Form opens to blank record

I have a front page (a form) and my main database linked via a command button
- it keeps opening on a particular record and I want it to open onto a blank
record - how do I go about changing this?

Thanks

(P.S. only a shakey understanding of code so if answer includes this - go
easy on me and explain! Thanks)
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

When you say:

" I have a front page (a form) and my main database linked via a command
button..."

you are not talking about the use of Microsoft Office FrontPage, are you?
http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-FrontPage-2003-OLD-VERSION/dp/B0000AZJV8

I *think* you mean a switchboard type form that opens when the database is
opened. This switchboard form includes a button to open a different form. It
is this different form that you want to open in AddNew mode. Is this correct?
If your answer is "yes", there are three ways to accomplish your goal:

1.) Set a form property for Date Entry to Yes. You can display the
properties dialog by pressing the F4 button when you have the form open in
design view. This property is found on the Data tab, when you are displaying
the properties for the form itself (not for a section or control on the form).

2.) Use a macro to open the form in AddNew mode
Action: OpenForm
Data Mode: Add  <---Found in the lower half of screen, once you select
OpenForm.

3.) Use VBA code with the optional

    DoCmd.OpenForm "FormName", DataMode:=acFormAdd

where FormName is the actual name of your form. For example:

Option Compare Database
Option Explicit

Private Sub cmdAddJob_Click()
On Error GoTo ProcError

   DoCmd.OpenForm "frmJobs", DataMode:=acFormAdd

ExitProc:
   Exit Sub
ProcError:
   MsgBox "Error " & Err.Number & ": " & Err.Description, _
          vbCritical, "Error in cmdAddJob_Click event procedure..."
   Resume ExitProc
End Sub

Tom Wickerath
Microsoft Access MVP
http://www.accessmvp.com/TWickerath/

"Confused87" wrote:

> I have a front page (a form) and my main database linked via a command button
> - it keeps opening on a particular record and I want it to open onto a blank
> record - how do I go about changing this?
>
> Thanks
>
> (P.S. only a shakey understanding of code so if answer includes this - go
> easy on me and explain! Thanks)
Correction:

1.) Set a form property for Date Entry to Yes.

Should have read:

1.) Set a form property for Data Entry to Yes.

"Tom Wickerath" wrote:

> When you say:
>
> " I have a front page (a form) and my main database linked via a command
> button..."
>
> you are not talking about the use of Microsoft Office FrontPage, are you?
> http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-FrontPage-2003-OLD-VERSION/dp/B0000AZJV8
>
> I *think* you mean a switchboard type form that opens when the database is
> opened. This switchboard form includes a button to open a different form. It
> is this different form that you want to open in AddNew mode. Is this correct?
> If your answer is "yes", there are three ways to accomplish your goal:
>
> 1.) Set a form property for Date Entry to Yes. You can display the
> properties dialog by pressing the F4 button when you have the form open in
> design view. This property is found on the Data tab, when you are displaying
> the properties for the form itself (not for a section or control on the form).
>
> 2.) Use a macro to open the form in AddNew mode
> Action: OpenForm
> Data Mode: Add  <---Found in the lower half of screen, once you select
> OpenForm.
>
> 3.) Use VBA code with the optional
>
>     DoCmd.OpenForm "FormName", DataMode:=acFormAdd
>
> where FormName is the actual name of your form. For example:
>
> Option Compare Database
> Option Explicit
>
> Private Sub cmdAddJob_Click()
> On Error GoTo ProcError
>
>    DoCmd.OpenForm "frmJobs", DataMode:=acFormAdd
>
> ExitProc:
>    Exit Sub
> ProcError:
>    MsgBox "Error " & Err.Number & ": " & Err.Description, _
>           vbCritical, "Error in cmdAddJob_Click event procedure..."
>    Resume ExitProc
> End Sub
>

> Tom Wickerath
> Microsoft Access MVP
> http://www.accessmvp.com/TWickerath/
>
> "Confused87" wrote:
>
> > I have a front page (a form) and my main database linked via a command button
> > - it keeps opening on a particular record and I want it to open onto a blank
> > record - how do I go about changing this?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > (P.S. only a shakey understanding of code so if answer includes this - go
> > easy on me and explain! Thanks)

