Interactive Web database with query capabilty

I see lots of questions about using Access as an interactive web database but 
many of the answers seem to dance all around the question.  Let me be as 
precise with the question as possbile...

Here is a online database that is exactly like what I want to do with Access

http://www.osalt.org/events/osalt
http://www.osalt.org/events/submit

This interface was created with something called Ruby on Rails.  

(1) Can this same thing be done with Access and asp?

(2) Can you provide an example of an access database that offers the same 
query capability and submission capability?

I have done a simple access database online that will return results and 
even total some numbers from the database but these are static queries.  I 
want to be able to let my ANONYMOUS visitors use dropdown lists to query the 
DB.

Any direction will be appreciated.
-- 
Regards,

Rod Smothers
0
Utf
7/8/2007 3:28:01 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

5 Replies
781 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 24

Rod Smothers wrote:
> I see lots of questions about using Access as an interactive web
> database but many of the answers seem to dance all around the
> question.  Let me be as precise with the question as possbile...
>
> Here is a online database that is exactly like what I want to do with
> Access
>
> http://www.osalt.org/events/osalt
> http://www.osalt.org/events/submit
>
> This interface was created with something called Ruby on Rails.

Exactly.  They used technologies specific to creating interactive web pages. 
Access is not such a tool.


> (1) Can this same thing be done with Access and asp?

Non-starter. If you are using ASP then you are not using Access.  Unless you 
mean using an MDB file (Jet database) as the database with which your ASP web 
page interacts.  You can do so, but then "Access" is not really in the picture 
at all.

> (2) Can you provide an example of an access database that offers the
> same query capability and submission capability?

That same web page you used as an example "could" use an Jet database (mdb file) 
as its data source.  That would not be most web authors first choice, but it 
could be done.

The beauty of an interactive web page like that is that the design of the web 
page really has very little to do with the database it is querying.   That same 
page could easily be adapted to using any database engine.

> I have done a simple access database online that will return results
> and even total some numbers from the database but these are static
> queries.  I want to be able to let my ANONYMOUS visitors use dropdown
> lists to query the DB.
>
> Any direction will be appreciated.

How are you accessing these static queries?

-- 
Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP
Email (as appropriate) to...
RBrandt   at   Hunter   dot   com



0
Rick
7/8/2007 4:15:20 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the difference between Access and ASP.  You are 
right, I AM using an MDB with my ASP pages.

Here is my DB submission form: http://www.fallslanding.org/contactsDB.asp

Here is where it returns the results for the event organizer: 
http://www.fallslanding.org/contactresults.asp

It's been a while since I did these and my question is:  how do I set up the 
query with the desired drop down lists so I can query on EVENT and/or 
EVENTDATE (ideally all events during a particular month) and/or LOCATIONCITY.
Is it possible to do this with Frontpage 2003?

Links to detailed instructions are especially appreciated.
-- 
Regards,

Rod Smothers


"Rick Brandt" wrote:

> Rod Smothers wrote:
> > I see lots of questions about using Access as an interactive web
> > database but many of the answers seem to dance all around the
> > question.  Let me be as precise with the question as possbile...
> >
> > Here is a online database that is exactly like what I want to do with
> > Access
> >
> > http://www.osalt.org/events/osalt
> > http://www.osalt.org/events/submit
> >
> > This interface was created with something called Ruby on Rails.
> 
> Exactly.  They used technologies specific to creating interactive web pages. 
> Access is not such a tool.
> 
> 
> > (1) Can this same thing be done with Access and asp?
> 
> Non-starter. If you are using ASP then you are not using Access.  Unless you 
> mean using an MDB file (Jet database) as the database with which your ASP web 
> page interacts.  You can do so, but then "Access" is not really in the picture 
> at all.
> 
> > (2) Can you provide an example of an access database that offers the
> > same query capability and submission capability?
> 
> That same web page you used as an example "could" use an Jet database (mdb file) 
> as its data source.  That would not be most web authors first choice, but it 
> could be done.
> 
> The beauty of an interactive web page like that is that the design of the web 
> page really has very little to do with the database it is querying.   That same 
> page could easily be adapted to using any database engine.
> 
> > I have done a simple access database online that will return results
> > and even total some numbers from the database but these are static
> > queries.  I want to be able to let my ANONYMOUS visitors use dropdown
> > lists to query the DB.
> >
> > Any direction will be appreciated.
> 
> How are you accessing these static queries?
> 
> -- 
> Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP
> Email (as appropriate) to...
> RBrandt   at   Hunter   dot   com
> 
> 
> 
> 
0
Utf
7/8/2007 5:12:05 PM
You mention that most web authors would not use an MDB file to provide a 
searchable database interface.....so what is the BEST choice in a Windows 
environment?  I could do this using MYSQL.....would that be an improvement?
-- 
Regards,

