Help with counting

I've never used any counting function within access before and need some
help. I have an inventory table with several fields listing all the equipment
we have. One of these fields is called GROUP.  This field states which
category each item of equipment falls into. For example Pedestrian Mowers,
Fine-Turf Mowers, Tractors etc. I want to have a report or form that gives me
the total number for each equipment type. Eg Pedestrian Mowers = 6, Fine-Turf
Mowers = 12 and Tractors = 3

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Craig
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Use this query ---
SELECT YourTable.[Group], Count(YourTable.[Group]) AS [CountOfGroup]
FROM YourTable
GROUP BY YourTable.[Group];

--
KARL DEWEY
Build a little - Test a little

"Craig" <Craig@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've never used any counting function within access before and need some
> help. I have an inventory table with several fields listing all the
> equipment
> we have. One of these fields is called GROUP.  This field states which
> category each item of equipment falls into. For example Pedestrian Mowers,
> Fine-Turf Mowers, Tractors etc. I want to have a report or form that gives
> me
> the total number for each equipment type. Eg Pedestrian Mowers = 6,
> Fine-Turf
> Mowers = 12 and Tractors = 3
>
> Any help would be appreciated
> Thanks
> Craig

Explore the DCount function.

For example:

PedestrianMowerCount = DCount("ID", "Inventory", "Group = 6")

where 'ID' is the Inventory table's Primary Key.

0
deko

A cell contains "1,2,3"; and I want to count those sep. by comma
I have three columns. Column A contains a number, column B contains bunch of numbers separated by comma corresponding to the number in column A. In the column C, I want to count the numbers in col. B separated by comma. Example: Column A Column B Column C 1200 2,3,4,8 4 (i.e. there are four numbers in column B) One possibility: =IF(B1="","",LEN(B1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(B1,","...

please help dist list
all: upper management just asked for a dist list with 6 members as to: recipients and 3 members as cc: recipients. running exch2k3 sp1 know how to create dist list and add members but i dont see any way to distinguish who is to and who is cc is there any method for that? any ideas? Thanks Ed no...you'd need to create two different distribution groups... "EdMull51" <EdMull51@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4EC90F83-840B-43B9-99D1-9816056659BE@microsoft.com... > all: > > upper management just asked for a dist list with 6 membe...

Marsh modfAutoSizeTextBoxMulti help!
Hi Marsh, I was testing the modfAutoSizeTextBoxMulti you modified for me a couple days ago and there is only one thing the I have to ask you. When I add a new record and start to type something the function does not fire. In other word in the very first time you insert a text in the box it does not resize itself. Try to add a new record and you'll see what I mean. I tried to use the On open event in the same way you used the Change event, but it does not seem to work. Could you help in that again? Stefano. ...

BadMail Delete HELP!
My information stor was dismounted do to the lack of hard drive space and I beleve it is due to the badmail folder I tryied to delete the badmail by going into the folder and selecting all of the files and deleteing them but when I go into the folder it won't show me the file it says searching for files and that has been going on for hours now. I also tried to delete them by going to a CMD pormpt and navigating to the badmail folder and doing a del *.* and that didn't work. Does anybody have any idea how I can remove all of these file. Thanks, Jason. Rename badmail to badmai...

Help needed reactivating Journal.
At work I use MS Outlook 2000 SR1 in a Corporate or Workgroup environment. I believe that originally this was supplied with Journal enabled, but that I have at some point in the dim and distant past removed Journal from the Outlook sidebar, since at the time I never used it. I now have a situation where I might want to use it, but I cannot see how to restore it, any help would be greatly appreciated. Assuming that I can restore it can Journal be made to work with contacts in the Global Address List as opposed to my Contacts folder? If so how? If not can I somehow automatically Import the ...

the attached files cant be opened....help pls!
Hi, morning One of my client got a trouble to use Outlook 2003 to send the attachment.. She forwarded a PDF attachment to another guy, the file is changed to DAT format when the guy received it. Any idea i need to configure the Outlook 2003 or completely out of my control...help pls. Cheers, Jason Have the user switch to plain text or HTML and resend the file. Outlook Rich Text Format produces winmail.dat files that contain the formatting that only Outlook and Eudora can interpret. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to...

