How to get Table Description Field Text to show on Forms? Hovering? Right-Click?

Can I get the fioeld description I enter in the Table Design View to
show on Forms or Queries?

When the mouse hovers over the field or field name??

When the user right clicks on the field or field name??

At the bottom of the screen when the mouse hovers?

How?

Thanks for any help.

Mel

0
MyEmailList
4/13/2007 2:36:02 PM
access 16762 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Ken,

I've done some programming but not much in Access.

How do I (where do I click) to add a function to the "standard
module" ???

And, am I correct in understanding that the first function would be
called each time the db opened?

And the 2nd function would be called each time the form opened??

thanks again.

Mel

0
MyEmailList
4/13/2007 6:32:58 PM
Mel:

To add the GetFieldDescription function to a standard module go to the
modules page of the database window and select New.  The VBA editor will open
at a new module with a couple of lines already in place.  Copy the following
code to the clipboard and paste it in immediately below the existing lines in
the module.  The first line form 'Public' to the final 'As String' is all one
line, but might have split into two in your newsgroup reader, so watch out
for this and correct it after pasting in if necessary. Then save the module
under a name of your choice, but not the same name as the function; I
generally give module names a 'bas' prefix, e.g. basUtilities, to avoid any
confusion with other object names.

Public Function GetFieldDescription(strTable As String, strField As String)
As String

    Dim dbs As DAO.Database
    Dim tdf As DAO.TableDef
    Dim fld As DAO.Field

    Set dbs = CurrentDb
    Set tdf = dbs.TableDefs(strTable)
    Set fld = tdf.Fields(strField)

    GetFieldDescription = fld.Properties("Description")

End Function

The second line of code is not part of a function; it goes in each relevant
form's Open event procedure, and you'll need to repeat it for each control
for which you want to show the field description as a tool tip.  So open the
form in design view and open its properties sheet if its not already open.
On the Event tab of the properties sheet select the On Open event property
and click on the 'build' button (the one on the right with 3 dots).  Select
'Code Builder' in the dialogue and OK out.  This will open the VBA editor at
the Open event procedure in the form's class module.  The first and last
lines will be in place already.  Enter variations on the following as new
lines between the existing two, one line for each control in question, and
change the control, table and field names from MyControl, MyTable and MyField
in each line as necessary.  Note again that this should be all one line if
its been split in your reader:

Me.MyControl.ControlTipText = GetFieldDescription("[MyTable]", "[MyField]")

The form's Open event procedure executes when you open a form.  This then
calls the GetFieldDescription function however many times are necessary, i.e.
once for each relevant control, and assigns the value of the relevant field's
Description property to the control's ToolTipText property.  The tool tip
with the appropriate description will then show when a user moves the mouse
pointer over the control.

Functions or procedures in a standard module are not called when the
database opens, but when explicitly called, as above.  Sometimes, however,
you might want a function or procedure to be called immediately when the
database is opened, e.g. to check if links to tables in a shared back end are
still valid.  There are various ways you can do this, e.g. by an autoexec
macro or by including code in the Open event of a form such as a switchboard
set as the database's opening form.

Sometimes you might want other functions or procedures to be called when a
database closes, e.g. to perform some tidying up housework tasks.  A way to
do this id to use a hidden form as the database's opening form and call the
functions or procedures in its Close event procedure.  The form will stay
open, but hidden, throughout the session, but will close when the database
closes, executing its Close event procedure to call the housework functions
or procedures.

Ken Sheridan
Stafford, England

"MyEmailList@gmail.com" wrote:

> Ken,
>
> I've done some programming but not much in Access.
>
> How do I (where do I click) to add a function to the "standard
> module" ???
>
> And, am I correct in understanding that the first function would be
> called each time the db opened?
>
> And the 2nd function would be called each time the form opened??
>
> thanks again.
>
> Mel

You might want to put some error trapping in that function:

Public Function GetFieldDescription( _
  strTable As String, _
  strField As String _
) As String

On Error GoTo Err_GetFieldDescription

Dim dbs As DAO.Database
Dim tdf As DAO.TableDef
Dim fld As DAO.Field
Dim strDesc As String

  Set dbs = CurrentDb
  Set tdf = dbs.TableDefs(strTable)
  Set fld = tdf.Fields(strField)
  strDesc = fld.Properties("Description")

End_GetFieldDescription:
  GetFieldDescription = strDesc
  Exit Function

Err_GetFieldDescription:
' 3265 is "Item Not Found In This Collection"
' (i.e.: either the table name or the field name is incorrect)
' 3270 is "Property Not Found"
' (i.e.: no description was set for the field.)
  Select Case Err.Number
    Case 3265
      strDesc = "Invalid Table or Field name."

