Linked Excel Field formatting Problem

I am using Access2003 and am trying to link an excel spreadsheet for use in a
drop down selector.  I have one column (acct#) which contains a lot of
numbers, but needs to be a text field (some entries say "TBD" or have
hyphenated numbers).  Access insists on keeping the column as a numeric field
and displays the non-numeric fields as "#Num!".

I have tried: formatting the cells as text before linking; putting dummy
text data in the first line (abc and 'abc ) before linking; and tried using
conversions in a query (CStr, Str, Str$ & Format).

I'm out of ideas, can anyone suggest a solution?
access 16762 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Karen,
Use a query based on the excel spreadsheet as the row source for the combo.
Use a calculated field for the combo
Expr1: CStr([TheField])
See if that gives the format you want.

Jeanette Cunningham

"Karen" <Karen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am using Access2003 and am trying to link an excel spreadsheet for use in
> drop down selector.  I have one column (acct#) which contains a lot of
> numbers, but needs to be a text field (some entries say "TBD" or have
> hyphenated numbers).  Access insists on keeping the column as a numeric
> field
> and displays the non-numeric fields as "#Num!".
>
> I have tried: formatting the cells as text before linking; putting dummy
> text data in the first line (abc and 'abc ) before linking; and tried
> using
> conversions in a query (CStr, Str, Str$ & Format).
>
> I'm out of ideas, can anyone suggest a solution?

0
Jeanette
2/25/2008 9:50:01 PM
I tried that, I think.  The query I did was based on the linked spreadsheet
with a calculated field as you suggested.  But all the data that showed in
the linked 'table' as "#Num!" still showed as "#Num!" in the query results,
rather than being the string data from the spreadsheet.

I almost found another workaround.  I made all the acct numbers have a
non-numeric character in the spreadsheet (a preceeding space in most cases);
linked the spreadsheet thusly so that the field would be defined as Text in
Access; and then I removed all the added non-numeric characters from the
spreadsheet.  It worked until I overwrote the spreadsheet with a copy (which
will be a daily occurance since the source file is restricted).  When I
reopened the database, the field was redefined as a number again and I'm back
to the original issue.

So I'm still at a loss.

-Karen

"Jeanette Cunningham" wrote:

> Karen,
> Use a query based on the excel spreadsheet as the row source for the combo.
> Use a calculated field for the combo
> Expr1: CStr([TheField])
> See if that gives the format you want.
>
> Jeanette Cunningham
>

> "Karen" <Karen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am using Access2003 and am trying to link an excel spreadsheet for use in
> > drop down selector.  I have one column (acct#) which contains a lot of
> > numbers, but needs to be a text field (some entries say "TBD" or have
> > hyphenated numbers).  Access insists on keeping the column as a numeric
> > field
> > and displays the non-numeric fields as "#Num!".
> >
> > I have tried: formatting the cells as text before linking; putting dummy
> > text data in the first line (abc and 'abc ) before linking; and tried
> > using
> > conversions in a query (CStr, Str, Str$ & Format).
> >
> > I'm out of ideas, can anyone suggest a solution?

Karen,
In my tests with an excel spreadsheet
I created a column with a general format.
Some of the entries were numbers as stored as text
Other entries were numbers stored in general format

When linking to the spreadsheet, all the numbers stored in general format
showed #Num! regardless of everything I tried.
Only the numbers stored as text were usable in access.

What did work for me, was to import that column into an access table into a
text type field.
It looks as though an import is the only way to go.
Each day before you run the import routine, you could empty the table that
receives the import.

> I tried that, I think.  The query I did was based on the linked
> spreadsheet
> with a calculated field as you suggested.  But all the data that showed in
> the linked 'table' as "#Num!" still showed as "#Num!" in the query
> results,
> rather than being the string data from the spreadsheet.
>
> I almost found another workaround.  I made all the acct numbers have a
> non-numeric character in the spreadsheet (a preceeding space in most
> cases);
> linked the spreadsheet thusly so that the field would be defined as Text
> in
> Access; and then I removed all the added non-numeric characters from the
> spreadsheet.  It worked until I overwrote the spreadsheet with a copy
> (which
> will be a daily occurance since the source file is restricted).  When I
> reopened the database, the field was redefined as a number again and I'm
> back
> to the original issue.
>
> So I'm still at a loss.
>
> -Karen
>
> "Jeanette Cunningham" wrote:
>
>> Karen,
>> Use a query based on the excel spreadsheet as the row source for the
>> combo.
>> Use a calculated field for the combo
>> Expr1: CStr([TheField])
>> See if that gives the format you want.
>>
>> Jeanette Cunningham
>>

