "Vanguard (NPI)" wrote: > "Beth" <Beth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message > news:CD76AE42-9EC9-44C8-90FB-3A0566671AC4@microsoft.com... > > > > > I could've sworn there was a messag...

How do I make the X-Axis increase in scale with the quantity?
For example: If I have the values 1.5, 3.5, 8.7, 9.9 in the x values for a line graph, is there anyway to make them spaced apart so that they are in scale with eachother... Like so the distance between 3.5 and 8.7 is larger than, the distance between 1.5 and 3.5? Create a XY Scatter chart. It, and a bubble chart, are the only 2 that allow for cardinals values on the x axis. -- Regards, Tushar Mehta www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Custom MS Office productivity solutions In article <F2D3DC58-86D3-4D21-9D57-F704A78941FB@microsoft.com>, =?Utf- 8...

How to make VLOOKUP work for this
I have a "master" spreadsheet where column A is a time column and every row represents a second (in plain text format) such as 00:00, 00:01, 00:02.... 00:59:, 01:00, 01:01, 01:02,... and continues on for 24 minutes... 23:59, 24:00. (1442 rows). Off to the side (I'm thinking of putting it on another sheet though) I have a small table where I'll enter the time and corresponding data I need populated in Column B, and will look something like the following example; My question(s) are, is the VLOOKUP function the best way to populate column B with the values? It's ...

Make Personal Calendar Read Only
I would like to make a users personal calendar read-only to the user. The individuals calendar is delegated to about 5 others and they need full access, but I do not want the end-user to have full access but read only. How do I go about changing these permissions? Thanks, Brian I don't believe that is even possible through the standard means, it is a little bizarre. You may be able to do it through a tool like ADSIEdit. Nue "HoosierDaddy" <bjorgenson@charter.net> wrote in message news:1139250053.396235.106790@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com... >I would like to make a...

Inserting a formula into a Word Table
How do you insert a multiplication formula in the last cell of a Word Table so that it only multiples the two previous cells, or the is there a way to pick the cells that you want it to use for the formula? Insert a formula field and do the calculations as you would in Excel. For example: { = A1*A2 } would multiply the values in cell A1 and A2. To insert the field delimiters, { }, press Ctrl+F9. Type in the code. Use F9 to update the result. To show/hide field codes in the selection, use Shift+F9. To show/hide field codes in the whole document, use Alt+F9. Note that table calcul...

How do I make more than 12 entries in excel balance sheet templat.
The excel balance sheet template is exactly what I need. How do I get it to expand to an infinite number of entries?? office xp ...

Converting a LPSTR* to BSTR* and back again.
Hi I'm trying to integrate a PowerBuilder 8 application with a replacement component written in C#. To integrate the two I've created a MFC C++ dll which calls a COM callable wrapper around the C# dll. I know almost nothing about C++ but I've managed to get all these elements talking to each other. However, one of the methods takes a ref string which, between the PowerBuilder call and the C++ dll is a LPSTR*, from the C++ method to the COM wrapper it needs to be a BSTR* and this is where I'm stuck. How do I take a LPSTR* make it BSTR* and then back again? Any help gr...

Is it Possible to make a table from a query without a Make Table Q
Is it possible to make a table with a query as the record source, without using a Make Table Query. The reason that I as is that I have a rather large database that I use to create tables for each day of the month based on activity recieved from a larger database. I use one Pass-Through query as the source for 31 Make Table queries. The reason I have done this is because I need to segregate the activity by date so that I can produce daily averages over the entire month. The reason that I have had to break each one per day is the Pass Through query is huge (returning 7,000,000 + rec...

Making a bmp transparent
Using Publisher 2000 Windows 98SE Is it possible to make a graphic file transparent? I'm attempting to create a motivational cartoon and would like to have a couple of scenes in the background. To do this I think I need to make an image file transparent. Can it be done? I have Paint Shop Pro and MS Paint. I have the challenge in the file, "Problem.zip" which can be downloaded at: http://www.tinyurl.com/wifs On the "Odds, Ends & Funny Things page. Click on the Snowman. 'Appreciate the help. -- Don -------- Vancouver, USA - One of the great cities in one of...

Update multiple fields in table from form
access 2003 optCTorSTorGEN is an option group on the main form fWarrantyUnit. If there is a change in the selection of the opt group, I would like 3 fields in the subforms table, set to Null where WarrantyUnitID = strWarrantyUnitID the subform is fWarrantyDetails and is a continuous form so the fields will need to be set for each recordset where WarrantyUnitID = strWarrantyUnitID The fields are optHPorIPorLP, BB1 and BB2 and are all Numeric. Private Sub optCTorSTorGEN_AfterUpdate() strWarrantyUnitID = WarrantyUnitID.Value CurrentDb.Execute "UPDATE...

How to make Frames??
how to make frames in microsoft publisher??? You use the Tool called TEXT FRAME Pretty easy I would have thought - obviously a challenge for some. -- i try to find in tool section.. but there is no button called TEXT FRAME? can u tell me the steps! PLZ!! Thankx.. and one more question.. i would link some sites... but i want that link(site) to be pop up in new window.? how to do it??? i've been trying to find it.. but then it always pop up in same window.. and could u tell me the steps?? plz. Thanzk Trust me, there is most definitely a button called Text Frame. Look in the HEL...

Array/Table: Looking up values?
I have a table set up in excel like so; A B C 1 x1 y1 z1 2 x2 y2 z2 3 x3 y3 z3 I want to be able to enter the y and x co-oridinetes and have excel return the value. For instance I want to find out the output for the combination 1A which is x1. I have not been able to figure out a way to do this, but I am sure it is possible. I have been trying to use the if and array funciton to no avail. Any help appreciated. Thanks. =INDEX($B$2:$D$4,MATCH(1,$A$2:$A$4,0),MATCH("A",$B$1:$D$1,0)) The last argument in Match depends on whether A2:A4 and B1:D1 are sorted in ascending order. I...