Linked Tables Over A LAN

Hi, I have a problem with a PC that is sharing an Access database over
a LAN. I'm hoping someone may be able to give me a little advice. By
the way, I'm a bit of an amatuer so go easy on the technical
terminology ;-).

I've got four PCs networked through a router which provides internet
access. Two PCs are running XP Pro and two are running Vista Business
32bit. One Vista machine holds my full database while the other PCs
have a similar database but with tables linked to the first machine.
Been running this setup for several years, on various older PCs, with
no problems.

My problem is this: one new Vista machine does not seem to be able to
access the main database tables while any other machine is running
this Access application. This only happens on the one machine. I've
tried moving the network connections around but the problem stays with
the same machine.

I feel this is probably something simple so feel free to suggest the
obvious.

Any help appriciated, Cliff

0
Cliff
6/21/2007 8:28:04 AM
access 16762 articles. 2 followers. Follow

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 01:28:04 -0700, Cliff <cliff@wheatleymetalfabrications.co.uk> wrote:

>Hi, I have a problem with a PC that is sharing an Access database over
>a LAN. I'm hoping someone may be able to give me a little advice. By
>the way, I'm a bit of an amatuer so go easy on the technical
>terminology ;-).
>
>I've got four PCs networked through a router which provides internet
>access. Two PCs are running XP Pro and two are running Vista Business
>32bit. One Vista machine holds my full database while the other PCs
>have a similar database but with tables linked to the first machine.
>Been running this setup for several years, on various older PCs, with
>no problems.
>
>My problem is this: one new Vista machine does not seem to be able to
>access the main database tables while any other machine is running
>this Access application. This only happens on the one machine. I've
>tried moving the network connections around but the problem stays with
>the same machine.
>
>I feel this is probably something simple so feel free to suggest the
>obvious.

Have you seen this article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935370/en-us

I'm not sure this is you issue, so make SURE that you need to apply the hotfix before doing so ... but it sure sounds
like this problem.

>Any help appriciated, Cliff

Scott McDaniel
scott@takemeout_infotrakker.com
www.infotrakker.com
0
Scott
6/21/2007 10:44:26 AM
On 21 Jun, 11:44, Scott McDaniel <scott@NoSpam_Infotrakker.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 01:28:04 -0700, Cliff <c...@wheatleymetalfabrications.co.uk> wrote:
> >Hi, I have a problem with a PC that is sharing an Access database over
> >a LAN. I'm hoping someone may be able to give me a little advice. By
> >the way, I'm a bit of an amatuer so go easy on the technical
> >terminology ;-).
>
> >I've got four PCs networked through a router which provides internet
> >access. Two PCs are running XP Pro and two are running Vista Business
> >32bit. One Vista machine holds my full database while the other PCs
> >have a similar database but with tables linked to the first machine.
> >Been running this setup for several years, on various older PCs, with
> >no problems.
>
> >My problem is this: one new Vista machine does not seem to be able to
> >access the main database tables while any other machine is running
> >this Access application. This only happens on the one machine. I've
> >tried moving the network connections around but the problem stays with
> >the same machine.
>
> >I feel this is probably something simple so feel free to suggest the
> >obvious.
>
> Have you seen this article:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935370/en-us
>
> I'm not sure this is you issue, so make SURE that you need to apply the hotfix before doing so ... but it sure sounds
> like this problem.
>

> >Any help appriciated, Cliff
>
> Scott McDaniel
> scott@takemeout_infotrakker.comwww.infotrakker.com- Hide quoted text -

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your reply. I've not seen that acticle before and it
certainly looks like my problem.

Much appriciated, Cliff

0
Cliff
6/22/2007 9:30:38 AM
On 21 Jun, 11:44, Scott McDaniel <scott@NoSpam_Infotrakker.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 01:28:04 -0700, Cliff <c...@wheatleymetalfabrications.co.uk> wrote:
> >Hi, I have a problem with a PC that is sharing an Access database over
> >a LAN. I'm hoping someone may be able to give me a little advice. By
> >the way, I'm a bit of an amatuer so go easy on the technical
> >terminology ;-).
>
> >I've got four PCs networked through a router which provides internet
> >access. Two PCs are running XP Pro and two are running Vista Business
> >32bit. One Vista machine holds my full database while the other PCs
> >have a similar database but with tables linked to the first machine.
> >Been running this setup for several years, on various older PCs, with
> >no problems.
>
> >My problem is this: one new Vista machine does not seem to be able to
> >access the main database tables while any other machine is running
> >this Access application. This only happens on the one machine. I've
> >tried moving the network connections around but the problem stays with
> >the same machine.
>
> >I feel this is probably something simple so feel free to suggest the
> >obvious.
>
> Have you seen this article:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935370/en-us
>
> I'm not sure this is you issue, so make SURE that you need to apply the hotfix before doing so ... but it sure sounds
> like this problem.
>

> >Any help appriciated, Cliff
>
> Scott McDaniel
> scott@takemeout_infotrakker.comwww.infotrakker.com- Hide quoted text -

I've got the hot-fix from Microsoft, installed it and all is now
working fine.

