Help with importing data

Hi All,

I'm currently using Access 2002 Sp3 and I'm having troubles with
importing data from a text file. The text file is 750Mb in size.

Are there any handy tips or tricks that I ould using tryiong to import
this data.

Whenever I try to import data Access stops responding.

Rgds,
Dolphy

0
Dolphy
9/26/2007 11:02:08 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

With a file that size you have to do a line by line import
ie write your own routine

Pieter

"Dolphy" <Kyrpto@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I'm currently using Access 2002 Sp3 and I'm having troubles with
> importing data from a text file. The text file is 750Mb in size.
>
> Are there any handy tips or tricks that I ould using tryiong to import
> this data.
>
> Whenever I try to import data Access stops responding.
>
> Rgds,
> Dolphy

0
Pieter
9/27/2007 9:05:32 AM
On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 16:02:08 -0700, Dolphy <Kyrpto@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I'm currently using Access 2002 Sp3 and I'm having troubles with
>importing data from a text file. The text file is 750Mb in size.
>
>Are there any handy tips or tricks that I ould using tryiong to import
>this data.
>
>Whenever I try to import data Access stops responding.
>
>Rgds,
>Dolphy

Since an Access database is limited in size to 2 GByte... and since once you
add indexes and table overhead the 750MB of text will certainly be larger...
you'll probably want to start with a fresh, empty .mdb file into which this
monster should be imported. You should also heed Pieter's good advice, I
suspect that TransferText may well choke on this.

Any chance you could move this data into SQL/Server, using Access as a
frontend?

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0
John
9/27/2007 4:39:48 PM
I would also think that Data Transformation Services is the only feasible
way to get it done!

Pieter

> On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 16:02:08 -0700, Dolphy <Kyrpto@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi All,
>>
>>I'm currently using Access 2002 Sp3 and I'm having troubles with
>>importing data from a text file. The text file is 750Mb in size.
>>
>>Are there any handy tips or tricks that I ould using tryiong to import
>>this data.
>>
>>Whenever I try to import data Access stops responding.
>>
>>Rgds,
>>Dolphy
>
> Since an Access database is limited in size to 2 GByte... and since once
> you
> add indexes and table overhead the 750MB of text will certainly be
> larger...
> you'll probably want to start with a fresh, empty .mdb file into which
> this
> monster should be imported. You should also heed Pieter's good advice, I
> suspect that TransferText may well choke on this.
>
> Any chance you could move this data into SQL/Server, using Access as a
> frontend?
>
>             John W. Vinson [MVP]

0
Pieter
9/27/2007 9:31:32 PM
I've been working with Paradox since I can remember.
Well, my version is giving me problems now and am going to move all the
files to Access and continue using it.
Problem is;
I imported all the tables to Access 2002 but there is a table that has just
pictures and the Key Fields.
When I imported the table it only shows the Key Fields and not the picture
records.
Is there an easy way to import these tables to Access?
The tables contain just two text fields which I use as a combined Key.  The
rest of the records, about 15 are all blob graphics that translates to a lot
of work.
iy
"Dolphy" <Kyrpto@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I'm currently using Access 2002 Sp3 and I'm having troubles with
> importing data from a text file. The text file is 750Mb in size.
>
> Are there any handy tips or tricks that I ould using tryiong to import
> this data.
>
> Whenever I try to import data Access stops responding.
>
> Rgds,
> Dolphy

0
Inab

help with outlook 2003 #2
I can't view the same in box if I am logged in as Admin. versus home user. How can I do that. I have Win XP. Probably because both users have seperate OS-level user profiles. See if the info here helps in getting the two users to share their Outlook data: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/olshare1.htm "Glo" <Glo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:35D38467-7284-40E1-B7C3-B161FE4FAEE3@microsoft.com... >I can't view the same in box if I am logged in as Admin. versus home user. > How can I do that. I have Win XP. ...

What are the performance enhancements to Crm 4 in the data tier
Microsoft released the Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 Performance and Scalability White Papers: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=5852B14A-394C-4898-8374-CAF5E6479EB0&displaylang=en Does anyone know of similar papers that indicate similar studies for Crm 3? Ultimately I collecting information to justify upgrading from 3 to 4 and our current bottleneck is the sql server. Hi Rob, CRM 4.0 offers a number of advantages to CRM 3.0 when it comes to performance and scalability. For example, support for 64-bit servers, server role separation, cluster database server supp...

HELP: Incoming Internet mails delay by the SMTP Connector at Exchange 2003 frontend
We just switched over to Exchange 2003 SMTP frontend and we notice mails always get queued up for 5 to 20 minutes. Force Connection, unfreeze didn't help. I can use telnet to port 25 of the backends to send a message instantly without any delay. So why the mails always get delay by the connector? Thanks Anything configured in the delivery options tab of your connector? James Chong andyhwconnet@hotmail.com wrote: > We just switched over to Exchange 2003 SMTP frontend and we notice > mails always get queued up for 5 to 20 minutes. Force Connection, > unfreeze didn't hel...