Rod Smothers


"Rick Brandt" wrote:

> Rod Smothers wrote:
> > I see lots of questions about using Access as an interactive web
> > database but many of the answers seem to dance all around the
> > question.  Let me be as precise with the question as possbile...
> >
> > Here is a online database that is exactly like what I want to do with
> > Access
> >
> > http://www.osalt.org/events/osalt
> > http://www.osalt.org/events/submit
> >
> > This interface was created with something called Ruby on Rails.
> 
> Exactly.  They used technologies specific to creating interactive web pages. 
> Access is not such a tool.
> 
> 
> > (1) Can this same thing be done with Access and asp?
> 
> Non-starter. If you are using ASP then you are not using Access.  Unless you 
> mean using an MDB file (Jet database) as the database with which your ASP web 
> page interacts.  You can do so, but then "Access" is not really in the picture 
> at all.
> 
> > (2) Can you provide an example of an access database that offers the
> > same query capability and submission capability?
> 
> That same web page you used as an example "could" use an Jet database (mdb file) 
> as its data source.  That would not be most web authors first choice, but it 
> could be done.
> 
> The beauty of an interactive web page like that is that the design of the web 
> page really has very little to do with the database it is querying.   That same 
> page could easily be adapted to using any database engine.
> 
> > I have done a simple access database online that will return results
> > and even total some numbers from the database but these are static
> > queries.  I want to be able to let my ANONYMOUS visitors use dropdown
> > lists to query the DB.
> >
> > Any direction will be appreciated.
> 
> How are you accessing these static queries?
> 
> -- 
> Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP
> Email (as appropriate) to...
> RBrandt   at   Hunter   dot   com
> 
> 
> 
> 
0
Utf
7/8/2007 7:10:01 PM
Rod Smothers wrote:
> You mention that most web authors would not use an MDB file to
> provide a searchable database interface.....so what is the BEST
> choice in a Windows environment?  I could do this using
> MYSQL.....would that be an improvement?

It depends on how many concurrent users you might have and whether most of 
them will be updating data versus just retrieving data.  If an MDB file has 
been working for you (so far) then it's likely that you are fine staying 
with that.  Server databases support higher concurrency and better security, 
etc..  You might not need any of that.

-- 
Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP
Email (as appropriate) to...
RBrandt   at   Hunter   dot   com 


0
Rick
7/9/2007 5:35:37 PM
There will be very few concurrent users....no more than three at any one time 
and they will be anonymous users.  Most will be retreiving data but will be 
using the drop down options to query the data.
-- 
Regards,

Rod Smothers


"Rick Brandt" wrote:

> Rod Smothers wrote:
> > You mention that most web authors would not use an MDB file to
> > provide a searchable database interface.....so what is the BEST
> > choice in a Windows environment?  I could do this using
> > MYSQL.....would that be an improvement?
> 
> It depends on how many concurrent users you might have and whether most of 
> them will be updating data versus just retrieving data.  If an MDB file has 
> been working for you (so far) then it's likely that you are fine staying 
> with that.  Server databases support higher concurrency and better security, 
> etc..  You might not need any of that.
> 
> -- 
> Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP
> Email (as appropriate) to...
> RBrandt   at   Hunter   dot   com 
> 
> 
> 
0
Utf
7/10/2007 2:42:01 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