When I go to send a new email I get large fonts? Need help ASAP
When I go to Microsoft Outlook 2003 I start a new e-mail, I get large fonts. I do not get the normal 12 pt, I am getting about 28 pt. How can I get rid of this ignoring font? ...

count until blank cell
Hi, I want to know how to count the number of cells in a column until i get to a blank space. Example:I have a certain set of numbers in Column A, All i want is to count the number of cells taht I have in the first set of numbers. In this case that would be the 23, 432, and 523. the count would be 3. But those number will change maybe to be a total of 5. =count(a1:"") ? how can i do it? countifs,? countif? aount? Column A 23 432 523 543 543 345 234 234 -- asdf My interpretation is that you want to count how many entries there are ...

Need help on Probablility problem
I have a problem for class i cant figure out how to do this is it: I have to create a worksheet that displays the percentage of peopl having the same birthday and the percentage of them having differen birthdays. My problem is i have no idea what formula to use to ge these percentages for each amount of people. If anyone can help i would be greatly appreciated ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com ~~Now Available: Financial Statements.xls, a step by step guide ...

Microsoft CRM 3.0 Online Help update available for Download
Hi All! The Microsoft Dynamics CRM content development team responds to the documentation feedback entered at the bottom of every Online Help page in Microsoft CRM. This feedback is incorporated into regular updates that are available on the Microsoft Download Center. An update was just posted this week that contains changes based on customer and partner feedback during the months of December and January. You can download it at: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=309129a8-9a6b-478a-87c8-fd7e7e1e6486&DisplayLang=en. Good luck! Crystal L. Smithwick Microsoft Dyn...

Macro help needed
all, thanks for any response. I would like to make a macro to take the contents of 3 columns of 20 numbers and letters, and combine them into one column to form a serial number.....this is relevant for a label making program that allows an Excel import. for example A1 Port1 KVM would turn into A1-Port1-KVM any help is appreciated. -- Rich........ my AOL instant messenger shhhbalto use this link to donate a calling card to our troops https://thor.aafes.com/scs/product.aspx?cid=2 this site helps our wounded soldiers adapt http://www.homesforourtroops.org/pages/4/index.htm Fr...

How do I ask Excel to count how many items are in BOLD TYPE?
HI...wondering how I can have Excel give me a total of how many words or titles are typed with BOLD lettering in a particular column. Can anyone help me, I'm going batty... THANKS There's nothing built into excel that will sum values based on formatting. You could use a User defined function, though. Option Explicit Function CountBold(rng As Range) as Long Application.Volatile Dim myCell As Range Dim myTotal As Long myTotal = 0 For Each myCell In rng.Cells With myCell If .Font.Bold = True Then myTotal = myTotal + 1 ...

Help with text function
I need a function to help return the first name of a text sting that contains last name,first name, midlle initial. For instance for "Walker,Catrina L" I need to return "Catrina" Terrence Are you absolutely, positively certain that EVERY text string contains the sequence LastName, FirstName MiddleInitial? Cher, for example, ... .... or Jean Claude van Damm .... or Billy Bob Thorton If you can, without question, state that every text string has a single comma in it, placed between the LastName and FirstName (hmmm, what about John Doe, Jr. ... ...

count 09-25-07
I have sub form and master form the data sheet sub form contain this data serial roomtype GName 1 DBL ahsdkl 2 DBL addfdf 3 SNGL adds 4 Q jkdjfkd the question is: I want to but text box in main form count roomtype where roomtype =DBL I want to but text box in main form count roomtype where roomtype =SNGL I want to but text box in main form count roomtype where roomtype =Q Try these --- =DCount("[roomtype]", "YourTableName", "[roomtype] = 'DBL"...

Worksheet to workbook link
I have a workbook where I need to insert a new worksheet every week(same format every week). This is a weekly report for finance of my company. I have cretaed a "data" spreadhseet to show the affect of profit and loss on a weekly basis. I am trying to create a link between the cells in the "data" worksheet and the new worksheets that I will be adding every week. the "data worksheet is where all the information is to be stored for graphs etc... What I would like to do is create a formula in the Data worksheet so I can just add the new worksheet and all the informa...

Lost/help not finding the correct terminology questions for help
I am building a simple work book My first row where my titles need to be are 2 rows tall to enter my data. Typing always starts at the bottom left hand corner I want typing to start at top left corner so I can enter my 2 rows of data?? 2nd question: My wk. book is 6 colums, 36 rows. I enter text in 5 colums and a number figure in colum F, example 10.5 question.. as I enter these number figures dailey I would like them to automatically add the running the total in cell 36 F is this possible?? -- Microsoft Office 2003 Version Thank-you Carl R Hi Carl, Q1 Setting a row to dou...

