Import text file using a wildcard

I am running the following code to import all text files that all start with
the same 12 characters:
' Set the parameters to import the text file
       If Right(Me!txtFilePath, 1) = "\" Then
          strPath = \\mdb8\Global
       Else
          strPath = \\mdb8\Global& "\"
       End If
strFileName = "GlobalImport*.txt"

If FileExists(strPath & strFileName) = False Then
          msgbox "File " & strPath & strFileName & " Does not exist!",
vbCritical + vbOKOnly, "No File..."
          GoTo ExitImport
       Else
          GetName = Dir(strPath & strFileName)
       End If
'Does file name exist in directory
Public Function FileExists(FName As String) As Boolean
On Error GoTo Err_FileExists
   FileExists = False
   FileExists = (Dir(FName) <> "")
Exit_FileExists:
   Exit Function
Err_FileExists:
   Select Case Err.Number
   Case 76
      FileExists = False
      Resume Exit_FileExists
   Case Else
      msgbox Err.Number & vbCrLf & Err.Description, , "FileExistError"
      Resume Exit_FileExists
   End Select
End Function

When I run the code it will not return any of the text files located in
"//mdb8/Global".  However, if I add a drive letter it works.  This is not
practical since I am referencing a network drive.  Any ideas on how I can get
about this???

Thanks
Database girl
access 16762 articles. 2 followers. Follow

If you can't use a mapped drive letter, then try a UNC
(\\server\share\folder\file)

Alternatively, you can use the code from
http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0003.htm at "The Access Web" to determine
which drive letter is mapped to the share.

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

"Database girl" <Databasegirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am running the following code to import all text files that all start
>with
> the same 12 characters:
> ' Set the parameters to import the text file
>       If Right(Me!txtFilePath, 1) = "\" Then
>          strPath = \\mdb8\Global
>       Else
>          strPath = \\mdb8\Global& "\"
>       End If
> strFileName = "GlobalImport*.txt"
>
> If FileExists(strPath & strFileName) = False Then
>          msgbox "File " & strPath & strFileName & " Does not exist!",
> vbCritical + vbOKOnly, "No File..."
>          GoTo ExitImport
>       Else
>          GetName = Dir(strPath & strFileName)
>       End If
> 'Does file name exist in directory
> Public Function FileExists(FName As String) As Boolean
> On Error GoTo Err_FileExists
>   FileExists = False
>   FileExists = (Dir(FName) <> "")
> Exit_FileExists:
>   Exit Function
> Err_FileExists:
>   Select Case Err.Number
>   Case 76
>      FileExists = False
>      Resume Exit_FileExists
>   Case Else
>      msgbox Err.Number & vbCrLf & Err.Description, , "FileExistError"
>      Resume Exit_FileExists
>   End Select
> End Function
>
> When I run the code it will not return any of the text files located in
> "//mdb8/Global".  However, if I add a drive letter it works.  This is not
> practical since I am referencing a network drive.  Any ideas on how I can
> get
> about this???
>
> Thanks
> Database girl

0
Douglas
6/27/2007 1:37:35 PM
A different approach would be to use a drive letter you know is available on
every machine like P: using the shell command

Shell "net use P: \\server\foldername"

then you could reference the drive letter.

I sure this is not as good as Doug's answer.

"Database girl" wrote:

> I am running the following code to import all text files that all start with
> the same 12 characters:
> ' Set the parameters to import the text file
>        If Right(Me!txtFilePath, 1) = "\" Then
>           strPath = \\mdb8\Global
>        Else
>           strPath = \\mdb8\Global& "\"
>        End If
> strFileName = "GlobalImport*.txt"
>
> If FileExists(strPath & strFileName) = False Then
>           msgbox "File " & strPath & strFileName & " Does not exist!",
> vbCritical + vbOKOnly, "No File..."
>           GoTo ExitImport
>        Else
>           GetName = Dir(strPath & strFileName)
>        End If
> 'Does file name exist in directory
> Public Function FileExists(FName As String) As Boolean
> On Error GoTo Err_FileExists
>    FileExists = False
>    FileExists = (Dir(FName) <> "")
> Exit_FileExists:
>    Exit Function
> Err_FileExists:
>    Select Case Err.Number
>    Case 76
>       FileExists = False
>       Resume Exit_FileExists
>    Case Else
>       msgbox Err.Number & vbCrLf & Err.Description, , "FileExistError"
>       Resume Exit_FileExists
>    End Select
> End Function
>
> When I run the code it will not return any of the text files located in
> "//mdb8/Global".  However, if I add a drive letter it works.  This is not
> practical since I am referencing a network drive.  Any ideas on how I can get
> about this???
>
> Thanks
> Database girl
Doug,

I had forgotten to put in the share name when I referenced the strpath in my
code.  Silly me!