Data Validation #23
Rather than writing some VBA to restrict entries into a cell I thought I would use the data validation! All I am trying to do is restrict the user to having to select from the from pick from list box. I believe I have set things up correctly, but I cannot stop the use from adding spaces! The use is restricted from using his own codes, but I cannot seem to stop him from manually adding (in error) unnecessary spaces either before or after his selection. What happens is he selects from the list, but he can them manually edit the cell. It does not allow him to use entries that are not ...

REQ: Help! Dynamics COM object gives "Access Denied" from ASP.NET
I am trying to automate some data entry for our admin support team by authoring web-based pages which interact with Great Plains Dynamics. Currently, I am designing a proof of concept which will open the Item Maintenance page (IV_ITEM_MAINTENANCE) and programmatically fill the "Item Number" field, move focus to another field (so Dynamics will fill the Item Description info into the "Item Description" field), and then read the text from the "Item Description" field. I am able to get the code to properly work both in VB6 and VB.NET (as a WinForms Application). Ho...

sum weekly data into monthly
I want to sum weekly data into monthly data by SKU. I have two tables. the first looks like this: sku 20100426 20100503 20100510 20100517 20100524 abc 200 300 200 150 150 where the column heading of 20100426 = week ending 4/26/2010 the second table looks like this: DATE Fiscal Month 20100426 6 20100503 6 20100510 6 20100517 7 20100524 7 I want to sum SKU abc by fiscal mont. For month 6 it would equal 700 month 7 would equal 300. hate to admit it but this one is beyond me. ?!? You have a column named for the "week ending date?&...

Please help
Hi, We have recently have migrated to WinXP/OfficeXP. Is there a way that we can setup Outlook to access the users Inbox automatically. At the moment the users are having to run the Outlook setup wizard and type in the exchange server name, Inbox name etc. the first time they login. We have about 300 users and are running Exchange 5.5 Thanks, Bruce. You need to look at the Office Resource Kit, there is a section on Profile Creation "Bruce" <codwars@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:6a8eb75a.0308110741.2d9fdb32@posting.google.com... > Hi, > > We have recently have ...

Apply this important package
--absdhktasofajj Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="pxswahlywwga"; type="multipart/alternative" --pxswahlywwga Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="eeorlpvonolalfvnq" --eeorlpvonolalfvnq Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Client this is the latest version of security update, the "September 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities. Install...

Newbie needs help with Excel hyperlink issue!
I have hyperlinks between Excel and a Word document. I have set bookmarks so that the hyperlinks jump to the appropriate spots. Problem is this whichever Excel hyperlink I use first will open up word and start at the appropriate bookmark, however once Word is open clicking on any further hyperlinks does nothing. If I close Word again and click on any Excel hyperlink it will always go to the right spot on the document the first time Word opens it, but thereafter nothing! Help what do I do? ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ V...

Adding Source Data to a Chart.
I want to add data from 2 different sheets within the same work book added together. ie say data from Sheet1 B1 + Sheet 3 B1 as source data for the same bar on the chart. Can this be done direct or do I have to add them together first then use that as the source data. I have tried typically the following: Sheet1!$B$1+Sheet3!$b$1 and several variations of this without success. One way to do it is to have 2 series, one for each sheet, and make a Stacked bar chart. The only problem is that you don't get to see the total when adding labels to the series. Regards Esteban "Dizz...

Import Data into Visio
Visio Newbie I am going thru a process of design and documentation of a SQL database. We have used Excel to define the design for each of the tables. The Excel includes the descriptions and default values. I would like to import (from Excel) this range of data. This will represent the table layouts/design for the SQL database table. The range I would like to import has a minimum of two columns of data. The one is the column name and the other is the datatype. Can I import this kind of data into a Visio object (UML Package maybe)? I would like to use this Visio Object illustrate ...

Run a Query on External data(ODBC) criteria based on input of a ce
I have an access database that I would like to put a DATE into a cell and have it auto run a query with that date criteria. I have done this with the query wizard and manualy but would like to automate the process by just typing the date and pressing the enter any one who could lead me in the right direction or who has done this before I would appreciate the help -- thank you TR Hi As an example here is a part of the procedure, I used for such a task (with ODBC for VisualFox tables, but only query syntax is affected by driver used) Public Sub RefreshQueryes() month= ActiveSheet.Ra...

HELP with Graphing.
For my particular data sets the x axis represents displacement, and the y axis represents load. I have multiple data sets; each has its own x and y values. The chart wizard only lets me pick one of the series x values for the entire graph. Is there a way i can graph all the data sets on the same plot so that each data set is referenced to its own x values, as opposed to just one of them. Plot the first data set Select the second one (both x and y values) and copy Click on Chart Use menu item Edit | Paste Special and indicate New Series with x-values in left column (with or without la...