      Resume Next
    Case 3270
      strDesc = "No Description found."
      Resume Next
    Case Else
      Err.Raise Err.Number, _
        "GetFieldDescription", _
        Err.Description
      Resume End_GetFieldDescription
  End Select

End Function

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

"Ken Sheridan" <KenSheridan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> do this id to use a hidden form as the database's opening form and call
> the
> functions or procedures in its Close event procedure.  The form will stay
> open, but hidden, throughout the session, but will close when the database
> closes, executing its Close event procedure to call the housework
> functions
> or procedures.
>
> Ken Sheridan
> Stafford, England
>
> "MyEmailList@gmail.com" wrote:
>
>> Ken,
>>
>> I've done some programming but not much in Access.
>>
>> How do I (where do I click) to add a function to the "standard
>> module" ???
>>
>> And, am I correct in understanding that the first function would be
>> called each time the db opened?
>>
>> And the 2nd function would be called each time the form opened??

0
Douglas
4/14/2007 11:34:59 AM
In a situation like this I'd tend to let the error handler in the calling
procedure, i.e. the form's Open event procedure, deal with it.  I'd be
interested to hear your comments on that approach.

Ken Sheridan
Stafford, England

"Douglas J. Steele" wrote:

> [...]
> > do this id to use a hidden form as the database's opening form and call
> > the
> > functions or procedures in its Close event procedure.  The form will stay
> > open, but hidden, throughout the session, but will close when the database
> > closes, executing its Close event procedure to call the housework
> > functions
> > or procedures.
> >
> > Ken Sheridan
> > Stafford, England
> >
> > "MyEmailList@gmail.com" wrote:
> >
> >> Ken,
> >>
> >> I've done some programming but not much in Access.
> >>
> >> How do I (where do I click) to add a function to the "standard
> >> module" ???
> >>
> >> And, am I correct in understanding that the first function would be
> >> called each time the db opened?
> >>
> >> And the 2nd function would be called each time the form opened??

Remove BP tables from Dynamics database
I have a client who is currently running GP 8. I will be upgrading them to GP 10. Back when GP 8 was installed they installed but never used BP. So now the Dynamics database has BP tables in it. I want to completely remove all the BP 2.5 tables so that when I come along to install BP for GP 10 it does not run into any of those old useless BP tables. What is the best way to remove all of the old BP tables? The article 862544 in CustomerSource below includes scripts that should remove the BP SQL objects How to remove Business Portal 2.x https://mbs.microsoft.com/knowledgebase/KbDisplay....

How to change Static Text property in a function?
I want to change Background(forground) Color of a Static Text control in member function. How to do that? sxy7711 wrote: > I want to change Background(forground) Color of a Static Text control in > member function. How to do that? > > See the example in the doc page for OnCtlColor. -- Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP] ...

Using Outlook Custom Forms through OWA
Hi all, Is there any way to implement this? We have an Exchange 2003 server with Sp2. Users out of office hope to use outlook custom forms through OWA. Can this be done? ...

Non US Dollar accounts do not show in Settings for Active Sync
I am currently using Microsoft Money 2006 for both my desktop and my pocket pc device. I am attempting to sync some of my accounts to my pocket pc device. However, it seems that the options for Active Sync is only shows acocunts that are using US Dollar as the currency. I would like to sync accounts that are using Singapore dollars. Any way I can do this? No. You can only synchronize accounts which are in your base currency, which appears to be US Dollars in your case. -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money http://money.mvps.org Check http://money.mvps.org/faq/default.aspx for ...

03Excel shldn't chg col hdrs to nos after text to col, keep alpha
2003 EXCEL: After using text-to-columns, column headers change to numbers, the same as the rows. Afterwards, it's difficult to create formulas to work with in the spread sheets, especially when you want to use absolute references. I looked through help but found no relief. The only way I could figure out how to change them back is to close the workbook, open a previous workbook that has alpha across the top, and then reopen the problem workbook. Excel adopts the first spread sheet's view and carries it over to the problem workbook. Save it then. If anyone else knows a keyb...

