Importing Excel files into Access -- without having to change the Data Type to "text" one field at a time

Hello - I have recently begun a job where we need to transfer files to
Excel, make a few data manipulations, and then import the data into
access.

The problem is, the only way that I know to do it seems to take a lot
of time.

When I import the file to access, I have to go through each field to
identify it as text. Otherwise, I get import errors.

Is there a way to make this process more efficient.  For instance, can
I somehow let access know that ALL FIELDS are text, rather than having
to scan through each individual field to change them to text.

I tried saving the excel file as a text file, but access still reads
the numbers as "long integers" until I change them to text.

Thanks for any perspective you can provide me on this.

Any advice at all on importing files to access would be appreciated.

- M
0
Mike
3/15/2008 4:02:42 AM
access 16762 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Mike,
When importing from excel to access, access does a scan of the first 8 rows
of the spreadsheet.
If it finds any text in the first 8 rows of a column, it gives it a text
data type.
Access gives text a higher priority than numbers.
If you have long integers for the first 10 or so rows in a column followed
by some text data, access will error out because it can't put text in a
number data type field.
If you have nulls for the first 10 or so rows in a column followed by
numbers, access will scan the nulls and interpret them as text data type and
then be unable to put the numbers in a text field.

Choosing the option of no column headings can make each column have one row
of text data as the first row of each column.

Another option  might be to link to the spreadsheet and use append queries
to move the data back into access.

If your excel data has mixed data types in a column, you could create an
excel macro that converts all fields to text before you do the
import.

There are some options to change this default behavior by using ADO to do
the import (althought it is quite limited). I can't find the reference to
this right now.

Others will probably add more suggestions to the list.

Jeanette Cunningham

"Mike C" <js2k111@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello - I have recently begun a job where we need to transfer files to
> Excel, make a few data manipulations, and then import the data into
> access.
>
> The problem is, the only way that I know to do it seems to take a lot
> of time.
>
> When I import the file to access, I have to go through each field to
> identify it as text. Otherwise, I get import errors.
>
> Is there a way to make this process more efficient.  For instance, can
> I somehow let access know that ALL FIELDS are text, rather than having
> to scan through each individual field to change them to text.
>
> I tried saving the excel file as a text file, but access still reads
> the numbers as "long integers" until I change them to text.
>
> Thanks for any perspective you can provide me on this.
>
> Any advice at all on importing files to access would be appreciated.
>
> - M

0
Jeanette
3/15/2008 6:25:01 AM
Oops,
this paragraph:
If you have nulls for the first 10 or so rows in a column followed by
numbers, access will scan the nulls and interpret them as text data type and
then be unable to put the numbers in a text field.

should be:
If you are importing into a field with number data type
and if you have nulls for the first 10 or so rows in a column followed by
numbers, access will scan the first 8 rows, scan the nulls and interpret
them
as text data type and be unable to put text in a number field.

Jeanette Cunningham

"Jeanette Cunningham" <nnn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Mike,
> When importing from excel to access, access does a scan of the first 8
> rows
> of the spreadsheet.
> If it finds any text in the first 8 rows of a column, it gives it a text
> data type.
> Access gives text a higher priority than numbers.
> If you have long integers for the first 10 or so rows in a column followed
> by some text data, access will error out because it can't put text in a
> number data type field.
> If you have nulls for the first 10 or so rows in a column followed by
> numbers, access will scan the nulls and interpret them as text data type
> and
> then be unable to put the numbers in a text field.
>
> Choosing the option of no column headings can make each column have one
> row of text data as the first row of each column.
>
> Another option  might be to link to the spreadsheet and use append queries
> to move the data back into access.
>
> If your excel data has mixed data types in a column, you could create an
> excel macro that converts all fields to text before you do the
> import.
>
> There are some options to change this default behavior by using ADO to do
> the import (althought it is quite limited). I can't find the reference to
> this right now.
>
> Others will probably add more suggestions to the list.
>
> Jeanette Cunningham
>
> "Mike C" <js2k111@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hello - I have recently begun a job where we need to transfer files to
>> Excel, make a few data manipulations, and then import the data into
>> access.
>>
>> The problem is, the only way that I know to do it seems to take a lot
>> of time.
>>
>> When I import the file to access, I have to go through each field to
>> identify it as text. Otherwise, I get import errors.
>>
>> Is there a way to make this process more efficient.  For instance, can
>> I somehow let access know that ALL FIELDS are text, rather than having
>> to scan through each individual field to change them to text.
>>
>> I tried saving the excel file as a text file, but access still reads
>> the numbers as "long integers" until I change them to text.
>>
>> Thanks for any perspective you can provide me on this.
>>
>> Any advice at all on importing files to access would be appreciated.
>>
>> - M

0
Jeanette
3/15/2008 7:36:24 AM
What format is the data originally in? If in Access, do all your
manipulations withing Access and eliminate all of the transfers.

