How to get rows from 4 diff permitations??

Hi All

Wondered if you could help.

I have 2 tables of data like so:

PUPILS

PID    PNAME
1        Fred1
2        Fred2
3        Fred3
4        Fred4

LEVELS

TID    PID   YEAR    TERMID   MATHSLEVEL   READLEVEL
1         1       2006      0               W1                       W2
2         2       2006      0               1B                        W4
3         3       2006      0               W1                       W2
4         4       2006      0               2C                       5A
5         1       2007      1               W1                       W2
6         2       2007      1               1B                        W4
7         3       2007      1               W1                       W2
8         4       2007      1               2C                       5A
9         1       2007      2               W1                       W2
10       2       2007      2               1B                        W4
11       3       2007      2              W1                       W2
12       4       2007      2               2C                       5A
13       1       2007      3               W1                       W2
14       2       2007      3               1B                        W4
15       3       2007      3               W1                       W2
16       4       2007      3               2C                       5A

I link the 2 tables simply by joining the PIDs.

What I need to do is get 1 recordset of data that includes all rows with a
TERMID=0 and YEAR=2006 *and* a TERMID=1 and YEAR=2007 *and* a TERMID=2 and
YEAR=2007 *and* a TERMID=3 and YEAR=2007.

I can get the data quite easily if I do the above as 4 seperate queries, but
I need all of the rows relevant to these 4 permitations in 1 recordset.

I tried putting each permitation in brackets, but Access either didn't
like the brackets or brought back hundreds of duplicate rows.

Any ideas?

0
Yobbo
7/12/2007 8:04:21 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Based on the LEVELS table you gave as an example, you don't have any rows
that have ALL of those condition (condition1 AND condition2 AND ...).

Try using "OR" between those conditions.  You can use separate row in the
selection criteria area.

Don't use square brackets ("[]") around your selection criteria, as this
tells Access to offer up a prompt, displaying what's between the brackets.

If it were me, I'd start out using only a single set of conditions and
getting that to work first, then adding in one more set (on the next row
down in the query design view window), then ...

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Office/Access MVP

"Yobbo" <info@NoSpamIt.com> wrote in message
> Hi All
>
> Wondered if you could help.
>
> I have 2 tables of data like so:
>
> PUPILS
>
> PID    PNAME
> 1        Fred1
> 2        Fred2
> 3        Fred3
> 4        Fred4
>
> LEVELS
>
> TID    PID   YEAR    TERMID   MATHSLEVEL   READLEVEL
> 1         1       2006      0               W1                       W2
> 2         2       2006      0               1B                        W4
> 3         3       2006      0               W1                       W2
> 4         4       2006      0               2C                       5A
> 5         1       2007      1               W1                       W2
> 6         2       2007      1               1B                        W4
> 7         3       2007      1               W1                       W2
> 8         4       2007      1               2C                       5A
> 9         1       2007      2               W1                       W2
> 10       2       2007      2               1B                        W4
> 11       3       2007      2              W1                       W2
> 12       4       2007      2               2C                       5A
> 13       1       2007      3               W1                       W2
> 14       2       2007      3               1B                        W4
> 15       3       2007      3               W1                       W2
> 16       4       2007      3               2C                       5A
>
> I link the 2 tables simply by joining the PIDs.
>
> What I need to do is get 1 recordset of data that includes all rows with a
> TERMID=0 and YEAR=2006 *and* a TERMID=1 and YEAR=2007 *and* a TERMID=2 and
> YEAR=2007 *and* a TERMID=3 and YEAR=2007.
>
> I can get the data quite easily if I do the above as 4 seperate queries,
> but
> I need all of the rows relevant to these 4 permitations in 1 recordset.
>
> I tried putting each permitation in brackets, but Access either didn't
> like the brackets or brought back hundreds of duplicate rows.
>
> Any ideas?

0
Jeff
7/12/2007 10:03:30 PM
Yobbo wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Wondered if you could help.
>
> I have 2 tables of data like so:
>
> PUPILS
>
> PID    PNAME
> 1        Fred1
> 2        Fred2
> 3        Fred3
> 4        Fred4
>
> LEVELS
>
> TID    PID   YEAR    TERMID   MATHSLEVEL   READLEVEL
> 1         1       2006      0               W1                       W2
> 2         2       2006      0               1B                        W4
> 3         3       2006      0               W1                       W2
> 4         4       2006      0               2C                       5A
> 5         1       2007      1               W1                       W2
> 6         2       2007      1               1B                        W4
> 7         3       2007      1               W1                       W2
> 8         4       2007      1               2C                       5A
> 9         1       2007      2               W1                       W2
> 10       2       2007      2               1B                        W4
> 11       3       2007      2              W1                       W2
> 12       4       2007      2               2C                       5A
> 13       1       2007      3               W1                       W2
> 14       2       2007      3               1B                        W4
> 15       3       2007      3               W1                       W2
> 16       4       2007      3               2C                       5A
>
> I link the 2 tables simply by joining the PIDs.
>
> What I need to do is get 1 recordset of data that includes all rows with a
> TERMID=0 and YEAR=2006 *and* a TERMID=1 and YEAR=2007 *and* a TERMID=2 and
> YEAR=2007 *and* a TERMID=3 and YEAR=2007.
>
> I can get the data quite easily if I do the above as 4 seperate queries, but
> I need all of the rows relevant to these 4 permitations in 1 recordset.
>
> I tried putting each permitation in brackets, but Access either didn't
> like the brackets or brought back hundreds of duplicate rows.
>
> Any ideas?

