Let's pick a replacement for this (Access) newsgroup

Folks have recommended various sites to replace this (Access) newsgroup for
when poor-listener Microsoft drops it.

Why don't we pick a replacement to give it the "critical mass" to fully
replace this one?    If interested, please respond to this with your
recommendation.

Also, if you feel like it, in case this goes dead, send me an email with
your email address at   North9000   at gmail dot com   and I'll try to
collect / send out the news/results.  (via blind cc)

I did / will be duplicating  this in database design, general and new user
Access groups.

access 16762 articles. 2 followers. Follow

USENET newsgroup comp.databases.ms-access (CDMA) has been around longer than
the Microsoft-sponsored newsgroups (Microsoft was still using CompuServe
forums when CDMA was approved).  At least one member of the Big-8 Management
Board has indicated he will try to expedite formation of new USENET groups,
if needed.  But, the single CDMA newsgroup has worked well... quite a lot of
present and past Microsoft MVPs for Access have indicated they will be
monitoring that group and answering questions.

I see you are posting from Microsoft's online interface... many of the
people who answer questions contend that every online interface they have
seen / used is clumsier, less-effective, prevents working offline, and has
many other drawbacks -- if they were interested in spending more time and
effort to help others, they could just suppress their distaste and use the
clumsy, online, less-effective online forums that Microsoft has proposed.

I agree with that online UI to Q&A is less-effective. Because my ISP dropped
newsgroup support, I have signed up with a news server service -- the one
I'm using is inexpensive, but not free, however there are free news servers
that get good reports. I'm posting right now using that service to
newsgroups that Microsoft has officially dropped, but other servers are not
dropping, so will continue to be useful if you'll get a news server and a
news reader. Outlook Express will work, and there are many free and for-fee
news readers with additional capability.

You will not be able to use the Microsoft online UI with the newsgroups, but
it has had unfixed bugs for months, perhaps years, so is even less useful
now than it once was.

--
Larry Linson, Microsoft Office Access MVP
Co-author: "Microsoft Access Small Business Solutions", published by Wiley

"Fred" <Fred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Folks have recommended various sites to replace this (Access) newsgroup
> for
> when poor-listener Microsoft drops it.
>
> Why don't we pick a replacement to give it the "critical mass" to fully
> replace this one?    If interested, please respond to this with your
> recommendation.
>
> Also, if you feel like it, in case this goes dead, send me an email with
> your email address at   North9000   at gmail dot com   and I'll try to
> collect / send out the news/results.  (via blind cc)
>
> I did / will be duplicating  this in database design, general and new user
> Access groups.

0
Access
6/1/2010 3:32:38 PM
Thanks for the info and recommendation.

The experts have been focusing on the technical aspects (news group vs web
interface) but I think that what's more key is an Access-focused
forum/newsgroup,  with some subdivisions, and knowing that most people that
are asking a question will need a web site / web interface.

Sincerely,

Fred

=?Utf-8?B?RnJlZA==?= <Fred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

> Thanks for the info and recommendation.
>
> The experts have been focusing on the technical aspects (news
> group vs web interface) but I think that what's more key is an
> Access-focused forum/newsgroup,  with some subdivisions, and
> knowing that most people that are asking a question will need a
> web site / web interface.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Fred

Nobody NEEDS a web-based interface. Outlook, Eudora, Opera all do nntp.

There are reams of NNTP clients out there, many free.

0
Bob
6/1/2010 9:07:24 PM
=?Utf-8?B?RnJlZA==?= <Fred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

> The experts have been focusing on the technical aspects (news
> group vs web interface) but I think that what's more key is an
> Access-focused forum/newsgroup,  with some subdivisions, and
> knowing that most people that are asking a question will need a
> web site / web interface.

I vote for a single newsgroup with no subdivisions at all.

David
6/1/2010 9:26:27 PM
"Bob Quintal <rquintal@sPAmpatico.ca> wrote in message
> =?Utf-8?B?RnJlZA==?= <Fred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>
>> Thanks for the info and recommendation.
>>
>> The experts have been focusing on the technical aspects (news
>> group vs web interface) but I think that what's more key is an
>> Access-focused forum/newsgroup,  with some subdivisions, and
>> knowing that most people that are asking a question will need a
>> web site / web interface.
>>
>> Sincerely,
>>
>> Fred
>
> Nobody NEEDS a web-based interface. Outlook, Eudora, Opera all do nntp.
>
> There are reams of NNTP clients out there, many free.