Thanks for your help.

"Douglas J. Steele" wrote:

> If you can't use a mapped drive letter, then try a UNC
> (\\server\share\folder\file)
>
> Alternatively, you can use the code from
> http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0003.htm at "The Access Web" to determine
> which drive letter is mapped to the share.
>
> --
> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
> http://I.Am/DougSteele
> (no e-mails, please!)
>

> "Database girl" <Databasegirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am running the following code to import all text files that all start
> >with
> > the same 12 characters:
> > ' Set the parameters to import the text file
> >       If Right(Me!txtFilePath, 1) = "\" Then
> >          strPath = \\mdb8\Global
> >       Else
> >          strPath = \\mdb8\Global& "\"
> >       End If
> > strFileName = "GlobalImport*.txt"
> >
> > If FileExists(strPath & strFileName) = False Then
> >          msgbox "File " & strPath & strFileName & " Does not exist!",
> > vbCritical + vbOKOnly, "No File..."
> >          GoTo ExitImport
> >       Else
> >          GetName = Dir(strPath & strFileName)
> >       End If
> > 'Does file name exist in directory
> > Public Function FileExists(FName As String) As Boolean
> > On Error GoTo Err_FileExists
> >   FileExists = False
> >   FileExists = (Dir(FName) <> "")
> > Exit_FileExists:
> >   Exit Function
> > Err_FileExists:
> >   Select Case Err.Number
> >   Case 76
> >      FileExists = False
> >      Resume Exit_FileExists
> >   Case Else
> >      msgbox Err.Number & vbCrLf & Err.Description, , "FileExistError"
> >      Resume Exit_FileExists
> >   End Select
> > End Function
> >
> > When I run the code it will not return any of the text files located in
> > "//mdb8/Global".  However, if I add a drive letter it works.  This is not
> > practical since I am referencing a network drive.  Any ideas on how I can
> > get
> > about this???
> >
> > Thanks
> > Database girl

Importing messages #6

Import and export

Importing data

Opening Lotus *.123 files in Excel
Is there a convertion filter for opening Lotus *.123 files in Excel. I can convert *.wk? files, but I am unable to open *.123 (Lotus 1-2-3 Release 9 for Windows) files "Jim Warren" <Jim Warren@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote... >Is there a convertion filter for opening Lotus *.123 files in Excel. >I can convert *.wk? files, but I am unable to open *.123 (Lotus 1-2-3 >Release 9 for Windows) files The .wk? file formats predated Microsoft securing +90% market share, so way back then they had to compete in terms of interoperability. The .123 file format came after Mi...

excel 97 xml import

PUBLISHER TEXT BOX PROBLEMS
HOW DO I MAKE THE BACKGROUND OF A TEXT BOX BLACK AND THE WRITING WHITE? I CAN ONLY SEEM TO MAKE THE WHOLE PAGE BLACK. Three steps are needed. #1 Replace or fix your keyboard so it isn't stuck on Caps Lock. #2 Select the text frame and then color it black. #3 With the text frame selected, use Ctrl-A to highlight all text and click on the text color icon to choose white. -- Ron "cataloguemaker" <cataloguemaker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CCAF0C9F-1FE2-4A76-9431-CCB37FFCFF68@microsoft.com... > HOW DO I MAKE THE BACKGROUND OF A TEXT BOX BLACK AND ...

Importing JEs through the Table Import

Using multiple Like(s) * in a query
Hi Just a quick one, is there a way of selecting using Like* multiple times in a query in a similar way to using IN e.g. IN("a","b","c") rather than having to use multiple OR statements? Thanks for any suggestions Paul Paul, Using your example: Like "[a-c]*" .... or: Like "[a,b,c]*" -- Steve Schapel, Microsoft Access MVP paulquinlan100@hotmail.com wrote: > Hi > > Just a quick one, is there a way of selecting using Like* multiple > times in a query in a similar way to using IN e.g. IN("a","b","c"...