Calculating Fields and Manual Input
Hello, Is it possible to have a field that is both calculated or manually inputted?. For example, if field 1 and field 2 has data then calculate field 3. Can we also have the user simply enter the total amount into 3. What I have noticed is if I enter an amount directly into field 3 and field 1 and 2 do not have data the value goes back to 0 (which makes sense) but wondering if there is a way around this. Thanks! On Jul 1, 6:06 am, MDV1457 <MDV1...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hello, > Is it possible to have a field that is both calculated or manually > inputted...

Likert scale calculation
I have used the following table in my survey: Frequency of use - check which on is applicable: every few hours every few mins every few secs item1 item2 item3 .. .. .. item10 so the sample data looks like this: id item1 item 2 ............. item10 1 hours hrs ................. mins 2 secs hrs ................. mins 3 mins hrs ................. mins I want to add up the hours secs mins for each item..for example (from the above sample): ev...

A Crystal Beginner

vlookup and Access Database Table
Can vlookup be used to get a result from an Access Database Table? Thanks. The vlookup function itself is an Excel function and as such can only retrieve data from an excel sheet. However you may be able to use the import external data menu option in the Data menu to retrieve your data from the access database, pull it into your excel workbook and then use the vlookup function. I never tried this myself, but maybe the idea can be applied. -- Jeroen van Nieuwkerk "finster26" wrote: > Can vlookup be used to get a result from an Access Database Table? > > Thanks....

Table formatting lost
I receive emails that started off in Excel as a short table. The sender then cuts and pastes into Outlook. When the message arrives it has lost all formatting for the table. Is there any solution apart from sennding as an Excel attachment? Do the copy as a Picture and then paste in Outlook. -- Gary''s Student - gsnu2007k "him@privacy.net" wrote: > I receive emails that started off in Excel as a short table. The > sender then cuts and pastes into Outlook. When the message arrives it > has lost all formatting for the table. Is there any solution apart > from se...

Get paid while you get online!!

Resetting Autonumber field
Can anyone tell me how I can reset the Autonumber field in my table? Compacting a database with an empty table will do that Pieter "Firz" <Firz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AE025D3B-EF2E-48E8-B7F9-66A442D1AE73@microsoft.com... > Can anyone tell me how I can reset the Autonumber field in my table? Compact and repair will do it. -- "Loose Change 2nd Edition" has been seen by almost 7 million people on Google video "Firz" wrote: > Can anyone tell me how I can reset the Autonumber field in my table? You've already re...

Pivot Table with MS Access as DataSource
Hello all. Thanks for the help in advance. I am trying to use a UNC to pull data from a MS Access database as a external datasource for a pivot table in MS Excel 2003. I can actively pull the data, since I have a network drive mapped to the location, but others who have the drive mapped to another letter are unable to open the document and refresh. I am trying to figure out the best way to create this pivot table utilizing the shared network UNC. Please help! Regards, Me Hello, I would use a SQL query to pull the data out of the Access db. Then everyone can push...

Spreadsheet getting corrupted

Checking specific text string in excel files stored in a folder
Hi, I need to write a code that can do the following: 1) prompt user to select a particular folder 2) search for a particular text string, for e.g., ABCD in all the excel files in that folder (the number of files in the folder will vary and so does the names of the files). Is it possible to specify the string that we want to search on the fly when macro is run? 3) create a simple report that contains the filename in one column and yes / no in the second column that tell me which file names contain that keyword (it will be great if the path of the file can be recorded in the 3rd colum...

Tasks
Hi, I've been trying to edit the Task form so that I can have both a regarding account and a regarding case for each task (by default I can have only one regarding value). Is there some way I can add the system attributes to an entity so I can choose them onto the form. A task form should be like this: Subject Description Account Case User Duration Due by I have one that can be either Account or Case but I'd like to be able to register both. Is this possible? Thanks, Valdimar Valdimar, It is not possible to add relationships between system entities in v3.0, so you ...

How to clear all checkboxes on a form?
That's it. How is it possible to create push-button functionality that resets all checkboxes to empty? Also, is it possible that pushing a button could increase a counter, or light up a first, second and third cell, that would then be reset by the button I asked for above? I thank you for your time. Arlen For Each ctl In Me.Controls If TypeName(ctl) = "CheckBox" Then ctl.Value = False End I Next ctl -- HTH Bob "Arlen" <Arlen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:700CD724-30FB-4D93-AF50-451FB658502...

How do I get??