If they are text files, I would import directly into Access and again do the
manipulations there.

If the above are not options, then I would suggest creating a table with all
text fields and import your Excel data into that instead of into a new table
each time. Of course, don't forget to empty the table prior to each import.
Once in your 'all text' table, you can then use append queries to move the
data to whatever other tables you want.

--

AG
Email: discussATadhdataDOTcom
"Mike C" <js2k111@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello - I have recently begun a job where we need to transfer files to
> Excel, make a few data manipulations, and then import the data into
> access.
>
> The problem is, the only way that I know to do it seems to take a lot
> of time.
>
> When I import the file to access, I have to go through each field to
> identify it as text. Otherwise, I get import errors.
>
> Is there a way to make this process more efficient.  For instance, can
> I somehow let access know that ALL FIELDS are text, rather than having
> to scan through each individual field to change them to text.
>
> I tried saving the excel file as a text file, but access still reads
> the numbers as "long integers" until I change them to text.
>
> Thanks for any perspective you can provide me on this.
>
> Any advice at all on importing files to access would be appreciated.
>
> - M

0
AG

------=_NextPart_000_0138_01C886B4.4E1678F0

Hi Mike,

If this is a repetitive task with many sheets having the same format, =
and it sounds as if it is -=20

You might consider doing what I've done a few times - brute force at its =
finest.=20

If I have all text and Excel ->Access aren't playing nicely together (do =
they ever?) =20

I insert a new row 2 and clone something like bogus | bugus | bogus | =
bogus across this first data row.=20
Acess will see that text and assume, "Oh, this must be a text row."

You can use A | A |A to the same effect - if you have some short text =
fields to contend with.=20

Write a macro to insert the bogus row - and on the import side (Access) =
run a query to search and destroy the bogus row.=20

Hope this helps,
Gordon

"Mike C" <js2k111@yahoo.com> wrote in message =

> Hello - I have recently begun a job where we need to transfer files to
> Excel, make a few data manipulations, and then import the data into
> access.
>=20
> The problem is, the only way that I know to do it seems to take a lot
> of time.
>=20
> When I import the file to access, I have to go through each field to
> identify it as text. Otherwise, I get import errors.
>=20
> Is there a way to make this process more efficient.  For instance, can
> I somehow let access know that ALL FIELDS are text, rather than having
> to scan through each individual field to change them to text.
>=20
> I tried saving the excel file as a text file, but access still reads
> the numbers as "long integers" until I change them to text.
>=20
> Thanks for any perspective you can provide me on this.
>=20
> Any advice at all on importing files to access would be appreciated.
>=20
> - M
------=_NextPart_000_0138_01C886B4.4E1678F0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hi Mike,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>If this is a repetitive task with many =
sheets=20
having the same format,&nbsp;and it sounds as if it is - </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>You might consider doing what I've done =
a few times=20
- brute force at its finest. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>If I have all text and Excel =
-&gt;Access aren't=20
playing nicely together (do they ever?)&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I&nbsp;insert a new row 2 and clone =
something like=20
bogus | bugus | bogus | bogus across this first data row. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Acess will see that text and assume, =
"Oh, this must=20
be a text row."</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>You can use A | A |A to the same effect =
- if you=20
have some short text fields to contend with. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Write a macro&nbsp;to insert the bogus =
row - and on=20
the import side (Access)&nbsp;run a query to search and destroy the =
bogus row.=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hope this helps,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Gordon</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>"Mike C" &lt;</FONT><A=20
href=3D"mailto:js2k111@yahoo.com"><FONT face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>js2k111@yahoo.com</FONT></A><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&gt; =
wrote in message=20
</FONT><A=20
href=3D"news:8e946219-d419-430e-8448-84299285e578@m36g2000hse.googlegroup=
s.com"><FONT=20
face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>news:8e946219-d419-430e-8448-84299285e578@m36g2000hse.googlegrou=
ps.com</FONT></A><FONT=20
face=3DArial size=3D2>...</FONT></DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&gt; =
Hello - I have=20
recently begun a job where we need to transfer files to<BR>&gt; Excel, =
make a=20
few data manipulations, and then import the data into<BR>&gt; =
access.<BR>&gt;=20
<BR>&gt; The problem is, the only way that I know to do it seems to take =
a=20
lot<BR>&gt; of time.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; When I import the file to access, =
I have=20
to go through each field to<BR>&gt; identify it as text. Otherwise, I =
get import=20
errors.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Is there a way to make this process more=20
efficient.&nbsp; For instance, can<BR>&gt; I somehow let access know =
that ALL=20
FIELDS are text, rather than having<BR>&gt; to scan through each =
individual=20
field to change them to text.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; I tried saving the excel =
file as=20
a text file, but access still reads<BR>&gt; the numbers as "long =
integers" until=20
I change them to text.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Thanks for any perspective you =
can=20
provide me on this.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Any advice at all on importing =
files to=20
access would be appreciated.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; - M</FONT></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0138_01C886B4.4E1678F0--

