Form slowly when used as sub form in access 2007

I have a strange problem with Access 2007. Made a database in Access
2003 years ago. This database uses many sub forms (containing one text
field, based on a query and the text field showing a calculated value
(SUM(..) from the underlying query) .
This have always worked great in Access 2003. Now I installed Access
2007 and have a big problem. Upon opening the database the sub forms
don't show anything in a whole minute. In the left corner of Access
there reads "Calculating . . ." for this minute. Eventually the sub
forms then show the calculated value ok.

I might wanna add that the sub forms opened by themselves show the
calculated value almost instantly.

Why this dramatic drop in performance from 2003 to 2007?

Have tried everything I can think of/ read on these newsgroups
including:
-Made a new database from scratch in Access 2007 and imported
everything to it
-Calculated the sum directly in the query

but I can't figure this out. Was hoping that Office 2007 SP1 would fix
this but no :(
0
Hollsten
2/9/2008 10:18:57 AM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

There are several possibilities here.

Name Autocorrect off?
Subdatasheets disabled in tables?
Path to back end not too long?
Virus scanning software disabled?
Trusted location?

Other suggestions:
    http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/performancefaq.htm

Had to chuckle about making a database in Access
2003 years ago.  :-)

A2007 will be a little slower, but not orders of magnitude.

"Hollsten" <jari.hollsten@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a strange problem with Access 2007. Made a database in Access
> 2003 years ago. This database uses many sub forms (containing one text
> field, based on a query and the text field showing a calculated value
> (SUM(..) from the underlying query) .
> This have always worked great in Access 2003. Now I installed Access
> 2007 and have a big problem. Upon opening the database the sub forms
> don't show anything in a whole minute. In the left corner of Access
> there reads "Calculating . . ." for this minute. Eventually the sub
> forms then show the calculated value ok.
>
> I might wanna add that the sub forms opened by themselves show the
> calculated value almost instantly.
>
> Why this dramatic drop in performance from 2003 to 2007?
>
> Have tried everything I can think of/ read on these newsgroups
> including:
> -Made a new database from scratch in Access 2007 and imported
> everything to it
> -Calculated the sum directly in the query
>
> but I can't figure this out. Was hoping that Office 2007 SP1 would fix
> this but no :(

Allen
2/9/2008 10:42:01 AM
Thanks for your answer Allen.
However; Name autocorrect is off, Subdatasheets are (now) disabled in
all tables, the database isn't split and the location is trusted.
I noticed one more thing; minimizing and restoring the form restores
the form all calculated and ready right away. This is getting stranger
by the minute :)
0
Hollsten

File in 2007 form
I was trying the Beta Office 2007 and made the mistake of saving one of you Excel file in the new 2007 form. I really need it back in the 2003 form. Problem: due to a variety of issues, I de-installed the Beta version and went back to 2003 but for got about the one file.. So; are there any utilities that anyone knows of the will convert this file back two 2003 form?? It is a simple Excel file, meaning that there are no clever or fancy formula or macros, just a collection of parts and part numbers gathered over MUCH time surfing various web sites. Any help or advise (beside the obvious....

Access 2007 Compact problems
I've just installed SP1 for Access 2007. Before the Service Pack, Compact and Repair would create a new compacted file called Database.mdb but wouldn't rename it to the name of the original file (which is what happened in Access 2003). Now it doesn't create a copy at all! Note that this only happens if you are Compacting a file on a network drive. It works fine on a local drive (but since all my work is on a network drive, it's a hassle to say the least) I suppose this is a fix for the intermittent problem whereby Compact would sometimes delete the file altogether (thankfully...

Template styles in Word 2007
I previously created templates in word 2003. Now I have upgraded to 2007, when I create a new doc using my templates, the layout and all is ok, but when I add text and wish to apply 'my styles' they do not appear anywhere? I only seem to have access to the word 2007 styles?! How can I access the styles I created in 2003? Thank you, QB If you can't see the style name in the Styles pane (Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S), try changing the display options for styles. In the Styles pane, click Options. Choose "All styles" for "Select styles to show." Before c...

What is an audience and what is it used for?
Subject pretty much says it all An audience is a way to target items in a SharePoint deployment to specific groups of people based on any number of common attributes. With audiences you can filter what items get displayed on a page, which documents are presented via a web part and the like. They are ways to filter stuff that the user sees. They are not security, but simply filters. You can target things like web parts, documents, links and so on. As an example: if I was to place two web parts on a page, one that displayed a picture of a Coke bottle and one that displayed a pic...

What account to use?
Hello, In Holland there is a new sort of bank-account on which you can deposit (a part of) your (untaxed) income. You can save it up to a certain maximum, that will allow you to go on a vacation, a sabattical or early retirement. You will then be able to get paid from that account, of which the income will then be taxed. I hope that this explanation will be sufficient to give me some leads as to what account to use and how to use it. It's obvious that the deposits will come directly from my paycheck, but maybe I should use a special sort of account. Thanks, Eric In microsoft...