HTML Help Workshop
Our HTML Help Workshop is dated 1999 and does not match the current HTML Help Work documentation. Our HTML Help Workshop version is 4.74.8702.0. This version is also reffered to as version 1.3 What we want is HTML Help Workshop version 1.4 or later. We hope that version 1.4 will match the current HTML Help documentaion at the MSDN website Please let us know where on the internet we can download a newer version of HTML Help Workshop. Try the following link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=00535334-c8a6-452f-9aa0-d597d16580cc&DisplayLang=en -- Cheers Check A...

Help with delete
Just started using publisher (2007). I have imported a large word file and would like to delete a page. I follow the instructions -> edit -> delete page but I get a message saying that the page contains objects - do i want to delete anyway, when I click yes - nothing happens, and nothing is deleted! What am I doing wrong? -- Cheers Barry Is the file text? Are the text boxes linked? How many pages does the file have? Have you tried right-clicking a page tab and deleting? -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Barry" <Barry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in me...

Combobox to listbox data help
I have a combobox where I want the data from the choice in the combobox to go to a listbox. Now this works on the first selection, but when I change back and forth between combobox choices it stays on the first selection like its locked into place. Essentially how do I get the listbox to reflect whatever choices I have in the combobox? Here is my code. The two tables are linked together fine. ProductName = Item (subclass) CategoryID = Class of item Item = combobox name SELECT DISTINCT Products.ProductName, Products.CategoryID FROM Products WHERE (((Products.CategoryID)=[forms]![frmMainForm]!...

Help with Receipts
I am trying to modify a 40 column receipt to have more than 5 footer lines. When i edited the xml file (i just copy and pasted lines of code to add more footers). I go into the properties of the xml file and the extra lines are there. When i try to print a receipt it doesn't print anything after the 5th line. Any help would be appreciated. hi Justin, Yes it will work, I am sure that you created the 5th as variable to print. and also added this to printfooter section. once everything is done then you need to Go to SO Manager | Database | Registers | Receipt Format and Select t...

Need Exchange Server 5.5 HELP!!!
Is it possible to setup an Exchange 5.5 Server on top of 2000 Advanced Server without any major difficulties. I have a client that wants to move all their Exchange 5.5 info from NT Server to 2000 Advanced Server. Any issues with Active Directory that I should know about. Was wondering if anyone might be able to direct me to a web site that discusses migration issues. My very basic understanding is that I can export a .pst file to save all personal and employee directories and then just import them on to the new install. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Even though I am an MCSE wit...

How can this Micro customized. Please help
Sub Names() For Each cll In Intersect(ActiveSheet.UsedRange, Columns("A:B")) If Len(cll.Value) < 4 And cll.Value <> "" Then cll.Value = Left(cll.Value & ",,,,", 4) cll.Value = UCase(cll.Value) Next cll End Sub This is an old micro which works perfectly. I need help to make two changes into it. 1. Column A and B are text column for names, instead of capital letters I want those column in sentence case i.e. ANDREW into Andrew. (Everything else should stay the same, comas to make it four if characters are less than four) 2. Colu...

word document not letting me type anything ..help please!
son doing MacBeth homework on word document.it has been saved,we need to add more stuff to it..BUT we can not get the text to work on it..can anyone help? Can you select text? If so, the simplest thing would be to just select everything (ctr + A) and copy and paste it into a new document. There are some other things you could try if that doesn't work. Which version of Word are you using? "lizzydove" wrote: > son doing MacBeth homework on word document.it has been saved,we need to add > more stuff to it..BUT we can not get the text to work on it..can anyo...

Folder message count (Outlook 2003)
One of my mail folders shows the message count in this fashion after the folder name: [7] and is displayed in green. All of the others display the count this fashion: (2) and is in blue. Why is the other different and what do the different bracket styles indicate? Thanks, JHG PS: number in brackets for both styles is always accurate count of unread messages in the folder. one is unread the other is total messages. You can change it per folder by right clicking on the folder and choosing properties. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours C...

workbook macro help #2
Hello there, I would like some help with a macro that I need to run in a workbook. this is the macro. Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Excel.Range) Columns("A:Z").EntireColumn.AutoFit End Sub what or how do I get it to work for every worksheet in the workbook, I currently place the macro in each worksheet which is very time consuming. Is there a way to place the macro in the workbook so all worksheets have the autofit macro? regards Ditchy Hi ditchy, Try putting the following code into the ThisWorkbook module (replace the names of the sheets to single out as ...