How best to backup an Access database

OK, reading here I saw someone has lost his database and there was
talk about backup.  What I'm doing for backup is ever so often, I copy/
paste a copy of my .mdb file. I have automatic backup software that
then backs that up offsite.

Should I create something that exports the data in the tables and use
that as a backup or am I doing enough?

What so people do to backup their access applications?
0
MikeB
1/24/2008 2:32:36 AM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 18:32:36 -0800 (PST), MikeB <MPBrede@gmail.com>
wrote:

Per best practices you have a split database, with a front-end (most
likely MDE) on each workstattion, and a back-end MDB with the tables
on the server.
Backup the MDB every night. Backup the MDB that created the MDE for
every version.
Look into grandfather - father - son backup schemes for more robust
backups.

-Tom.

>OK, reading here I saw someone has lost his database and there was
>talk about backup.  What I'm doing for backup is ever so often, I copy/
>paste a copy of my .mdb file. I have automatic backup software that
>then backs that up offsite.
>
>Should I create something that exports the data in the tables and use
>that as a backup or am I doing enough?
>
>What so people do to backup their access applications?
0
Tom
1/24/2008 3:08:58 AM
Copying the ACCESS database file and putting the copy in a safe place is how
to backup your database's data.

--

        Ken Snell
<MS ACCESS MVP>

"MikeB" <MPBrede@gmail.com> wrote in message
> OK, reading here I saw someone has lost his database and there was
> talk about backup.  What I'm doing for backup is ever so often, I copy/
> paste a copy of my .mdb file. I have automatic backup software that
> then backs that up offsite.
>
> Should I create something that exports the data in the tables and use
> that as a backup or am I doing enough?
>
> What so people do to backup their access applications?

0
Ken
1/24/2008 3:09:02 AM
je ne lis pas l'anglais
"Tom van Stiphout" <no.spam.tom7744@cox.net> a �crit dans le message de
> On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 18:32:36 -0800 (PST), MikeB <MPBrede@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Per best practices you have a split database, with a front-end (most
> likely MDE) on each workstattion, and a back-end MDB with the tables
> on the server.
> Backup the MDB every night. Backup the MDB that created the MDE for
> every version.
> Look into grandfather - father - son backup schemes for more robust
> backups.
>
> -Tom.
>

>>OK, reading here I saw someone has lost his database and there was
>>talk about backup.  What I'm doing for backup is ever so often, I copy/
>>paste a copy of my .mdb file. I have automatic backup software that
>>then backs that up offsite.
>>
>>Should I create something that exports the data in the tables and use
>>that as a backup or am I doing enough?
>>
>>What so people do to backup their access applications?

0
azzedine

Microsoft Outlook data backup ...
I am finally looking into backing up, on CDs, the important information present on my PC ... How can I backup the contact, calendar and task information captured in Microsoft Outlook 2000 ? .... ie, where is this information stored ? Take a look here, it may help: http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Rackmaninof ...

Data not downloading to .xls file but it is in the database
OK, I am relatively familiar with Access 2003, but I have been asked to figure out why the data in that is entered into the database shows it when looking on the database but it is not generating it to the list of updated documents. Here is a bit of the background...I just started working at this company 2 days ago, well the file is an excel file but the path for the file is generated to a person's C: drive who no longer is employed here. I am trying to change that path...and am having no luck. Any help would be so appreciated. Thanks! Is the file even on their machine? You...

The best photographer
He is the best famous photographer.. http://club.cyworld.com/dcnomad ...

Need help in accessing a sharepoint site that I created with the AllTemplates.exe
SBS2008 with WSS 3.0 I downloaded the AllTemplates.exe from Microsoft and installed the Helpdesk template. I can acess the Helpdesk site from SBS2008 and add things to it but I can't access it from a workstation. Can anyone help me out? Thanks You mean you can only access the site from the Server in local , right? maybe we need more information such as error message. how about doing "ping" or "tracert" result. can you access a normal web site (not sharepoint site) from the workstation ? do you get an authentication window ? "john doe" wr...

Backup Requisition management and business Portal
Como realizar un backup de requisition management y de business portal 2,5? How to backup requisition management y de business portal 2,5? Since at its core, Business Portal share point site, here is an article from Microsoft on how to back them up: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/office/office2003/maintain/bureswss.mspx -- www.fmtconsultants.com "Richard Padilla" wrote: > Como realizar un backup de requisition management y de business portal 2,5? > > How to backup requisition management y de business portal 2,5? > > > ...

