Maintaining Links

All, I have a db that is linked to a table of another db. They are kept in
one folder. Whenver I move the folder to another comp or change the location
I need to re-link. How do I maintain the link so that I don't have to relink
every time I move the folder? Thanks in advance.
access 16762 articles. 2 followers. Follow

What you are asking is "How can I be in 2 places at the same time?"  Do I
really need to answer that? On the other hand, you can have the front-end
app automatically ask for the new location. Have a look at the following:

http://www.mvps.org/access/tables/tbl0009.htm
--
Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
http://www.datastrat.com

"alish" <alish@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> All, I have a db that is linked to a table of another db. They are kept in
> one folder. Whenver I move the folder to another comp or change the
> location
> I need to re-link. How do I maintain the link so that I don't have to
> relink
> every time I move the folder? Thanks in advance.

0
Arvin

How do I maintain formatting?
I'm using Word 2K and when I save as a .txt file all formatting is lost. I use a Text to HTML converter prior to uploading to a website. How do I go about preserving the formatting so that the web doc looks like the one I created in Word? Best regards, -- VHH III Txt is plain text and that does not support formatting. Html does support formatting, but its requirements are entirely different from those of a Word document and so there is little correlation between the two. You can view what the Word document will look like in html by using the Web view. -- <>&...

Correct Links via Crystal
Ive gone thru this 100 times and im struggling - it seems easy enough but this is what i have: (i think ive asked this before not sure) want to create a report showing Customer and Inventory - then all forecast figures and all actual figures (not concerned about specific dates yet) No issues linking thru RM to SCO tables to retrieve forecast info Probs start when trying to link in sop30200 (custno) and sop30300 (item and qty) Im using inner joins for these ie field = field , but they seem to play havoc with the forecats figures. Ill be working on this until resolved Thanks muchly Theo :)...

Problems linking Excel ranges to Powerpoint
I have a set of charts linked to Excel. Some are specific charts from Excel and they link with no problems. I have some charts that point to a specific Excel range. These are not linking. Powerpoint is not seeing the file. I have the Excel file open to help expedite the linking process. Does anyone have a suggestion? Thanks. hi, Russ ! > I have a set of charts linked to Excel. > Some are specific charts from Excel and they link with no problems. > I have some charts that point to a specific Excel range. These are not linking. > Powerpoint is not seeing the file. I have...

Help. Linking issue
I copied a worksheet that had links to other worksheets into a new workbook. Even though I have re-directed all of the links to the new workbook, I still get the message "This workbook contains links to other data sources" when I open it. How do I find out what links may still be haunting me, if they are still there? Bill Manville's FindLink.zip addin is useful for dealing with links. http://www.bmsltd.co.uk/MVP/MVPPage.asp#BillManville HTH Paul -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Be advised to...

Old Links; Removal of
Anyone have code and/or a .xla which will remove inherited-outdated links from a w/s which no longer needs the link. I am surprised that MS does not offer a delete link button in the Edit>Links "boxes." Thanks in advance It does - 2002 onwards. Prior to that, go pick up a copy of Bill Manvilles FINDLINK function which is freely downloadable from the following site:- http://www.bmsltd.co.uk/MVP/Default.htm -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 00/02/03 --------------------------------------...

Linking Files
I am using Excel 2003 and would like to do the following: I have one file that I’d like to use as a list that all other files within this project would refer to; this file is simply a list of billing reasons. Within the multiple (~30) other files I would like to be able to use a drop down list (in column N) that’s using the data in the “billing reasons” file. I was informed that this may not work because the “billing reasons” file has to be open whenever one of the other ~30 files is accessed. Since these are files being used over a network, it isn’t feasible to make sure the “billing reaso...

Link to external workbook
I want to change a formula linking to a cell in a workbook on another server so that the server name is used rather than the drive mapping. I have tried the following but I keep getting 'File Not Found': '\\Server Name:\Drive Name\...... (instead of 'G:\..... Please advise. -- R Ormerod \\Server Name:\Drive Name\ Doesn't look like a valid format... I think I'd use windows start button|run type in \\servername and point and click down the paths to find the correct workbook. If you turn "View|toolbars|address bar", then you may be able to see the path...