How do you interactively write to a CEditView Window
(Newbie): I am trying to output status and diagnostic information to a CEditView Window and allow users input annotations to the same window. The User input is handled by Windows. How do I output to the window? How do I ensure that program output is appended to existing text? DrawText erases the screen and outputs to (0,0). What is the magic? (Please) skidmarks On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 10:34:00 -0700, skidmarks <skidmarks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >(Newbie): I am trying to output status and diagnostic information to a >CEditView Window and allow users input annotations...

Web Publishing from Excel
Hi there. I have spent the last few days designing a spreadsheet that I had planned on publishing to the web (static data)... Within the spreadsheet, I have a number of "series" and have made the series names into links within Excel. However, excel AUTOMATICALLY seems to be prefacing the filename (i.e. s&p.htm) with the full path name where it is located on my harddrive (which will not work once uploaded to the web). Is there any way to stop it from doing this? As well, I would like to specify the target of the <a href...> to be a different frame, as it currently ...

customer web site links in BP
Hello: I see that the Customer Summary page in BP 4.0 lists the URL of the customer's web site. But, is it possible to add a web part in BP that will allow you to click on the customer's URL on the Customer Summary page and bring up the web page? Ideally, too, it would be good to have a "Map" feature in BP similar to what is found on the customer card in GP where you can link directly to map software so the address plugs in directly and you can pull up directions to the customer site. Have any of you BP gurus out there ever done anything similar to these two tasks? ...

Simple update Query
Hi, I'm sure I've done this in the past but can't figure how. I have 2 tables "A" and "B" both with the following fields Town; Council I want to update Table "A"'s Council field with the Council information in table "B" Could someone please give me the SQL code to do this. Thanks in advance UPDATE TableA INNER JOIN TableB ON TableA.Town = TableB.Town SET TableA.Council = TableB.Council. IF you can only do this using design view -- Open a new query -- Select the two tables -- Set up a join by dragging from town to town -- add the Cou...

Database Components missing
Hi Group i did a simple MFC database program CDaoDatabase and CDaoRecordset but i am getting this error "Unable to initialize DAO/ JET db Engine" in my target PC, but no error at my pc for development. CDaoDatabase m_database; m_database.Open("C:\\test.mdb"); CDaoRecordset record(&m_database); .... .... I have already checked the article ID 168004. With the same error. but it doesn't apply in my case as i am using MSVC 6.0 with the latest patch. I have also installed mdac28sdk.msi at the target pc. any one with a hint. "beauwlf" <beauwlf@frug...

Web Login Problem
I have just installed a copy of CRM. I have been shutting this down most evenings when I finish working with it. However, people are now using this so I am leaving it up over-night. The first time that I did this I found that the next day no-one could login. When they accessed the site http://sbs the status bar reported opening site and nothing happened for 10-15 mins, then an error was finally returned. I rebooted the server and everything was fine. I now find that this happens every night, so I re-installed CRM and attached the original database but this is still happening. Has...

Adding multiple PDF pages to a Publisher web page
I am using Publisher 2003 and would like to copy a 7 page PDF file onto a web page in Publisher. When I insert the document as an object only the first page is added to the web page. How can I copy the PDF document and get all 7 pages into the Publisher document as one file? -- Tenpin Ed Why not create a link and let folks open the PDF? You might do better asking this on the Publisher web design newsgroup. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Tenpin Eddie" <e.barnes@verizon.net> wrote in message news:0E757EC4-571C-4369-BE38-D89B590CD219@microsoft.com... >I am u...

