Linking Access 2007 to Microsoft Project 2007

I have an application that tracks various projects with milestones and other
dates.  My client is interested in visually depicting some of this
information, and would like to try using Microsoft Project.

They have created a small Project file with data they extracted and manually
entered into project.  What we now want to do is figure out how to either
link Project to Access to use the Access tables directly, or to use Access to
identify "differences" between their data and what exists in the application.

Does anyone have any experience in this area?

What is the format of a "Project" file.

Anything I should know before I go blindly stumbling into this?

----
Dale

access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

A few years back, I created an Access Application that took data from an
Access Dataabase and made entries/updates to a Microsoft Project.  I started
by learning the Project Object Model.  Here is a link to it.

"Dale Fye" <dale.fye@nospam.com> wrote in message

> I have an application that tracks various projects with milestones and
> other
> dates.  My client is interested in visually depicting some of this
> information, and would like to try using Microsoft Project.
>
> They have created a small Project file with data they extracted and
> manually
> entered into project.  What we now want to do is figure out how to either
> link Project to Access to use the Access tables directly, or to use Access
> identify "differences" between their data and what exists in the
> application.
>
> Does anyone have any experience in this area?
>
> What is the format of a "Project" file.
>
> Anything I should know before I go blindly stumbling into this?
>
> ----
> Dale

0
JohnR
1/20/2010 3:45:55 PM
Hello Dale,

Project 2007 cannot directly read Access 2007 (.accdb files), only
Access 2003 (.mdb files).  If you search this newsgroup for "Access
2007" you'll see several recent posts on some of the challenges on
importing data.

As far as trying to maintain two sets of the same data -- I'm not sure
it's worth it.  Project is a very good scheduling engine -- not natively
what comes with Access without some development.  That being said,
Project (like Access) has a fairly steep learning curve and if your
client wants to use it well, an investment into learning the product up
front, will pay off significantly in both the accuracy of the data being
generated as well as holding down on missteps and frustration.

We're certainly happy to help you (and your client) along in the
learning path as much as we can, but finding a reliable consultant and
trainer for Project would be a good first step.  Through this newsgroup,
you'll find a number of folks who are trainers/consultants in Project
who would be happy to have an "off-line" conversation, I'm sure.

I hope this helps.  Let us know how you get along.

Julie
Project MVP

Visit http://project.mvps.org/ for the FAQs and additional
information about Microsoft Project

On 1/20/2010 10:08 AM, Dale Fye wrote:

> I have an application that tracks various projects with milestones and other
> dates.  My client is interested in visually depicting some of this
> information, and would like to try using Microsoft Project.
>
> They have created a small Project file with data they extracted and manually
> entered into project.  What we now want to do is figure out how to either
> link Project to Access to use the Access tables directly, or to use Access to
> identify "differences" between their data and what exists in the application.
>
> Does anyone have any experience in this area?
>
> What is the format of a "Project" file.
>
> Anything I should know before I go blindly stumbling into this?
>
> ----
> Dale

0
JulieS
1/20/2010 4:07:30 PM
Unless your Access database is structured exactly as Project needs it then
the only way to read data from any database in Project 2007 onwards is using
VBA code, either in Access to push data to Project or in Project to pull
data from Access. Project 2003 and earlier does have an ODBC link and you
can create a map to map fields in Access to fields in Project. This does not
link data, but does import to Project.

--

Rod Gill
Microsoft MVP for Project - http://www.project-systems.co.nz

Author of the only book on Project VBA, see: http://www.projectvbabook.com

"Dale Fye" <dale.fye@nospam.com> wrote in message

> I have an application that tracks various projects with milestones and
> other
> dates.  My client is interested in visually depicting some of this
> information, and would like to try using Microsoft Project.
>
> They have created a small Project file with data they extracted and
> manually
> entered into project.  What we now want to do is figure out how to either
> link Project to Access to use the Access tables directly, or to use Access
> identify "differences" between their data and what exists in the
> application.
>
> Does anyone have any experience in this area?
>
> What is the format of a "Project" file.
>
> Anything I should know before I go blindly stumbling into this?
>
> ----
> Dale

> signature database 4791 (20100120) __________

> http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4791 (20100120) __________

http://www.eset.com

0
Rod
1/20/2010 7:47:38 PM
Guys,

Appreciate your responses.  I would really like to avoid having two separate
data sources (and the work required to keep them synchronized).  Our
application is currently written in Access, using SharePoint lists as the
data source (long story).

Given the comment that Project cannot read from Access unless the data is in
the right format, the question becomes, how can I use Access to
view/manipulate the data that is in a Project file?  Or can I?

If I can, then I could add/delete/change data in the Project file directly
from Access.  This would obviously require some knowledge of the Project
Object model, but more importantly, a knowledge of the project data structure.