Maintaining Links
All, I have a db that is linked to a table of another db. They are kept in one folder. Whenver I move the folder to another comp or change the location I need to re-link. How do I maintain the link so that I don't have to relink every time I move the folder? Thanks in advance. What you are asking is "How can I be in 2 places at the same time?" Do I really need to answer that? On the other hand, you can have the front-end app automatically ask for the new location. Have a look at the following: http://www.mvps.org/access/tables/tbl0009.htm -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://...

Does the Access Link add-in work in Excel 2007
I'm looking to use Access to create some data entry forms for Excel. Does the Access Link add-in provided with 2002 work with 2007? Thanks ...

Linking Chart items to files
Anyone got a clue on how to link each stacked bar(or similar) to a different file, so when someone views the file, he can click on the bar, to get a relevant document on his web-browser/similar(pdf, whatever). Any suggestions? You can write event procedures that determine which point was clicked. Within the procedure you need some kind of lookup to see what document should be launched according to the point which was clicked. Here's an article on chart events: http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=221 - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical...

Maintaining Format
We have a 400 page tech manual with tons of formatting: figures, tables with auto numbering, chapters and paragraph numbering. There are 4 folks on the team re-writing the document and when we combine the doc, all the formatting gets jumbled. Is there a way to create a formatting template perhaps and pass that to all the writers? You should set up a template with the appropriate paragraph styles and have all editors use the template. More to the point, if all editors make use of the same (set of) styles and apply them consistently, the formatting will straighten itself out as t...

Linking Form to Table
Hi everybody, I would like to know how to get a new textbox I created in a form to to allow the user to type data into the form and have it saved into a table for record keeping. The form and table already are created and have been used previously in conjunction with eachother, but I do not know how to create a new field and have it function like I described above. Feel free to email me and I will be happy to provide more specifics to the question if they are needed. Thanks for your help! >>Dan On Oct 25, 3:19 pm, djd011 <djd...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > H...

Slow link opening
Outlook 2002 / Office XP SP2 and all available on-line patches applied Recently, it has become painfully slow to open website links by clicking on them in messages in Outlook. It behaves like this: 1. I click a link in a mail message 2. Oulook waits for 40 seconds (mouse pointer is a pointing hand for 10 seconds, then as an hourglass) 3. Internet Explorer starts 4 After 40 more seconds, the web page shows up Links from within Word documents or in the "Favorites" folder open just fine, without delay. Also links in Outlook Express, messages work all right. Seems as if it's only ...

Re: Windows 7 - Odbc link
"zafer özbek" <awds@microsoft.com>, iletide şunu yazdı news:... > ı am zafer > no english > "Anne" <Anne@discussions.microsoft.com>, iletide şunu yazdı > news:DB6C48AA-DE22-446E-B8E7-82DC5143CA38@microsoft.com... >> Hi >> >> Thanks for responding. I corrected after an update :) >> >> >> "Paul Shapiro" wrote: >> >>> Not sure, but it might work if you right-click the Access shortcut and >>> choose Run as Administrator when you start Access. You might be bette...

Maintain 1 List... Twice
Good afternoon all, Just wondering if this is possible. I started maintaining a list of what files we kept archived at a storage facility, based on a list that was on paper. I finally got all the boxes typed in, resulting in a list which has all the files in each box, grouped by what box they are in. However, for the sake of searching these files, it's best if I have them alphabetically as well. My solution was to make a copy of the "List" called "Alpha". Alpha contains the list, sorted by surname. Every time I catalogue a new box, I copy it into "Alpha" an...

Simple linking cells issue
please help. I'm linking cells in a worksheet and it works fine for me However, after I send the file to a fellow employee, it doesn't wor for him. He double clicks on the link and it just displays the cel the link should go to. For example if I'm linking to cell A2, when my coworker clicks on th the linke it comes up =$A$2 instead of going to A2 -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Tell them to try turning off "edit directly in cell" It can be found in: Tools|options|edit tab "lasvegas <" wrote: > > please help. I'm linking...