>> "Karen" <Karen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am using Access2003 and am trying to link an excel spreadsheet for use
>> >in
>> > drop down selector.  I have one column (acct#) which contains a lot of
>> > numbers, but needs to be a text field (some entries say "TBD" or have
>> > hyphenated numbers).  Access insists on keeping the column as a numeric
>> > field
>> > and displays the non-numeric fields as "#Num!".
>> >
>> > I have tried: formatting the cells as text before linking; putting
>> > dummy
>> > text data in the first line (abc and 'abc ) before linking; and tried
>> > using
>> > conversions in a query (CStr, Str, Str$ & Format).
>> >
>> > I'm out of ideas, can anyone suggest a solution?

0
Jeanette
2/25/2008 10:54:51 PM
I have had a similar result.  I've even had it switch which items said
"#Num!" when I got the field to switch to being Text (numbers stored as
General then showed up that way).

Unfortunately, we just don't have someone available to do a daily import,
nor a login that it can be linked to as an trigger for an automated routine.

What I think will work is adding a column in the spreadsheet that
concatenates some string character with the account#, thereby insuring that
the incoming column is always defined as Text field.  I can then strip out
the known, added text via a query.  And the column can always be hidden for
the spreadsheet users.

I was just hoping that there was a less kludgy way of doing it.

Thanks anyway for keeping me thinking on it!  And certainly if you come up
with another way, let me know.  :-)

-Karen

"Jeanette Cunningham" wrote:

> Karen,
> In my tests with an excel spreadsheet
> I created a column with a general format.
> Some of the entries were numbers as stored as text
> Other entries were numbers stored in general format
>
> When linking to the spreadsheet, all the numbers stored in general format
> showed #Num! regardless of everything I tried.
> Only the numbers stored as text were usable in access.
>
> What did work for me, was to import that column into an access table into a
> text type field.
> It looks as though an import is the only way to go.
> Each day before you run the import routine, you could empty the table that
> receives the import.
>
> Jeanette Cunningham
>

> "Karen" <Karen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> > I tried that, I think.  The query I did was based on the linked
> > spreadsheet
> > with a calculated field as you suggested.  But all the data that showed in
> > the linked 'table' as "#Num!" still showed as "#Num!" in the query
> > results,
> > rather than being the string data from the spreadsheet.
> >
> > I almost found another workaround.  I made all the acct numbers have a
> > non-numeric character in the spreadsheet (a preceeding space in most
> > cases);
> > linked the spreadsheet thusly so that the field would be defined as Text
> > in
> > Access; and then I removed all the added non-numeric characters from the
> > spreadsheet.  It worked until I overwrote the spreadsheet with a copy
> > (which
> > will be a daily occurance since the source file is restricted).  When I
> > reopened the database, the field was redefined as a number again and I'm
> > back
> > to the original issue.
> >
> > So I'm still at a loss.
> >
> > -Karen
> >
> > "Jeanette Cunningham" wrote:
> >
> >> Karen,
> >> Use a query based on the excel spreadsheet as the row source for the
> >> combo.
> >> Use a calculated field for the combo
> >> Expr1: CStr([TheField])
> >> See if that gives the format you want.
> >>
> >> Jeanette Cunningham
> >>

> >> "Karen" <Karen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Have you tried switching the cell format in Excel to "Text" and not General?
I have been working extensively on the same type of Excel to Access import
that you're talking about and have had great luck.  Access doesn't recognize
a field as either or, so before you import it or link it change the cell
format to Text.  If you are working with dates in this manner, then the
"DateValue" function works well for switching between the two programs.