0
gllincoln
3/15/2008 10:50:28 PM
Mike C <js2k111@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Is there a way to make this process more efficient.  For instance, can
>I somehow let access know that ALL FIELDS are text, rather than having
>to scan through each individual field to change them to text.

The quick and dirty way would be to create the second row as having
all text.  (Assuming the first row is column headings.)  Then ignore
it in your processing.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.
wrote:
> Mike C <js2k...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >Is there a way to make this process more efficient. =A0For instance, can
> >I somehow letaccessknow that ALL FIELDS are text, rather than having
> >to scan through each individual field to change them to text.
>
> The quick and dirty way would be to create the second row as having
> all text. =A0(Assuming the first row is column headings.) =A0Then ignore
> it in your processing.
>
> Tony
> --
> Tony Toews, MicrosoftAccessMVP
> =A0 =A0Please respond only in the newsgroups so that others can
> read the entire thread of messages.
> =A0 =A0MicrosoftAccessLinks, Hints, Tips & Accounting Systems athttp://www=
..granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
> =A0 =A0Tony's MicrosoftAccessBlog -http://msmvps.com/blogs/access/

Thanks to all for your replies!
0
Mike

Automatically outline all email addresses in a given text by putting them in red-bold
Hi, I often treat raw texts and need to quickly visialize the paragraph containg email addresses. It takes me a great deal of working time t manually click red-bold on each email address I see in a text and it i not rare that I omit some addresses. Is there a simple function (like replace all *@* with *@* red-bold) i Excel or Word that I can use to automatize the process? Thanx in advanc -- frenchbo ----------------------------------------------------------------------- frenchbox's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2927 View this thread: http://w...

Printing a Chart with a Text Box
I am trying to print out a chart with a text box labeling a specific data point. If I select the entire sheet to print, the data, the chart, and the text box will print. However, when I select only the chart to print (which is what I want), the text box remains with the sheet, and does not appear with the chart. I believe this is an issue with "background/foreground", so I grouped the chart and the text box together, but this still did not work. Is there any advice out there? Thanks. You didn't add the textbox to the chart, you added it to the sheet. If you prin...

Using VBA to change the contextual menus
Hi, I've cobbled together the following two scripts to change how the contextual menus look but I get a 'Run Time Error '5': Invalid procedure call or arguement'. When I debug it points to the line: Application.CommandBars("Cell").Controls("Insert...").Delete If I comment this line out the script works fine but I can't work out what's wrong with this line. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks, Private Sub Workbook_Activate() ' This macro changes the contextual menus for Cells, Rows and Columns to ...

TransferText / Import
I've been using DoCmd.TransferText to import a prenamed text file, however, would like to giv the user the ability to specify the file to be imported, including the ability to select multiple files to import/ append to table at once. Is this possible? Thanks in advance for your help! magmike On Sat, 1 May 2010 20:29:56 -0700 (PDT), magmike <magmike7@yahoo.com> wrote: Sure it is. Open a standard File/Open dialog to ask the user for the file name, then use that value in DoCmd.TransferText. Sample code can be found in many places, including: http://www.tek-tips.com/faq...

