Link table field format puzzle

I have one issue that doesn't make sense. Maybe some expert could help.

I have one table in MS SQL (2005), there are two fields.

GrossCost  Numeric(15,2)
NetCost Numeric(15,2)

When I did an ODBC link table inside MS Access XP, the format of the two
fields are different. For example, GrossCost will show 16.00 and NetCost will
show 16 I open the link table in design view and find out the GrossCost's
[format] property are set to 'Fixed' while the NetCost's [format] property
are blank. Why Access treat the two fields differently if they have exact the
same format on SQL side? Anywhere I can setup on the MS SQL side to affect
the [format] property on Access side?

Thanks for any insights!
access 16762 articles. 2 followers. Follow

On Fri, 4 Jun 2010 13:08:00 -0700, Han <Han@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

No you can't. Numeric is a data type that is poorly supported in
Access. It knows about real and double much better. Do you have the
option of changing to one of those?
When you attach a table Access may inspect the first couple of rows to
see what format to use. Depending on what it sees it may set the
format property differently.
However not all is lost. When you use this data in a form or report
you are free to set the format any way you want.

-Tom.
Microsoft Access MVP

>I have one issue that doesn't make sense. Maybe some expert could help.
>
>I have one table in MS SQL (2005), there are two fields.
>
>GrossCost  Numeric(15,2)
>NetCost Numeric(15,2)
>
>When I did an ODBC link table inside MS Access XP, the format of the two
>fields are different. For example, GrossCost will show 16.00 and NetCost will
>show 16 I open the link table in design view and find out the GrossCost's
>[format] property are set to 'Fixed' while the NetCost's [format] property
>are blank. Why Access treat the two fields differently if they have exact the
>same format on SQL side? Anywhere I can setup on the MS SQL side to affect
>the [format] property on Access side?
>
>Thanks for any insights!
0
Tom

Change link between form and subform

match a subform field value to a field in a 2nd subform
I have a main form named user_Match. It has three subform containers: sub_BUSays with source object form named sub_match_BUSays sub_RptSays with source object form named sub_match_ReportSays sub_BTSays with source object form named sub_match_BTSays sub_match_BUSays has a field called BU_BT_Portfolio_ID. sub_match_ReportSays has a field called MRE_PortfolioID. sub_match_BTSays has a field called BT_Portfolio_ID. The portfolio id is a unique 10 digit number stored as a string. I want to use the parent form to identify incorrect portfolio id's in the BUSays and ReportSays subforms. I wou...

Format Cell as True/False
OK. It's been a while but I could've sworn that I once was able to format a cell as a yes/no so that it appeared as a checkbox in the spreadsheet. Is this possible or have I confused it with another application. ~Lori Sounds like you are remembering Access database tables. Lori wrote: > OK. It's been a while but I could've sworn that I once was able to format a > cell as a yes/no so that it appeared as a checkbox in the spreadsheet. > > Is this possible or have I confused it with another application. > > ~Lori This is a multi-part message in MIME ...

Linked Forms

Transforming Table into Matrix
Hi there, I hope you can help me. _*DATA_I_HAVE:*_ *Table * of *3 columns*: -column 1-: up to 60.000 terms -column 2:- up to 60.000 terms (mostly the same as in column 1; jus different order (column 1 and 2 are representing a connotation) -column 3-: weighting of connotation _*AIM:*_ In order to conduct a better evaluation of the data (connotations) need to *transform * the *Table-Sheet * into a *Matrix*, - having 2 coordinates: 1 coordinate representing column 1, on representing column 2 and - filled data (crossing of the terms) representing the weighting of th connotation(s) _*QUESTIO...

How to insert a new field which is not currently in CRM's db
How to insert a new field which is not currently in CRM's db ? KC KC, The implementation guide covers this extensivlely, but you basically do this via the Deployment manger from the CRM app server. Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM ---------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------- On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 14:57:06 -0700, "KC" <kclai@addonsolutions.com.sg> wrote: How to insert a new field which is not currently in CRM's db ? KC ...

change default date format
Is there a way to change the default date format in Excel from the "short date" to a "long date" format permanently. Rightclick on the cell you want to change Format Cells - under the Number tab - Catagory - Date Then just choose the date style you want -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

linking #4

Links not linking

Linked Table Manager in ACCESS

Link To A Cell From Chart

Adding a new Required field
Can i add a new field to my table such that i enforce a Required condition on it? I cant do this in the table design cos the field will be blank till date. Only the records henceforth should have a mandatory entry in this field. Is there a way i can set this up in the Form?ThanksRamesh Thanks .. that helped. I need to use it only on fields which should not go without data.Ramesh"Wayne-I-M" <WayneIM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3680E488-4ED6-4EC7-966D-9504717B4BEE@microsoft.com...> Hi Ramesh>> You could use a messages box to tell users that they...

