Make a text box expand or shrink based on size of the value

I am working on a report in design view.  Is there a way to have a text box
get longer or shrink according to the value?  For example, one of the headers
is "Operations" while another header is "Resource Integration."

***Since the text box has a blue fill, there will be empty space within the
text box if I make it large enough to fit the longest word.  Therefore, I
want the text box to expand or shrink as necessary.

Any input is appreciated.  Thanks!

Glen
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Set the 'Can Grow' property to Yes.

--
Build a little, test a little.

"*Glen*" wrote:

> I am working on a report in design view.  Is there a way to have a text box
> get longer or shrink according to the value?  For example, one of the headers
> is "Operations" while another header is "Resource Integration."
>
> ***Since the text box has a blue fill, there will be empty space within the
> text box if I make it large enough to fit the longest word.  Therefore, I
> want the text box to expand or shrink as necessary.
>
> Any input is appreciated.  Thanks!
>
> Glen
You can check out the following site
    www.lebans.com

If there is a way to do what you want there will be an example on that site.

John Spencer
Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2009
The Hilltop Institute
University of Maryland Baltimore County

*Glen* wrote:
> I am working on a report in design view.  Is there a way to have a text box
> get longer or shrink according to the value?  For example, one of the headers
> is "Operations" while another header is "Resource Integration."
>
> ***Since the text box has a blue fill, there will be empty space within the
> text box if I make it large enough to fit the longest word.  Therefore, I
> want the text box to expand or shrink as necessary.
>
> Any input is appreciated.  Thanks!
>
> Glen
0
John
11/19/2009 5:51:04 PM
For the text box, 'Can Grow' and 'Can Shrink' are both set to Yes.  The field
does not widen; instead, the words wrap and the field height expands.  Can I
make the length of the field expand so the entire phrase is on the same line?

"KARL DEWEY" wrote:

> Set the 'Can Grow' property to Yes.
>
> --
> Build a little, test a little.
>

> "*Glen*" wrote:
>
> > I am working on a report in design view.  Is there a way to have a text box
> > get longer or shrink according to the value?  For example, one of the headers
> > is "Operations" while another header is "Resource Integration."
> >
> > ***Since the text box has a blue fill, there will be empty space within the
> > text box if I make it large enough to fit the longest word.  Therefore, I
> > want the text box to expand or shrink as necessary.
> >
> > Any input is appreciated.  Thanks!
> >
> > Glen
>>Can I make the length of the field expand so the entire phrase is on the
same line?
Open in design view and drag the right side as wide as you need it.

--
Build a little, test a little.

"*Glen*" wrote:

> For the text box, 'Can Grow' and 'Can Shrink' are both set to Yes.  The field
> does not widen; instead, the words wrap and the field height expands.  Can I
> make the length of the field expand so the entire phrase is on the same line?
>
> "KARL DEWEY" wrote:
>
> > Set the 'Can Grow' property to Yes.
> >
> > --
> > Build a little, test a little.
> >

> > "*Glen*" wrote:
> >
> > > I am working on a report in design view.  Is there a way to have a text box
> > > get longer or shrink according to the value?  For example, one of the headers
> > > is "Operations" while another header is "Resource Integration."
> > >
> > > ***Since the text box has a blue fill, there will be empty space within the
> > > text box if I make it large enough to fit the longest word.  Therefore, I
> > > want the text box to expand or shrink as necessary.
> > >
> > > Any input is appreciated.  Thanks!
> > >
> > > Glen

Formatting Coloured Text
I am able to download a daily Excel file consisting of one worksheet. The font is coloured mainly black, red and blue. Black indicates neutral, red negative and blue positive. Could I fill the red and blue font cells with a piece of code, so that they are more visible and throw up possible patterns? Say blue, font with a yellow background and red with green which would give a good contrast Try this little code snippet Sub TheFontColor() Dim Mud As Range, cell As Range Set Mud = Range("A1:C5") For Each cell In Mud If cell.Font.ColorIndex = 5 _ Then cell.Interior.Col...

Outlook Message start with white text and white background...
I am having an issue with Outlook whereas when I write a message... It starts with white text on a white background? WE will presume that you have already checked under Tools->options->mail format->fonts? If yes, are you using Word as your editor and have you chosen a Style that uses this font color against a dark background? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, Ron.... asked: | I am having an issue...

Make Default

size the splitter panes
Dear members: In my program , I am using a splitter class to split the main window and i dont want to size the pains i am splitting the window into 3 parts. and the code like this CreateStatic(pParent,2,1); m_pwndSplitter = new CSplitterWnd; VERIFY(m_pwndSplitter->CreateStatic(this,1, 2,m_dwStyle, this->IdFromRowCol(1,0))); VERIFY(CreateView(0,0,m_pFirstView, m_FirstViewSize,m_pContext));((CTop*)(GetPane( 0, 0 )))->m_viewports = m_pwndSplitter; VERIFY(m_pwndSplitter->CreateView (0,0,m_pSecView,m_SecViewSize,m_pContext)); VERIFY(m_pwndSplitter->CreateView (0,1...