Reservation Form
I have an active website for my business. I built it in Frontpage 2002. It no longer will send email through the settings I used ( Reservation form) and I cannot get it to take any of the settings I give it. I do not think that my knowledge is sufisticated enough. And, I don't think that I am entering the information completely enough. I am using a simple form with a single enter button. Can you help? May be possible. -- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Rob Giordano Microsoft MVP Expression Web "FrontPage 2002 on windows XP" <FrontPage200...

Auto populate a form form an open form
Hi I have a main form with customer names and addresses and would like to add a control button on this form which opens up another form which is used for recording telephone calls on. What I have been trying to do is auto populate this call log form with information from the main form ie name and address? Any thoughts Thanks Chris Chris, Please don't re-post the same question twice. You have to be patient and wait for a reply. Responders are volunteers, and you may not get an answer right away. Posting twice causes some people to respond to the first post, while others are ...

Different graphic for each record in mail merge document
I have 2000 lines in excel which is used to make a merge doc. In the mail merge document, I want to have a graphic associated with each record. How can I modify the merge to make in sort that the graphic will change for each excel line (simultaneous during the merge process). What I have done is the following: 1- I have created a chart for each record in excel. 2- I have added a column to the data table and enter the name of the appropriate chart for each record. 3- I have linked the graphic of the line 2 (the first one) in the mail merge document but doing a paste with link. So, when I...

form pozition on screen
I would like to find form position on screen. It's similar to DoCmd.movesize, but I want discover "parameters' for form position (left corner, top corner, etc) Are you saying that you want to find out what the current position IS? If so, you can use something like this: MyFormLeftVariable = Me.Left MyFormTopVariable = Me.Top MsgBox "My Form is at " & MyFormLeftVariable & VbCrLf & MyFormTopVariable Or however you want to use it. -- Bob Larson Access World Forums Super Moderator Utter Access VIP Tutorials at http://www.btabdevelopment.com ___________...

copy properties Under forms
Hi, I'm wondering if someone can help me with something on copying properties. I've checked the access help but can't find anything there. This is what i want to do. I'm copying text boxes, labels that has caption, name and other information in the properties that i want to keep when i copy the information to another tab on a form. Is there a way i can copy the property information without doing alot of manual work by going into each text or label box. I hope this makes sense. thanks for you help in advance. Keith When you copy a control, everything about the cop...

What is the purpose of 'Dummy' window in the Command forms
I am wondering why GP has Dummy window with title "~internal~" for the Command forms. For example Command_Financial form has Dummy window Do I need to create Dummy window for my Command forms. If so why I need it. Any comments appreciated!!! Hi Mandeep, The Dummy window is there as a placeholder. It really doesn't do anything, but should be there in order for the form to work properly since your form needs to be open for the commands to be available. The title ~internal~ just prevents this window from showing up in the Security assignment windows. Make sure that...

Unique Records #2
Hi Hoping someone might be able to help. I currently use the formula =IF(SUMPRODUCT(($A$2:$A2=A2)*($C$2:$C2=C2))>1,0,1) from the Contextures website to count unique records in data sets, where a record is repeated in two or more rows. I create an additional column as required, and use this field as my count data. Works a treat. However I now have a large dataset (400000 records) for which this is incredibly slow and painful. Is it possible to create a macro to do the same thing, and if so how do I do this and will this speed things up? Thanks in advance. Cheers, Anthony =SUMPRODUCT(-...

Cannot open the Insert object (Pdf file) form Excel 2000(9.0.8968 SP-3)
Dear All, I am no idea why I cannot open the embedded object (Pdf file) inside Excel file which using Windows ME. Once clicked the object icons, then it shows the error message likes " the embedded object cannot be opened by the source application" I used the Adobe reader 6.01 as the source application. Actually, I searched the related forum from the Internet. However, I cannot solve the problem. Anyone helps? Thanks tlee Hi, I can't test 2000 in ME, but it works fine in 2003 under XP. -- If this helps, please click the Yes button. Cheers, Shane Devenshire &q...