Difference within HTML/Rich Text/Plain Text
Could anyone explain me the difference between the three mail format (HTML, Rich text and Plain text) and wich do you recommend the best? Thank you Use plain text unless you want to set the format of your text, as in specifying the font, using italics, etc, in which case you'd probably use HTML. Generally, you'll only use rich text if you're on an Exchange server and sending messages to others in the same organization. Having said all that, I admit that I prefer using rich text as it just works better in Outlook 2003. The real answer is use whatever you prefer. -Peter &qu...

pulling certain characters from a string of text
I need to look up "certain critera" within a string of characters, then return that "certain criterea" to a new column. Some examples of a strings of characters may look like these: K5J091509001 Sample PO#S881009 K55sample PO CarrieRJR TJ5 My "Certain Critera" I have listed on another sheet, named "REP ID" K5J S88 K55 RJR TJ5 How do I pull out the 3 characters of "Certain Criterea" from the string of text and copy or enter it into a new column? Hi, =left(a1,3) "SaraMack" wrote: > I need to look up "c...

text stretching
I have a paragraph that I want to be justified, but not by just spacing the letters apart; rather do it by stretching the font to fit the space. I could do it with my old Publisher, but when I updated to 2003, I can only find a place to stretch where it makes me choose a percentage applied to the whole paragragh...doesn't work...makes some lines jump to the next line, etc Not sure I know what you mean. I've never experienced being able to stretch text. You can use character spacing on a one word at a time basis. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.m...

Changing default font & pitch for textbox/shapes
Hi guys, xl97. How can the default font & pitch (Arial 10) for textboxes or shapes be changed? TIA Max There are two textboxes. One from the drawing toolbar and one from the controltoolbox toolbar. I put a textbox from the drawing toolbar on a worksheet. I entered some text and then right clicked on the textbox border and chose Format text box. One of the tabs was Font where I could the work. (I could also highlight the text within the textbox and rightclick and choose format text box. Only the Font tab appeared--where I could do the work.) When I put a textbox from the cont...

Using Excel for Text Only?
I am currently an independent contractor who has been doing basically word processing and report preparation for one of my clients using WordPerfect as their standard format. These are text-only reports and include no numerical data, i.e., pretty much just straight "typing" of narrative. They have now decided to attempt to do these reports in Excel, from what I understand merely to be able to transmit the reports electronically. I have never used Excel at all up to this point, I am not familiar with it in any application, but from what I do know about it and have read ab...

Text box
Hi I'm very new to access so sorry if this is a very silly question! I have created a form but one of the text boxes will only let me enter about 10-15 characters in the form view. When I put it in the design view I can write a lot more. How do i change it so I can write as much as i want in form view?? thank you Your textbox is probably link to a table right? If so, the textbox has the same limitation as your table field. If you set the maximum caractere to 10 in your table, you will not be able to type more then that in your textbox. Hope it will help -- Yanick "Fi...

Importing text file #2
I am importing a rather larger text file into excel, the entire thing will not import onto one sheet. How do I import what did not fit onto the first sheet without reimporting what I just imported You can slice it into several text files offline. Copy the code at the end of this message into Notepad and save it with a .VBS extension. Double-click it to run. -- Jim Rech Excel MVP "Jillianno" <Jillianno@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F387E681-1D4A-424E-8E00-7A9F4A14E565@microsoft.com... |I am importing a rather larger text file into excel, the entire t...

Creating light text in Excel using XP
I am attempting to print a spreadsheet from Excel using Office XP professional. I have made the text light grey, but it WILL NOT print grey ONLY black. If I print from another computer using Windows 98, it prints correctly. HELP!!! Check your printer options - May be set to print black and white? -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03 ------------------------------�------------------------------�---------------- It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission :-) -----------------------------...

There should be a shortcut icon for "wrap text"
There is an icon for almost every other formatting function, and wrap text is one I use continually, but there's no shortcut and it takes several steps each time. Terri You could put this code into your personal.xls and assign a shortcut key or custom toolbar button to it, trhis will make it one-press Sub WrapText() Dim myCell As Range For Each myCell In Selection myCell.WrapText = True Next myCell End Sub -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS "Terri@Lear" <Terri@Lear@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in...

Paste Special as Text
I have a small program that drops text from a Word table into Excel using Paste Special as Text. Although Paste Special as Text should insert the contents of the clipboard as text without any formatting this does not appear to be happening as it did with Excel 2000 . Excel 2003 splits the data when it meets a New Line or Carriage Return and drops anything after it down to row below. Any ideas what is causing this behaviour Thanks for your assistance Phil ...