You don't indicate whether the TERMID's keep going up or repeat each
year.  Your query seems to indicate the possibility of repetition of
TERMID's.

If the TERMID's keep going up, simply use:

SELECT * FROM (PUPILS INNER JOIN LEVELS ON PUPILS.PID = LEVELS.PID)
WHERE TERMID BETWEEN 0 AND 3;

or

SELECT * FROM (PUPILS INNER JOIN LEVELS ON PUPILS.PID = LEVELS.PID)
WHERE (TERMID=0 and YEAR=2006) Or (TERMID=1 and YEAR=2007) Or (TERMID=2
and YEAR=2007) Or (TERMID=3 and YEAR=2007);

as Jeff implied.  Note: The queries shown are the text of the SQL View
of the query.

If there are only four TERMID's, each roughly equivalent to a 'quarter,'
then it would be nice to use the DateSerial function to convert
everything into a date range:

For example,

TERMID=0 => '10, 1)'
TERMID=1 => '1, 1)'
TERMID=2 => '4, 1)'
TERMID=3 => '7, 1)'

Note: It is not important that the actual quarters start exactly on the
dates given.

TERMID Y
0 -> 10
1 -> 1
2 -> 4
3 -> 7

if
X Y
1 -> 1
2 -> 4
3 -> 7
4 -> 10

Y = 3 * X - 2

so the first part needs to be adjusted:

1 -> 1 -> 1
2 -> 2 -> 4
3 -> 3 -> 7
0 -> 4 -> 10

IIf(x = 0, 4, X):

1 -> 1
2 -> 2
3 -> 3
0 -> 4

3 * IIf(x = 0, 4, X) - 2

0 -> 10
1 -> 1
2 -> 4
3 -> 7

SELECT * FROM (PUPILS INNER JOIN LEVELS ON PUPILS.PID = LEVELS.PID)
WHERE DateSerial([LEVELS].[Year], 3 * IIf([LEVELS].[TERMID] = 0, 4,
[LEVELS].[TERMID]) - 2, 1) BETWEEN DateSerial(2006, 10, 1) AND
DateSerial(2007, 7, 1) ORDER BY LEVELS.PID, Year, TERMID;

will produce the 16 records you show (TERMID's 0 through 3).

SELECT * FROM (PUPILS INNER JOIN LEVELS ON PUPILS.PID = LEVELS.PID)
WHERE DateSerial([LEVELS].[Year], 3 * IIf([LEVELS].[TERMID] = 0, 4,
[LEVELS].[TERMID]) - 2, 1) BETWEEN DateSerial(2006, 10, 1) AND
DateSerial(2007, 4, 1) ORDER BY LEVELS.PID, Year, TERMID;

will produce the 12 records from TERMID's 0, 1 and 2.

James A. Fortune
MPAPoster@FortuneJames.com
0
James
7/12/2007 10:56:35 PM
Many thanks

This is brill!!!

"James A. Fortune" <MPAPoster@FortuneJames.com> wrote in message
Yobbo wrote:
> [...]

0 -> 4

3 * IIf(x = 0, 4, X) - 2

0 -> 10
1 -> 1
2 -> 4
3 -> 7

SELECT * FROM (PUPILS INNER JOIN LEVELS ON PUPILS.PID = LEVELS.PID)
WHERE DateSerial([LEVELS].[Year], 3 * IIf([LEVELS].[TERMID] = 0, 4,
[LEVELS].[TERMID]) - 2, 1) BETWEEN DateSerial(2006, 10, 1) AND
DateSerial(2007, 7, 1) ORDER BY LEVELS.PID, Year, TERMID;

will produce the 16 records you show (TERMID's 0 through 3).

SELECT * FROM (PUPILS INNER JOIN LEVELS ON PUPILS.PID = LEVELS.PID)
WHERE DateSerial([LEVELS].[Year], 3 * IIf([LEVELS].[TERMID] = 0, 4,
[LEVELS].[TERMID]) - 2, 1) BETWEEN DateSerial(2006, 10, 1) AND
DateSerial(2007, 4, 1) ORDER BY LEVELS.PID, Year, TERMID;

will produce the 12 records from TERMID's 0, 1 and 2.

