Keeping track of things

How do you experienced Access gurus do it? I have only a few reports
and a few tables and already I'm having difficulty figuring out which
queries go into which report, which queries are stuff I was testing
out and which ones I can safely delete without breaking a report.

Do you follow some sort of naming convention?
0
MikeB
12/20/2007 5:08:34 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Why not build a table that list your table-query-form/report information?
Have another table to track changes made in the database (Configuration
Management).
Keep a copy that relfects any change to the database configuration using
date/version in the name.
--
KARL DEWEY
Build a little - Test a little

"MikeB" wrote:

> How do you experienced Access gurus do it? I have only a few reports
> and a few tables and already I'm having difficulty figuring out which
> queries go into which report, which queries are stuff I was testing
> out and which ones I can safely delete without breaking a report.
>
> Do you follow some sort of naming convention?

Cheat!  Embed each query with the Form or Report that uses it.  In the
Form/Report's data properties, open the QBE grid and create and test
the query.  When you close the query you'll be asked if you want to
save it.  Yes.  When asked if you want to give it a name and save it
in the Query window, No.

Then clear out your Query window except for possibly a few Action
Queries.  Give the Action Queries longish descriptive names.  Never
use a query for more than one purpose or you'll find yourself
modifying it for the current purpose and breaking it for the "other"
purpose - which you won't discover until the next time you happen to
be doing the "other" thing.

HTH
--
-Larry-
--

"MikeB" <MPBrede@gmail.com> wrote in message
> How do you experienced Access gurus do it? I have only a few reports
> and a few tables and already I'm having difficulty figuring out
which
> queries go into which report, which queries are stuff I was testing
> out and which ones I can safely delete without breaking a report.
>
> Do you follow some sort of naming convention?

0
Larry
12/20/2007 6:16:11 PM
No hard and fast rules, but *generally*, I tend to name queries that serve
as report, form or combobox recordsources with "qrpt[ReportName]",
"qfrm[FormName]" or "qcbo[ListName]" respectively.

More general queries might get named "qryDev_[Purpose]",
"qryMaint_[Purpose]". If I know its a one-shot, it might get named "x qry.."
or "qtmp" so it becomes easy to spot and is easy pickings for deletion or
reclassification if it proves to have lasting value.

Its a matter of what 1) will keep you sane and 2) simple enough that it
stands a good chance of *also* making some sense to anyone else with half a
brain who might end up working with the project some day when you aren't
around.

--
HTH,
George

"MikeB" <MPBrede@gmail.com> wrote in message
> How do you experienced Access gurus do it? I have only a few reports
> and a few tables and already I'm having difficulty figuring out which
> queries go into which report, which queries are stuff I was testing
> out and which ones I can safely delete without breaking a report.
>
> Do you follow some sort of naming convention?

0
George

Outlook keeps prompting for logon..
User is on Outlook 2k3, latest service packs, updates, etc. Mailbox lives on Exchange 2007 (SP1). Everytime the user starts Outlook they're prompted to logon. I've disabled the logon prompt at startup option (and enabled it and then disabled it again), but it's still happening. I've tried it with cached mode on and cached mode off. I've tried it with offline mode enabled and disabled. I've tried deleting his profile and recreating it. I've tried switching to an RPC/HTTPS connection. Finally, i completely uninstalled Outlook 2k3 and installed Outlook 2k7. Not...

Tracking Changes Question
Hi, We are trying to find a way to track all of the changes to our spreadshets and, I was hoping, to our modules. This is related to the Sarbanes Oxley Act. The powers that be want to freeze our spreadsheets at a point in time and then track any changes that we make. Is anybody familiar with this? Thanks, Anita Yes, you need to make the workbook a shared worbook (Tools>Shar Workbook) then select enable tracking (Tools>Track Changes). 'Here's (http://tinyurl.com/3e3g3) the official line. Or you can find tutorial 'here (http://www.jmu.edu/computing/workshop/handouts/...

