Importing large text file

I'm importing a text file with 300,000 records of 51 columns each. The
method I'm using, is linking the file and creating an append query
onto a empty table (can't import directly because some columns are pre-
processed with VBA functions)

Upon finishing, there's an error message. The message is in spanish
but roughly says something like "Access has set 7 values to null
because of type conversion failure, and skipped 0 records because of
key infractions, 0 records because of blocking infractions and 0
records because of validation rules infractions .. Do you wish to run
the action query anyway?"

Clicking YES causes all the 300,000 records to be inserted into the
table, but of course there are 7 of them which are incomplete. (Or
maybe there's ONE record with 7 null columns, I don't know) How could
I try and find out which ones? (If this was a paste operation, there
would be a "paste errors" table with the error description, but
apparently there is no such thing on action queries, or is it?)

(And I tried linking and copying/pasting but the limit seems to be
65000)

If I insert each record individually using VBA, (cringe) will I be
able to trap this error to at least find out which record(s) are
causing trouble? Or is there some easier way?

Thanks in advance!
C.

0
Chris
7/23/2007 11:14:18 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 16:14:18 -0700, "Chris L." <diversos@uol.com.ar> wrote:

>"Access has set 7 values to null
>because of type conversion failure

My *guess* is that there is either a Number or a Date field in the input file
which contains invalid characters. It will be tedious as all get-out, but try
creating a Query using the IsNumeric function to find non-number values in
each field which should be numeric:

SELECT * FROM linkedtextfile
WHERE Not IsNumeric(FieldX) OR Not IsNumeric(FieldY) Or Not IsNumeric(FieldZ)

If you have date fields, IsDate() will do the same thing.

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0
John
7/24/2007 2:31:56 AM
On Jul 23, 11:31 pm, John W. Vinson
<jvinson@STOP_SPAM.WysardOfInfo.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 16:14:18 -0700, "Chris L." <diver...@uol.com.ar> wrote:
> >"Access has set 7 values to null
> >because of type conversion failure
>
> My *guess* is that there is either a Number or a Date field in the input file
> which contains invalid characters.

Indeed, the problem was caused by wrong decimal separators in some
records.

Thanks!

0
Chris

Importing messages #6

Import and export

Importing data

Opening Lotus *.123 files in Excel
Is there a convertion filter for opening Lotus *.123 files in Excel. I can convert *.wk? files, but I am unable to open *.123 (Lotus 1-2-3 Release 9 for Windows) files "Jim Warren" <Jim Warren@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote... >Is there a convertion filter for opening Lotus *.123 files in Excel. >I can convert *.wk? files, but I am unable to open *.123 (Lotus 1-2-3 >Release 9 for Windows) files The .wk? file formats predated Microsoft securing +90% market share, so way back then they had to compete in terms of interoperability. The .123 file format came after Mi...

excel 97 xml import

PUBLISHER TEXT BOX PROBLEMS
HOW DO I MAKE THE BACKGROUND OF A TEXT BOX BLACK AND THE WRITING WHITE? I CAN ONLY SEEM TO MAKE THE WHOLE PAGE BLACK. Three steps are needed. #1 Replace or fix your keyboard so it isn't stuck on Caps Lock. #2 Select the text frame and then color it black. #3 With the text frame selected, use Ctrl-A to highlight all text and click on the text color icon to choose white. -- Ron "cataloguemaker" <cataloguemaker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CCAF0C9F-1FE2-4A76-9431-CCB37FFCFF68@microsoft.com... > HOW DO I MAKE THE BACKGROUND OF A TEXT BOX BLACK AND ...

Importing JEs through the Table Import

Importing Dynamic data

recover damaged excel file
I have a workbook creater with Excel 2000 just a few days ago but there's no way to open it. Coud anyone give me any suggestion? Hi, what message do you get?, ask your IT department usually they backup all the files, did you send the file to somebody? "Nora_Italy" wrote: > I have a workbook creater with Excel 2000 just a few days ago but there's no > way to open it. Coud anyone give me any suggestion? Thank you Eduardo. I don't get any error message, the file just doesn't open. Unfortunatately we backup files only once a month and I created...

