Looking for control to browse files

Hi,

I am pretty new to and unexperienced with access (2007 is the one I
amworking with)
I have made a database (of 1 table) to record registered mail and such.

I have added a hyperlink field which contains the link to a specific
transmittal document showing the contents of the mail item.
I have added it to the form and it works fine. If I click on the link it
opens the (Word) transmittal file). So far so good.

What I want is a control that lets me browse for the transmittal file,
something like a simple Open dialog

Can someone point me to the right documentation, please

TIA

Peter-Paul Jansen
Rijswijk, The Netherlands

0
Peter
1/28/2010 12:15:05 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0001.htm

You can also change it to allow for multiple files to be selected using ctrl
click.

Mark Andrews
RPT Software
http://www.rptsoftware.com

"Peter-Paul Jansen" <ppj@eee.nl> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am pretty new to and unexperienced with access (2007 is the one I
> amworking with)
> I have made a database (of 1 table) to record registered mail and such.
>
> I have added a hyperlink field which contains the link to a specific
> transmittal document showing the contents of the mail item.
> I have added it to the form and it works fine. If I click on the link it
> opens the (Word) transmittal file). So far so good.
>
> What I want is a control that lets me browse for the transmittal file,
> something like a simple Open dialog
>
> Can someone point me to the right documentation, please
>
> TIA
>
> Peter-Paul Jansen
> Rijswijk, The Netherlands

0
Mark
1/28/2010 12:55:23 PM
I have a command button with the following code in the "On Click" event:

Private Sub BrowseForLocation_Click()
On Error GoTo Err_BrowseForLocation_Click

    Me!ResponseLocation.SetFocus
    DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdInsertHyperlink

Exit_BrowseForLocation_Click:
    Exit Sub

Err_BrowseForLocation_Click:
    MsgBox Err.Description
    Resume Exit_BrowseForLocation_Click

End Sub

BrowseForLocation is the button name, and ResponseLocation the name of the
hyperlink field.
Jill

"Peter-Paul Jansen" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am pretty new to and unexperienced with access (2007 is the one I
> amworking with)
> I have made a database (of 1 table) to record registered mail and such.
>
> I have added a hyperlink field which contains the link to a specific
> transmittal document showing the contents of the mail item.
> I have added it to the form and it works fine. If I click on the link it
> opens the (Word) transmittal file). So far so good.
>
> What I want is a control that lets me browse for the transmittal file,
> something like a simple Open dialog
>
> Can someone point me to the right documentation, please
>
> TIA
>
> Peter-Paul Jansen
> Rijswijk, The Netherlands
>

> .

Peter-Paul:

I've always used Bill Wilson's class module.  It freely available from:

http://community.netscape.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?tsn=1&nav=libraryMessages&webtag=ws-msdevapps&tid=22415

Its very easy to use; you just copy the module into your database and then
call it with code, e.g. in the Click event procedure of a 'Browse' button,
along these lines:

    Dim OpenDlg As New BrowseForFileClass
    Dim strPath As String

    OpenDlg.DialogTitle = "Select File"
    OpenDlg.DefaultType = "*.doc"
    strPath = OpenDlg.GetFileSpec
    Set OpenDlg = Nothing

    If Len(strPath) > 0 Then
        Me.txtPath = strPath
    End If

In this example its set up to browse for .doc files by default, by setting
the class's DefaultType property.  The selected path is inserted into the
text box txtPath on the form.  The class does include a list of the usual
main file types by default which is available as a drop down list in the
dialogue.  Additional types can be added by setting the class's
AdditionalTypes property in the code.

Ken Sheridan
Stafford, England

Peter-Paul Jansen wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I am pretty new to and unexperienced with access (2007 is the one I
>amworking with)
>I have made a database (of 1 table) to record registered mail and such.
>
>I have added a hyperlink field which contains the link to a specific
>transmittal document showing the contents of the mail item.
>I have added it to the form and it works fine. If I click on the link it
>opens the (Word) transmittal file). So far so good.
>
>What I want is a control that lets me browse for the transmittal file,
>something like a simple Open dialog
>
>Can someone point me to the right documentation, please
>
>TIA
>
>Peter-Paul Jansen
>Rijswijk, The Netherlands

KenSheridan
1/28/2010 1:42:07 PM
I have 3 different answers. No doubt one of them will work.

