How to display a text field of numbers as text?

I have a table in which data are entered and categorized according to a cost
code, e.g., 14.2, 21, 14.2.6.4, etc. I created a combo box (I also tried a
text box) so the user can only enter in the correct cost codes.  The data
type of the cost code is text because a number with multiple decimal points
will not work  The problem is that when I run a query to gather records, the
resulting table does not conatin the text of the cost code but rather a
number of which I know not where it comes from.   I tried format properties
indicating that a character is not needed but that did not work.  What am I
doing wrong?  Thanks
--
Brian
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Maybe the numbers you are seeing are the  [Current Codes].[ID].

Which column is Bound Column in the Combo box and what is the Control Source?
--
KARL DEWEY
Build a little - Test a little

"Brian" wrote:

> Jerry,
>
> Please see answers below.
>
> Thanks
> --
> Brian
>

> "Jerry Whittle" wrote:
>
> > Show us the SQL.  Open the query in design view. Next go to View, SQL View
> > and copy and past it here.
>
> SELECT [All Invoices].Vendor, [All Invoices].[Invoice #], [All
> Invoices].Amount, [All Invoices].Code, [All Invoices].[Month invoice paid],
> [All Invoices].[Sent to HSRC?] INTO [Invoice list to HSRC]
> FROM [All Invoices]
> WHERE ((([All Invoices].[Sent to HSRC?])=False));
>

> > Also describe the Row Source for the Combo Box.
>
> SELECT [Current Codes].[ID], [Current Codes].[Code] FROM [Current Codes]
> ORDER BY [Code];
> >
> > Lastly are you using Lookup fields at the table level? If you click into the
> > cost code field in the table, does a drop down show up? If so you just ran
> > into one of many reason to not use them. Below is a great list of reasons to
> > dump them.
>
> Yes, it is a drop down.
> >
> > http://www.mvps.org/access/lookupfields.htm
> > --
> > Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP
> > Light. Strong. Cheap. Pick two. Keith Bontrager - Bicycle Builder.
> >

> > "Brian" wrote:
> >
> > > I have a table in which data are entered and categorized according to a cost
> > > code, e.g., 14.2, 21, 14.2.6.4, etc. I created a combo box (I also tried a
> > > text box) so the user can only enter in the correct cost codes.  The data
> > > type of the cost code is text because a number with multiple decimal points
> > > will not work  The problem is that when I run a query to gather records, the
> > > resulting table does not conatin the text of the cost code but rather a
> > > number of which I know not where it comes from.   I tried format properties
> > > indicating that a character is not needed but that did not work.  What am I
> > > doing wrong?  Thanks
> > > --
> > > Brian
Karl,

Me feels dumb.  Thanks.  I had the wrong bounc column.
--
Brian

"KARL DEWEY" wrote:

> Maybe the numbers you are seeing are the  [Current Codes].[ID].
>
> Which column is Bound Column in the Combo box and what is the Control Source?
> --
> KARL DEWEY
> Build a little - Test a little
>

> "Brian" wrote:
>
> > Jerry,
> >
> > Please see answers below.
> >
> > Thanks
> > --
> > Brian
> >

> > "Jerry Whittle" wrote:
> >
> > > Show us the SQL.  Open the query in design view. Next go to View, SQL View
> > > and copy and past it here.
> >
> > SELECT [All Invoices].Vendor, [All Invoices].[Invoice #], [All
> > Invoices].Amount, [All Invoices].Code, [All Invoices].[Month invoice paid],
> > [All Invoices].[Sent to HSRC?] INTO [Invoice list to HSRC]
> > FROM [All Invoices]
> > WHERE ((([All Invoices].[Sent to HSRC?])=False));
> >

> > > Also describe the Row Source for the Combo Box.
> >
> > SELECT [Current Codes].[ID], [Current Codes].[Code] FROM [Current Codes]
> > ORDER BY [Code];
> > >
> > > Lastly are you using Lookup fields at the table level? If you click into the
> > > cost code field in the table, does a drop down show up? If so you just ran
> > > into one of many reason to not use them. Below is a great list of reasons to
> > > dump them.
> >
> > Yes, it is a drop down.
> > >
> > > http://www.mvps.org/access/lookupfields.htm
> > > --
> > > Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP
> > > Light. Strong. Cheap. Pick two. Keith Bontrager - Bicycle Builder.

����������
"KARL DEWEY" <KARLDEWEY@discussions.microsoft.com> д����Ϣ����:90574A4B-AAA7-4BD2-A03D-BADDB8B198D3@microsoft.com...
> The criteria needs to be text.  You are probably omitting the quotes from
> the
> criteria like this ---
>           14.2                  should be entered as      "14.2"
>

> --
> KARL DEWEY
> Build a little - Test a little
>

> "Brian" wrote:
>
>> I have a table in which data are entered and categorized according to a
>> cost
>> code, e.g., 14.2, 21, 14.2.6.4, etc. I created a combo box (I also tried
>> text box) so the user can only enter in the correct cost codes.  The data
>> type of the cost code is text because a number with multiple decimal
>> points
>> will not work  The problem is that when I run a query to gather records,
>> the
>> resulting table does not conatin the text of the cost code but rather a
>> number of which I know not where it comes from.   I tried format
>> properties
>> indicating that a character is not needed but that did not work.  What am
>> doing wrong?  Thanks
>> --
>> Brian

Dual Displays

Vba code cannot select text pasted from .txt file
The data I'm working with is from a .txt file which was created by exporting a .pdf to a text file. I copy all of the text from the .txt file and paste it into a column in Excel. When trying to reference any column, row, or range on the sheet with the pasted text, I get the following error: Run-time error '1004': Application-defined or object-defined error. Sample code: Sheets("Sheet5").Select ' <this works fine Columns("A:A").Select ' <this gets the error I've tried pasting the text with other paste special options. I'v...