Tracking of Spouses Finances
When I go through the initial interview process, Money 2003 and 2004 ask whether you want to track your spouses finances as well. I have however been unable to find out whether Money does something with this information later on. Anyone knows if there is some functionality that uses this information? Thanks. Charles -- I think it might come on handy on the tax estimator... "Richard Bollar, MVP" <bollar@bollar.org> wrote in message news:uDmY3xCWDHA.3088@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > The only place that it's obvious is in the lifetime planner, where each > spouse...

Help Old addresses keep coming up

outlook to exchange tracking
Hi All, I have an outlook client that is sending strange messages through the server. I need to track down what the client IP is or what user account is being used to send these messages. Is there a way to track activity between outlook and the exchange server? ...

Outlook sends winmail.dat attachment when Track in CRM is clicked
If a client clicks on Track in CRM button and sends email with attachment, for example .xls file Outlook sends it as an winmail.dat attachment which is unreadable for many people. If the function Track in CRM is not active the attachment is send OK. I have played a bit with format of sent e-mails, e.g. plain text, html but it behaves still in the same way. -- Thank You, Robert Harrison Portland: 503-345-9176 ext 814 Seattle: 206-686-3254 ext 814 Gateway Solutions Inc www.GSIcrm.com Certified Microsoft CRM Solution Partner ...

Keep Lines Together; Keep with Next

Message Tracking Center?
Is it possible to export the list of information that you get from the Message Tracking Center? I need to send a list of emails that was sent from a specific user during a date range. Win2003 Server/Exchange 2003 sp2 The message tracking log files are text files. If you can write code, you could develop a script to pull what you want out of them. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "Penny Miller" <Penny.Miller@co.chelan.wa.us> wrote in message news:O84nkXgpGHA.4196@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Is it possible to...

why do my pictures keep disappearing?
Although I have checked the box in 'pictures' any form of graphic or word art that I have inserted into my publication keeps disappearing! If I click in the general direction of the insertion the bounding dots appear, but no picture Are you sure you have view, pictures, detailed display checked? If so try updating your graphics driver... -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "JG" <JG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:57E101AC-A758-400A-9269-3B68B754CA0E@microsoft.com... > Altho...

how can I keep a tab in place?
I have workbooks with multiple worksheets. I would like to keep the summary tab in a fixed (first) position so that the user can easily, quickly find it without using the l<, <, >, >l (arrow) tabs. I use hyperlinks to get from the summary tab to the other tabs, and I know I can hyperlink tab back... but I'd rather not use the hyperlinks too much. Tools - Protection - Protect workbook (for structure) Or, create a custom button/macro that navigates to the summary sheet. -- Best Regards, Luke M "missy8892" <missy8892@discussions.microsoft.com>...

Outlook 2003 keeps asking for password for POP3 account
I am running WinXP Pro and Office 2003. My Outlook 2003 keeps popping up intermittently a pop-up box requesting me to re-enter the POP3 account password. Now, there is nothing wrong with the password already entered (check box to save password), so all i am having to do is click OK, but it is really annoying. Does anyone know what i can do to stop Outlook from doing this? Thanks for your help. ...

How do I keep the home tool bar on top
An hour ago the home tool bar stoped being displayed. I can restore it but every time i hit a key the tool bar disapers. How do I keep the tool bar on top while I am typing. You've minimized the Ribbon. Double-click any tab on the Ribbon to restore it. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "RobertTaylor" <RobertTaylor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:081A95C4-76B9-47E2-A4E6-83A080233AD0@microsoft.com... > An hour ago the home tool bar stoped being displayed. I can rest...

Meeting tracking info shows "none".
Environment: All Windows 2003 (server), Exchange 2003, XP, and Office 2003 (latest service packs and updates for all). We have a user that isn't seeing any response information under the tracking tab of a meeting they've created. It just says "none" and never updates, even though several users had already accepted. The problem still happens on other PC's where i create his profile. If i create my own profile on any of these same PC's, it works fine. Any ideas?? Thanks in advance. Is your client OPENING the responses that he receives? Does your client ha...

How to keep userform always on the top of all windows application
Hi All!! Is there some that when I execute an excel user form, it *remains o the top * of all the windows applications that are currently running until & unless I, manually, minimize or close it. Regards, Jat -- JAtz_DA_WA ----------------------------------------------------------------------- JAtz_DA_WAY's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2668 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=40059 You may get an answer to your question--but it'll involve both making the userform always on top plus adding those minim...