How to access Outlook 2000?- in extended support phase
One day when attempting to access Outlook 2000 I received an error message that says it has entered its extended support phase. I have called Microsoft and gone to their online help and there is nothing for Outlook 2000. How do I get all the emails and folders stored in my Outlook? "Jerseygirl" <Jerseygirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:568F0FE0-EB59-4500-980C-0CA22289683E@microsoft.com... > One day when attempting to access Outlook 2000 I received an error message > that says it has entered its extended support phase. I have called &g...

Webmail access with 2 servers
Hello, I am an administrator for a network with 2 sites, both on the same domain and both running exchange 2003. Everything is working apart from an annoyance with the externally published webmail. If a user browses to the an server that does not hold their mailbox, they are re-directed to the internal IP address of the other server. Is this settings easily changed, to re-direct them to the published address? Regards Graham "Graham Webber" <asl@noemail.noemail> wrote in message news:OejVruPVHHA.392@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > Hello, > > I am an administrator ...

Best text books / manuals for MS Office (intermediate-Advanced use
What are the best (most highly reccomended) text books / instruction manuals you can get for Access, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, & Word and also VBE? I consider myself to be Quite proficient in Excel......Can produce a decent document in Publisher.......Can "Get by" in Word....Not enough knowledge of Access......Only used PowerPoint once....... I started using BASIC (the programming language) back in the '80s, so I have some knowledge of VBE (Formulas & syntax are quite simular from what I see now). I have created several Excel projects with Macros bu...

Need access advise regarind linked versus imported tables
I have designed an application that uses a linked csv file as the main table. The reason for this is because another user creates this file and jsut puts it into a designated folder on their computer. Here is the issue. The csv file contains approximately 20K records. I cannot create any type of index on a linked file. Am I better off importing the file into access (or reading the linked table and inserting them into another table with an index)? Is there an easy way to perform something like this? Will this increase performance? I am pretty new to access and am looking for any and all...

summarize data in access 2007
I have a EmployeeInfo table with 1000 records. Each employee has an autonumber EmployeeID field. Within that same table there are 117 supervisors, identified in the SupName field. I would like to summarize the count of EmployeeID by SupName. I have no idea where to begin... Please let me know if you need more info. Thanks all! SELECT SupName, Count(EmployeeID) FROM EmployeeInfo GROUP BY SupName ORDER BY SupName ; Open a new query but don't add any tables. Go to View, SQL View and past in the above. As a side note: Assuming that the Supervisor is in the EmployeeInfo t...

Briefcase can't sync access 2007 database
I setup a briefcase that contains an Access 2007 database file. When I made change to the DB in the briefcase and try to sync with desktop, get an error message that briefcase can't sync file because the database is not repicable. How can I make it replicable? On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 20:37:01 -0800, Bernie Herpin <Bernie Herpin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: Is this an accdb file or an mdb file? -Tom. Microsoft Access MVP >I setup a briefcase that contains an Access 2007 database file. When I made >change to the DB in the briefcase and try to sync with ...

Where is the best place to put notes?
We are new to MSCRM and are not used to all of the possible places that you can enter notes. Has anyone created a structure for their company as to what notes should be entered where? Wendy, There are many ways to handle notes. You have accurately identified that notes are kind of disjointed. What you might consider doing is creating a central notes depository in Sharepoint and then adding a customization with an inline frame that shows the Sharepoint notes repository in several different parts of CRM. In general, you have not provided enough information on what you are trying to ac...

Access app does not run under access runtime
Hi, I developed a serial COM application it runs under access 2000, 2002, 2003 but not under access runtime version 10 (Access Runtime version 2002). The application is compiled to an MDE file. What shall I do to solv the problem? thanks a lot mumose Does the apcpation work on your machine when you use the /runtime switch? if yes, then, it does mean that it should be able to run on a target machine. however, you don't mention if you are in fact using activeX com control, and if you don't install it on the target machine, it will not work... So, have you tired use the /runtime s...

Saving Excel results to Access
I made a spreadsheet which acts as a scorekeeper for darts. One column you put in what you score and the other colum subtracts the score down from 501. I managed to put in a 'New Game' macro which clears this sheet. Although I also want the newgame to save the scores to a database and the reason for this is that I want to calculate statistics in excel. Such as average score, number of legs played, number of 180's, average checkout, highest checkout etc. I'd be able to do this quite easily, but first I must figure out how to get the scores saved into access after each game is co...

what is the best way to resize test that "best fits" the text box
I just want to know how to resize text to fit the text box. Select the text and reduce the font size until it suits your requirements. There is no automatic function for this. -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> "utahjohn" <utahjohn@discussions.microsof...