Thank you very much for the quick responses,
Mark, Mrs Ugh and Ken

Peter-Paul

"Peter-Paul Jansen" <ppj@eee.nl> schreef in bericht
> Hi,
>
> I am pretty new to and unexperienced with access (2007 is the one I
> amworking with)
> I have made a database (of 1 table) to record registered mail and such.
>
> I have added a hyperlink field which contains the link to a specific
> transmittal document showing the contents of the mail item.
> I have added it to the form and it works fine. If I click on the link it
> opens the (Word) transmittal file). So far so good.
>
> What I want is a control that lets me browse for the transmittal file,
> something like a simple Open dialog
>
> Can someone point me to the right documentation, please
>
> TIA
>
> Peter-Paul Jansen
> Rijswijk, The Netherlands

0
Peter

Moving OLE Based Control
I have a control that is bound to an OLE object in a table. When i try to reposition the control with the command Me.ObjectName.Left = 4000, it does not compile. The error message "Invalid Qualifier" appears. In addition, when I normally enter the period after the name of the object such as Me.ObjectName. a list of optional commands comes up. For this control, it does not. Could anyone help with with the problem of not being able to access the properties of this control. I use Access 2000. Thanks -- Frank Wagner fwagner111@aol.com What's the control? Are you sur...

Using CHtmlView in my ActiveX control
I have a class CHtmlViewEx inherited from CHtmlView, the document of this class can be edited. I create a activex using MFC in vc.net 2003, in this activex control I create a CHtmlViewEx object and show it. The problem is: When I press "Enter", CHtmlViewEx will insert a <P> at the end of the "body" tag. I press "Backspace" to clear it, when there is no text in the control, CHtmlViewEx will insert <P></P>. I hope that CHtmlViewEx will insert a <BR> when I press "Enter" and won't insert "<P></P> when I press &...

Activex Windows Media Player control issue
I have a form with an Activex WMP control, and I wish to have the control play a .wma file when a command button is clicked. I want the .wma to be determined based on the currently displayed record (i.e. the record refers to a song, and I want that song to play). If I hard-code the path to the .wma into the Player.URL field, it works fine, but if I try to use a variable (constructed from fields and constants), it does not. I get an error "The file you are attempting to play has an extension (.wma") that does not match the file format. Playing the file may result in unexp...

All my icons look the same (except IE8 and the recycle bin)
i cant open any windows...when i click on them the open with window pops up and wants me to pick wat i want to open it with...i can only get on the internet in safe mode with networking. and when i try to open...for example paint it says invalid bitmap, or its format is not currently supported and other windows wont even open. got any ideas on how i can fix this?? On Sun, 30 May 2010 06:54:01 -0700, xxkoreanxx wrote in message <news:999F2CE9-8E21-47DC-8BA4-BAC1F1329F6E@microsoft.com>: > i cant open any windows...when i click on them the open with window pops up > a...

retrieve data into a spreadsheet from a copy of that spreadsheet which is saved as its own xls file
Hi, second try to explain what I'm trying to do here. For the last couple of years we are entering our Production Specifications into an Excel spreadsheet (PRODUCTION TICKET.xls). The last step we take after everything is filled in, is copying the sheet and saving it (values only) under the quality number (e.g.: 4788.xls). For certain reasons, we need now to get the data back into the original spreadsheet (it could be on a separate sheet, but it must be in the original file: PRODUCTION TICKET.xls). On sheet PRODUCTION TICKET.xls/Prod.ticket, a consecutive code number is ...

Count the Number of Files in a Folder
I’m sorry if this is a repost, I posted the same question yesterday but it never appeared on the site. Could someone please show me an example or examples of how to return the number of files in a folder? I don’t need anything except the total number of files in the folder. I’d like to use VB but, I’m open to any solution… Thanks in advance, Jim Hi, something like this: strFile = dir("c:\*.*") do while len(strFile)>0 I=I+1 strFile=dir loop debug.print I -- Best regards, ___________ Alex Dybenko (MVP) http://accessblog.net http://w...

Mysterious File Corruption
Some time ago, while still on Excel 97, I encountered the following problem. I had a workbook that grew by a tab (sheet) every month. (The previous month's tab would be copied, renamed, and some formulas linked back to the previous tab.) At approximately the 50th sheet it quit - the Move or Copy command was still available, but produced no results. Examination revealed no abnormalities except sheet names - in Microsoft Visual Basic, sheet numbers looked very weird. They went Sheet1, Sheet2, Sheet3, but after Sheet4 came Sheet 41, then Sheet411, Sheet 4111, etc. The last one (where the co...

Control source on continuous form
I have a continuous form with 55 fields being displayed in columns. This is from a table with 220 fields. I need to change the control source from actual values to percentage values. So instead of the controlsource being week1 I want to change it to percent1 and week2 to percent2, (there is no way of calculating one from the other so there is no redundant data) etc. I run a function For i = 1 To 53 myform("week" & CStr(i)).ControlSource = "percent" & CStr(i) Next i This seems to work fine if the continuous form has about 50 rows or less but when there are more...