"Karen" wrote:

> I have had a similar result.  I've even had it switch which items said
> "#Num!" when I got the field to switch to being Text (numbers stored as
> General then showed up that way).
>
> Unfortunately, we just don't have someone available to do a daily import,
> nor a login that it can be linked to as an trigger for an automated routine.
>
> What I think will work is adding a column in the spreadsheet that
> concatenates some string character with the account#, thereby insuring that
> the incoming column is always defined as Text field.  I can then strip out
> the known, added text via a query.  And the column can always be hidden for
> the spreadsheet users.
>
> I was just hoping that there was a less kludgy way of doing it.
>
> Thanks anyway for keeping me thinking on it!  And certainly if you come up
> with another way, let me know.  :-)
>
> -Karen
>
> "Jeanette Cunningham" wrote:
>
> > Karen,
> > In my tests with an excel spreadsheet
> > I created a column with a general format.
> > Some of the entries were numbers as stored as text
> > Other entries were numbers stored in general format
> >
> > When linking to the spreadsheet, all the numbers stored in general format
> > showed #Num! regardless of everything I tried.
> > Only the numbers stored as text were usable in access.
> >
> > What did work for me, was to import that column into an access table into a
> > text type field.
> > It looks as though an import is the only way to go.
> > Each day before you run the import routine, you could empty the table that
> > receives the import.
> >
> > Jeanette Cunningham
> >

> > "Karen" <Karen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > I tried that, I think.  The query I did was based on the linked
> > > spreadsheet
> > > with a calculated field as you suggested.  But all the data that showed in
> > > the linked 'table' as "#Num!" still showed as "#Num!" in the query
> > > results,
> > > rather than being the string data from the spreadsheet.
> > >
> > > I almost found another workaround.  I made all the acct numbers have a
> > > non-numeric character in the spreadsheet (a preceeding space in most
> > > cases);
> > > linked the spreadsheet thusly so that the field would be defined as Text
> > > in
> > > Access; and then I removed all the added non-numeric characters from the
> > > spreadsheet.  It worked until I overwrote the spreadsheet with a copy
> > > (which
> > > will be a daily occurance since the source file is restricted).  When I
> > > reopened the database, the field was redefined as a number again and I'm
> > > back
> > > to the original issue.
> > >
> > > So I'm still at a loss.
> > >
> > > -Karen

Yes, that was the first thing I tried.  You must get it to the point that
the "number stored as text" error happens.  For whatever reason, after
redefining the cell as text, I still had to go in and put a space/character
of somesort in each cell before it would do this.  Thankfully, they stayed as
text after I removed the extra character.

There's also the trick is that Access seems to redefine the field depending
on what it sees in most of the cells in that column.  Which potentially makes
it unreliable, especially considering that the folks responsible for the
spreadsheet aren't very interested in dealing with DBs and are likely to
forget these little 'quirks' that don't impact their use of the spreadsheet.

Thanks for the input.

-Karen

"Matt" wrote:

> Have you tried switching the cell format in Excel to "Text" and not General?
> I have been working extensively on the same type of Excel to Access import
> that you're talking about and have had great luck.  Access doesn't recognize
> a field as either or, so before you import it or link it change the cell
> format to Text.  If you are working with dates in this manner, then the
> "DateValue" function works well for switching between the two programs.
>
> "Karen" wrote:
>

> > I have had a similar result.  I've even had it switch which items said
> > "#Num!" when I got the field to switch to being Text (numbers stored as
> > General then showed up that way).
> >
> > Unfortunately, we just don't have someone available to do a daily import,
> > nor a login that it can be linked to as an trigger for an automated routine.
> >
> > What I think will work is adding a column in the spreadsheet that
> > concatenates some string character with the account#, thereby insuring that
> > the incoming column is always defined as Text field.  I can then strip out
> > the known, added text via a query.  And the column can always be hidden for
> > the spreadsheet users.
> >
> > I was just hoping that there was a less kludgy way of doing it.
> >
> > Thanks anyway for keeping me thinking on it!  And certainly if you come up
> > with another way, let me know.  :-)
> >
> > -Karen
> >
> > "Jeanette Cunningham" wrote:
> >
> > > Karen,
> > > In my tests with an excel spreadsheet
> > > I created a column with a general format.
> > > Some of the entries were numbers as stored as text
> > > Other entries were numbers stored in general format
> > >
> > > When linking to the spreadsheet, all the numbers stored in general format
> > > showed #Num! regardless of everything I tried.
> > > Only the numbers stored as text were usable in access.
> > >
> > > What did work for me, was to import that column into an access table into a
> > > text type field.
> > > It looks as though an import is the only way to go.
> > > Each day before you run the import routine, you could empty the table that
> > > receives the import.
> > >
> > > Jeanette Cunningham
> > >