Problem Connecting to Database Engine
Hi, Situation: WinXP Office 2003 Multiple Users on this computer I am getting the message, "There was a problem connecting to the database engine. To try again, please click retry. If problem persists, check help." I checked help, and I added my name and the other person's name to the BCMUsers Group dialog. I "checked names" to ensure that the names were properly added and they were. But the problem still persists. Yesterday, I used a program called the "The Ultimate Troubleshooter" to stop some programs and services from running in the backgroun...

Access to other users mailbox
Hope somebody can help We have recently upgraded server & exchange from 2000 to 2003 versions, are using outlook xp clients. We have one generic mailbox that several users have rights to so the contents can be checked, discarded, acted apon etc. We used to be able to forward an email from this maibox to another user, however since the upgrade we get a 'You do not have permission to send to this recipient' when we try this. No rights were altered during the upgrade, so I have no idea why this happens. Any Ideas ? TIA Frank H Found it >-----Original Message----- >H...

Best way to forecast individual sales territories?
I have a spreadsheet with twelve months of sales data per territory (100 territories.) I need to forecast the next three months. The product being sold is just moving from launch phase to high growth phase, so it's still growing pretty quickly. What is the best method to forecast each individual territories' sales over the next three months? ...

Outlook 2002 won't backup
On closing Outlook 2002 I am prompted to backup my personal files. When I hit the "save backup" option I get a message "C:/..../Microsoft/Outlook folder does not exist. Do you want to create it?" When I hit the yes button I get a message "Cannot find the specified path" I have checked my hidden files and it seems that the path does exist. I have reloaded the backup utility and still have the same problem. Any solutions? Thanks for your assistance. Frustrated in Phoenix Set the save location to another location than where the original is located. You ...

OWA/OMA Protection
<No response from other forum> Hello, I have a Exchange 2003/OWA frontend that is protected with RSA two factor authentication inside a Checkpoint Firewall. The RSA part works fine and everything is good. Now I buy a Motorola Droid and need to set up the Exchange Sync and the RSA poses a problem. If I remove the RSA protection the Droid connects to the OWA and syncs well. Calls to RSA says it will not work with a Droid so I'd have to get rid of the RSA authentication. The question is: it looks like if I want to use a Android 2.0 based Droid phone to sync with outlook...

Access 2007 11-02-07
I have inherited a data Base designed in pre 2007. When I run the Data Base in 2007, it loads to the Main Menu, but will not load the command buttons from there. Is there a way to overcome this? Thanks for any help When you say it will not "load the command buttons" do you mean that the buttons appear on the form, but do nothing when clicked? If so, check the trust settings for macros. You either have to enable all macros to run or include the database as a trusted site. Look under Access Options for the settings. Hope this helps. Dave ---------------------- "Roge...

problem with personal folders backup
Backed up (or so I thought) my .pst files using the personal folders backup utility for Outlook 2002. When I backed up the files, I ended up with a small (38 kb) backup file and a larger (67 MB) file labeled "Outlook backup" but with no file extension--it's simply listed as a data file, not a .pst file. I tried restoring from that file and opening it directly in Outlook to no avail. Even tried the inbox repair tool with no luck. Anyone encountered this before? Any way to recover this file? It contains a lot of important emails. Thanks! Open the backup addin from t...

Question about Graphs in Access forms
Hi I have built a line graph that sits in a form. Some sample data for this graph is: Date Value SeriesID 1/5/06 15 25 8/5/06 19 25 15/5/06 11 25 22/5/06 14 25 ...... The graph only displays one series line at a time. There could be 15 records in the graph or over 100. I need to display a data point for each individual entry but I only want each individual year to show once as a label. Eg 20 15 10 5 0 2006 2007 2008 Can anyone think of a w...

GL figures
what really is the best practice method for brining in monthly GL figures so users can get comparative statements this year/lastyr. do you bring in all the old detail journals? or do you load via a maintenance or IM the historical balance for each month in some file. -- Linda W. Linda, You mean when you are starting up a new company? If so, unless someone needs the detail imported into GP for other reasons, I bring in a beginning balance and monthly net changes only. For example, let's say you're starting to use GP with January 2009, your fiscal year ends in December and y...

best tutorials for graphs ( line of best fit) for excel
What are the best tutorials for using excel for stastical analysis graphs and other graphs such as Line of best fit? Niccole: Here's a link to my chart gallery of Excel statistical charts. http://processtrends.com/TOC_chart_gallery.htm Here's a link to my page on trend analysis with Excel. This page shows several regression techniques that you can use with Excel. http://processtrends.com/toc_trend_analysis_with_Excel.htm Post back if you have more specific questions. Kelly O'Day koday at processtrends dot com "Niccole D" <Niccole D@discussions.microsoft....