Calling a checkbox control with VB
Hi Is there a way I can reference a checkbox item that I can manipulate in VBA. For instance... I have a series of check boxes that I would like to change the properties of with a loop So my checkboxes are called: CheckBox1 CheckBox2 CheckBox3 etc and I want to be able to reference them like so: For i = 1 to 20 "CheckBox" & i.Value = true next i Any ideas? By the format of the name, I assume that they are control toolbox checkboxes. Dim oOLE As Object For Each oOLE In ActiveSheet.OLEObjects If TypeName(oOLE.Object) = "CheckBox" Then ...

Looking for feedback
Hey everyone just started my own business doing consulting / training for Microsoft Outlook please check out my site www.outlookchallenged.com and provide any suggestions / feedback please. Any advice is good advice at this point. Thanks -- www.outlookchallenged.com Br Sense <outlookhelp@ftard.com> wrote: > Hey everyone just started my own business doing consulting / training > for Microsoft Outlook please check out my site > www.outlookchallenged.com and provide any suggestions / feedback > please. Any advice is good advice at this point. The best advice I have to offer ...

Looking for CRM Solution
Does anyone use, or has anyone encountered, a CRM based solution used for residentail, multifamily property management? On Apr 28, 12:55=A0pm, MrB <M...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Does anyone use, or has anyone encountered, a CRM based solution used for > residentail, multifamily property management? The beauty of Microsoft CRM is that it can be customized for any business in any industry. It's ability to be customized using front- end tools (not within code) is , as far as I know, unparalleled by any other software package. You have the ability to create new entiti...

"All files"
I currently hyperlink PDF files to records within a database. When actioning a hyperlink, a "Link to file" box appears, the bottom "Files of Type" dialog shows "Office Files". I have to change this everytime to "All Files" so that files can be associated with the PDF. Is there a solution for the PDF files to become the default? Use the API found at http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0001.htm to call your file dialog. As you will see you can control your strFilter to control which file types to display/filter. -- Hope this helps, Daniel Pin...

Can't open files received in Microsoft Outlook e-mail
When I get an attached Excel file and double click on the icon, I get the option box to either open or save. If I try to open the file, Excel opens up but the file will not. The message I get is that the system "can't find the file". If I save it to the hard drive, I can then go open it. HELP! I would much rather open the file to see whether it is worth saving. Thanks if you can help me on this. Marshall In Excel, go to Tools Options General and uncheck Ignore other applications "Marshall" <mlounsb@clemson.edu> wrote in message news:990101c4972e$c...

How to delete of archive log files! Emergency!
My Windows 2003 Exchange server went down this morning. The reason was HD space. When looking at the HD I found a total of 39 GB used by Exxxx.log files in the First Storage Group. There are log files as old as 9/28/2004. There are a total of 8153 log file and each one takes 5 MB. My question is how can I delete some, a range or all of these files? If you are able to help please advise and reply to this e-mail. Thank you in advance for your help! On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 10:21:05 -0700, DMI <DMI@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >My Windows 2003 Exchange server went down this ...

=COUNTA() with multiple look-up
Hi All, I would like to count the number of items that have a value "AAA" in column A and an amount >0 in column B. As I am not quite sure how to incorporate two look-ups in a counta formula I was wondering if anyone can give me the formula? Many thanks! Rgds, Robert Try something like this: =SUMPRODUCT((A1:A100="AAA")*(B1:B100>0)) or....if there may be some text cells in B1:B100 interspersed with the numbers =SUMPRODUCT((A1:A100="AAA")*ISNUMBER(B1:B100)*(B1:B100>0)) Is that something you can work with? *********** Regards, Ron XL2002, WinXP &...

QuickBooks Files
Is there a way to import QuickBooks Files into Money? In microsoft.public.money, Brad Eck wrote: >Is there a way to import QuickBooks Files into Money? No. NO "Brad Eck" <brad.eck@sitesdynamic.com> wrote in message news:ea9c01c3f0a5$1dbc36d0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Is there a way to import QuickBooks Files into Money? How painful is that! So how do they expect to bring customers into this thing? >-----Original Message----- >NO > >"Brad Eck" <brad.eck@sitesdynamic.com> wrote in message >news:ea9c01c3f0a5$1dbc36d0$a501280a@phx.gbl... ...