> > > "Karen" <Karen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Problem Printing out Outlook Contacts
I'm using Outlook 2007 as part of Microsoft Office Small Business. Today I tried to print out a contact listing for the first time (installed only a couple of months ago so I don't know if this has been a problem the whole time or if my problem "just started") when I print out all my Contacts, Outlook is merging the names of some of my contacts and using the address of one of the contacts. Example: Mary Smith Mark Sutter 123 Main st. anytown , USA 12345 prints out when in fact Mary Smith and Mark Sutter are 2 separate contacts with 2 different addresses. ...

Change link between form and subform

Excel hart has OLE onject errors in Access 2007
I am trying to build a chart on a form in Access 2007. I have already created it in Excel and want it to look the same but it seems that the formatting options are greatly reduced, fewer chart options, and formatting variations in Access. I tried to copy and paste the chart from Excel 2007 onto my Access form, and gave it the query as the data source but got messages "The operation on the OLE object failed. The OLE server may not be registered. To register the OLE server, reinstall it." If I remove the name of the query I get an identical chart to the one in Excel, ...

Excel 2000 #4
I have a filled series of numbers that are relative. How do I change them to absolute? Do you that they are produced via formulae? -- HTH Bob Phillips (remove xxx from email address if mailing direct) "billytre" <billytre@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0C22BA5C-5B4D-44D0-8B56-8EDEBF1CE862@microsoft.com... > I have a filled series of numbers that are relative. How do I change them to > absolute? No Bob, Just a straight fill by dragging. "Bob Phillips" wrote: > Do you that they are produced via formulae? > > -- > HTH &...

How to insert a new field which is not currently in CRM's db
How to insert a new field which is not currently in CRM's db ? KC KC, The implementation guide covers this extensivlely, but you basically do this via the Deployment manger from the CRM app server. Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM ---------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------- On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 14:57:06 -0700, "KC" <kclai@addonsolutions.com.sg> wrote: How to insert a new field which is not currently in CRM's db ? KC ...

change default date format
Is there a way to change the default date format in Excel from the "short date" to a "long date" format permanently. Rightclick on the cell you want to change Format Cells - under the Number tab - Catagory - Date Then just choose the date style you want -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Mail merge using Excel data
Using P2003 and mail merge In Pub, whenever my "zipcode" field (that I am getting from an Excel file) has zip +4 digits, "0" shows up in the Pub merge results. In the Excel file, I have tried having the column attributes set as Custom, Text, and others to see if that was causing the problem, but still the same results. How can I get the zip + 4 to display correctly in the Pub merge? Thanks much for your help. Try inserting an apostrophe before the figures in Excel. This tells Excel that the cell contains text. Does this work for you? -- Rae Drysdale "ladyt...

linking #4

Excel and gridline
When I print out my excel sheet, some of my gridline are missing. How do i restore them? By default no gridlines are printed. Use File|Page Setup; open the Sheet tab and check the box got gridlines best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "libtech3" <libtech3@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FF3DD74D-6C00-4965-AB1F-31262DC82CB4@microsoft.com... > When I print out my excel sheet, some of my gridline are missing. How do > i > restore them? ...

Problem Downloading Money Plus Deluxe
Hi All, Just got a new dell computer, transferred all data from my old computer and then tried to buy and download Money Plus Deluxe. It took about 35 minutes to download, then the download screen went away when it was finished but the program did not start. I downloaded again, but still nothing. I tried downloading several more times and did not even get it to download and then it said I reached my maximum download limit. I have done searches all over my computer for money, money plus and money plus deluxe and can not find the file anywhere. It should be in the temporary internet ...

Can I insert Auto Text of Last Updated in Excel 2003?
Can i do the above on a sheet or in a Header/Footer? Using a macro yes http://tinyurl.com/4d4of -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please, for everyone's benefit keep the discussion in the newsgroup/forum) "jess_steven" <jess_steven@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BC065FC2-1B52-40D0-BB3E-04DDE7872268@microsoft.com... > Can i do the above on a sheet or in a Header/Footer? ...