Right, but the stated intention is that this NNTP server is to be shut down.

Unfortunately, the two groups created for access, one is on MSDN (Microsoft
Developer network). This one is separate, not tossed in with any other
product. It for sure setup around developers and is on the developer
network, and if you are a part of the developer network then this group is
for you. There is also a NNTP bridge available. That group is here:

Access for Developers
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/accessdev/threads

the above hierarchy is:

Office Developer Center >
    Microsoft Office for Developers Forums >
            Access for Developers

If you are more consumer, and not such a hard core access developer with
general questions, the group is here:

msAnswers.
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/addbuz/threads

I agree with David's comments here that splitting this up is not ideal.
However, many complained and many wanted a section devoted to developers and
thus a group been created on the Microsoft developer network right in the
middle of the developer network and area. So, for the real developers they
been given a area.

I actually think that for many, they would shy away from jumping into the
MSDN developer area to ask most basic questions about access.

I personally would prefer everything stay under msAnswers, but there is a
developer oriented forum for access now that encourages questions of
technical and programming nature if that is your cup of tea.

While I don't think the msAnswers forum works very well with NNTP, the MSDN
one is separate for access, and thus for the NNTP crowd, that should work
quite well with the bridge.

However, my spider sense thinks this group just might stay open awhile
longer then the deadline of today....

--
Albert D. Kallal    (Access MVP)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

0
Albert
6/1/2010 10:31:42 PM
"David W. Fenton" <XXXusenet@dfenton.com.invalid> wrote in message
> =?Utf-8?B?RnJlZA==?= <Fred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>
>> The experts have been focusing on the technical aspects (news
>> group vs web interface) but I think that what's more key is an
>> Access-focused forum/newsgroup,  with some subdivisions, and
>> knowing that most people that are asking a question will need a
>> web site / web interface.
>
> I vote for a single newsgroup with no subdivisions at all.
>
> --
> David W. Fenton                  http://www.dfenton.com/
> usenet at dfenton dot com    http://www.dfenton.com/DFA/

No, "Access", "Forms", "Formscoding" and "Reports" are the four
sub-divisions that have served us well. And, as Bob posted, there
are many NNTP servers out there, that as far as I've been able to
determine, have no intention of dropping the Microsoft.Public.*
newsgroups.

Bill

0
Bill
6/1/2010 10:49:28 PM
I could quibble with your selection of the 4 groups, but the main
thing you missed is "queries". microsoft.public.queries is a fairly
busy group, carrying mostly stuff not handled in the other groups.

(david)

"Bill" <mlharding@jps.net> wrote in message

> "David W. Fenton" <XXXusenet@dfenton.com.invalid> wrote in message
>> =?Utf-8?B?RnJlZA==?= <Fred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>>
>>> The experts have been focusing on the technical aspects (news
>>> group vs web interface) but I think that what's more key is an
>>> Access-focused forum/newsgroup,  with some subdivisions, and
>>> knowing that most people that are asking a question will need a
>>> web site / web interface.
>>
>> I vote for a single newsgroup with no subdivisions at all.
>>
>> --
>> David W. Fenton                  http://www.dfenton.com/
>> usenet at dfenton dot com    http://www.dfenton.com/DFA/
>
> No, "Access", "Forms", "Formscoding" and "Reports" are the four
> sub-divisions that have served us well. And, as Bob posted, there
> are many NNTP servers out there, that as far as I've been able to
> determine, have no intention of dropping the Microsoft.Public.*
> newsgroups.
>
> Bill

0
david
6/2/2010 3:32:45 AM
Good point. I don't often have difficulties with queries
and completely forgot how important the NG is to those
that might encounter trouble from time to time. Funny
too, as I recently shot a hole in my foot forgetting that
Union queries are not updatable.
Bill

"david" <david@nospam.au> wrote in message
>I could quibble with your selection of the 4 groups, but the main
> thing you missed is "queries". microsoft.public.queries is a fairly
> busy group, carrying mostly stuff not handled in the other groups.
>
> (david)
>