Watch that important update from MS
--xflbwxeum Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="edcyayzhmxwehhm"; type="multipart/alternative" --edcyayzhmxwehhm Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="zqoktpxnciql" --zqoktpxnciql Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable MS User this is the latest version of security update, the "September 2009, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express. Install now to maintain the security of your computer from these vulnerabil...

data from a formula direcly to a variable
hi all, i'm using formulaarray but i would like to save time and direcly the data from the formula to transfer to variable instead on having in on a cell, it a metter of saving time and machine time is there an option for this? this is my code: xlApp.Range("S" & row).Select Selection.FormulaArray =" " how can i direcly transfer the data to a variable? Get rid of the selects xlApp.Range("S" & row).FormulaArray =" " -- HTH Bob Phillips (replace somewhere in email address with gmail if mailing direct) <yaniv.dg@gmail.com> w...

Thousands Excel customer details, how to import to CRM?

Multi CSV file import
I have about 200 csv files that I would like to import into excel. After figuring out that I can only import 1 file at a time, I am trying to seek a solution to this time consuming problem. Is there an easy way to import them all at one time, (all the same layout). Is there a way to merge them all and import them, or any other solution? Jeff --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ If the files are in the same folder, I'd use an old DOS command: Shell to DOS (command prompt): Traverse to the folder that holds all the *.csv's copy *.csv all.txt If you want you can re...

Data migration 03-06-07
I'm in the process of migrating data from a 3:rd party system into MS CRM 3.0. But when I look at the staging database I can't figure out what to do with the appointments. Although there is an Appointment table in the CRM database, it seems to be missing from the cdf database. Does anyone knows in what table the appointments should go? Also, does anyone knows where to find any detailed documentation about Data Migration Framework? I've been searching but I haven't been able to find any good documentation. Thanks /Peter Hi Peter, You are unable to import appointments w...

OLE DB error getting data from CRM db in onChange event
I'm trying to use the code below (in the onChange event of a picklist) to get some values from the CRM database so that, when the user selects a value from a picklist (here called "new_enduserid") I can get some associated values from some other tables and populate dependent text boxes etc. on the form. I'm getting an error "Multiple step OLE DB operation generated errors. Check each OLE DB status value, if available. No work was done." var oDataValue = crmForm.all.new_enduserid.DataValue; /* This alert displays correctly */ alert(oDataValue[0].id); var connec...

Help Type conversion problem
Can any one help me in converting from CString to LPDISPATCH? I tried to do that but I failed Mon Did you cast from LPDISPATCH to Cstring yourself or did you get a CString Object containign a LPDISPATCH ? Can you send a code snippet ? Pat "monther" <monther@bis-t.com> wrote in message news:uEv3QlHSEHA.1340@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Can any one help me in converting from CString to LPDISPATCH? > I tried to do that but I failed > Mon > > ...

Can you sort Excel data by font color?
I heard that you can sort Excel data by font or column colors. Is this true and how do you do it? Hi see: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/SortByColor.htm and http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.ColourCounter.html -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Help Me Sort" <Help Me Sort@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:EF1E9176-5818-4185-9DD7-A74A613914E2@microsoft.com... >I heard that you can sort Excel data by font or column colors. Is this >true > and how do you do it? Only with VBA or helper columns: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/SortByC...

Stacking data to show same number but different colors
I am needing to show two sets of data on a stacked bar that will reflect the total of the denominator. Example. I have 13 cases out of which 1 has a complication. I want the total on the bar to only reflect 13 but the coloring of the bars show both data points (13 and 1). Can this be done? Your stack total must be 13, so your differently formatted stacks have to be 12 and 1. Alternatively you could plot 13 and 1 as clustered columns, and set the overlap to 100. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier Peltier Technical Services, Inc. http://peltiertech.com/ wiggy wrote: > I am needing to sh...

HELP Files Missing
I am running Windows XP Pro SP 2 and Office 2007 - and this is the second time I have lost my Help files. My IT department nor I could figure out a way to fix it without reinstalling office and losing all my settings. Has anyone else had this problem and found a solution? -- Catrina Whenever you get any problems like this, the first thing you should always do is to run Office diagnostics. Office Diagnostics is a very powerful tool to reset your Office setup to default level as far as all connections to various files are concerned. you don't need your Office CD to r...

Help! Set mailbox limit to low
I was configuring mailbox limtis and one user in particular, I must not have been paying attention and gave her a 250K mailbox instead of 250Mb. No she obviously cannot accept mail. I turned off the restriction completely, and she still has the limit. I even tried setting it to 250Mb instead, but it still will not deliver to her. Can anyone help me out? -Harry On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 10:05:27 -0400, "Harry Bates" <harry@-NOSPAM-rocksystems.-NOSPAM-net> wrote: >I was configuring mailbox limtis and one user in particular, I must not have >been paying attention and ga...

Help, please: to remove Outlook 2000 ?
Help, please... On a pretty good Win XP PC, I need to upgrade from Outlook Express 6 to Outlook 2000. I installed Outlook and it imported all the folders/messages/identities from OE6. Outlook 2000 starts up, and all seems fine, and I'm looking at the new message that it created... "Welcome to Outlook 2000". If I try to view any other message, it locks up. I see the perpetual hourglass. It's dead. I want to Remove it, then re-install it. How do I remove it? I went to Control Panel, Add or remove programs... it's not there. Add/remove Windows components... it'...