Form class module for non-existent form
Hi, After copying a form with a class module, something went wrong. I now have a class module for the new form, but the form no longer exists. I am unable to remove the in-limbo class module. I want to use that name for my form, which is not possible as long as that class module is in the way. How do I get rid of the in-limbo class module? I've tried repairing tha DB as well as "msaccess /decompile" but it hasn't helped. Anything else? Thanks, Kjell Kjell, A class module is not part of a form, but a separate module. It sounds like your 'in-limbo' module is...

Setting the Windows Cursor during Form Processing
hiya gurus I would like to force the mouse cursor to immediately become an hourglass when some long processing/quering commences on a form. it appears that it takes some time for Access to show the hourglass and usually only after the user clicks the form a couple of times because there appears to be nothing happening... Is there an easy way to do this from within Access.. I have done it in VB6 using Me.MousePointer = vbHourglass but this does nto work in Access.. any suggestions? cheers Jeff mmmmm Screen.MousePointer = 11 guess this does it? "jeff" <jeff@work...

opening csv file in regular excel format
i am using office 2003. i used to download csv files and open in regular excel formats...due to some problem i reinstalled windows xp and office 2003...now my csv files open with all values separated by commas and not as before... sould anyone highlight how to download csv files automatically in excel formats withouts commas? suresh babu,chennai,india -- sureshbabussb If the data has commas between each field and you want each field in a separate column, you'll have to make sure that your windows list separator is a comma. (Many places, this list separator is a semicolon.) windows...

Position 2nd Form according to 1st Form
I have 2 Forms. When the 1st Form is openned and want I open the 2nd Form, I want it to position itself about 15cm form the Left and 20cm from the top of the 1st Form. I am using Access 2003, Thanks. "AY" <AY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CFA3A4B5-36D9-4A20-AB57-601290155335@microsoft.com... >I have 2 Forms. When the 1st Form is openned and want I open the 2nd Form, >I > want it to position itself about 15cm form the Left and 20cm from the top > of > the 1st Form. I am using Access 2003, Thanks. You should be able to use Nicole Calinoiu...

TOURNAMENT FORMS
Need tournament draw sheet single elimination template. You may find some old NCAA basketball tournament forms out on the web. Try http://google.com HHSTENNIS wrote: > > Need tournament draw sheet single elimination template. -- Dave Peterson ec35720@msn.com ...

Run Macro only if certain form is open
I have programed a maco to open one of various forms depending on criteria on an open form. Is there a way to run a "follow up Macro" based on which form opens? In other words can I run a macro based on wheather a certain form is active? -- Thanks, Chuck Take a look at the RunMacro Method of the DoCmd object. You can have it as part of the OnLoad of the form in question. Chuck wrote: >I have programed a maco to open one of various forms depending on criteria on >an open form. Is there a way to run a "follow up Macro" based on which form >opens? In other w...

Forms and Input Data
I created a report form on Sheet 1 and a set of input data on subsequen Sheets 2, 3, ... link to the report. The report is to show informatio on either of the data I select. Are there simple steps for me to pick either set of data I want t display on the report? I've thought of a pull-down menu so that if select "1", the report will show data set "1", and so on. Yet I don' know how to do it. I tried the "replace" command by highlighting al the cell in the Report sheet then type "2" in place of "1" to replac the data set then hitting...