Email already in use
After trying to assign an email address to a user i recieved an error stating that the email address was already in use. After hours of investigating I found that (i think) my top Level Public Folder had been assigned the email address I want to use. When I enter the address into the To: field of Outlook the address changes from info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.com to Public Folder Store(xxxxxxxxxxx). If possible can I access the properties of Public Folder Store(xxxxxxxxxxx) so that I can remove the email address. Kind Regards Iain This article has some illustrations on how to change public...

When and Why to use Set X = Y
Using XL 2003 Noticed different techniques to "energize" a variable, ie: X = Y+2 Set X = Y.Z Could someone please explain or point me to an explanation of these different techniques. I do realize that they are not the same but I do not know why and when to use them. TIA Dennis Set is used when creating an object variable, such as a worksheet or a range, e.g. Set mySheet = Activesheet or Set myRange = Activesheet.Range("A1:A10") you can then manipulate this object in your code. The other form just sets that variable to the value. -- HTH RP "De...

Using a ListCtrl
Hi, I have a listctrl for which the view property is set to Report. I am trying to emulate a grid. I have been able to add values into each row and column (50x20) On the OnClickList event how do I find out which row and column I have clicked on ?? Also how easy is it to change the background color and font of a particular row and column?? Thanks in advance! No need to "reinvent the wheel", probably. Check out the CXListCtrl class on CodeProject: http://www.codeproject.com/listctrl/xlistctrl.asp?target=cxlistctrl In article <OzjxFw5UDHA.1836@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, suud...

Briefcase and Access 2007
I want to use my laptop to add data to one of my Access 2007 database files when I am away from my desk. I tried to use briefcase but received a message which appears to say that briefcase is not supported by Access 2007. Is there another way that I can add data to the file on my lap top then synchronise it with the main file on my PC when I return to my desk. ...

error LNK2001 using Winsock in a class
*VC++ 6.0 *command line application using MFC I would like to use the Winsock API functions in a simple class ("CComm"). Example Program: #include <winsock2.h> //#include <winsock.h> CComm::CComm() { // Initialize Winsock. WSADATA wsaData; m_dwErr = WSAStartup(MAKEWORD(2,2), &wsaData); } The linker returns the following error when including "winsock2.h": Comm.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__WSAStartup@8 or when including "winsock.h" instead of "winsock2.h": Comm.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved externa...

Form Add-On or feature with explorer (help please)
Good Morning Folks, I am trying to find either an add-in or code to automatically put a file explorer inside an Access form. I would like to browse thru a database table that contains a directory and the file explorer displays the contents (files and folders) in a form window. Other things I would like to do inside of the file explorer is double click word docs to open or move thru the directories inside of the file explorer. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance, Mike ...

using Forms and VBA within Excel
I need to develop an application with Excel which will include Forms and VBA code. I have done small projects like this before but this will be significantly larger with 6-10 forms and navigation (via command buttons) between the forms. I have heard rumors that forms within Excel can be troublesome (e.g. they can disappear without warning). I have never had problems with this before. But still wanted to ask the community - are there know issues with using Forms and VBA within Excel. The main functionality of the app will be to validate and capture data, store the data in Excel a...

Description of reasons for Word 2007 macro-enabled document (.DOCM)?
I see the new .DOCM extension in Word 2007 to indicate a macro-enabled document. Is there an advantage to putting macros in a DOCM rather than a DOTM and its associated DOCX? What are the reasons for this new format? Is it a way of avoiding having two files? We use our template only for macros so maybe we could put everything in a DOCM rather than having both a DOTM and DOCX. I couldn't find any detailed info on the Microsoft web site about this new file format, other than just to say it's a macro-enabled document. Is there a discussion about it somewhere? Thanks. On ...

QB Premier 2006 to QB Premier 2007
------------------------------------- Thanks all for your advice and input. I use RMS 2.0 and integrated with Quickbooks 2006. I used that to practice. Now i wish to start using the integration of RMS and Quickbooks 2007.I uninstalled QB 2006 and installed QB 2007. I was surprised that the mapping to Quickbooks 2006 still exist and when i click retrieve, it says an internal quickbooks error occured. Please, how do i change the mapping to reflect the company location for QB 2007? Thanks. ##-----------------------------------------------## Newsgroup Access Courtesy http://ww...

Outlook blocks access
I am trying to sync my large address book in Outlook with my phone using Bluetooth. When I open the connection Outlook tells me an application is trying to open Outlook & allows a maximum of 10minutes to get the information it requires. Unfortunately that's not enough time for my phone to sync all the contacts. Can I disable this feature on a temporary or permanent basis? or can I increase the maximum allowed time currently offered by Outlook. Any help gratefully received Chris Check with your synchronization tool vendor for a newer version that avoids the security prompt....