Outlook Web Access for dummies?
We have just finished configuring a FE - BE configuration on our Exchange 2003 - Windows 2003 server... Very cool! Here is my question: Is there a way that I can set up IIS so that the user does not need to type the /EXCHANGE in our url (https://webmail.ourdomain.net/exchange) in order to login to OWA? Remembering to type HTTPS is about all some of our users can be expected to remember. :-) There is no other web site at this URL or on the FE server. I am sure I can probably do it in IIS if I knew how... Any input would be appreciated by this OWA challenged, admin. TIA... If you also want...

web.config
Hi Could I Add mime type for specific content programaticaly through .Net ? Could I add any tag at web.config to do that I do not want to that using IIS Regards ...

White screen during Long running query
I have an Access app that does a lot of number cruching and exports the data in Excel. However, I notice that when my long running queries are running, I cannot jump to another application on my PC and jump back to Access (using the task bar at the bottom of the screen). What I get is a white screen when I try to get Access to resume its focus. I tried scattering DoEvent commands in my VBA code that runs the queries but that doesn't help. Any suggestions? My users are getting annoyed by this. they can't seem to use their PC for anything when Access is busy running. Try using A...

url clicking displays web toolbar
Whenever a url is clicked from a form, the web toolbar shows up out of nowhere. Can I stop this? thanks in advance, magmike In the open event of you form try something like: ' trun off web tool bar DoCmd.ShowToolbar "Web", acToolbarNo magmike wrote: >Whenever a url is clicked from a form, the web toolbar shows up out of >nowhere. Can I stop this? > >thanks in advance, > >magmike -- Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach http://www.hitechcoach.com http://www.officeprogramming.com Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com ...

Business Portal User able to modify Shared Web Part Regradless of
I was under the impression user in the Reader role can not modified any shared Web Part but that was not the case. I am running BP2.5 with GP 8. Any one else had this problem and if there are any work around?? ...

Top 10 Things To Look For In A Web Host #3
Top 10 Things To Look For In A Web Host http://hosting-top10.blogspot.com/2008/07/top-10-things-to-look-for-in-web-= host.html 5 Tips To Choose A Domain Name For An Internet Business http://hosting-top10.blogspot.com/2008/07/5-tips-to-choose-domain-name-for.= html Domain Name Registration - Investments That Reap Benefits (part 2) http://hosting-top10.blogspot.com/2008/07/domain-name-registration-investme= nts_28.html Domain Name Registration - Investments That Reap Benefits (part 1) http://hosting-top10.blogspot.com/2008/07/domain-name-registration-investme= nts.html Getting One Free Domains...

make table query with related tables
I have an equipment maintenance database, I would like to put my inactive (gotten rid of) equipment in an inactive table, and not loose the relationship with the maintenance table. basically make two tables. I did a make table query, made my inactive equipment table. I could not delete the equipment from my first table due to key rules. I then made a relationship from my equipment table to my maintenance performed table. could not make a one to many and enforce integrity due to the first equipment table. I am going to delete the relationships, run a delete query on my inactive marked e...

How do I send interactive message?
I am using MS Outlook 2002 at work. I need to send a message to my internal users that requires a response such as: Dear user, Please select one of the following then reply to me: [O] Option 1 [O] Option 2 [O] Option 3 I tried sending this as HTML, it works until you hit reply then it removes the option buttons. Any thoughts? Thanks! ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

Importing Customers into a new HQ Database
I have a site (1 store) that I'm implementing HQ into. I get HQ to create a new database for the store and when I Import Store Operations data it doesn't import the global customers or local from the original store database. ...

Outlook Web Access (OWA) #3
When special characters are used in subject line, get "Page Cannot Be Found" error. This was not the case in previous version of OWA. Does anyone know if Microsoft is aware/fixining this issue? Or if there is a patch or workaround? Ask in an Exchange newsgroup as OWA is part of Exchange; not Outlook. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Backup and Restore -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- "Tom Vaughn" <tvaughn@greyhawk.com> wrote in message news:1e34e01c4552d$1dc474c0$a101280a@phx.gbl... >...