----
Dale

"Dale Fye" wrote:

> I have an application that tracks various projects with milestones and other
> dates.  My client is interested in visually depicting some of this
> information, and would like to try using Microsoft Project.
>
> They have created a small Project file with data they extracted and manually
> entered into project.  What we now want to do is figure out how to either
> link Project to Access to use the Access tables directly, or to use Access to
> identify "differences" between their data and what exists in the application.
>
> Does anyone have any experience in this area?
>
> What is the format of a "Project" file.
>
> Anything I should know before I go blindly stumbling into this?
>
> ----
> Dale

Hi Dale,

As Rod Gill noted, unless you are using Access 2003 (which you aren't)
you'll need to read and manipulate the data through code.  JohnR posted
a link to the information on MSDN about the data access model.

I'll also put in a strong plug for investing Rod's excellent book on

On 1/21/2010 11:32 AM, Dale Fye wrote:
> Guys,
>
> Appreciate your responses.  I would really like to avoid having two separate
> data sources (and the work required to keep them synchronized).  Our
> application is currently written in Access, using SharePoint lists as the
> data source (long story).
>
> Given the comment that Project cannot read from Access unless the data is in
> the right format, the question becomes, how can I use Access to
> view/manipulate the data that is in a Project file?  Or can I?
>
> If I can, then I could add/delete/change data in the Project file directly
> from Access.  This would obviously require some knowledge of the Project
> Object model, but more importantly, a knowledge of the project data structure.
>
> ----
> Dale
>

> "Dale Fye" wrote:
>

>> I have an application that tracks various projects with milestones and other
>> dates.  My client is interested in visually depicting some of this
>> information, and would like to try using Microsoft Project.
>>
>> They have created a small Project file with data they extracted and manually
>> entered into project.  What we now want to do is figure out how to either
>> link Project to Access to use the Access tables directly, or to use Access to
>> identify "differences" between their data and what exists in the application.
>>
>> Does anyone have any experience in this area?
>>
>> What is the format of a "Project" file.
>>
>> Anything I should know before I go blindly stumbling into this?
>>
>> ----
>> Dale

0
JulieS
1/21/2010 4:51:17 PM

"Rod Gill" <rodATproject-systemsDOTcoDOTnz> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Unless your Access database is structured exactly as Project needs it then
> the only way to read data from any database in Project 2007 onwards is
> using VBA code, either in Access to push data to Project or in Project to
> pull data from Access. Project 2003 and earlier does have an ODBC link and
> you can create a map to map fields in Access to fields in Project. This
> does not link data, but does import to Project.
>
> --
>
> Rod Gill
> Microsoft MVP for Project - http://www.project-systems.co.nz
>
> Author of the only book on Project VBA, see: http://www.projectvbabook.com
>

> "Dale Fye" <dale.fye@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I have an application that tracks various projects with milestones and
>> other
>> dates.  My client is interested in visually depicting some of this
>> information, and would like to try using Microsoft Project.
>>
>> They have created a small Project file with data they extracted and
>> manually
>> entered into project.  What we now want to do is figure out how to either
>> link Project to Access to use the Access tables directly, or to use
>> Access to
>> identify "differences" between their data and what exists in the
>> application.
>>
>> Does anyone have any experience in this area?
>>
>> What is the format of a "Project" file.
>>
>> Anything I should know before I go blindly stumbling into this?
>>
>> ----
>> Dale

>> signature database 4791 (20100120) __________

>> http://www.eset.com

> signature database 4791 (20100120) __________

> http://www.eset.com
>
> hallo

Excel hart has OLE onject errors in Access 2007
I am trying to build a chart on a form in Access 2007. I have already created it in Excel and want it to look the same but it seems that the formatting options are greatly reduced, fewer chart options, and formatting variations in Access. I tried to copy and paste the chart from Excel 2007 onto my Access form, and gave it the query as the data source but got messages "The operation on the OLE object failed. The OLE server may not be registered. To register the OLE server, reinstall it." If I remove the name of the query I get an identical chart to the one in Excel, ...

Microsoft CRM Data Migration Framework
Hi All, We have Microsoft CRM 1.2 installed. Its up and running without any problems. We installed Microsoft CRM Data Migration Framework but I guess it is for CRM version 1.0 (The CD came with Microsoft CRM 1.0 the first time when we bought it). My question is can I update the Migration Framework so that it will work with CRM 1.2 or is there all together new Migration Framework available for download which works with CRM 1.2. Thanks, Prasad This is the error I am getting when I try to initialize CDF database. Microsoft CRM Data Migration Framework Version 1.0 - InitializeCDF Too...

Change link between form and subform

outlook blocked access
getting the following message on one of our sales computers when a customer attempts to send a document signature_.pdf.url Outlook blocked access to the following potentially unsafe attachments. 1st what is a pdf.url ? some type of adobe document but what ?? How do i keep Outlook from blocking this ?? it could be a virus/worm. (they use a double tapped extension to fool the user into thinking that it is a safe attachment type like *.pdf) has the user written back the sender to confirm that it was something they sent to them? "m macon" <maconm@earthlink.net> wrote in m...

linking #4

Linked Forms

Is the file lph.dll a legit file by Ms for Office 2007?
I bought several MS Office Prof 2007 via ebay from different vendors - they came boxed with all the expected labels, security flags, holograms and imprints. When trying to install one, my Hips popped up alerting me to a file. Uploading this file lph.dll to virustotal shows that 7 out 41 AV consider the file a trojan/malware. I contacted MS support re the first file I received and was told that the license number was legit but did not get any answer re the lph.dll issue. Does anyone know what this file does, why some AV consider it malware (could be a FP) and in particular i...