OWA Access Log
Is there a way we can log all the logon/logout activity for OWA by username or IP address? Thanks. On Mon, 15 May 2006 09:47:01 -0700, WILDPACKET <WILDPACKET@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Is there a way we can log all the logon/logout activity for OWA by username >or IP address? > >Thanks. IIS and event logs. Thank you. I was thinking of some thrid party GUI based tool. "Andy David - MVP" wrote: > On Mon, 15 May 2006 09:47:01 -0700, WILDPACKET > <WILDPACKET@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > > >Is there a way we can log all...

Access 97 to 2002/2003 via JRO/OLEDB
I am able to successfully convert an Access97 database to Access2000, but not directly to Access2003. It appears that 2000 and 2003 use the same Jet database version, but when I open an Access2000 database in Access2003, it says that it is an older version and must be converted to Access2003 before I can use it fully. I would like to create an Access2003 directly using JRO and/or ADO without the need and hassle of opening it in Access to do the conversion. Interestingly, I am able to successfully open an Access2003 (created within Access2003 and not programmatically) using ADO Jet provider ...

How Can I Suspend the Security Check for Programs Trying to Access E-Mail Messages?
I'm running an Outlook Duplicates Remover. As a result, a message keeps popping up alerting me to the fact that the duplicates remover is trying to access e-mail addresses. That's fine ONCE! But when I click on the Yes button to let it continue, the security protection insists that I limit the time to a few minutes; 10 at most. That's nowhere near enough, and I'd really rather not have to baby-sit that application all day. It will run for many HOURS! So, I hope there's a way to temporarily (like for a day) suspend that security check. So, I'd greatly appre...

Excel Grid to Form in Same File???
Hey guys- Just wondering here- I have a standard Excel sheet with all my cols and rows and formulas. I then typically mail merge that into a Word Form/Template for my final printout (this has all the corresponding fields in the form). I am wondering if I can just keep all this in Excel- within 1 file. So, what that looks like is I have my standard Excel grid as normal, but then, maybe on another worksheet, my Template/Form thing that I created that merges the fields from the grid into the print-pretty version of the form. I can then scroll through my forms as if I am scrolling down the rows o...

Using .icf file in outlook 2003
Hello all... I have a .icf file that I want to import into my outlook 2003 calendar. Outlook 2003 doe snot recognize it so it will not import. Is there a utility that will convert an icf file to vdf (format that OL2003 will support) or perhaps an addin to OL2003 that will allow thge icf to process? I have searched the MS website but was unable to find anything on this subject. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. Cheers! Garry "Big-Gee in PoCo" <BigGeeinPoCo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:87B51460-8DA9-411F-B89E-5FA6...

SMTP using SSL with authentication
Help! Setup POP3/SMTP connectivity on this FE 2003 server, plus only allowing authentication and SSL for these users. Tried to setup a test user using Outlook Express, and the test user was able to sucessfully recieve and send emails. Setup a second user, with same privileges, and this user is able to recieve (POP3) emails, but not able to send emails?! Get a 454 error, but this user should be able to send if authenticated, just as well as the first test user... !? What could cause this kind of problem? TIA!! / Per Check: Client submission SMTP VS in ESM: 1. Basic with TLS/SSL e...

"Message interface" problem with Office 2007
I cannot receive new nor delete existing emails. I get the message "The messaaging interface has returned an unknown error. Etc. Restarting Office is futile. I have run the scanpst.exe repair program (twice) and have tried to drag and drop files to an archive but no luck. After the first "repair" was run, the topmost "email" in my inbox suddenly read"Message Class: Message (1111 items, 744 unread) and messages I had long since deleted were again in my Inbox. I can send emails via Outlook but can only receive normal emails in Hotmail althought...

Check box on continuous form
I have a continuous form listing available parts. I need to be able to select a part from the list using a check box (or something that will give a true if selected). I tried an unbound check box, but when clicked, it selects all of the records in the form instead of only the one record. Am I missing a setting? or what can I do to create this selection capability. (which I am then using code to complete the action I need) Thanks Sue On Dec 19, 1:13 pm, Design by Sue <Designby...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have a continuous form listing available parts. I need to...

can't open blocked pictures in e-mail in Outlook 2007
I have no banner at the top of my e-mails in Outlook with the message "Some pictures have been blocked to help....Click here to download pictures. " If I receive the e-mail in Vista's Window's mail, I get the banner and can receive the pictures. The pictures come in on my other networked computer with XP. This problem just started happening in the last month or two. Can anyone advise what I need to do to be able to open these pictures in Outlook 2007? Try emptying the internet temp files. IE's tools, options menu. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Te...

How display digital camera photo on form and print on report?
A client wants to add digital camera photos to a multiuser equipment maintenance database. I do not plan to store the photos in the .mdb, but rather in a folder in the same location as the .mdb. In the .mdb I plan to store the equipment id, the path to the photo, and other fields that will allow multiple photos of a piece of equipment on the same day plus other fields to make the equipment id unique for each photo. So far so good! What object do I use to show the photo on a form? An unbound object frame sounds like what I want, but can't see how to specify the path to the photo...