Capturing "text" instead of the formula
I have the following code snippet: Pass = 0 Fail = 0 For i = 9 To (ZeroRow - 3) Step 8 If Cells(i, "H").Value = Pass Then Pass = Pass + 1 Else Fail = Fail + 1 End If Next The cells I'm referring to actually have formulas in them but when you look at the worksheet the cells have either "Pass" or "Fail" in them. That's what I'm trying to capture. But when I run this code it doesn't see "Pass" in any of the cells so all of them in the for loop get assigned to Fail. I've tried putting t...

Importing a CSV file

Make a complete list of words from texts in a range
Hey guys - again :) My challenge today is as follow: Sheet = "TEXT" In column A i have several celles with texts/comments - words/ sentences I want to split all the texts into singel words and make a word-list of all used words of this column A - and copy the words into a new sheet (sheet = "WORDS") column A as my complete word-list. I have no idea of how to do this. After producing this word-list I will remove the doublettes and sort it - this of course I CAN do bmy own "skills". Will anyone please help me? Kindly regards Snoopy On Fri, 27 ...

Import DB from CRM 1.2 to 3.0

Back up file function no longer works
Although we have previously had no problem with running a backup of our Money 2002 file on file close, we now get an error message saying that "The operation cannot be performed." The filename is the same it always was. Any ideas? ...

Watermark behind text in the footer?
Hello Excel experts! I'm working on a spreadsheet of about 50 pages in Excel 2003. Ideally, the client would like each page to have a footer with a number 1, 2, 3, etc... in the bottom right hand corner...identifying his content. These are not page numbers he wants, just a simple numbering sequence. I can handle THAT part! LOL What he'd also like is a watermark type of graphic to sit *behind* each number. For example, let's say that he'd like each number super-imposed onto a maple leaf background. I've managed to get the maple leaf background (graphic) to sit on eit...

File Size
Please note that this is not your typical file size question. I have a macro-enabled Excel 2007 file that varies in size from 15-100Mb depending on how much data I populate it with. Every day, in order to email this file out, I alter it by doing the following: Select all tabs (11 in all). Select all cells Copy/Paste Values Delete 5 of the tabs Save as a new Excel Workbook (not macro enabled) The new file size is now roughly 600Kb. However, all of a sudden, the changed file is about 2Mb. I made sure to delete all the excess rows/columns. I deleted the one macro that I h...

importing email

import pdf table

log files in folder MDBDATA
is it safe to delete the log files that's in the folder MDBDATA? fanman36 wrote: > is it safe to delete the log files that's in the folder MDBDATA? This files will be deleted automatically after performing a full backup with NTBackup. They are used for recovery. -- Dana http://www.woodcontour.com Solid wood and stone PC Peripherals On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 22:15:01 -0700, "fanman36" <fanman36@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >is it safe to delete the log files that's in the folder MDBDATA? No, you should not manually delete those files. Use an Exchange awar...

Insert File
I currently have a macro(written for MS Word) which inserts a selected file from a directory. Sub GeneralUsertextClauses() With Dialogs(wdDialogInsertFile) ..name = varUSERTEXT ..Show End With End Sub varusertext is referenced as follows: Global Const varUSERTEXT As String = "w:\zzword97\usertext\" How can I ensure that the selected file isn't an attachment when used with Outlook but is just inserted into the body of the text (word is my editor)? JayM You can't. You'd need to be using the Outlook object model and adding an attachment using Outloo...

Import / date questions
Hi I have imported a lot of email (15,000) from Thunderbird > converted from mbox > .eml - dragged the email into Outlook express and then imported into Outlook2003. All has worked fine ish- but a lot of messages have the "received" field set as todays date / time. If I select the "sent" field that is correct. Is there anyway to reset the date on an email message in outlook (ideally on mass) - what is the difference between the Sent field and the received field ? Thanks Hi Just did a check, and the data in outlook express is correct. Its when I did the impor...