How to share Access Database in local area network

Dear Sir,

I created a DB using Access 2003 and still working on it. how can i use my
DB by many users in the same time with out locking the Database. when i did
before, an error message appears every time from the other comuter showing
that can not creat lock file!!
could you please show me the appropiate way of sharing the DB file?
access 16762 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Each user requires at least Read, Write and eXecute permission on the folder
where the MDB (or MDE) file is located. (Delete is usually recommended as
well, but isn't 100% necessary: not having it will mean that the location
file--the .LDB file--will not get deleted when the last user disconnects
from the database). If you're using a share, check the permissions for both
the share and the folder.

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

"Ziad Kareem" <Ziad Kareem@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Dear Sir,
>
> I created a DB using Access 2003 and still working on it. how can i use my
> DB by many users in the same time with out locking the Database. when i
> did
> before, an error message appears every time from the other comuter showing
> that can not creat lock file!!
> could you please show me the appropiate way of sharing the DB file?

0
Douglas
1/3/2008 5:46:22 PM
If by "working on it" you mean making changes to the design, you can't. With
some very old versions of Access you could, but not any more.

That leaves three possibilities:

1. Come into work late at night and on weekends when no one else is using
it. Don't laugh. I worked on New Years Day for that reason.

2. Kick off all users and open the database exclusively to do your work.

3. Usually the best: Create a development environment where you make changes
to the database and test them before putting into production. For this to
work you need to split the database so that you can just swap out the Front
End to the users without losing data in the tables. It really, really helps
if you have figured out your data normalization and tables first so that you
don't have to mess with the back end database much.

Now if you mean doing routine things like adding records and running
reports, that's much simpler.

1. All users of the database must have at least read, write, create, delete
(or modify) privileges to the folder holding the database file. Not just the
database .mdb file, but the entire folder.

2. Open the database and go to Tools, Options, and Advanced Tab. Set the
Default Open mode to Shared and the Default Record Locking to Edited Record.
(While you are in the Options area, go over to the General tab and turn off
Compact on Close and Name AutoCorrect. Trust me on this.)
--
Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP

"Ziad Kareem" wrote:

> Dear Sir,
>
> I created a DB using Access 2003 and still working on it. how can i use my
> DB by many users in the same time with out locking the Database. when i did
> before, an error message appears every time from the other comuter showing
> that can not creat lock file!!
> could you please show me the appropiate way of sharing the DB file?
update your old one with a new one more formats
"Ziad Kareem" <Ziad Kareem@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Dear Sir,
>
> I created a DB using Access 2003 and still working on it. how can i use my
> DB by many users in the same time with out locking the Database. when i
> did
> before, an error message appears every time from the other comuter showing
> that can not creat lock file!!
> could you please show me the appropiate way of sharing the DB file?

0
ian

accessing another users mailbox from administrator account.
How can access someonle else mailbox from Administrators account throug OWA. i have no problem to accesss this from out look. thanks in advance. When going to OWA specify the mailbox you want to get into in the URL, for instance http://<servername>/exchange/<mailbox alias>. Then put your admin account and password in the logon screen. -Peter "thushya" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9e8201c486e5$97ed4a80$a501280a@phx.gbl... > How can access someonle else mailbox from Administrators > account throug OWA. > i have no problem t...

Mapping network drive...
Is there a way to map a network drive in a macro? "Gojavid" <david.lachowsky@gmail.com> wrote... >Is there a way to map a network drive in a macro? Shell "net use x: \\computername\directory\subdirectory\..." One more: Option Explicit Sub testme() Dim res As Variant res = TryToMapIt("G", "\\myserver\mypath") If res = True Then MsgBox "it worked" Else MsgBox res End If End Sub Function TryToMapIt(myDrive, NewPath) As Variant Dim FixedIt As Variant Dim FSO As Object Dim...

Accessing Document class from CPropertySheet
How do I access the document from a Property Sheet/Property Page or Dialog? William, > How do I access the document from a Property Sheet/Property Page or Dialog? Pass document's pointer in your property sheet class's constructor. -- Regards, Kobi Ben Tzvi "William Gower" <w_gower@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:ufVxpphgDHA.1932@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > How do I access the document from a Property Sheet/Property Page or Dialog? > > ...

Shared folders on a shared exchange 2003
I have a shared exchange 2003 where deferent company�s have there mails. But how do I make a shared public folder for each company? The public folders may not be visible for other then the people in the actual company. /C COZ <kofo@spamspamspam.org> wrote: >I have a shared exchange 2003 where deferent company�s have there mails. >But how do I make a shared public folder for each company? >The public folders may not be visible for other then the people in the >actual company. Make sure the "client permissions" you assign to the folder doesn't include the &...