Thanks again, Cliff

0
Cliff

Change link between form and subform

Linked Forms

Transforming Table into Matrix
Hi there, I hope you can help me. _*DATA_I_HAVE:*_ *Table * of *3 columns*: -column 1-: up to 60.000 terms -column 2:- up to 60.000 terms (mostly the same as in column 1; jus different order (column 1 and 2 are representing a connotation) -column 3-: weighting of connotation _*AIM:*_ In order to conduct a better evaluation of the data (connotations) need to *transform * the *Table-Sheet * into a *Matrix*, - having 2 coordinates: 1 coordinate representing column 1, on representing column 2 and - filled data (crossing of the terms) representing the weighting of th connotation(s) _*QUESTIO...

linking #4

Links not linking

Linked Table Manager in ACCESS

Link To A Cell From Chart

links

Linked Tables Over A LAN

2 Axis Pivot Table Based Chart Problem
Hi, I have a Pivot Table with 6 data types. 1 has a wide scale, say 1 - 100,000. The other 5 data types have a scale that is narrow, say 1 - 20. After I create the Pivot Chart from the Pivot Table and choose a "Line - Column on 2 Axes" type chart, Excel assigns the first 3 data types to the scale on the left (which happens to be the small scale) and the other 3 data types to the large scale, even though 2 of those last 3 are small scale data types. So, the result is 2 data series displaying as if they are zero, because their values are things like 3, 7, 11, 0.5, yet Excel has fo...

Links

Modify pivot table report
I am sent an xls that includes a worksheet that is a pivot table. There are a couple combo boxes in the first row (e.g., Date, Year) that if I were able to connect to the external data source would allow requerying of the pivot table. I don't need to do that. I just need that data as it is but I would like to delete the combo boxes from the worksheet. I am prevented from doing that (msg: you cannot change or modify a pivot table report). I can cut the data and paste it into another spreadsheet, however. I'd rather be able to modify the original worksheet (delete the first row with ...

Data Tables
Question for you, please: In the past, if I wanted to use an EXCEL data table, I was sure that the "row input" and "column input" cells needed to have values in them. It needed to be, for example, 3, not even =3, since the latter is a formula. That made sense to me because you are asking EXCEL to give you some other cell's result with different values for this "input" cell. Recently, I replaced such an input with a formula and, to my surprise, the data table results did not change and it seems to work anyway, which kind of blows me away. You would think t...

Pivot table and running total #2
I have a table with Columns: Region, Client, Date, and quantity. Using a pivot table I want to see per Region the quantity each Clients bought or sold. The problem I have is I can't figure out how to view a running total per region. You can view at this URL "http://members.freemail.ch/paulg/pivottable.gif" a picture of how I would want to see it (in yellow) and the table it comes from. Actual data has at least 20 different regions and 60 or so clients. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks ...

email links in Publisher pdf

text box datasource refer to a field in a table
Hi, I am building a report that gives a summary on all purchase order in a period of time. For the report, I have the query set up no problem, but on the report Head, I would like to make it dynamic so that it can display a company name field from another table (not included in the report's datasource). Using the expression builder I got the following: =[company name]!CompanyName [company name] is the name of the table and CompanyName is the name of the field in the table. When I try to run the report, it promps me for a variable, somehow it doesn't recognize that [company name] is a...

Chart template and links

how do i show text in the data field of a pivot table?
If you put a text field into the data area of a pivot table, it will summarize the field to show a count, instead of showing the text. You can place the text fields in the Row, Column or Page areas, where their text will show. pum75 wrote: -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

Linking to ODBC Linked Tables

Tables to PDF
Hi there, I'm working with a table in Publisher at the moment & have formatted all my column / row gridlines to 0.25pt. However, when I convert to Adobe PDF, some of the lines appear much thicker than the others. Any Suggestions? Ian Have you tried printing the .pdf file? I've seen lines that look thicker but print just fine. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "ianp" <ianp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:402A32B6-8157-4D23-907A-9C437BD4FE35@microsoft.com... > Hi there, > > I'm working with a table in Publisher at...

Saving information to a table field
Hi Really not sure if this is possible, however I will try to explain... I am wanting to have a field on a form that will allow the user to see information on the persons file of meetings they have attended. I am upgrading the database for someone and at the moment they have a checkbox for different events that have happened which is each held in its own column. I would like it to be able to have a sub form or something that would show each event that has happened and a checkbox next to the events to say that they have attended. Saving it into different fields is an option, but I would li...

Linked Graphs from Excel
I have linked graphs from excel into my publisher document using Paste Special. The problem is that when they paste in they reshape (I have pie charts and they come in publisher looking like tall skinny ovals). I can fix the shape of the charts manually after pasting them in, but when I update the links the reshaping reverts to its original, incorrect size. Any suggestions on how I can use the linking to excel and not have to resize every time I update? "Paste Special" as what format? Have you tried an image format? -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http...

linking subforms
my application have customers and invoices. each customer can have 1 or more invoices. on my form i have a subform for customers and one subform for invoices. both subforms are in datasheet view. if i click on customer A in the customer subform i want the invoice subform to show only invoices for customer A and at the same time allow me to add invoices for customer A. what are the steps to accomplish this? also i want to be able to print a report such that customer A is listed together with all customer A's invoices followed by customer B and so on. how can this be accomplished? thanks ...

table of content
Using styles (Heading 1, etc) in Word (any version) allows me to create a TOC very simply. I cannot find a way to create a table of content automatically in Publisher (2003), for instance by applying styles. Am I missing something or have they just left out this option? Don't want to create a TOC manually in a 200 page document.... TIA - Rob The bad news is you will have to create the TOC manually. Publisher is a page layout application. Word is better suited for what you are doing. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.mvps.org/msauer/ news://msnews.microsof...

visited links no longer change color
The links still work when clicked but, no longer show purple when visited. This happens in both Outlook and Outlook Express. Yesterday I tried making fonts a little larger as I have eyesight problem. Not sure if this is when the link color problem started. What I did exactly is: *Tools > Options > Mail Format > click "Fonts" button > click "International Fonts" button * At first I went through the list making each one "Larger" font size. * I realized that it's probably only "Western European" I need to change, so all others were set ...