Linking To Tables on SQL Server

I am using ODBC to link to tables on an SQL server.  I am not able to link to
all tables - I receive an "invalid argument" error message.  The tables I am
able to link to show "#deleted" in each field.  I tried using "Alt F9 to
refresh the data, but this did not work.  The only way I can see the data is
to import the tables.  However, one table alone has over 2 million records!!
Is there another application other than Access I should be using to access
this data?
--
All help greatly appreciated.
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Deb wrote:
> I am using ODBC to link to tables on an SQL server.  I am not able to
> link to all tables - I receive an "invalid argument" error message.
> The tables I am able to link to show "#deleted" in each field.  I
> tried using "Alt F9 to refresh the data, but this did not work.  The
> only way I can see the data is to import the tables.  However, one
> table alone has over 2 million records!! Is there another application
> other than Access I should be using to access this data?

The #Deleted usually means that the primary keys on the server consist of
DataTypes that Access doesn't  have native equivelants for.  BigInt for
example will do this.  Sometimes adding a Timestamp field to the server
table will solve that.  (sometimes not).

The invalid argument could be caused by field names that are legal in SQL
Server, but which are not legal in Access.  Those containing a DOT for
example.

Try creating passthrough queries for those tables instead of linked tables.
Those will be read only, but they usually tolerate such things better than
links do.

--
Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP
Email (as appropriate) to...

0
Rick
5/9/2007 8:05:51 PM
CORRECTION!

Use Access Data Projects and you won't have to put up with this crap

MDB is dead and it has been for a decade

\On May 9, 1:05 pm, "Rick Brandt" <rickbran...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Deb wrote:
> > I am using ODBC to link to tables on an SQL server.  I am not able to
> > link to all tables - I receive an "invalid argument" error message.
> > The tables I am able to link to show "#deleted" in each field.  I
> > tried using "Alt F9 to refresh the data, but this did not work.  The
> > only way I can see the data is to import the tables.  However, one
> > table alone has over 2 million records!! Is there another application
> > other than Access I should be using to access this data?
>
> The #Deleted usually means that the primary keys on the server consist of
> DataTypes that Access doesn't  have native equivelants for.  BigInt for
> example will do this.  Sometimes adding a Timestamp field to the server
> table will solve that.  (sometimes not).
>
> The invalid argument could be caused by field names that are legal in SQL
> Server, but which are not legal in Access.  Those containing a DOT for
> example.
>
> Try creating passthrough queries for those tables instead of linked tables.
> Those will be read only, but they usually tolerate such things better than
> links do.
>
> --
> Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP
> Email (as appropriate) to...
> RBrandt   at   Hunter   dot   com

0
IRS
5/9/2007 9:22:21 PM
And Rick-- if you're going to be helpful; be frank

DO NOT USE WIERD CHARACTERS IN FIELD NAMES OR TABLE NAMES, KID

On May 9, 1:05 pm, "Rick Brandt" <rickbran...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Deb wrote:
> > I am using ODBC to link to tables on an SQL server.  I am not able to
> > link to all tables - I receive an "invalid argument" error message.
> > The tables I am able to link to show "#deleted" in each field.  I
> > tried using "Alt F9 to refresh the data, but this did not work.  The
> > only way I can see the data is to import the tables.  However, one
> > table alone has over 2 million records!! Is there another application
> > other than Access I should be using to access this data?
>
> The #Deleted usually means that the primary keys on the server consist of
> DataTypes that Access doesn't  have native equivelants for.  BigInt for
> example will do this.  Sometimes adding a Timestamp field to the server
> table will solve that.  (sometimes not).
>
> The invalid argument could be caused by field names that are legal in SQL
> Server, but which are not legal in Access.  Those containing a DOT for
> example.
>
> Try creating passthrough queries for those tables instead of linked tables.
> Those will be read only, but they usually tolerate such things better than
> links do.
>
> --
> Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP
> Email (as appropriate) to...
> RBrandt   at   Hunter   dot   com

0
IRS

OMA internal server error 500
Hello - I've just tried to get OMA setup and I've encountered th following error http: error 500 (internal server error Runtime erro <!-- Web.Config Configuration File -- <configuration <system.web <customErrors mode="Off"/ </system.web </configuration to display error messag Having changed the web.config file the error still persists This occurs when I logon with domain\username: passwor What is the problem? There are a few posts relating to this but n responses - if anyone responds to this I'll be most greatful ...

Change link between form and subform

How do I setup a recovery server and do the recovery?
How do I setup he recovery server? I have a spare 2003 server box, do I just put exchange server on to that and restore the database file into the mdsdata directory and then run integrity tools? Does it have to be the same organization or can it be a stand alone server. Thanks. Are you trying to rebuild a server to get it back online? Or are you trying to restore a database to get some data out of it. If you are trying to restore a database, try restoring to a recovery storage group. If you are just doing test restorations or testing D/R procedures, you do NOT want to put the...

Transforming Table into Matrix
Hi there, I hope you can help me. _*DATA_I_HAVE:*_ *Table * of *3 columns*: -column 1-: up to 60.000 terms -column 2:- up to 60.000 terms (mostly the same as in column 1; jus different order (column 1 and 2 are representing a connotation) -column 3-: weighting of connotation _*AIM:*_ In order to conduct a better evaluation of the data (connotations) need to *transform * the *Table-Sheet * into a *Matrix*, - having 2 coordinates: 1 coordinate representing column 1, on representing column 2 and - filled data (crossing of the terms) representing the weighting of th connotation(s) _*QUESTIO...