Web site
I am putting together a simple 4 page web site and each page 1-4 has a bunch of blank pages that print every time I try and print a page. Also, it looks fine in Publisher, but when I look at the web page preview-every page is all the way to the left side with a large blank margin on the right side-I can't get it to fill the entire screen although it looks full page in Publisher... Understanding background padding in a Publisher web (aka white space) http://msmvps.com/blogs/dbartosik/articles/80563.aspx -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news:...

Multiple Item query
I've read a few posts on this query and it looks like creating a table where I input the item numbers in it and linking it to the query seems to be a good way to get a lot of items in a query. Now what If I have hundreds of numbers I want to look up? do I input all 100 numbers into the table? Or what if it's like 10 numbers but I want create seperate queries for different groups of numbers, should I have 1 table for one group of numbers? What would be the easiest way for a novice to do this? It is easier to fill the table with just the values you need for the query you want to run, t...

Printing web page
I realize that some web sites may have a protection against printing content and I am not sure how to tell. However, I was trying to print a chart from an internet banking site and I was only able to print the header to the website but I was unable to print the chart. Any ideas? I am using IE8. (I often come across websites that only print blank pages-is it just a security setting from the website or is there a setting I need to change in my browser?) -- meyersroman Right Click with mouse over the chart and see what the options are. Frank "meyersroman" <...

Web mail
Hi, I can view my email from OWA http://mail.domainname.com/exchange. How can I change this address to http://mail.domainname.com without typeing /exchange at the end? Thank you very much! Amy Here is a link that explains how you can do this: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319878 -- Mark Fugatt "Amy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:246501c4863a$4f9ef860$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Hi, > > I can view my email from OWA > http://mail.domainname.com/exchange. How can I change > this address to http://mail.do...

Video E-mail Outlooks 2003 does not recognize my digital USB web .
Even though XP Pro recognizes my web cam and also MSN messenger can both broadcast. The video e-mail option on Outlook 2003 will not recognize my web cam being plugged into the USB I have the identical problem. Anyone have a fix? Bob >-----Original Message----- >Even though XP Pro recognizes my web cam and also MSN messenger can both >broadcast. The video e-mail option on Outlook 2003 will not recognize my web >cam being plugged into the USB >. > Dear Bob and Anon Don't waste any more time on the add-in - it has never worked for anyone that I know of. >-...

Updating a passthrough query's connect string
If I use DAO to update the Connect setting for a QueryDef for a SQL Passthrough query, what do I need to do to ensure that the new connect string is used and available in the code that follows? Currently, the only way that I can get this change to "stick" is to either manually change the setting or close/re-open Access. As I have thousands of external databases to attach to (the same tasks are performed on each of these), neither of these is an option. If I use QueryDefs.Refresh or something similar, it doesn't seem to make any difference - the change is not in...

shapes and databases
I am trying to link an Access datbase to a Visio drawing. My database table has a list of 190 servers cetegorised into logical functions such as webserver, database server, email server etc. I have followed the help and creaed a new stencil and tten linked it to the database table. I then create a new drawing using the stencil. My problem is that I can not work out how to get Visio to use different shapes for different record types. I can get Visio to draw all 190 servers but they all have the same single shape (whatever master shape I choose from the Database Wizard). I can add new rec...

determine who is logged onto a database
Hello, I have a main form and want to show who is currently loged into the database on this form. I have found some Module code on microsoft help but I dont know how to get it to show on my form? Is there some easy way to get this to work? Thanks!! Sub ShowUserRosterMultipleUsers() Dim cn As New ADODB.Connection Dim rs As New ADODB.Recordset Dim i, j As Long Set cn = CurrentProject.Connection ' The user roster is exposed as a provider-specific schema rowset ' in the Jet 4.0 OLE DB provider. You have to use a GUID to ' reference the schema, as provider-specific schemas are n...