Keep it alive
Hello! Is it possible to declare an Access.Application object in a module of another db (let's call it db1), display the application window to the user interface and keep it alive even when db1 is closed? Because the database object is closed as soon as the memory used by db1 is released.. Thanks for any suggestion! Answered in another group where you posted this. ...

how to keep text with next paragraph
"Church Mouse" wrote: > What is the problem? Version? ...

deposit to keep??
When you cancel a layaway and rms ask you if you want deposit to keep and you say ok, what happens to the money and where does that money go? and is there a way to turn off that button? ...

keep or not keep SMTP log files?
Hi, I'm curious about what do you do with your SMTP lof files? How long do you keep your smtp lof files? Save them onto a tape media or external harddrive? Do you delete them after 6 months? Or don't keep them at all? I'm trying to get a general idea what administrators do to their smtp log files. Thanks and appreciate it. Ricky On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 13:01:04 -0700, Ricky T <RickyT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi, > >I'm curious about what do you do with your SMTP lof files? How long do you >keep your smtp lof files? Save them onto a tape medi...

Pre-sale and tracking quantities
My client has a feed store and we're implementing RMS 2.0. They have customers who come in and pay for feed up front but not take the feed with them. They will come in several times during the month/quarter to pick up the feed (this is because they always want fresh feed for their animals). How would you ring up this type of sale? Layaway with 100% deposit? Work Order? How would you then track what they pick up? It's not always the same feed. They might deposit $1,000 as a blanket for whatever type of feed they need when they come to the store. Thanks! Teri I think wor...

keeping cell formatting
Hello, I have formatted an excel spreadsheet (changed cell widths and height etc...) I would like to retain this formatting when i copy this spreadsheet t other sheets. How can I do this? As it is now, I have to change each cell manually each time I copy th spreadsheet template to another sheet. Thanks in advance aladdi -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com I just experimented with this and as far as I can tell, Width is attached to the column and height attached to the row. So, if you want to copy and paste data and maitain cell width and height, you may have to select wh...

Keeping Outlook on top?
I have, hopefully a simple question. When I click on a link (hypertext) how can I make outlook stay on top so I can read other messages until I am ready to go to my web browser and look at the page that was open? Thanks for any help!! SSDD "D" <D@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9E96DBF0-BABB-4E5C-8734-4A5D8695A71C@microsoft.com... >I have, hopefully a simple question. When I click on a link (hypertext) >how > can I make outlook stay on top so I can read other messages until I am > ready > to go to my web browser and look at the page that ...

tabs keep resetting
When ever I set new taps for a document when I close it and reopen it all my tabs are set back to 5. Is there a way to reset my default tabs to retain my 2 setting? You are likely thinking Publisher works just like Word. Well, not quite. But refer to this article - http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA011196811033.aspx?Query=default&Scope=TC%2cHP%2cHA%2cRC%2cFX%2cES%2cEP%2cDC%2cXT "katiekate" wrote: > When ever I set new taps for a document when I close it > and reopen it all my tabs are set back to 5. Is there a > way to reset my default tabs to re...

how to keep tables on one page automatically
An age old question but one which in my foolishness I though MS might have solved with Office 7. But how many of you have found the page which shows the links between old commands and new. I'd like to include it here but if I try to find it I will navigate away. Just about the only thing which can be said in MS's favor about Office 7 questions is that MS is better than Adobe. Otherwise the amount of time wasted is horrendous. If you're asking how to keep a table on one page, one way to do it is to select all but the last row and mark them "Keep With Next" in ...

Delivery tracking
Hi, I'm looking for a way of repoting on all mails that have been sent from us to a recepient and seeing the success/failure of delivery of these emails. Does anyone know if there is an automated way/piece of software which will allow you to do this? Can't really reliy on using delivery receipts due to having to make sure that the receipients mail system is configured for allowing these out. Marcus End-to-end delivery reports (to a user's mailbox on an external mail system) aren't really possible or realistic as far as tracking each and every message is concerned. ...