Use of CString key in CMap
Hi I have a question about the use of CString as a key in a CMap. Is that okay? I want to get an object using a string name. Is that okay or will I sometime get the wrong object because the haskey could be the same for two different strings? CMap<CString, CString &, csomecobject, csomecobject &> m_map csomecobject; This hash key I found in CodeGuru, but I am not able to see if it is a good has key. template<> inline UINT AFXAPI HashKey<CString&> (CString& strKey) { LPCSTR key = strKey; UINT nHash = 0; while (*key) { nHash = (nHash<<5) ...

Importing Dynamic data

recover damaged excel file
I have a workbook creater with Excel 2000 just a few days ago but there's no way to open it. Coud anyone give me any suggestion? Hi, what message do you get?, ask your IT department usually they backup all the files, did you send the file to somebody? "Nora_Italy" wrote: > I have a workbook creater with Excel 2000 just a few days ago but there's no > way to open it. Coud anyone give me any suggestion? Thank you Eduardo. I don't get any error message, the file just doesn't open. Unfortunatately we backup files only once a month and I created...

Capturing "text" instead of the formula
I have the following code snippet: Pass = 0 Fail = 0 For i = 9 To (ZeroRow - 3) Step 8 If Cells(i, "H").Value = Pass Then Pass = Pass + 1 Else Fail = Fail + 1 End If Next The cells I'm referring to actually have formulas in them but when you look at the worksheet the cells have either "Pass" or "Fail" in them. That's what I'm trying to capture. But when I run this code it doesn't see "Pass" in any of the cells so all of them in the for loop get assigned to Fail. I've tried putting t...

Importing a CSV file

Make a complete list of words from texts in a range
Hey guys - again :) My challenge today is as follow: Sheet = "TEXT" In column A i have several celles with texts/comments - words/ sentences I want to split all the texts into singel words and make a word-list of all used words of this column A - and copy the words into a new sheet (sheet = "WORDS") column A as my complete word-list. I have no idea of how to do this. After producing this word-list I will remove the doublettes and sort it - this of course I CAN do bmy own "skills". Will anyone please help me? Kindly regards Snoopy On Fri, 27 ...

Import DB from CRM 1.2 to 3.0

Back up file function no longer works
Although we have previously had no problem with running a backup of our Money 2002 file on file close, we now get an error message saying that "The operation cannot be performed." The filename is the same it always was. Any ideas? ...

Watermark behind text in the footer?
Hello Excel experts! I'm working on a spreadsheet of about 50 pages in Excel 2003. Ideally, the client would like each page to have a footer with a number 1, 2, 3, etc... in the bottom right hand corner...identifying his content. These are not page numbers he wants, just a simple numbering sequence. I can handle THAT part! LOL What he'd also like is a watermark type of graphic to sit *behind* each number. For example, let's say that he'd like each number super-imposed onto a maple leaf background. I've managed to get the maple leaf background (graphic) to sit on eit...

File Size
Please note that this is not your typical file size question. I have a macro-enabled Excel 2007 file that varies in size from 15-100Mb depending on how much data I populate it with. Every day, in order to email this file out, I alter it by doing the following: Select all tabs (11 in all). Select all cells Copy/Paste Values Delete 5 of the tabs Save as a new Excel Workbook (not macro enabled) The new file size is now roughly 600Kb. However, all of a sudden, the changed file is about 2Mb. I made sure to delete all the excess rows/columns. I deleted the one macro that I h...

importing email

import pdf table

log files in folder MDBDATA
is it safe to delete the log files that's in the folder MDBDATA? fanman36 wrote: > is it safe to delete the log files that's in the folder MDBDATA? This files will be deleted automatically after performing a full backup with NTBackup. They are used for recovery. -- Dana http://www.woodcontour.com Solid wood and stone PC Peripherals On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 22:15:01 -0700, "fanman36" <fanman36@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >is it safe to delete the log files that's in the folder MDBDATA? No, you should not manually delete those files. Use an Exchange awar...