7/12/2007 11:07:44 PM
Yobbo wrote:
> Many thanks
>
> This is brill!!!

Not quite!  Maybe:

ORDER BY LEVELS.PID, Year, IIf(TERMID = 0, 4, TERMID);

since TERMID = 0 is at the end of the year.  This would have shown up
after another term.

James A. Fortune
MPAPoster@FortuneJames.com
0
James

Filtered Lookups
Hi, I wanted to filter values in one lookup (Lkup2 ) based on the selection made in another lookup (Lkup1) Is there a way I can achieve this without 1 - going for any paid products or 2 - modifying the CRMWeb\_controls\lookup\lookupsingle.aspx page Thank you very much Check this out, it has it http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=634508DC-1762-40D6-B745-B3BDE05D7012&displaylang=en Have a look here: http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet/35418198/how-to-restrick-a-lookup.aspx this thread was about filtering the lookup of "primary contact" to contacts ...

Exporting Excel file into Notepad with column & row lines
I cannot get the horizontal & vertical lines to show up in my notepad file. Help Please. Notepad looks at text. Text doesn't have horizontal & vertical lines. You can, of course, use underscore characters _ to look like a horizontal line, and pipe characters | to look like a vertical line. -- David Biddulph "JIVL" <JIVL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:232B20B7-2719-47ED-A2C3-5673B8FCA925@microsoft.com... >I cannot get the horizontal & vertical lines to show up in my notepad file. > Help Please. ...

CRM 4 bulk email
I am trying to send bulk email from the quick campaigns, everything looks good - but when I go to System settings it gives me a 'send pending' message, as if I need to 'do' something else. I've checked the box to auto send on completion. Anyone else having this problem? -- Jen This is ok for a short time. emails are not send directly - this is a task of the asynchronous service of crm. and: sometimes the email-router is a bit ... slow. there is a patch around to speed it up: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/952019/en-us ...

Automatic Numbering Rows
Hi all... Can't find how do to this using Excel 2003... I want to be able to have Excel automatically number rows (in the first column) that have text on them...but skip numbering rows without...and adjust the numbering if new rows get added in later. (I guess something similar to Bullets and Numbering in Word). Here's an example of what I want if I'm not making myself clear... 1. Text Here 2. Text Here 3. Text Here (Empty row...no text) 4. Text Here 5. Text Here (Empty row...no text) 6. Text Here etc.. Then...let's say...at a later date...I inserted a new row under...

Copy row2 cells down to last cell where the whole row isn't all blank
Hi Colo, I tried to run your code to copy formula in cell K2 (I place the cursor on cell K2) down to last cell in column K, it doesn't copy down the formula. Is there anything missing from the code ? Please help and thanks very much! Sub Cell2CopyToEnd() Dim col As Long col = ActiveCell.column Range(Cells(2, col), Cells(Rows.Count, col).End(xlUp)).Formula = _ Cells(2, col).Formula End Sub --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ I put a value in K99 (so the macro knew when to quit) and I put a formula in K2. With K2 selected, I ran the code and it worked fine. The co...

A Crystal Beginner

Duplicate cells #4
I have an excel spreadsheet of approximately 1500 Names,addressses etc. there are many duplicate cells of which I want to delete the duplicates and I am looking for the best way to accomplish this. I am new to excel and using formulas but if there is a way to use color to point out the duplicates, that would be very helpfull, thanks You could try to use Advanced Filter to get rid of the duplicates. Ensure that you have headers in row 1 (Name, Address_1, Address_2 etc) and highlight all the data including the headers. Then click Data | Filter | Advanced Filter and in the pop up click Un...

Get paid while you get online!!

Spreadsheet getting corrupted

Mailbox permission #4
I have been running an Exchange 2000 server on a Windows 2000 server and am setting up a clustered Exchange 2003 server on two Windows 2003 servers that I plan to migrate everyone to. No active employee has been moved yet to the new 2003 server (just a test account, which is working). I recenty discovered that any employee can open any other employee's exchange folders from their Outlook (I have no idea if this became possible before or after the 2003 install and would like to fix it before anyone else discovers this is possible). The only place I can find permissions for mailboxes ...

Columns Compare and Row Insertion Alignment
You are required to be a member to post replies. After logging in or becoming a member, you will be redirected back to this page. EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice WCF Workflow Services Using External Data Exchange http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/3d49fa0d-a120-4977-842a-6dafb17b6d74/wcf-workflow-services-usi.aspx ...

How do I get??

outlook express address book #4
Getting new computer and want everything in my address book to move to new computer. Besides email address I also have other info like people's home addresses and phone numbers and birth dates. How do I get those all to go to my new computer. I really don't want to have to retype them all. copy the .dbx file to the new machine. You will find several. Also, please note, This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97-2003 from the Office family for Windows PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress f...

Get notified when Out of Office is on

Getting Control ID in Active X control

Get photos from a camera