> "Bill" <mlharding@jps.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "David W. Fenton" <XXXusenet@dfenton.com.invalid> wrote in message
>>> =?Utf-8?B?RnJlZA==?= <Fred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

>>> I vote for a single newsgroup with no subdivisions at all.
>>>
>>> --
>>> David W. Fenton                  http://www.dfenton.com/
>>> usenet at dfenton dot com    http://www.dfenton.com/DFA/
>>
>> No, "Access", "Forms", "Formscoding" and "Reports" are the four
>> sub-divisions that have served us well. And, as Bob posted, there
>> are many NNTP servers out there, that as far as I've been able to
>> determine, have no intention of dropping the Microsoft.Public.*
>> newsgroups.
>>
>> Bill

0
Bill
6/2/2010 5:47:08 AM
I think that I am confused on what "newsgroup" means with regard to the
termination notices.  Could somebody enlighten me?   As far as I understand
it, there are two definitions of "newsgroups" at work here:

1.  The Microsoft  name for the question and answer area which is nicely
organized with a section for Access, and functionally defined subsections.

2.  A  technical way of accessing #1 (which I don't understand) which
involves a method other than the Microsoft web interface.

Are they shutting down #1, #2 or both?

#3. For quite a few years now, Microsoft has been running a number of news
servers with the address msnews.microsoft.com. On those servers, there are a
number of NNTP newsgroups with a high level of microsoft.public.*.

Microsoft also has a web interface to interact with those newsgroups. In
actual fact, the web interface is a relatively new thing: for years,
Microsoft simply had the news servers and you had to use a news reader to
interact with the forums.

They're turning off the servers, and shutting down their web interface.

However, since they're NNTP newsgroups, they're propagated to hundreds of
other servers, and it's extremely doubtful that those other servers are
going away.

So as long as you have a newsgroup reader and the ability to log onto one of
the many other servers that carry the groups, they're not really going away.

The issue is that since Microsoft is making it so much harder, we expect the
volume of posts to decrease significantly.

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://www.AccessMVP.com/DJSteele

>I think that I am confused on what "newsgroup" means with regard to the
> termination notices.  Could somebody enlighten me?   As far as I
> understand
> it, there are two definitions of "newsgroups" at work here:
>
> 1.  The Microsoft  name for the question and answer area which is nicely
> organized with a section for Access, and functionally defined subsections.
>
> 2.  A  technical way of accessing #1 (which I don't understand) which
> involves a method other than the Microsoft web interface.
>
> Are they shutting down #1, #2 or both?

0
Douglas
6/2/2010 1:22:12 PM
So I can continue using http://groups.google.com to correct your
misinformation?

On Jun 2, 6:22=A0am, "Douglas J. Steele"
<NOSPAM_djsteele@NOSPAM_gmail.com> wrote:
> #3. For quite a few years now, Microsoft has been running a number of new=
> servers with the address msnews.microsoft.com. On those servers, there ar=
e a
> number of NNTP newsgroups with a high level of microsoft.public.*.
>
> Microsoft also has a web interface to interact with those newsgroups. In
> actual fact, the web interface is a relatively new thing: for years,
> Microsoft simply had the news servers and you had to use a news reader to
> interact with the forums.
>
> They're turning off the servers, and shutting down their web interface.
>
> However, since they're NNTP newsgroups, they're propagated to hundreds of
> other servers, and it's extremely doubtful that those other servers are
> going away.
>
> So as long as you have a newsgroup reader and the ability to log onto one=
 of
> the many other servers that carry the groups, they're not really going aw=
ay.

> The issue is that since Microsoft is making it so much harder, we expect =
the
> volume of posts to decrease significantly.
>
> --
> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVPhttp://www.AccessMVP.com/DJSteele
> Co-author: Access 2010 Solutions, published by Wiley
> (no e-mails, please!)
>
> "Fred" <F...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >I think that I am confused on what "newsgroup" means with regard to the
> > termination notices. =A0Could somebody enlighten me? =A0 As far as I
> > understand
> > it, there are two definitions of "newsgroups" at work here:
>
> > 1. =A0The Microsoft =A0name for the question and answer area which is n=
icely
> > organized with a section for Access, and functionally defined subsectio=
ns.

