Linked Table Manager in ACCESS

Hi,

I am trying to change a field in an ACCESS table and get an error message
that says the table is a linked table and fields can't be changed.  After
googling for some answers, I think I should be able to find out the link
using "Linked Table Manager" in ACCESS.  However, the "Linked Table Manager"
button is grayed out.  Any ideas/suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

Richard
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Open the table in Design View.  Reduce the window so that you can see the
window's top bar.  Right click in the top bar of the window (usually blue in
color) and select 'Properties'.  There is a property in there that will tell
you exactly where it is linked.

"Richard" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to change a field in an ACCESS table and get an error message
> that says the table is a linked table and fields can't be changed.  After
> googling for some answers, I think I should be able to find out the link
> using "Linked Table Manager" in ACCESS.  However, the "Linked Table Manager"
> button is grayed out.  Any ideas/suggestions are welcome.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Richard
Richard,

Before you embark on changing a field, is this an MDE database?  The reason
I ask is because you say the Linked Table Manager button is greyed out.  And
if it is a MDE then you won't be able to update the forms.  So you chould
investigate that before making any changes.

--
Gina Whipp

II

"Richard" <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to change a field in an ACCESS table and get an error message
> that says the table is a linked table and fields can't be changed.  After
> googling for some answers, I think I should be able to find out the link
> using "Linked Table Manager" in ACCESS.  However, the "Linked Table
> Manager"
> button is grayed out.  Any ideas/suggestions are welcome.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Richard

0
Gina
11/17/2009 11:21:15 PM
You can get the location of the table using the following in the immediate
window of the VBA.

Enter the following and press return.  It should return the connect string
which will have the full path to the back end database where that table exists.
?Currentdb.TableDefs("Name Of the Table").Connect

John Spencer
Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2009
The Hilltop Institute
University of Maryland Baltimore County

Richard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to change a field in an ACCESS table and get an error message
> that says the table is a linked table and fields can't be changed.  After
> googling for some answers, I think I should be able to find out the link
> using "Linked Table Manager" in ACCESS.  However, the "Linked Table Manager"
> button is grayed out.  Any ideas/suggestions are welcome.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Richard
0
John
11/18/2009 2:08:20 PM
And even in databases where Linked Table Manager isn't available, our
J Street Access Relinker will work.  You're welcome to download it for
free from:
http://www.jstreettech.com/downloads

It handles multiple Access back-end databases, ignores ODBC linked
tables, and can automatically and silently relink to back-end
databases in the same folder as the application (handy for work
databases or single-user scenarios).  There's a ReadMe table with
instructions.

Armen Stein
Microsoft Access MVP
www.JStreetTech.com

0
Armen

Excel hart has OLE onject errors in Access 2007
I am trying to build a chart on a form in Access 2007. I have already created it in Excel and want it to look the same but it seems that the formatting options are greatly reduced, fewer chart options, and formatting variations in Access. I tried to copy and paste the chart from Excel 2007 onto my Access form, and gave it the query as the data source but got messages "The operation on the OLE object failed. The OLE server may not be registered. To register the OLE server, reinstall it." If I remove the name of the query I get an identical chart to the one in Excel, ...

outlook blocked access
getting the following message on one of our sales computers when a customer attempts to send a document signature_.pdf.url Outlook blocked access to the following potentially unsafe attachments. 1st what is a pdf.url ? some type of adobe document but what ?? How do i keep Outlook from blocking this ?? it could be a virus/worm. (they use a double tapped extension to fool the user into thinking that it is a safe attachment type like *.pdf) has the user written back the sender to confirm that it was something they sent to them? "m macon" <maconm@earthlink.net> wrote in m...

Change link between form and subform

Transforming Table into Matrix
Hi there, I hope you can help me. _*DATA_I_HAVE:*_ *Table * of *3 columns*: -column 1-: up to 60.000 terms -column 2:- up to 60.000 terms (mostly the same as in column 1; jus different order (column 1 and 2 are representing a connotation) -column 3-: weighting of connotation _*AIM:*_ In order to conduct a better evaluation of the data (connotations) need to *transform * the *Table-Sheet * into a *Matrix*, - having 2 coordinates: 1 coordinate representing column 1, on representing column 2 and - filled data (crossing of the terms) representing the weighting of th connotation(s) _*QUESTIO...

Linked Forms

linking #4

Account's Relationship Type property vs. Competitor Management?
Hi, What does property "Relationship Type" in Account Management mean? it has a value named "Competitor", what is relationship between this property with Competitor Management function? Thanks, Account is a general term used to define relationships with any real world entity. So Customers, Prospects, Suppliers, Partners, etc are all examples of 'relationships'. That is if you choose to use the system that way - some people only include 'customers'. The use of Competitor in this instance is just an example, and remember - if you only have the sales ...