Access Formula For Dates
I need to show on a weekly basis, the number of weeks left in the year. I don't want to have to enter it, I want Access to calculate it for me and show it on my report/database each time it is opened. For example , I want to say there are 34 weeks left in this year. Is there a formula I can usethat will determine the number of weeks remaining from today's date (whatever it is) to December 31? One way to look at this is that, if you can identify the "week" of the current date, you can subtract that from 52 to get an idea of how many weeks are left. .... o...

Links not linking

microsoft money 2002 #7
My program is listing all bills as deposits. ...

Linked Table Manager in ACCESS

.NET Webservice Accessing Exchange 2003
I would like to setup a .NET webservice that will access an Exchange 2003 server and perform the following tasks: 1) Given a particular email address, return all headers/subjects that matches the TO or FROM field. The purpose would be to return all emails from a particular individual in order to enhance a home grown CRM system. It would have to search a select few exchange mailboxes. 2) Given the particular email, return the body of the email. Is this possible? If so, what kind of performance am I looking at here given upwards of 20,000 total emails in 3 or 4 mailboxes? If this is possib...

OFFICE 2007 ENTERPRISE english version
I have an original CD with OFFICE 2007 ENTERPRISE hebrew version. In order to install the english version (menu/toolbars in english but all the documents features available in both languages) i asked from the vendor for and I get a supplementary CD (MS-OFFICE-ENG-SLP). How can I install the software, the hebrew OFFICE first and after that the english kit or invers? Thank's - Niki Here you will find the Phone numbers and email addresses as to where and whom to contact about Office Enterprise and your issue. Scroll down to the bottom of page to North America or to the nearest s...

Link To A Cell From Chart

links

Mailing system for access
Hi We have an in-house access app which runs on windows LAN. We are looking for an email newsletter mailing solution that can work with contacts data from the access app. Currently I am looking at this; http://www.constantcontact.com/index.jsp. The problem is this does not access data straight from an access database. Does anyone have had experience with this? Anything that works well with access? Any recommendations would be appreciated? Thanks Regards On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 03:11:19 +0100, "John" <John@nospam.infovis.co.uk> wrote: >Hi > >We have an in-house...

Thank you microsoft.public.excel.charting
The following is an excerpt from the acknowledgments in my forthcoming book, Just Plain Data Analysis [the companion web page is here: http://lilt.ilstu.edu/jpda/ "To prepare the tables and charts in this book, I acquired near mastery of the 2003 Microsoft Excel charting software and considerable experience with the 2007 version. Excel is much more powerful than a counter sorter, but the frustrations are the same. My masters in my quest to earn a black belt in Excel charting were the regular contributors to the microsoft.public.excel.charting newsgroup: Rob Bovey, Debra Dalgleish, Shane ...

Links

Microsoft money 2003 #4
When I try to enter a transaction into the register I get the following response: "This transaction cannot be enterred". This problem just popped up and has never happened before. I would appreciate any advice. Thank you, Charlie In microsoft.public.money, Charlie wrote: >When I try to enter a transaction into the register I get >the following response: "This transaction cannot be >enterred". This problem just popped up and has never >happened before. > >I would appreciate any advice. Consider File->Restore. If you don't have a rec...

access info
i want to make a form that shows info in subforms when i click on a name in a combox box. HEELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP That's not the way subforms work. Forms/subforms are for one-to-many relationships. The main form displays the one side and the subform displays the many side. For example, suppose your database records customers and their orders. A customer might have many orders so you have a one-to-many relationship. The tables should look like: TblCustomer CustomerID <fields about a customer such as name and address> TblOrder OrderID CustomerID <field...

Linked Tables Over A LAN

email links in Publisher pdf

Chart template and links

Opening MS Access application via Perl TK
Hi, We have a perl TK application and a couple of buttons on the form that when clicked open up MS Access applications. Even though the Access applications have "maximize" property set to true, they always open up minimized when they are invoked through TK. Could anyone give any pointers on why this may be happening and how this can be resolved? Thanks. Access applications will maximize to the Access window, but not to the desktop. To maximize Access itself, you'll need code within Perl to maximize the window, or use VBA to maximize the window with a Windows API. See: htt...

Excel 2007
I am trying to do a mail merge, and the information I need is contained in two separate excel workbooks. The first workbook contains the names and addresses of individuals who receive a specific item number. The second workbok lists the various item numbers along with the price for each item. Is there a function in Excel that I can use to add the pricing information contained in the second workbooks to the first workbook, so that I can successfully compplete my mail merge using one data source document? You can use VLOOKUP. Assuming Col C in sheet 1 contains item# and ...