> > 2. =A0A =A0technical way of accessing #1 (which I don't understand) whi=
ch
> > involves a method other than the Microsoft web interface.
>
> > Are they shutting down #1, #2 or both?

No, Aaron. You really are not able to correct misinformation, other than
your own, of course.

But even that would assume you know the difference, the probability of which
seems to run less than 50% .

George

"a a r o n _ k e m p f" <aaron_kempf@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
> So I can continue using http://groups.google.com to correct your
> misinformation?

0
GP
6/2/2010 7:39:16 PM
Doug,

Thanks for the information.

"Bill" <mlharding@jps.net> wrote in

> "David W. Fenton" <XXXusenet@dfenton.com.invalid> wrote in message
>> =?Utf-8?B?RnJlZA==?= <Fred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>>
>>> The experts have been focusing on the technical aspects (news
>>> group vs web interface) but I think that what's more key is an
>>> Access-focused forum/newsgroup,  with some subdivisions, and
>>> knowing that most people that are asking a question will need a
>>> web site / web interface.
>>
>> I vote for a single newsgroup with no subdivisions at all.
>
> No,

No to what? No I didn't vote? Or you disagree? If so, say that you
have a different opinion, rather than implying that mine is wrong.

> "Access", "Forms", "Formscoding" and "Reports" are the four
> sub-divisions that have served us well. And, as Bob posted, there
> are many NNTP servers out there, that as far as I've been able to
> determine, have no intention of dropping the Microsoft.Public.*
> newsgroups.

I disagree that the subdivision has "served us well."

David
6/3/2010 12:48:56 AM
=?Utf-8?B?RnJlZA==?= <Fred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

> I think that I am confused on what "newsgroup" means with regard
> to the termination notices.

Microsoft has been using an open technology, NNTP, over which it has
no control, to distribute its content beyond its own news server.
Read the  Wikipedia articles on Usenet and NNTP to understand just
how foolish it is of MS to think they can close down the
microsoft.public newsgroups just by closing their own news server.

David
6/3/2010 12:51:32 AM
"GP George" <george_hepworth@hotmail.com> wrote

 > No, Aaron. You really are not able to correct
 > misinformation, other than your own, of course.
 >
 > But even that would assume you know the
 > difference, the probability of which
 > seems to run less than 50% .
 >
 > George

By George, George, I believe you have him pegged! It is getting wearisome
that some one of us has to correct Mr. Kempf's claims and misinformation
every time he posts.

0
Access
6/3/2010 1:28:48 AM
What I meant by "No" was simply that I didn't agree with
having a single NG that covered all aspects Access
development. I have found it meaningful to categorize the
NG threads with some specific focus.
Bill

> "Bill" <mlharding@jps.net> wrote in
>

>> "David W. Fenton" <XXXusenet@dfenton.com.invalid> wrote in message
>>> =?Utf-8?B?RnJlZA==?= <Fred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

>>> I vote for a single newsgroup with no subdivisions at all.
>>
>> No,
>
> No to what? No I didn't vote? Or you disagree? If so, say that you
> have a different opinion, rather than implying that mine is wrong.
>
>> "Access", "Forms", "Formscoding" and "Reports" are the four
>> sub-divisions that have served us well. And, as Bob posted, there
>> are many NNTP servers out there, that as far as I've been able to
>> determine, have no intention of dropping the Microsoft.Public.*
>> newsgroups.
>
> I disagree that the subdivision has "served us well."
>
> --
> David W. Fenton                  http://www.dfenton.com/
> usenet at dfenton dot com    http://www.dfenton.com/DFA/

0
Bill
6/3/2010 2:34:29 AM
I'm afraid that my initial proposal/question was confusing, particularly due
to my lack of understanding of the technology side of newsgroups.

By "single" I didn't mean eliminate categories.  I meant a single "place"
for people to go.  I consider the current structure here to be idea.

Given that  90% of mere mortals (myself included) don't use or know how to
use newsgroup technology, I think that any viable replacement will need  to
be a web site or accessible via a web site,  Any ideas before we "go dark?"

Have a look at the general characteristics of NNTP servers as
described within Usenet, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet).