Folder could not be displayed

Converting Revisions to Text
I have two word files. I do a comparison of the two files. I would like to convert the comparison result into a file where the revisions are actual text and formatting. For example, I would like the deletions to become text with strikethrough, not text marked as a deletion displayed with a strikethough. I need this to export to another application. Is there any simple way to do this? ...

find all records in date field
How do I find all records for a field "Birthdate" for particular month Use a query, and in the "Criteria" box, put this (change dates to suit, and use the normal format for your location, eg 12/25/2009 instead of 25/12/2009) Between #01/01/2009# and #25/12/2009# Phil, London "Keith" <Keith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7E8ECAAA-D7DA-4F65-8ED7-80C4AEE28963@microsoft.com... > How do I find all records for a field "Birthdate" for particular month SELECT * FROM YourTable WHERE Month(BirthDate) = [Enter the...

How to select & display distinct values

grey text box
Need help adding the grey box to a document to click and fill basically. Deanna wrote: > Need help adding the grey box to a document to click and fill > basically. See http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=22. -- Regards, Jay Freedman Microsoft Word MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so all may benefit. ...

Display Time in Outlook

PK and FK Displayed

Formulas are displayed, results are not

Converting number to text

Stop displaying a line

Creating fields like gateways, when met, unlock next step
I am researching how to create "gates" in a database so that when someone initilializes the process filling out a form, they cannot progress beyond a certain point in the process until a specified field is "electronically" signed by the "keyholder" person authorized to approve progression to the next step. The "next step" could be gaining entry into another form or subform. I've not been able to come across anything helpful yet. Any help is much appreciated. Thank you in advance, "Aso" <Aso@discussions.microsoft.com>...

Display or not display series

Group Discussion Fielded
Hello, Apologies in advance if I am not using the most appropriate terminalogy. I am trying to find a way to structure a group discussion on several topics all within the same emails which people update. For instance, suppose there are 3 individuals (not on the same exchange network) discussing 2 topics. If this were excel, I would have 3 rows and 5 columns e.g. Blank John Jane Joe End Conclusion Topic 1 blah 1 blah 2 blah 3 blah 7 blah 8 ABC Topic 2 blah 4 blah 5 blah 6 blah 9 ...

Displaying an equation
I have an equation setup that is referencing a few other cells that have equations in them. I want to have a cell that displays this equation with the answers that are calculated from these other cells displayed as values in the new equation. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Check out http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/formula.htm#getformula In article <E4143E2B-360A-4B43-955F-73BF8EC60694@microsoft.com>, "hoising8" <hoising8@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have an equation setup that is referencing a few other cells that have > eq...

Retrieve Meeting Response Text Associated with an Appointment
How do I retrieve the text of meeting responses associated with an appointment? I have redeveloped a macro which produces a word document listing the meeting response status of invitees to an appointment. I would like, for those who declined, to include the body of the meeting response (ie., where the invitee has chosen to "Edit response before sending." While the Meeting Response Status is a Recipient property, the text of the response is not. Any ideas? I'm including the macro below: Public Sub PrintAttendees() ' Gather data from an opened appointment ...

Serialisation
A general query Im serialising a person object with the following member variables Class Person Private _forenames As String Private _surname As String Private _dob As Date Private _marital_status As MaritalStatus 'Public Get and Set Properties here for each of the above ' I'll not detail them all to save space but Ill show attributes <XmlElementAttribute(Elementname:="forename")> _ <XmlElementAttribute(Elementname:="surname")> _ <XmlElementAttribute(Elementname:="dob"...

recurring text
I am trying to enter recurring text only on a few pages of a document I am building. How do I enter text once and then have it repeat on the same page as well as pages throughout the document? Thank you for your help. Depends on how much text you are trying to do this with. Up to 255 characters you could use the Merge feature from Publisher 97 on. -- If your text needs to be at the same position on every page then you can put it on the Master Page (Ctrl+M) Blair. "Becky" <Rebecca.J.Haff@mwarep.org> wrote in message news:080701c3794b$bd14f040$a001280a@phx.gbl... >...

New Email does not display
When new email arrives you don't know it. You don't know you have new mail until you click on an existing email in your inbox. Any ideas? It's a setting. But... 1. You don't tell us the program you're using. 2. We can't guess if it's Outlook or Outlook Express. 3. This is the Excel newsgroup; you're in the wrong place. :) ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "Travis" <Travis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D864BC01-7D98-48DA-A132-614D02E45963@microsoft.com... > When new email arrives you don't know ...