keeping zeros

I use last digits of SS# for StuId. However, access deletes my zeros if the
number starts with a zero. How do I prevent that from happening?
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Make the field text, not numeric.

Realistically, since you're not going to be doing arithmetic with the value,
you don't need it to be a number.

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

"jkjmwilliams" <jkjmwilliams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I use last digits of SS# for StuId. However, access deletes my zeros if the
> number starts with a zero. How do I prevent that from happening?

0
Douglas
12/28/2007 11:53:16 PM
Or just change the Format property of the field to 0000. That way it will
always display leading zeroes.

> Make the field text, not numeric.
>
> Realistically, since you're not going to be doing arithmetic with the
> value, you don't need it to be a number.
>
> --
> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
> http://I.Am/DougSteele
> (no private e-mails, please)
>

> "jkjmwilliams" <jkjmwilliams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I use last digits of SS# for StuId. However, access deletes my zeros if
>>the
>> number starts with a zero. How do I prevent that from happening?

0
CMoya
12/28/2007 11:58:02 PM
thanks! why didn't I think of that!

"Douglas J. Steele" wrote:

> Make the field text, not numeric.
>
> Realistically, since you're not going to be doing arithmetic with the value,
> you don't need it to be a number.
>
> --
> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
> http://I.Am/DougSteele
> (no private e-mails, please)
>

> "jkjmwilliams" <jkjmwilliams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I use last digits of SS# for StuId. However, access deletes my zeros if the
> > number starts with a zero. How do I prevent that from happening?

Using 4 digits (characters) to serve as a unique studentID is risky ...
there are only 10,000 possible values to use, and there's no guarantee that
two individuals would not "share" the same last four characters of their
SSNs.

Good luck!

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Office/Access MVP

"jkjmwilliams" <jkjmwilliams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I use last digits of SS# for StuId. However, access deletes my zeros if the
> number starts with a zero. How do I prevent that from happening?

0
Jeff
12/29/2007 12:35:16 AM
As Jeff said, you shouldn't be using a 4 digit ID. We're used to entering the
last 4 digits of our SSN on various sites, but that's not an ID number; it's
simply being used to compare with the last 4 digits of the previously entered
ENTIRE 9 digit SSN.

Answers/posts based on Access 2000/2003

Linq

Outlook keeps prompting for logon..
User is on Outlook 2k3, latest service packs, updates, etc. Mailbox lives on Exchange 2007 (SP1). Everytime the user starts Outlook they're prompted to logon. I've disabled the logon prompt at startup option (and enabled it and then disabled it again), but it's still happening. I've tried it with cached mode on and cached mode off. I've tried it with offline mode enabled and disabled. I've tried deleting his profile and recreating it. I've tried switching to an RPC/HTTPS connection. Finally, i completely uninstalled Outlook 2k3 and installed Outlook 2k7. Not...

Help Old addresses keep coming up

Leading zero's while exporting to excel
Hi In the database, field is formatted is text and the data is account no 0101893672, while exporting the data through (Query >Report) to excel format leading zero is not visible in the excel sheet e.g 101893672. I need to have this zero visible in the excel format, how can i do that. Thanks in advance Ron Rony Before you export it, in a query, convert it to a string of characters. Leading zeros in number (real, actual, add-subtract-multiply-divide numbers) are dropped because they're meaningless. In your example, they aren't really numbers, but an identifier that happens...