can I edit a picture to look faded?
I want to edit my picture to be faded so I can use it as background with text over it. "deborahm" <deborahm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4D93DD63-8553-447D-A0AC-44EE0E1BD9B3@microsoft.com... > I want to edit my picture to be faded so I can use it as background with > text > over it. In Publisher you can do it one of two ways. For both ways start by inserting the picture. Method 1, right click on picture and select Format Picture, click on picture tab, then click on the dropdown for Color under Image Control and select wash...

data look up and return values across a row
I have a list in one spreadsheet, we'll call it 'spreadsheet A' that I need to cross reference with another larger spreadsheet, which we'll call 'spreadsheet B'. I'd like to remove everything from B that isn't on A. Is there an easy way of doing that? Chip Pearson has lots of info about working with duplicates at: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm Betsey wrote: > > I have a list in one spreadsheet, we'll call it 'spreadsheet A' that I need > to cross reference with another larger spreadsheet, which we'll call > &#...

Subclassing dynamically created controls
I have a created an edit box dynamically using the Create function in a class derived from CTreeView ( Explorer Style - CLeftView ). Now I want to change the color of the edit box . I guess I need to subclass this window using SubClassWindow( ) . I have derived a class from CEdit and using the derived class to create the control . Can anyone please help me how to Subclass the edit control so I can change its background colour . Thanks in advance . Sujay -- Sujay Ghosh Bangalore, INDIA Sujay Ghosh wrote: > I have a created an edit box dynamically using the Create function in a ...

Opening xlsx files in Excel 2000
I'm getting an error opening an xlsx file in Excel 2000. I have tried installing the 2007 Compatibility pack. I uninstalled and reinstalled Excel 2000 and the Compatibility pack. Ironically I've gotten it to work on another of my computers (same version of Excel) but can't seem to get it to work on my desktop. Should be a simple fix since this is an "old" problem but I can't seem to figure it out. Any help would be appreciated. You neglected to include the error message, exact phrasing is usually important too. MikeP wrote: > I'm gett...

Looking for basic multiplaction formula
HI ALL, I'm trying to multiply cells d5-d9 by cells a5-a9 and put the answer in cells d14 - d18 ( using caps ) I have tried =(D5*A5) in d14 and then pulling it down to d18 PLEASE HELP ME IVE BEEN AT THIS FOR AN HOUR AND A HALF!! Sounds to me like you had it right... what's not working? In cell D14 enter "=D5*A5" Copy that and paste it in cells D15 to D18. Ken Puls, CMA - Microsoft MVP (Excel) www.excelguru.ca Concarp wrote: > HI ALL, > I'm trying to multiply cells d5-d9 by cells a5-a9 and > put the answer in cells d14 - d18 ( using caps ) > ...

look up who is connected
hello i would like to check if any pc connects to my xp box which it shares a lot of dirs. can powershell do the job and how? not sure in PS but "netstat" could do this for you. regards Ramazan "ryan" <ryanlihk@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eKobVuVrKHA.4220@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > hello > > i would like to check if any pc connects to my xp box which it shares a > lot of dirs. > > can powershell do the job and how? thanks On 2/15/2010 2:21 AM, RCan wrote: > not sure in PS but "netstat" could do this...

Unusually large file
Hello, I have a workbook that is over 500kb but only contains about 17kb of text data. When I cut and paste out the text data the file size remains about the same. When I delete the sheet after cutting out the text data I receive the warning that there may be data on the sheet although none is visible. After deleting the sheet the file size is reduced by the ~500kb. Can data be hidden from view? There are no hidden rows or columns. Am I missing something. Any suggestions are appreciated. Hi see: http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#Unused -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt...

From Access Query to Excel and Open the File
Originally I posted this in the Access Forum and was told doing it this way will not work. Does anyone on this side know how to do this?? See Original Post below: Thanks, Hans I have imported the query into Excel and able to save it, but I have people that complained about having to find the file somewhere.... How would I run this query and NOT save to My Documents, but create a new Excel file and just open it, leaving the save option to the user? Also, can you do Excel cell formatting inside the VBA/Access code? DoCmd.OpenQuery "ISS Open Position Query", acViewNormal, acEdit ...

Excel file size limitation
I've got someone trying to work with a 400MB Excel spreadsheet using Office 2007. Excel keeps crashing when trying to modify and then save the file. Outlook goes into Not Responding mode. The file itself doesn't contain all that much data, however, it does contain many high-res images cropped to fit into a cell. The pictures have been compressed, however the file size doesn't change all that much. I was under the impression that the PC itself perhaps didn't have enough RAM memory. Tried working with the file from a PC having 4GB or RAM - same result. I...