Those of us that DO NOT use web-based forums rely on
the availability of Microsoft.Public.Access.* NG's being peered
across the many NNTP servers around the globe.

Bill

> I'm afraid that my initial proposal/question was confusing, particularly
> due
> to my lack of understanding of the technology side of newsgroups.
>
> By "single" I didn't mean eliminate categories.  I meant a single "place"
> for people to go.  I consider the current structure here to be idea.
>
> Given that  90% of mere mortals (myself included) don't use or know how to
> use newsgroup technology, I think that any viable replacement will need
> be a web site or accessible via a web site,  Any ideas before we "go
> dark?"

0
Bill
6/3/2010 3:11:56 PM

> Those of us that DO NOT use web-based forums rely on
> the availability of Microsoft.Public.Access.* NG's being peered
> across the many NNTP servers around the globe.

Well, for now, as of June 3rd, msnews.microsoft.com is still there,
and it's accepting posts. I even posted just now from
msnews.microsoft.com in a newsgroup that was supposed to have been
"closed" on June 1st (microsoft.public.access.replication).

So, it's not clear to me what Microsoft meant with all their
messages about closing things down.

David
6/3/2010 5:15:30 PM
David,

Microsoft only intends to shut down their ONE NNTP server,
msnews.microsoft.com. Obviously, they've got more important
things to do, as that server is still up.

All the rest of the many many NNTP servers around the globe
will likely continue to host the Microsoft.Public.* news groups,
as Microsoft has no inherent authority to delete those news
groups. (It's possible they could try, but I seriously doubt that
the NNTP server administrators would honor their commands
to remove the groups.)

Bill

> "Bill" <mlharding@jps.net> wrote in
>
>> Those of us that DO NOT use web-based forums rely on
>> the availability of Microsoft.Public.Access.* NG's being peered
>> across the many NNTP servers around the globe.
>
> Well, for now, as of June 3rd, msnews.microsoft.com is still there,
> and it's accepting posts. I even posted just now from
> msnews.microsoft.com in a newsgroup that was supposed to have been
> "closed" on June 1st (microsoft.public.access.replication).
>
> So, it's not clear to me what Microsoft meant with all their
> messages about closing things down.
>
> --
> David W. Fenton                  http://www.dfenton.com/
> usenet at dfenton dot com    http://www.dfenton.com/DFA/

0
Bill
6/3/2010 10:11:04 PM

> Microsoft only intends to shut down their ONE NNTP server,
> msnews.microsoft.com. Obviously, they've got more important
> things to do, as that server is still up.

....as opposed to what they said they would do...

> All the rest of the many many NNTP servers around the globe
> will likely continue to host the Microsoft.Public.* news groups,
> as Microsoft has no inherent authority to delete those news
> groups. (It's possible they could try, but I seriously doubt that
> the NNTP server administrators would honor their commands
> to remove the groups.)

Um, I'm very well aware of these facts, and have posted repeatedly
explaining them to others who've been in sky-is-falling mode.

My point is that what MS said would happen (the group would "close"
on June 1st) hasn't happened.

But it wouldn't matter if it had, of course.

David
6/4/2010 5:30:40 PM
A continuation of this is in a June 4th post in the "General Questions"
section.
Of what NG?

>A continuation of this is in a June 4th post in the "General Questions"
> section.

0
Bill
6/4/2010 11:43:45 PM
Please delete me from your messages
"David W. Fenton" <XXXusenet@dfenton.com.invalid> wrote in message
> "Bill" <mlharding@jps.net> wrote in
>
>> Those of us that DO NOT use web-based forums rely on
>> the availability of Microsoft.Public.Access.* NG's being peered
>> across the many NNTP servers around the globe.
>
> Well, for now, as of June 3rd, msnews.microsoft.com is still there,
> and it's accepting posts. I even posted just now from
> msnews.microsoft.com in a newsgroup that was supposed to have been
> "closed" on June 1st (microsoft.public.access.replication).
>
> So, it's not clear to me what Microsoft meant with all their
> messages about closing things down.
>
> --
> David W. Fenton                  http://www.dfenton.com/
> usenet at dfenton dot com    http://www.dfenton.com/DFA/

0
bobbie
6/5/2010 1:02:32 AM
"bobbie" <bscott007@comcast.net> wrote in

> Please delete me from your messages

Er, what?