Keep Lines Together; Keep with Next

Getting Rid of the Zero
Can anyone here tell me how I can get rid of the zero that is in front of the decimal. Example: Make 0.50 look like .50??? ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 19:02:29 -0400, yethela <yethela.uld6b@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote: >Can anyone here tell me how I can get rid of the zero that is in front >of the decimal. Example: Make 0.50 look like .50??? > > One method would be to use custom formatting. But since you ar...

why do my pictures keep disappearing?
Although I have checked the box in 'pictures' any form of graphic or word art that I have inserted into my publication keeps disappearing! If I click in the general direction of the insertion the bounding dots appear, but no picture Are you sure you have view, pictures, detailed display checked? If so try updating your graphics driver... -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "JG" <JG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:57E101AC-A758-400A-9269-3B68B754CA0E@microsoft.com... > Altho...

how can I keep a tab in place?
I have workbooks with multiple worksheets. I would like to keep the summary tab in a fixed (first) position so that the user can easily, quickly find it without using the l<, <, >, >l (arrow) tabs. I use hyperlinks to get from the summary tab to the other tabs, and I know I can hyperlink tab back... but I'd rather not use the hyperlinks too much. Tools - Protection - Protect workbook (for structure) Or, create a custom button/macro that navigates to the summary sheet. -- Best Regards, Luke M "missy8892" <missy8892@discussions.microsoft.com>...

Outlook 2003 keeps asking for password for POP3 account
I am running WinXP Pro and Office 2003. My Outlook 2003 keeps popping up intermittently a pop-up box requesting me to re-enter the POP3 account password. Now, there is nothing wrong with the password already entered (check box to save password), so all i am having to do is click OK, but it is really annoying. Does anyone know what i can do to stop Outlook from doing this? Thanks for your help. ...

How to suppress zeros
Hi, I have data that includes zero values. How do I stop these zero values being plotted on a chart? Thanks Jonathan Jonathan - You can replace the zeros by blanks, if they are not the result of a formula in the cell. This means clear the cell, select it and press Delete. "" won't do it, because it isn't a blank, it's a rather short text string. If the 0 is from a formula, replace it by NA(), which gives you the #N/A error in the worksheet. the formula will have to look like this: =IF(<something>=0,NA(),<something>) If the error values in the cells ...

How do I keep the home tool bar on top
An hour ago the home tool bar stoped being displayed. I can restore it but every time i hit a key the tool bar disapers. How do I keep the tool bar on top while I am typing. You've minimized the Ribbon. Double-click any tab on the Ribbon to restore it. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "RobertTaylor" <RobertTaylor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:081A95C4-76B9-47E2-A4E6-83A080233AD0@microsoft.com... > An hour ago the home tool bar stoped being displayed. I can rest...

How to keep userform always on the top of all windows application
Hi All!! Is there some that when I execute an excel user form, it *remains o the top * of all the windows applications that are currently running until & unless I, manually, minimize or close it. Regards, Jat -- JAtz_DA_WA ----------------------------------------------------------------------- JAtz_DA_WAY's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2668 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=40059 You may get an answer to your question--but it'll involve both making the userform always on top plus adding those minim...

ACC2003/2007: Unbound Form>Class Module
Looking for some input on best practices for dealing with unbound forms for manipulating data through class modules. Specifically, I am interested in the best practice for trapping nulls and empty strings. My latest version casts all variables in the class as variants and uses an Nz function prior to writing to the table. For Text fields, I am changing nulls to empty strings and for numeric fields, I am changing nulls to zeros. I am aware of several different approaches to this problem but am looking for some insight into what the "Best" solution is for this scenario. T...

skip cells with zero values in chart (cells not empty)
I don't want to display zeros in my line chart. The cells are not empty - they contain a formula. I have used a simple if statement to hide a zero value - however the chart is still showing the datapoint as zero. What does your IF statement produce? If it gives an empty string "", then it will be treated as zero. Change the "" to NA(). If you want to hide the NA() values in the worksheet, you can do that by conditional formatting. -- David Biddulph "jhall@ifox" <jhall@ifox@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3DFD839D-40AD-4696-B...

Hide row if dollar amount is zero
How do you hide a row if an amount on the row is zero? Can this be done for some rows and not others? Thanks Simplest way - put a filter (Data>Filter>Autofilter) on the column and filter a zero value. Some and not others? What determines? -- HTH Bob Phillips "Karl Irvin" <88karl3200@comcast.net> wrote in message news:3PudnWeu1MeY4ubfRVn-vg@comcast.com... > How do you hide a row if an amount on the row is zero? > > Can this be done for some rows and not others? > > Thanks > > Its for a financial statement Current Assets Cash 1 A/R ...