links

Populate other fields from a lookup attribute
Contents: - I have an Entity B with a relationship to Entity A. - Entity B has a many-to-1 relationship to Entity A, with lookup attribute to Entity A's [Machine Name]. - Entity A has 2 fields: [Machine Name] and [Machine Description]. Scenario: When I create a new Entity B, I will click on the lookup attribute to Entity A. A window will pop-out for me to choose one instancec of Entity A. When I have clicked the desired [Machine Name] value. The lookup attribute will now show the [Machine Name] value I selected. Question: I also want to capture its corresponding [Machine Description]...

passing custom field from lead to account on conversion
We are using CRM 3.0. We have a custom text field in our lead form/entity which we would like copied to a similar custom field in the account form/entity when a Lead is converted into an Account, Contact, Opportunity. Would someone be able to explain how to do this? Many thanks You need to add a mapping on the relationship between Lead and the other objects. This is done through the customization. Open the lead, then got o the relationships tab, find the one tied to the right objet and edit it. The mappings are on the relationship. -- Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM "DMcL&q...

Linked Tables Over A LAN

2 Axis Pivot Table Based Chart Problem
Hi, I have a Pivot Table with 6 data types. 1 has a wide scale, say 1 - 100,000. The other 5 data types have a scale that is narrow, say 1 - 20. After I create the Pivot Chart from the Pivot Table and choose a "Line - Column on 2 Axes" type chart, Excel assigns the first 3 data types to the scale on the left (which happens to be the small scale) and the other 3 data types to the large scale, even though 2 of those last 3 are small scale data types. So, the result is 2 data series displaying as if they are zero, because their values are things like 3, 7, 11, 0.5, yet Excel has fo...

Links

Modify pivot table report
I am sent an xls that includes a worksheet that is a pivot table. There are a couple combo boxes in the first row (e.g., Date, Year) that if I were able to connect to the external data source would allow requerying of the pivot table. I don't need to do that. I just need that data as it is but I would like to delete the combo boxes from the worksheet. I am prevented from doing that (msg: you cannot change or modify a pivot table report). I can cut the data and paste it into another spreadsheet, however. I'd rather be able to modify the original worksheet (delete the first row with ...

Custom Formatting for Dates
Is there a manner of formatting to see date as Text?, if entered in same cell. Think that is what I need. Using custom formatting: yymmdd and making column narrow, so just see dd (with right justify). Problem is that going from text to date format, just see ## is there way to make yymmdd in custom to conform to text??? Thanks a1 11/2/05 b1 =TEXT(A1,"yymmdd") you will get b1 051102 ==================== "nastech" <nastech@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:89817178-868E-4E3C-9946-6A1E93B0080F@microsoft.com... > Is there a man...

Data Tables
Question for you, please: In the past, if I wanted to use an EXCEL data table, I was sure that the "row input" and "column input" cells needed to have values in them. It needed to be, for example, 3, not even =3, since the latter is a formula. That made sense to me because you are asking EXCEL to give you some other cell's result with different values for this "input" cell. Recently, I replaced such an input with a formula and, to my surprise, the data table results did not change and it seems to work anyway, which kind of blows me away. You would think t...

Pivot table and running total #2
I have a table with Columns: Region, Client, Date, and quantity. Using a pivot table I want to see per Region the quantity each Clients bought or sold. The problem I have is I can't figure out how to view a running total per region. You can view at this URL "http://members.freemail.ch/paulg/pivottable.gif" a picture of how I would want to see it (in yellow) and the table it comes from. Actual data has at least 20 different regions and 60 or so clients. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks ...

email links in Publisher pdf

cell formats #4
Hi, is there a way to change a cell format based on another cells formats? e.g. I have colour coded processed data in one sheet and the original data in a separate sheet. Hence the value in cell sheet1!G3 was derived from the value of cell sheet2! G3. I basically want a conditional format which sets formats of cell sheet1!G3 equal to the format of sell sheet2!G3. Thanks in advance Pete Hi Pete this is IMHO nearly impossible. E.g. a format change does not trigger the worksheet_change event. therefore also a event procedure won't work in all circumstances (only if the value is chan...

conditional formatting dependent on cells not next to eachother...
I want to apply conditional formatting, but I can't figure out th formula. I have a row that contains 3 criteria I need in order to color the row but the 3 criteria are not the same type of cell. (1 cell is a Yes o No, and the other 2 are dates.) J3 must be a Y or N K is text L is text M is a date N is a date O is a date P is a date Q is a date R is a date Here is my criteria: J3 must be Y, N3 or P3 must have an entry, and R3 must have an entry. If all of these criteria meet, then turn the row the color. Thank you for any and all help you could provide. Angel -------------------...