Linked Forms

Links not linking

Right-Click in Excel 2002
My right mouse button is set to "select" a cell. How can I change it to bring up the menu that allows me to "delete" "insert" rows/columns? I was accustomed to this feature in my previous version of Excel. Just in Excel, or in all applications? Look at Start, Settings, Control Panel, double-click Mouse, and change settings there as appropriate (like possibly you have button configuration set to "left-handed." Change to "right-handed.") MRO "gambersh" <hivre@excite.com> wrote in message news:04d301c381fa$c4b72590$a301280...

Excel 2003- Tabbing to a specific location in a cell
I have created a template and I want to be able to fill in parts of the template by just tabbing and the cursor to move to the next cell...and to a specific area in the cell...how do i set up my template to do this? THanks so much unlock the cells you want to tab to. leave the other cells protected. then protected the sheet. -- Gary Keramidas Excel 2003 "monty the magician" <monty the magician@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FD3728D8-E730-407E-B58A-FED2C6D9EA8A@microsoft.com... >I have created a template and I want to be able to f...

OWA Shared Calendar problem
When a new recurring apponiment is added to a shared calendar, it is not visible in OWA. New single events display. Any ideas? ...

Linked Table Manager in ACCESS

Problem to load .fnt fonts
Hi, I am developing a WYSIWIG editor using .fnt fonts that I created in order to meet our product requirements. I am working on XP. Instead of putting the ..fnt fonts in the windir\fonts directory, I used the AddFontResource method to load them when the application starts. On XP and W2000, I have not problem and the RichEdit control that I am using recognizes the font. On W95/98/Me the AddFontResource doesn't work and the application failed. I tried to put directly the .fnt fonts in the windir\fonts but it failed. It seems that it only accepts .fon fonts. Even if I load this type of...

Adding a control line to excel chart without showing up in the leg
How can I add a control line, (such as average, ucl, lcl), to an excel bar or line chart and not have the control line series show up in the chart legend, or data table? Any sugestions would be greatly appreciated. -- thanks tweaver On Sat, 15 Sep 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, TWeaver <TWeaver@discussions.microsoft.com> said: >How can I add a control line, (such as average, ucl, lcl), to an excel bar or >line chart and not have the control line series show up in the chart legend, >or data table? Single-click twice on the legend entry for the control line, and ...

Weird Oulook problem
I am using Outlook 2007 and have been ever since it came out. Now all of a sudden when I hit new to compose a message or reply to reply the font in the body of the mail is real tiny.The ribbon says I am set at Calibri 11. Any ideas, I don't think I changed any settings. Check your zoom settings, its on the format text tab. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Outlook Tips by email: dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and E...

Link To A Cell From Chart

Adding a new Required field
Can i add a new field to my table such that i enforce a Required condition on it? I cant do this in the table design cos the field will be blank till date. Only the records henceforth should have a mandatory entry in this field. Is there a way i can set this up in the Form?ThanksRamesh Thanks .. that helped. I need to use it only on fields which should not go without data.Ramesh"Wayne-I-M" <WayneIM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3680E488-4ED6-4EC7-966D-9504717B4BEE@microsoft.com...> Hi Ramesh>> You could use a messages box to tell users that they...

Training in Excel
Has anyone received their training from a Global Knowledge, Inc. Excel training course. If not, do you have an e-mail address for a contact at Global Knowledge that has been responsive to you. I have a question about a Global Knowledge, Inc. Excel exercise and will require the files supplied with the course for the answer. A cell is not responding as it should and I want to know if it is due to a default or an error in formatting the cell or precedent. Any help anyone could provide would be of value to me. Product version is 2003. Thanks in advance. -- Effie I don't know any...

Excel 97 tabs
Is there a way to change the fonts and/or background colors on the Excel 97 file tabs? No This was established in Excel XP "SS" <ssriding1@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:00e601c36c01$31cea820$a601280a@phx.gbl... : Is there a way to change the fonts and/or background : colors on the Excel 97 file tabs? : ...

problem carrying over values
I have one form that has a button I''ll call it form1. The button looks at a text box for an ID and if its null it opens form2 and creates a new record in form2. If the text box is NOT null, it will go find the ID that's in the text box and filter it in form2. When the new record is created in form2, I need the ID to be put into the NULL text box in form1. I know how to do this however, if you open form2 on its own, then the error msg comes up that it can't find form1. I know why I'm getting this error, but don't know the fix for it. Is there a work around? Thanks...