Linked Forms

linking #4

Leaving messages on server
Where do I select the option to leave messages on server so I can view them on another computer? In the advanced properties of your POP mail account settings. Without knowing your version of Outlook, hard to tell you more. Troy wrote: > Where do I select the option to leave messages on server > so I can view them on another computer? ...

Links not linking

Linked Table Manager in ACCESS

Email Server is offline error msg
Hello, I upgraded a user's Office XP that didn't have any SPs to SP2. Now when she double-clicks the Outlook icon, the "Email Server is offline" error message is displayed. When she clicks on retry, her Outlook launches okay and her inbox appears. And her email appears to work okay. Does anyone know how to fix the error message? Thanks, Millie Sounds like a name resolution problem to me. Can you ping the Exchange server, by name, from the affected workstation? -- Aloha, -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, OneNote-MVP http://home.hawaii.rr.com/schorr **I apologize but I am unab...

Link To A Cell From Chart

links

Linked Tables Over A LAN

2 Axis Pivot Table Based Chart Problem
Hi, I have a Pivot Table with 6 data types. 1 has a wide scale, say 1 - 100,000. The other 5 data types have a scale that is narrow, say 1 - 20. After I create the Pivot Chart from the Pivot Table and choose a "Line - Column on 2 Axes" type chart, Excel assigns the first 3 data types to the scale on the left (which happens to be the small scale) and the other 3 data types to the large scale, even though 2 of those last 3 are small scale data types. So, the result is 2 data series displaying as if they are zero, because their values are things like 3, 7, 11, 0.5, yet Excel has fo...

Running SQL statements in VBA
I am constantly getting an error when I run the following sql statement in docmd runsql: dim sqlcheck as string Dim db As DAO.Database Dim rs As DAO.Recordset db = currentdb sqlcheck = "SELECT Processing.Retort_id, Processing.labor_code, Processing.process_name, Processing.employee_name " & _ "FROM Processing WHERE (((Processing.Retort_id)=" & Me.retortid.Value & ") AND ((Processing.labor_code)=" & Me!select_labor & ") AND ((Processing.process_name)=" & Me!select_process & ") " & _ "AND...

Links

SQL Trigger (E-mail) and Security
I have created a SQL trigger on the UPR00100 table. It is on an update. It compares the old employee class to employee class in the inserted record. If they are different, it launches an e-mail using sp_send_dbmail. The e-mail has been configured. If I am logged into GP as 'sa', it works just fine and an e-mail is sent. If I am logged as something other than 'sa', I receive an error. If I go into SQL Server and give the 'other' user sysadmin rights, the trigger works. However, I don't really want to do that. Has anyone else experienced anything like th...

Modify pivot table report
I am sent an xls that includes a worksheet that is a pivot table. There are a couple combo boxes in the first row (e.g., Date, Year) that if I were able to connect to the external data source would allow requerying of the pivot table. I don't need to do that. I just need that data as it is but I would like to delete the combo boxes from the worksheet. I am prevented from doing that (msg: you cannot change or modify a pivot table report). I can cut the data and paste it into another spreadsheet, however. I'd rather be able to modify the original worksheet (delete the first row with ...

Data Tables
Question for you, please: In the past, if I wanted to use an EXCEL data table, I was sure that the "row input" and "column input" cells needed to have values in them. It needed to be, for example, 3, not even =3, since the latter is a formula. That made sense to me because you are asking EXCEL to give you some other cell's result with different values for this "input" cell. Recently, I replaced such an input with a formula and, to my surprise, the data table results did not change and it seems to work anyway, which kind of blows me away. You would think t...

Pivot table and running total #2
I have a table with Columns: Region, Client, Date, and quantity. Using a pivot table I want to see per Region the quantity each Clients bought or sold. The problem I have is I can't figure out how to view a running total per region. You can view at this URL "http://members.freemail.ch/paulg/pivottable.gif" a picture of how I would want to see it (in yellow) and the table it comes from. Actual data has at least 20 different regions and 60 or so clients. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks ...

email links in Publisher pdf

Chart template and links

text box datasource refer to a field in a table
Hi, I am building a report that gives a summary on all purchase order in a period of time. For the report, I have the query set up no problem, but on the report Head, I would like to make it dynamic so that it can display a company name field from another table (not included in the report's datasource). Using the expression builder I got the following: =[company name]!CompanyName [company name] is the name of the table and CompanyName is the name of the field in the table. When I try to run the report, it promps me for a variable, somehow it doesn't recognize that [company name] is a...

how do i show text in the data field of a pivot table?
If you put a text field into the data area of a pivot table, it will summarize the field to show a count, instead of showing the text. You can place the text fields in the Row, Column or Page areas, where their text will show. pum75 wrote: -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

Tables to PDF
Hi there, I'm working with a table in Publisher at the moment & have formatted all my column / row gridlines to 0.25pt. However, when I convert to Adobe PDF, some of the lines appear much thicker than the others. Any Suggestions? Ian Have you tried printing the .pdf file? I've seen lines that look thicker but print just fine. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "ianp" <ianp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:402A32B6-8157-4D23-907A-9C437BD4FE35@microsoft.com... > Hi there, > > I'm working with a table in Publisher at...