Import delimited text to project

I'm trying to import a small text file (2 columns, 14 rows, tab-
separated) into an pre-created table in an Access 2003 project
(connected to SQL Server 2000 back-end).

This works fine interactively, but I cannot get it to go
programmatically. I've tried using TransferText in a macro, and
RunCode in a macro calling a VBA function.

If I omit column names from the 1st line of the input .txt file,
Access complains that the target table doesn't have a column called
'F1' (which is true if unhelpful). If I try to make life easy for it
by renaming my table columns to 'F1' and 'F2', however, it complains
that the table has no column 'F3'! This game could go on a long
time....

Another line of attack was to include the column names as the 1st line
of the input .txt file, and specify 'Yes' as the 5th parameter to the
TransferText action. This gives an error 'Field <column1>_<column2>
doesn't exist in destination table', which again is true, but shows
that the tab isn't being read as a field delimiter.

I thought it might help if I created an import specification, and
quoted that as the 2nd parameter to my TransferText action. However,
the Import Wizard always has the 'Save As...' button greyed out
(unlike with an Access .mdb database).

I can try a different delimiter, and not pre-creating the table, but
I'm running out of options fast. Has anyone encountered similar
problems and succeeded in circumventing them?

Cheers,

Dave

access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Import and export

Importing messages #6

Importing data

excel 97 xml import

Importing JEs through the Table Import

PUBLISHER TEXT BOX PROBLEMS
HOW DO I MAKE THE BACKGROUND OF A TEXT BOX BLACK AND THE WRITING WHITE? I CAN ONLY SEEM TO MAKE THE WHOLE PAGE BLACK. Three steps are needed. #1 Replace or fix your keyboard so it isn't stuck on Caps Lock. #2 Select the text frame and then color it black. #3 With the text frame selected, use Ctrl-A to highlight all text and click on the text color icon to choose white. -- Ron "cataloguemaker" <cataloguemaker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CCAF0C9F-1FE2-4A76-9431-CCB37FFCFF68@microsoft.com... > HOW DO I MAKE THE BACKGROUND OF A TEXT BOX BLACK AND ...

Importing Dynamic data

Capturing "text" instead of the formula
I have the following code snippet: Pass = 0 Fail = 0 For i = 9 To (ZeroRow - 3) Step 8 If Cells(i, "H").Value = Pass Then Pass = Pass + 1 Else Fail = Fail + 1 End If Next The cells I'm referring to actually have formulas in them but when you look at the worksheet the cells have either "Pass" or "Fail" in them. That's what I'm trying to capture. But when I run this code it doesn't see "Pass" in any of the cells so all of them in the for loop get assigned to Fail. I've tried putting t...

delimiting w/multiple delimiters?
I have a large database I use that has our item numbers and quantities in the same cell (example: PRODUCTA Q100, and PRODUCTA Q200, etc). It works for me to use the quantities for formula later by doing the "text to columns" and delimiting by Q. Problem is, sometimes the product name also has a Q in it so the delimiting function seperates it incorrectly. Like: Works: cell A: PRODUCTA Q100 turns to-- cell A: PRODUCTA cell B: 100 Doesn't work when: cell F: PRODUCTQA Q100 turns to-- cell A: PRODUCT cell B: A cell C:100 The LAST Q# is always the one I w...

Importing a CSV file

Make a complete list of words from texts in a range
Hey guys - again :) My challenge today is as follow: Sheet = "TEXT" In column A i have several celles with texts/comments - words/ sentences I want to split all the texts into singel words and make a word-list of all used words of this column A - and copy the words into a new sheet (sheet = "WORDS") column A as my complete word-list. I have no idea of how to do this. After producing this word-list I will remove the doublettes and sort it - this of course I CAN do bmy own "skills". Will anyone please help me? Kindly regards Snoopy On Fri, 27 ...

Import DB from CRM 1.2 to 3.0

importing email

Watermark behind text in the footer?
Hello Excel experts! I'm working on a spreadsheet of about 50 pages in Excel 2003. Ideally, the client would like each page to have a footer with a number 1, 2, 3, etc... in the bottom right hand corner...identifying his content. These are not page numbers he wants, just a simple numbering sequence. I can handle THAT part! LOL What he'd also like is a watermark type of graphic to sit *behind* each number. For example, let's say that he'd like each number super-imposed onto a maple leaf background. I've managed to get the maple leaf background (graphic) to sit on eit...

import pdf table

Field missing upon XML import

Excel 2003

Import / date questions
Hi I have imported a lot of email (15,000) from Thunderbird > converted from mbox > .eml - dragged the email into Outlook express and then imported into Outlook2003. All has worked fine ish- but a lot of messages have the "received" field set as todays date / time. If I select the "sent" field that is correct. Is there anyway to reset the date on an email message in outlook (ideally on mass) - what is the difference between the Sent field and the received field ? Thanks Hi Just did a check, and the data in outlook express is correct. Its when I did the impor...

Removing Text Spaces
I imported an email list. The only content in a cell is the the email address followed by and space and then the recipient's name in parentheses. Each address has several spaces before it. How can I eliminate those spaces? I cannot just delete spaces, because of the space between the email address and the first parentheses and because of the space between the recipient's first and last name. =TRIM(A1) -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "mcp6453" <mcp6453@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:u7qtqxApFHA.2472@tk2msftngp13.phx....

importing a cell value
I need to import a cell values from an un-opened .xls using a variable address ie cell A34 = the location of the .xls on our server (j:\121213\Drafting\Quants\) "105 White Ant" = the name of the .xls B3 = the cell I need to import C6 = value(A34+"105 White Ant"+B3) Any help or advice would be hugely appriciated Sorry I should also have specified that I want to avoid the use of macros. "Kristian G" wrote: > I need to import a cell values from an un-opened .xls using a variable address > ie > cell A34 = the location of the .xls on our ...

Need a utility to import mail to Outlook via print dialog... or some other way to import proprietary messages into Outlook.
Hello, We need to migrate 100s of proprietary PSTs from a little-known mail system to Outlook/Exchange but the file format of the PSTs is binary, proprietary and undocumented. One option is to leave the PSTs and let the users consult them in offline mode forever. The problem there is that they wouldn't be able to reply to or forward the messages, only read or print them. Not very user-friendly, they have GBs of mail in them. Has anyone seen an application which lets you print a message into an Outlook mail message, much like you print to a PDF file? Any other suggestions for workarounds...