Accessing web mail...
Hello world. Hello all, I'm experiencing a problem accessing OWA as of last week, when the web page opens, the users inputs there credentials and press Enter error appears and it returns to the logins pages. ERROR: 'You could not be logged on to Outlook Web Access. Make sure your domain\user name and password are correct, and then try again. ' this recently started, allow anonymous login set on this page. I'm not sure what is being over looked, Can anyone help? I have never had to do this, but it might help you. http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Fixing-Damaged-Incorre...

Can I link Word files to an Access table?
We're going to use Access for reporting purposes, and one of the things we need to do as part of that reporting is to maintain management approvals (always in a Notes or Word file). Is it possible to add Notes or Word attachments into an Access table record (with the understanding that each record will have to have several of these approvals)? If not, is there a way to link files to a particular record?Many thanks for whatever advice you can offer....

Sharing Calendar, can you share contacts too?
We have an administrative secretary, who maintains 3 high level administrator's calendars... we use outlook 2003 with exchange 2003, she opens their shared calendars and edits them... Maybe I'm overlooking a really simple answer... but is there a way she could similarly edit their personal address books (they all use palm pilots and want their own individual contact lists).... Any ideas appreciated... Thanks! Sure, just need to delegate rights to those folders and she can "Open Other user's Folder" and choose Contacts. "Ken Montgomery" <KenMontg...

Shared Workbook Query
Hi, I have set up a shared workbook for 20+ users. I am aware that share workbooks in Excel (I have version 2002) have limited functionality an that you cannot for example merge cells. However, if there are merged cells in another worksheet and someon wants to copy across text (which includes merged cells) into the share workbook it removes the merged formatting. At present I have to take the share off the workbook and then cop across the data (which includes merged cells) then reshare the workboo so that the formatting is maintained. Is there any other way around this problem so that peo...

Transfering Word Doc tables into a Excel Database
Hi, Could anyone tell me whether or not it is possible to easily import a batch of word documents which includs data in tables into a excel .xls file? I have thousands of files that need to be put into a new database. Hope anyone can answer? Thank You ...

Sharing Outlook between profiles?
I am running a 2k server (no exchange server) and need the laptops that connect into the domain to be able to view and send emails when connected, and when disconnected. The laptops have just been reloaded after using Novell. The advantage of the novell client was that it used the same local profile for connecting into the domain, and when using the workstation only. With the 2k server however, it uses one profile for the domain, and one for the local workstation. This is where Outlook 2000 is falling over... Please help... ...

Access Reports Disappear
I had a database that I had used for years with no problem. Lately I've noticed that some of the reports are disappearing. Yet, if I try to create a new report with the same name, Access says "Name conflicts with existing module, project or object library." So, I created a new database. The only thing I imported was the tables from the old database. Yet, I'm having the same problem. Has anyone seen this before? Make sure you have SHOW HIDDEN OBJECTS set to YES. Then take a look around for those "missing" reports... "JG" wrote: > I had a da...

Cannot share calendar
Hi I'm trying to setup a user so that she can view someone else's calendar. I have been able to give her access to other peoples calendars, however i can't give her access to one particular user. even though other people can access that particular users calendar. I have given her all the relevent permissions needed to do so in exchange 2000 and at the target machine, but still an error msg of "you do not have sufficiant permisions to view this item" is given. Don't know what else to do....HELP Thank you Don't grant permissions in the Exchange server its...

Resource sharing error
MS Project 2007 question / assistance needed - I created a separate project file for shared resources, filled in names of resources (techs), hourly rates, etc., etc, then saved the file as (named) "resources". When I try to share those resources in my current project, (tools>resource sharing>Share resources) and select the "resources from" the resources file, each resource then shows up in BOTH project’s resource files. Now all resources are showing up in both projects? Delete unwanted rows from one project, and they're deleted in BOTH projects. What...

calender sharing
I recently upgraded to XP op sys and alongwith it to MS Office 2003. In MS Office 2000, I used to share my private Outlook folders (Calendar, Contacts etc.) with my assistant . With this upgrade to MS Office, I lost the sharing ability. If I right click on any of these components (Calendar, Contacts etc.) the "Sharing" feature is shaded (disabled). How do I share these private folders? If you are talking about NetFolders then this feature was dropped after Outlook 2000 check out http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/share.htm for some options "KAH" <anonymous@discussions.mic...

Connecting to a shared SSRS data source from BIDS
I'm just starting out using BIDS and creating reports in general. I've been using Report Builder and have no trouble accessing a shared SSRS data source by specifying the Report Server (http://<Server>/ReportServer) in the Options...Settings, from there I can view and use any predefined data source in a report. How do I specify in BIDS that I wish to use a preconfigured shared data source from SSRS, I can't see any obvious option. Any advice gratefully received. Thanks David David, Hopefully when you connect your report to a shared datasource in design t...