David

Access doesn't see decimal point!
Hello, I have linked to an Oracle table using Access 2003. The Oracle table contains a PRICE field which has decimal data such as 15.50. When querying this data with Access, 1550 is displayed. The decimal point is missing! On my other computer which has Access 2002, 15.50 is correctly displayed. What could be the issue? Any info would be appreciated. Thank you, H I thought of that as well, but the regional settings are the same. English - Canada The strange thing is that the data being displayed by the Access query does have decimal places because when I do a query for (PRICE < 2.00...

Find and Replace
Could you please elaborate what is the function of Control Find and Replace. Especially when using it to replace a formula to a new coloum It find stated values and replaces them with your stated replacement. -- Regards Dave Hawley www.ozgrid.com "bio" <bio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A683A659-04C2-4D2B-B9CB-147D6291A8B5@microsoft.com... > Could you please elaborate what is the function of Control Find and > Replace. > Especially when using it to replace a formula to a new coloum ...

picking out matched data
I have 2 different sets of data each with 3 columns. I am going to place the 2 sets of data on Sheet 1 of a spreadsheet and Sheet 2 of a spreadsheet. The data in a row across the 3 columns pertains to each other. This is true for the data on each sheet. I need to take the data from sheet 1 and have it match up with any entries that exist on sheet 2, and have it show these matches on sheet 3. The problem is the data in sheet 1 and 2 are not exactly the same. On sheet 1 the data is: Customer Name, Transaction#, Acct#. On Sheet 2 the data is: Customer Name, Reference #, Acct#...

Problem writing to an "ini" file in Access 2007
I have been trying to use Access 2007 VBA to write values to an ini file. Here is my code: System.PrivateProfileString("OurInformation.ini", TypeOfData, VariableName) = VariableValue This works fine in Word 2007 but I keep getting a 429 error in Access ("ActiveX component can't create object"). Why can't I write and read from an ini file in Access when I can in Word? Should I be using some other code to write/read to an ini file? "LA Lawyer" <hkapp@kapplaw.com> wrote in message news:%23Mw9TQ21KHA.3868@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl......

Access 2003 and Sharepoint
My company is moving most of our files into Sharepoint -- however, it seems no one could explain how Sharepoint is going to affect our current Access database. Can someone please enlighten me regarding Sharepoint and how it will benefit us if our Access database is stored in it? Will it make accessing the database faster through our network? Right-now our database is stored in a network drive and depending on where we are located from the server -- it may take long to accesst the data. Or any sites that will help explain the process of Sharepoint. Thank you, Sharon You cannot store your A...

replace N/A by a blank
How do i replace a #N/A that I get sometimes in a Vlookup by A blank ? or the value if eveything is fine TKS One way: =IF(ISNA(MATCH(A1,Sheet2!A:A,FALSE)),"",VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!A:B,2,FALSE) In article <C7212BB1-1BC7-4546-ADFD-1985ED9AE697@microsoft.com>, yyy <yyy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > How do i replace a #N/A that I get sometimes in a Vlookup by A blank ? or > the value if eveything is fine > > TKS ...

Restricting Access to specific functions and overriding Lock recor
Hi, We have just implemented CRM 3.0 and things are going very well. However, I would like to restrict some of the functionality of the sales people in the team. I would like to disable the ability for them to assign records to themselves i.e. records created will automatically be assigned to the owner of the Company record? I have checked the security roles but cannot see how to do this? Also Is there a security setting that lets a user over ride locked records for example when a quote has been activated it cannot be changed, what if we want to change it can this be done? Thanks for ...

outlook web access cant reply to a message
i have a strange situation where i can use the same account from two different pcs and on one owa connection i can call up a message and hit reply and get a reply window, fill it in and send it. on the other machine i can hit reply and no window comes up and the message i am reading will go away. i can log on to the machine where the problem is under a different account and not have the problem with owa doing replies. i think it must be either outlook or ie related with that user's config on that machine. have you had this before? I was about to suggest that you look for a popu...