Linking to Master Spreadsheet
Hi Guys, I have a spreadsheet with multiple tabs that are identical, whic contain info that i would like to be automatically updated when th master spreadsheet is updated. i.e. If cell C10 in the maste spreadsheet is changed, I would like all of the other cells in C10 o the other tabs to change as well. I realize that it is possible to g through and link the individual tabs to the master tab, but this seem very tedious. ie. say in sheet 1 in cell C10 I have ='Master!C10. I there a way to get this formula in without having to manually g through to link each tab? Thanks, Be -- Message ...

Maintaining cricket stats
Hello, I'm a relative nOOb to Excel. I'm going to be maintaining stats for a cricket league. Its goingto be: Column A: Name, B: Games played, C: Runs(points)scored, D: Highest score etc... Now, my problem is, since there are 168 players, and they'll be playing around 16 games each whole season, I need to add up their stats end-of-season as easily as possible. I could use simple SUM(C1+C2+C3+...Cn) for the total runs and all, but doing it individually for each player would take long, plus each player wont be playing the same number of games , so i'd have to alter the fo...

Link or Copy Excel Data to Calendar (for scheduling) for Visual Aid
Hola, I am working on a project that entails scheduling preventiv maintenance, such as oil changes and inspections, on trucks. I have a excel spreadsheet data which contains the dates as to when and what typ of preventive maintenance should be scheduled. Now I need to impor that data to calendar (maybe outlook) and then be able to print it fo employees. Please let me know if this is possible in excel or maybe possible i access. Thank you so much. Hen -- supafreez ----------------------------------------------------------------------- supafreeza's Profile: http://www.excelforum.co...

Rows columns transpose & link
I want to copy a column of data in one sheet to a row of data in another sheet and maintain the link. Excel allows either but not both in the paste special dropodown menu Can anyone help. Thanks Bruce See one guess at your other post. Bruce wrote: > > I want to copy a column of data in one sheet to a row of > data in another sheet and maintain the link. Excel allows > either but not both in the paste special dropodown menu > Can anyone help. > Thanks Bruce -- Dave Peterson ec35720@msn.com Or even his other identical post 2 days ago which also got an answer. Methink...

Linking workbooks #5
I have come to this excel group on many occasions, and have had most of my questions answered by searching through the posts. So I thank all who contribute. This problem, though, eludes me and I can't seem to find it in the groups. I use Excel 2003. My problem is this... I have two Workbooks - "Revenue Worksheet" and "2009 Revenue". From Revenue Worksheet I want to link cells B162:S162 (which is a total of a certain amount of columns) to a cell range in 2009 Revenue. Which I can do. The problem is that in Revenue Worksheet rows maybe added (1, 2, 3 rows etc at va...

no program link working
Hi, I recently had a virus/malware problem (av.exe) that I managed to cure reasonably easily with CCleaner and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Now hardly any of my program shortcut links work and neither do any of the control panel links. (c:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe Application not found) The programs work when they are linked to the actual program exe but non of the shortcuts. Is there anyway of getting these links working again and also how do I allow the shortcuts in Control Panel to work again? -------- Original-Nachricht -------- > Hi, > I recently had ...

Linking chart data labels to cells whose contents change
Excel 97 under Windows XP Home If I type a cell reference into a data label of a chart series, the label will show the contents of that cell. If I edit or copy to the cell, the label changes. But if I make the cell a formula, then the label does not change after recalculation when the formula results in a new value. Doesn't that seem like strange behaviour? If I edit the label, the value updates, and if I edit or copy over the cell formula, it updates. But if the unchanged cell formula results in a changed value, the label keeps the old value unchanged. -- Del Cotter NB Persona...

ACCPAC actg link with RMS?
does anyone know of an accounting link for ACCPAC and RMS? thanks ...

Maintain Formatting
When I paste my resume or upload it to Monster.com the formatting is always messed up. How do I prevent or fix this. Because it doesn't want a formatted document. What I do is to keep a plain text version. I tweaked it to look nice and pasted that into the career sites. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "Lindaw1984" <Lindaw1984@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F7A1488C-63AC-4644-85C2-F029AA7F9AA5@microsoft.com... > When I paste my resume or upload it to Mons...