Modal form opens on startup
Evenin' - I hope this doesn't come across as stupid, but I'm almost completely unfamiliar with Access. A client of mine has an Access 2000 database containing some business information, and he'd like to have me import it into Quickbooks. The problem I have is that I cannot get to the information to export it from Access. When the file is opened, I get a (I presume) modal form, configured as a 'splash screen' type of thing. Has my client's logo, and the name of the fellow who wrote the Access app. Click that, and it closes, then opens another form for...

how do i find and open a template i developed?

select record before and after, then calculate average.
I've got an intersting update query that I can't seem to figure out. What I am trying to do is identify the records where [O3ppm] is zero and update that value by averaging the hour before and the hour after. So for hour 1100, the value should be 0.04 by averaging the [O3ppm] value for the 1000 hour(before) and the 1200 hour(after). Any help is greatly appreciated. Here is a sample of the data: [ID] [DATE] [TIME] [O3ppm] 30898754 7/1/2005 0 0.02 30898755 7/1/2005 100 0.02 30898756 7/1/200...

can not open excel file, too many different cell formats
can not open a specific excel file, too many different cell formats message appears on my screen. the file contians about 85 work sheets Some info: XL: Error Message: Too Many Different Cell Formats http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=213904 A few people have posted that they could open the file in OpenOffice, then remove some of the formatting, save it and then excel would open that file ok. http://www.openoffice.org, a 60-65 meg download or a CD Abdur wrote: > > can not open a specific excel file, too many different cell formats message > appears on my screen. the ...

Trying to delete form border, and it deletes all borders
I made a form with several individual areas that have borders. At the end I decided to try a border around the whole form. Now that I don't like it, I was trying to delete the form border, but it deletes all the borders in the form as well. How can I just delete the border around the form and not the rest of the individual borders? I'm actually on a different computer, because of the printing, will I be able to undo my way out of it maybe, or do I have to be on the computer where I made the form. One more question, will the form retain the undo feature for ever, or will it stop ...

from start documents i can not open a document from desk top, i n.
to use a excell ducument, from start documents i can not open a document or from from my desktop, i need to open the program and then open the docuement, but why, i can do it in other computer Hi goto 'Tools - Options - General' and uncheck 'Ignore other applications' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany alfonso juarez wrote: > to use a excell ducument, from start documents i can not open a > document or from from my desktop, i need to open the program and then > open the docuement, but why, i can do it in other computer alfonso Tools>Options>Genera...

Temporary Form with 2 Sub form Update Main Form And its Sub form ?
I have 2 table both are exactly same PatientRecordTransTb And PatientRecordTb I know many programmer don’t like TempTb, but in my case I don’t trust some one to mess with my Main record table. So simple solution is make tamp table and after review I click to transfer all records from temp Table to main Table So I have two forms . PatientRecTransFm record sources = PatientRecordTransTb PatientRecordMainFm record source = PatientRecordTb PatientRecTransFm has 2 button AddRecord And Delete Record Here is a short story of my code (NOT A Actual Code) mySQLString = &quo...

How to run a macro by opening a file?
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to run a macro when I open a file? For example, I would like to run a specific macro within file.xls, if current time is between 9 am and 10 am, otherwise, don't run this macro. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do it? I am using XP with SP3 and Office 2003. Thanks in advance for any suggestions Eric hi something like this might work........ Private Sub Workbook_Open() If Time > "9:00 AM" And Time < "10:00 AM" Then call ASpecificMacro Else MsgBox "current time out of range. terminati...

how to solve "Non-modal forms cannot be displayed in this host application"
Hi, I am trying to make a modalless form in VB6 that is compiled as an ActiveX DLL. When i use VC6 to instance the activex DLL, my problem appears that "406 Non-modal forms cannot be displayed in this host application from an ActiveX DLL, ActiveX control or Property Page." I have my form in modalless style in VB6 and they should be instanced in VC. Does anyone know how to get this to work ? Many Thanks, Xiao http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=176468 -- Regards, Nish [VC++ MVP] http://www.voidnish.com http://blog.voidnish.com "arbidol" <arbidol@tom...

Regarding record is invalid or not currently accessible
When hitting send, this pop up window comes up - "The regarding record is invalid or not currently accessible. Change or remove the regarding record." What is the cause of this? Hi We came across the same message when a user tried to link an email using the regarding field. I believe that this could have occured because the user does not have write permissions on the appropriate record. I am unsure of this though and I am hoping that someone can please confirm what the problem may be? Any Ideas? Thanks "zampodia" wrote: > When hitting send, this pop up windo...