Find and Replace in Access 2007
I have address columns: 705 First St #5 804 Main St #16 I just want to remove the pound (#) signs. How do find/replace for just the #? I tried the Replace Function but it deletes the entire cell. I also tried the RemoveAlpha but I get an error saying its an undefined function. BACKUP DATABASE BACKUP DATABASE Try this -- Replace([YourField], Chr(35), "") -- Build a little, test a little. "lil lam" wrote: > I have address columns: > > 705 First St #5 > > 804 Main St #16 > > I just want to remove the ...

Recreate VLookup in MS Access 2003 Form Using DLookup.....
PLEASE!!! Don’t reply back and tell me to use DLookup() unless you also provide the coding I need as well. I have been trying for weeks to use DLookup() and cannot code the query properly and I am VERY frustrated. The MS Excel VLOOKUP query I am trying to recreate in MS Access 2003 is as follows: =IF(VLOOKUP(EG2,EH:EI,2,FALSE)=B2,"Good",VLOOKUP(EG2,EH:EI,2,FALSE)) Example "Config No": MTU0301-0010 Example "Concatenated Config No_4" data: 0020000100050001000100010001000200050001000100010003000200030001000200030001000100040004000200010001000...

Making pick list conditional on selection from previous pick list
I would like to know how to make a pick list (a "list" of names) conditional on what was picked in the previous column pick list (e.g. of the 4 main areas of a plant (pick list/ column A), there are anywhere from 3 to 5 sections within each main area. I would like to format/program the second pick list (coumn B) to only show the list of sections corresponding to the 'main area' selected in column A. Then I need to do this for a third pick list (specific equipment). If you have an example, it would be appreciated. Thank you. Hi Stewart, See Debra Dalgleish's Depend...

How do I change highlight colour in Find and Replace
This applies to Word 2007. I saw the previous answer from you Danish MVP, however when I go into the Find & Replace function, the Find item is highlighted in blue even thought the font highlight colour is yellow. The only time the Find item is highlighted in yellow is if the option 'Reading Highlight -> Highlight All' is selected. I would like to change the highlight colour only where there next Find item is selected, which is the default of the Find & Replace function. Thanks in advance, Charles As far as I know, you cannot customize the color that indicates...

Outlook97 can't access Exchange Server 5.0
Hi, When ever I try to go into the control panel and configure the mail option, I receive a "information store couldn't be open" error message. I've removed and reinstalled Outlook97 but still receive the same message. I've also installed client for Exchange with the same result. Workstation: Windows NT 4.0 w/office97 What would be the proper way to resolve the problem? Thanks! "Travis S." <stravis@hotmail.com> wrote: >When ever I try to go into the control panel and configure the mail option, >I receive a "information store couldn't...

HR Requisitions access
I am unable to give access applicant requisitions for the company, division, position and department fields. This same user is able to enter these fields on the employee maintenance card. I have tried everything I can think of in the security setup but can't get past this. We don't want this person to see any actual payroll information (wages, etc). Thank you for any help with this. Tracey D ...

"Word-like" table in Access Reports ?
I would like to create a "word-like" table in an Access word. That includes vertical and horizontal lines. Is there a way? Also, I need the text inside the table to be able to grow. I tried using the graphic lines between the text fields. The horizontal lines are fine, since the growing text fields moves those lines down. However, the vertical lines do not grow. I tried using a rectangle, thinking that perhaps as the text fields would "push-down" the lines the rectangle. However, that did not happen. Has anyone faced this problem? Thanks, Leif Maybe this wil...

Pick cell from chart
I am developing an estimating spreadsheet that calculates labor hours. I have built a separate 10 column and 6 row chart with info I want to pull into the estimating spreadsheet. The colums are labeled as "Difficulty Factors" and the rows are labeled as "Pipe Sizes". Each intersecting cell is a portion of a labor hour. The estimating sheet has 3 drop down lists. I want to build a IF AND statement that will select a intersecting cell in the chart if certain criteria from the drop down lists are true. There are 60 different cells in the chart. Is it necessary to write ...