Combo Box problem 02-15-10
Hi I have 3 tables and 3 associated forms in an 2007 access database. On each form is a combo box "Name Search" so that one can input 2 or 3 letters of a surname and get a drop down list of names matching the input. All three Combo Boxes were set up in an identical manner using the wizard. The Main Menu has three buttons where you choose which table (or dbase) you wish to query. I now have a situation where 2 of the 3 combo boxes will not accept input (i.e. do not work) If I copy the Row Source from the one combo box that always works to one of the other two...

conditional formatting #value!
Hi Is it possible to create a conditional formatting condition that can detect the condition of #VALUE! ? That is NOT the text string but the "error condition". What I am trying to highlight is that certain calculated values have not been correctly calculated on the sheet and need further investigation. Thanks Clive Hi Clive, Use the 'Formula Is' option on the conditional formating dialog and enter the following, assuming the cells is A1. =ERROR.TYPE(A1)=3 You can also use the Go To dialog (CTRL+G), Special... to locate cells with Errors. Cheers Andy Clive Long...

hide a section depending on bit value...
Hi 2 sections on a form: 'pers' and 'pers_kat' On the 'pers' section I have a bit (yes/no) radio button that I would like to be the trigger to hide/show the 'pers_kat' section incl. the attributes On the pers_kat there's 6 different attributes - the attributes name are: hw_pl_komp1 hw_pl_komp2 hw_pl_komp3 hw_pl_komp4 hw_pl_komp5 hw_pl_komp6 the: //hide section crmForm.all.ap_pl_komp1_c.parentElement.parentElement.style.display='none'; //show section crmForm.all.ap_pl_komp1_c.parentElement.parentElement.style.display=''; won't work....

Outlook 2003 email reply text missing?
Has anyone experienced the following?: I have received two email replies this evening (from earlier, separate emails I sent) which appear to be simply a copy of my original email (i.e., no reply text). The first one I received did not trigger any alarms as I figured the fellow simply hit the reply key in error, but when I received a similar one later from another individual, I began probing. I emailed one of the guys and asked if he had, as I surmised, simply hit the reply key in error. He responded quickly, but with another email which contained only my emails-- and none of his reply text...

making a transfer show up in the budget

How do you change cells with formula's to the value or text?
In lotus it is possible to change the formula in a cell to the text or the number that that formula returns. Of course, you can not reverse it, but in is very helpful sometimes. Is that possible in Excel CTRL + ~ will toggle between formulas and values -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL2K & XLXP ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Attitude - A little thing that makes a BIG difference ----------------------------------------------------------------------------...

Reversing name values in a field
Hi, I have a field called CustomerName that has values that are last name, first name. So there is a value of Smith, John which is John Smith. I want to preserve the value in this field but create a new field called CustomerName1 that has John Smith in it. It would need to somehow reverse the values based on the comma delimeter and then get rid of the comma. Can someone help? Thanks, -- Chuck W LN = Left$(CustomerName, InStr(CustomerName, ",") - 1) FN = Right$(CustomerName, Len(CustomerName) - InStr(CustomerName, ",")) -Dorian "ChuckW" wrote:...

trimming text
I'm working with mutual fund names that have the share class attached to the end. I'm trying to write the formula that would trim them so that just the name appears. For example: I have... I need.... Acorn Growth A Acorn Growth Acorn Growth B Acorn Growth Munder Total Return A Munder Total Return Munder Total Return C Munder Total Return Munder Total Return I Munder Total Return One way: =TRIM(LEFT(A1, FIND("$", SUBSTITUTE(A1, " ", "$", LEN(A1) - LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1, "...

Save workbook as a Text file
Hi, I have recorded a macro to store an Excel workbook as a .* txt file. The result from the macro-recorder is mentioned below --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ActiveWorkbook. SaveAs Filename:="C:\Temp\map1.txt", _ FileFormat:=xlTextMSDOS, CreateBackup:=False --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- If I carry out above action manually the text is taken over exactly the same as in the workbook, however if I carry out the action by using the above a macro, some data with "quotations ma...

making tickets

AN OPPORTUNITY TO MAKE $$$

Where are my auto text entries?
I recently re-installed Office 2003 on a computer. I did not delete the previous installation...I went to Add / Remove Programs and selected all of the components to Always Run From My Computer. Now, when I try and use my auto text entries in Word, they are gone! I literally have dozens of them. Is there a way that a I can recover them? Please help! Thanks Cindy Where did you save your AutoText entries? If you saved them in the Normal template (which is the default), and you didn't delete that template, the entries should remain intact. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft...

Error when expanding public folders under Ex2003 System Manager... Cannot rename SSL Cert
Hi, I'm getting the following error within the Exchange System Manager when I expand public folders: --------------------------- The SSL certificate server name is incorrect. ID no: c103b404 Exchange System Manager --------------------------- I researched, and found various articles on this (such as http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324345), and the proposed solution is to correct the ssl certificate name within IIS. I can't do that, however, because the certificate is correct. We have a 3rd party trusted certificate for office.fhsaa.org, which we use of OWA. So, I can't j...

How to make VLOOKUP work for this

Text editing in a cell
How do I insert a line break within a cell when I am writing a line of text?? - when I press enter I go to the next cell!! Help Hi Barbara ALT+ENTER will do -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Barbara wrote: > How do I insert a line break within a cell when I am writing a line > of text?? - when I press enter I go to the next cell!! Help ...

I wish to assign Quantity the value of [Quantity]-[OrderAmt]
Hello I have a some related tables (and the relationships work fine on the form) two of the fields are [tblBrochures]![Quanity] and [tblOrders]![OrderAmt], both the fields are "single" and bound I wish to assign Quantity the value of [Quantity]-[OrderAmt] Can you tell me how to do this please? Thanks Tony, Ummm, could be me but I don't get it... Did you mean you want to show the Balance in a Text Box? -- Gina Whipp 2010 Microsoft MVP (Access) "I feel I have been denied critical, need to know, information!" - Tremors II http://ww...