Links not linking

Linked Table Manager in ACCESS

.NET Webservice Accessing Exchange 2003
I would like to setup a .NET webservice that will access an Exchange 2003 server and perform the following tasks: 1) Given a particular email address, return all headers/subjects that matches the TO or FROM field. The purpose would be to return all emails from a particular individual in order to enhance a home grown CRM system. It would have to search a select few exchange mailboxes. 2) Given the particular email, return the body of the email. Is this possible? If so, what kind of performance am I looking at here given upwards of 20,000 total emails in 3 or 4 mailboxes? If this is possib...

Link To A Cell From Chart

Mailing system for access
Hi We have an in-house access app which runs on windows LAN. We are looking for an email newsletter mailing solution that can work with contacts data from the access app. Currently I am looking at this; http://www.constantcontact.com/index.jsp. The problem is this does not access data straight from an access database. Does anyone have had experience with this? Anything that works well with access? Any recommendations would be appreciated? Thanks Regards On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 03:11:19 +0100, "John" <John@nospam.infovis.co.uk> wrote: >Hi > >We have an in-house...

links

Linked Tables Over A LAN

access info
i want to make a form that shows info in subforms when i click on a name in a combox box. HEELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP That's not the way subforms work. Forms/subforms are for one-to-many relationships. The main form displays the one side and the subform displays the many side. For example, suppose your database records customers and their orders. A customer might have many orders so you have a one-to-many relationship. The tables should look like: TblCustomer CustomerID <fields about a customer such as name and address> TblOrder OrderID CustomerID <field...

2 Axis Pivot Table Based Chart Problem
Hi, I have a Pivot Table with 6 data types. 1 has a wide scale, say 1 - 100,000. The other 5 data types have a scale that is narrow, say 1 - 20. After I create the Pivot Chart from the Pivot Table and choose a "Line - Column on 2 Axes" type chart, Excel assigns the first 3 data types to the scale on the left (which happens to be the small scale) and the other 3 data types to the large scale, even though 2 of those last 3 are small scale data types. So, the result is 2 data series displaying as if they are zero, because their values are things like 3, 7, 11, 0.5, yet Excel has fo...

Links

Modify pivot table report
I am sent an xls that includes a worksheet that is a pivot table. There are a couple combo boxes in the first row (e.g., Date, Year) that if I were able to connect to the external data source would allow requerying of the pivot table. I don't need to do that. I just need that data as it is but I would like to delete the combo boxes from the worksheet. I am prevented from doing that (msg: you cannot change or modify a pivot table report). I can cut the data and paste it into another spreadsheet, however. I'd rather be able to modify the original worksheet (delete the first row with ...

Classic Access Menubars in 2007
I'm trying to upgrade our ADP to Access 2007. How can I view the classic menubars? There are apparently some third party products you can get (unfortunately, I don't have the names handy). Without them, you're out of luck. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no private e-mails, please) "Simon Pollock" <simon.pollock@italfondiario.com> wrote in message news:%23$tbCmj5HHA.1168@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > I'm trying to upgrade our ADP to Access 2007. > > How can I view the classic menubars? > ...

Data Tables
Question for you, please: In the past, if I wanted to use an EXCEL data table, I was sure that the "row input" and "column input" cells needed to have values in them. It needed to be, for example, 3, not even =3, since the latter is a formula. That made sense to me because you are asking EXCEL to give you some other cell's result with different values for this "input" cell. Recently, I replaced such an input with a formula and, to my surprise, the data table results did not change and it seems to work anyway, which kind of blows me away. You would think t...

Pivot table and running total #2
I have a table with Columns: Region, Client, Date, and quantity. Using a pivot table I want to see per Region the quantity each Clients bought or sold. The problem I have is I can't figure out how to view a running total per region. You can view at this URL "http://members.freemail.ch/paulg/pivottable.gif" a picture of how I would want to see it (in yellow) and the table it comes from. Actual data has at least 20 different regions and 60 or so clients. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks ...

oulook.exe/winword.exe linger in task manager
Hi there Please can you help with this problem ... I'm using Word as my email editor. When I close Outlook (as just before I shut down my machine), I notice that both Word and Outlook linger in the Task Manager. I can't open either Outlook or Word again without ending both processes in the Task Manager, and my machine takes a bit of time to shut down (at least an extra minute before each process must be manually ended). When I use Active Ports or similar utility, I notice that Outlook continues to communicate with the Exchange Server for some time (hours) after I have closed i...

email links in Publisher pdf

Event Planning/Event Management Add-On
Does anyone know of a good add-on to handle event planning? It appears that Axonom sells a product. I'm not sure it's compatible with CRM 3.0, though. The screen shots are from 1.x. We're looking for an add-on that will help us plan our annual user conference with about 300 attendees. Before I go off and build our own custom entities to handle this stuff, I thought I'd see what's out there. Our requirements are pretty basic: - Track attendees to the event, and which training sessions and activities they'd like to attend. - Payment information including total fee...

Chart template and links