Replace Date
Hi, I have a list of Customer IDs and delivery dates as Cust_ID Deliv_Date 1000 2/24/2010 1001 2/25/2010 1002 1/1/1998 1003 1/1/1998 1004 3/1/2010 1005 3/15/2010 Here, I am trying to query this table so that if Deliv_Date = 1/1/1998 then Deliv_Date = Null. My result should be something like this Cust_ID Deliv_Date 1000 2/24/2010 1001 2/25/2010 1002 1003 1004 3/1/2010 1005 3/15/2010 Can you please help me to query this result using Access query? Thank you, Sajan SELECT [Cust_Id], IIF([Deliv_Date]=#1/1/1998#,Null,[Deliv_Date]), ... -- Dorian "Give some...

Replace Number
I have over 400 entries in a colomn which start with 0015...and then more numbers. how can easily edit on mass so that they now begin with only 015 ??? cheers Hi, To get these leading zeroes there are 2 likely possibilities:- 1. The cells are formatted to show them so simply alter the format. or 2. The numbers are really text and I have assumed this is the case. So if the 'numbers' start in a1 put this in b1 and drag down =RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-1) Copy this new range and then select the 'old' range and Edit|Paste special - select values - OK delete t...

Access 2003
I was using this function with Access 2000 and it was working fine; however, I upgraded to Access 2003 and now it will not work. The Error message is "The object doesn't contain the Automation object "MaxValueVariantArray." You tried to run a VB procedure to set a property or method for an object. However, the component doesn't make the property or method available for automation operations. Can someone please assist. Thank you Option Compare Database Function MaxValueVariantArray(ParamArray ValuesArray() As Variant) As Variant ' ** THIS FUNCTION RETURNS...

Order Pick-Up When Out of Stock
If you have an item on order (Layaway/Back Order/Work Order) which has no On Hand quantity, you can still pick up the item. This causes the quantity to become a negative number, even though the "do not allow sale of items when out of stock" option is set. Either the order pick-up routine should be modified to respect this option, or there should be a new option for "do not allow pick-up of items when out of stock". ...

About Access
Hello Dear Sir/Madam I have email in Yahoo&hotmail Account but I like to put both of them in outlook how can do this please help me on that "Mojtaba Sahak" <Mojtaba Sahak@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:46D49CE8-C763-4A48-8E91-8EA56DAF061C@microsoft.com... > Hello Dear Sir/Madam > I have email in Yahoo&hotmail Account but I like to put both of them in > outlook how can do this please help me on that Yahoo.com mail will require you to have a paid-for account - for Hotmail you need to convert your Hotmail account to a Hotmail Live account ...

Impersonation and Custom Event Log
Hi, I have created a Custom Event Log. My ASP.NET application is impersonating a specific Windows Account that currently has no permissions on the web server, apart from Modify access to C:\WINDOWS \Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files. I cannot currently write to the event log. I am using the Logging Application Block. What is the best practice way of writing to the event log when using impersonation? I'd like to do this from within ASP.NET if possible and I want to avoid raising permissions as far as possible. Cheers, James ...

Find and replace new line character
I would like to find and replace a return character (or new line, or \n, or chr(10) -- take your pick) at the beginning of a field with an empty string "". I would really rather not have to write an update query or a script. Is there a way to enter special characters into the find & replace dialogue box? I would expect to be able to find "\n" and replace with "", matching "Start of Field" but that doesn't work. I'm using Access 2003. On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 17:50:00 -0800, mmapes <mmapes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: The F&...

Pie chart from access
I would like to know if there is a way for me to create a set of pie chart which get their source information from an access database set of queries (1 query per chart) and then update when the workbook is opened? If so, what is this called so I can google it specifically? Any good ressource that demonstrate the basics to bring me up to speed? Thank you, QB I don't believe you can link and Access table or query to an Excel spreadsheet. However, you could set up a routine to automatically export the Access table into Excel. Once the data was exported from the database, your Ex...

MS Access 2007, Vista, network performance
I have a Vista Ultimate machine running Access 2007; this hardware previously ran XP Pro with Access 2003. Now that I've upgraded, I've found that I can't use even small Access MDBs that are stored on a network share, while the same MDBs copied to local storage seem fine (although slower than I remember with the old setup). These MDBs are still in 2003-format, and don't seem to have any problem being opened on the same network with XP/Acc2003 or even XP/Acc2007. Clearly, I think my issues are Vista-related. Although I'd love someone to respond with "here's ...