Create Auto Text in Excel?
I want to be able to add the following function (=RIGHT(CELL("filename",A1),LEN(CELL("filename",A1))-FIND("]",CELL("filename ",A1),1))) into any excel sheet that I'm working on like you can do in Word with Auto Text insert. I think I should be able to do this with a macro but I can't figure out how to do it. Any help much appreciated. Cheers Lee First, you can shorten the formula a bit and reduce the number of function calls by using =MID(CELL("filename",A1),FIND("]",CELL("filename",A1))+1,32) XL doesn&...

converting results from formula to text in a new column
I have a column that I have a formula in. I want to take the results of the formula and copy it into a new column so I can copy it as text. Thanks. There is a little trick: Say A1 has =1+1 first format B1 as Text second select A1 and do a copy third select B1 and paste/special as value B1 will contain 2 as a piece of text. -- Gary's Student "nodotdak" wrote: > I have a column that I have a formula in. I want to take the results of the > formula and copy it into a new column so I can copy it as text. Thanks. thanks. it worked. "Gary''s Stude...

formatting text/numbers
I have entries in a column that are listed as a "credit" (ie. $1234CR). I want to reformat these entries as -$1234 so that calculations can be done correctly. Any ideas? What about TRIM and multiply by -1? try ="-"&MID(D1,2,LEN(D1)-3) -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "DAVID MCCLOSKEY" <dmccloskey@verizon.net> wrote in message news:WJesb.29415$E9.2182@nwrddc01.gnilink.net... > I have entries in a column that are listed as a "credit" (ie. $1234CR). I > want to reformat these entries as -$1234 so that calculations ...

Change listbox text size in Excel 2007
Using data validation list box function to display a named range, How can the text size be increased when displayed in the list box, How can the number of records displayed be increased from the default This can not be done. See link for further detail and possible workarounds: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal08.html#Font -- Best Regards, Luke M *Remember to click "yes" if this post helped you!* "Maxwell Crompton" wrote: > Using data validation list box function to display a named range, > How can the text size be increased when displayed in ...

Adding texture to Access forms
How do you add texture to the background of Microsoft Access forms? Arturo wrote: > How do you add texture to the background of Microsoft Access forms? With the Picture property of the form. Set it to an image file that gives the "texture" you want. -- Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP Email (as appropriate) to... RBrandt at Hunter dot com ...

Convert number to text
Hi, Please help me on how to convert a number to text. Example: 1050.55 convert in text. Please give me a formula or function that automatically convert it to text. Thanks for a big help! Cecile ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

Text Files in Excel : keep strings
Hi ! I have to convert text files so as they can be read properly by excel. If there was no problem to indicate correctly cells (with tabulation) and to represent numbers properly, it still remains one : There are some numbers I would like to be treated as text, but excel treats them as numbers (strange isn't it ?? ;D). I thought I had found a solution by inserting a " before these numbers (like "1543074 for example), but unhappily, Excel doesn't treat the tabs properly after that and the solution is worse than the illness. You will tell me that I just have to select the co...

Converting from Excel to text w/o quotes (" ")
When converting from excel to tab delimited text format, The text file automatically padded with open & end quotes ( " ") if any of the cell has a comma (,). Is there any way to convert to text w/o the quotes i.e. to reflect exactly what it is in excel? Apprecaite your Advice. Thank you The quotes come from having characters in the cells that could be misinterpreted (i.e. commas, slashes, ?'s). There's a "great" knowledge base article on microsoft's website that I've never gotten to work properly. Instead, I used a program called text-write at: ...

Exchange 2010 Disclaimer HTML/Plain Text

Remove text "Discount code: **" from receipt??
Hello, I have a weird problem within a receipt. I got two registers, with different receipt.xml linked. Register 1 prints on the receipt the text "Discountcode: ***" when an item is sold with discount. Register 2 doesn't print this text, even if I use the same receipt format?? I can't get what the problem is? Hope somebody can help me. Greetings Raymond Bakker the Netherlands Are you using windows drivers on one of the printers? "Raymond Bakker" <raymond.bakker@rebus-it.nl> wrote in message news:1C61DF7A-1E93-4BD2-ABDF-46731BDC9B25@microsoft.com.....

importing .csv file as text with line breaks preserved
This is an OpenPGP/MIME signed message (RFC 2440 and 3156) --------------enig586B1CBB78607B22F70A4995 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit I'm trying to import a .csv file where some fields are numbers with leading zeros, and others have embedded line breaks. If I name the file with the .csv extension, the line breaks within fields are preserved, but the leading zeros are missing because every field is interpreted as General instead of Text. If I name the file with the .txt extension, I can manually change fields to Text as appropriate, but I can...