Keep it alive
Hello! Is it possible to declare an Access.Application object in a module of another db (let's call it db1), display the application window to the user interface and keep it alive even when db1 is closed? Because the database object is closed as soon as the memory used by db1 is released.. Thanks for any suggestion! Answered in another group where you posted this. ...

deposit to keep??
When you cancel a layaway and rms ask you if you want deposit to keep and you say ok, what happens to the money and where does that money go? and is there a way to turn off that button? ...

how to keep text with next paragraph
"Church Mouse" wrote: > What is the problem? Version? ...

keep or not keep SMTP log files?
Hi, I'm curious about what do you do with your SMTP lof files? How long do you keep your smtp lof files? Save them onto a tape media or external harddrive? Do you delete them after 6 months? Or don't keep them at all? I'm trying to get a general idea what administrators do to their smtp log files. Thanks and appreciate it. Ricky On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 13:01:04 -0700, Ricky T <RickyT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi, > >I'm curious about what do you do with your SMTP lof files? How long do you >keep your smtp lof files? Save them onto a tape medi...

Keeping Outlook on top?
I have, hopefully a simple question. When I click on a link (hypertext) how can I make outlook stay on top so I can read other messages until I am ready to go to my web browser and look at the page that was open? Thanks for any help!! SSDD "D" <D@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9E96DBF0-BABB-4E5C-8734-4A5D8695A71C@microsoft.com... >I have, hopefully a simple question. When I click on a link (hypertext) >how > can I make outlook stay on top so I can read other messages until I am > ready > to go to my web browser and look at the page that ...

keeping cell formatting
Hello, I have formatted an excel spreadsheet (changed cell widths and height etc...) I would like to retain this formatting when i copy this spreadsheet t other sheets. How can I do this? As it is now, I have to change each cell manually each time I copy th spreadsheet template to another sheet. Thanks in advance aladdi -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com I just experimented with this and as far as I can tell, Width is attached to the column and height attached to the row. So, if you want to copy and paste data and maitain cell width and height, you may have to select wh...

Adding zero's to a group of cells
Hello, I need to figure out a way to convert a group of cells from three digits to six. Essentially I want to take the numbers in the cells and multiply them by 1000. I do not however want to go into each cell and add the formula. I am creating a macro and this is the last piece of this. Essentially I am looking for an easy out. hi, how is this group of cell layed out? column? row? block? FSt1 "Desiree" wrote: > Hello, I need to figure out a way to convert a group of cells from three > digits to six. Essentially I want to take the numbers in the cells and > ...

tabs keep resetting
When ever I set new taps for a document when I close it and reopen it all my tabs are set back to 5. Is there a way to reset my default tabs to retain my 2 setting? You are likely thinking Publisher works just like Word. Well, not quite. But refer to this article - http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA011196811033.aspx?Query=default&Scope=TC%2cHP%2cHA%2cRC%2cFX%2cES%2cEP%2cDC%2cXT "katiekate" wrote: > When ever I set new taps for a document when I close it > and reopen it all my tabs are set back to 5. Is there a > way to reset my default tabs to re...

how to keep tables on one page automatically
An age old question but one which in my foolishness I though MS might have solved with Office 7. But how many of you have found the page which shows the links between old commands and new. I'd like to include it here but if I try to find it I will navigate away. Just about the only thing which can be said in MS's favor about Office 7 questions is that MS is better than Adobe. Otherwise the amount of time wasted is horrendous. If you're asking how to keep a table on one page, one way to do it is to select all but the last row and mark them "Keep With Next" in ...

Eliminating categories of zero values from X-axix #2
Hi , I have a range of sales data from 1 - 30 of a month, i will select the all range while creating chart.What i want when click on the chart it could eliminate the zero value items from the X-axis. Could i have your help on this ? ...