Sharing the Entourage calendar
Do you know how to share the calendar so my team can view it and my assistant can post items to it? I know there's a save for web function, and if that's the best way to do it, is there a way to automate it so that it saves and uploads to my website? On 7/6/04 11:03 pm, in article fc11fd4e.0406071403.192a07bf@posting.google.com, "Michel" <michel@neray.com> wrote: > Do you know how to share the calendar so my team can view it and my > assistant can post items to it? I know there's a save for web > function, and if that's the best way to do it, is there...

Converting dBase III Plus *.prg file to Access query
Where can I find tips for converting an old dBase III Plus *.prg file into a query. I'm looking for info on translating dBase statements into Access query statements. I'll then paste translated staements into SQL view and be done. Thanks in advance for any help. Wayne Hi Wayne, You'd be better off rewriting prg programs in Access (i.e. escpecially those developed in dBaseIIIPlus). The whole programming philosophy is very different in dBaseIIIPlus: - dBaseIIIPlus is more record-by-record processing as opposed to a set oriented processing in Access. - the user interface is...

Access Labels Maker Doesn't Work
Used to able to make labels from earlier editions of Access w/o any problems. Since updating to "2007" I wind up with messages popping up and little boxes asking for parameter values for Trim even though I use the Label Wizard and would assume "the Wizard" would/should take care of ninty gritty details. I'm a "user" not a developer or programer. How do I fix this problem so I can just print some labels? -- elderuser Open any code window and go to Tools >>> References and look for any marked as "MISSING". If you find any, fi...

Very Slow Access
i have text fields on my database, when i type in text it can be sometimes very slow until it apears on the screen Any idea what could be casuing this That is a classic sign of a slow network or connection. -- Dorian "Give someone a fish and they eat for a day; teach someone to fish and they eat for a lifetime". "Simon" wrote: > i have text fields on my database, when i type in text it can be > sometimes very slow until it apears on the screen > > Any idea what could be casuing this > > . > ...

Convert an Access program to Excel
With help, I created an Access program that I want to convert to an Excel program if possible. Program used Buttons that when hit calculated information input into several boxes and then caused a dialog box to open with a value and a message depending on the value calculated. Would like to know if you can do this same sort of thing in Excel. David Undoubtedly, Excel will be able to do this, but it will need, probably, to be re-written. If the dialogues used were VBA MsgBox and VBA InputBox or MSUserForms it will be easy, as these are common to all office applications, but if they ar...

Needed: a good MS-SQL book for Access users
Can anyone here recommend a good read for an accomplished Access user (my client) to get familiar with MS-SQL? In particular, he will be training others to use Access as a (read-only) front-end reporting tool, so he will probably need a pretty good understanding of views and sprocs that call them. I don't want to overwhelm him, though. Any Access users out there who have a suggestion? TIA--Big Slim "Microsoft Access Developer's Guide to SQL Server" by Mary Chipman and Andy Baron. -- --Roger Carlson www.rogersaccesslibrary.com Reply to: Roger dot Carlson at Spectrum...

RemoteApp is the solution to share .pst files
RemoteApp in Server 2008 is the solution to share .pst files over in local network or the internet! At last, no need for Exchange. ss. Alas, still not supported for .psts on a network share. Use at your own = risk. --=20 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. =20 "Synapse Syndrome" <synapse@NOSPAMsyndrome.me.uk> wrote in message = news:%23sexHtIuIHA.4772@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... RemoteApp in Server 2008 is the solution to share .pst fi...

shared workbook
I have a shared workbook. Once in a while, I cannot uncheck the allow changes by more than one user at the same time. This option in the shared workbook under the tools menu is grayed out. Other times this option is available. Can someone please tell me why this option becomes unavailable. ...

Data Access Page 12-03-09
First, I have built an Access Page from a form. Both the form and the underlying query are updateable. I have set the recordset to Dynaset (inconsistent updates) in the underlying query. I have set the unique table on the DAP and it has a primary key and allow editions is set to yes. I only need data entry in one field. the DAP will not allow data entry. What can I do to solve? ...

Share your Sharing Wisdom
I hope someone can help me out here. In my Outlook I have tons of subordinate folders within Outlook Today and my Inbox. I literally have 104 to be exact. My question is how can I share all of these to another user so they can access EVERYTHING? I know how to give them permission and add my account to their Outlook view but how can I apply permissions to all of the folders instead of doing them one by one? Please help me if you can. I'm scared of the possibility of a daunting task the looms in my forecast. I sincerely appreciate any and all effort one provides in resolving...