Form data entry

Is it possible to have a command button included on a form, that when
clicked the current entry being entered is aborted, without the autonumber
field being tripped to the next number.

eg data entry started and autonumber field shows 7 - data entry aborted -
nothing saved - next new entry shows 8 even although entry 7 does not exist.

Thanks
Sandy

0
Sandy
12/22/2007 12:24:45 PM
access 16762 articles. 2 followers. Follow

It is possible if the form is not based on the table. The form can have the
required fields [except autonumber]. You may use the command button to append
the record.
--
********* http://panjas.org
If the message was helpful to you, click Yes next to Was this post helpful

Sandy wrote:
> Is it possible to have a command button included on a form, that when
> clicked the current entry being entered is aborted, without the
> autonumber field being tripped to the next number.

No

> eg data entry started and autonumber field shows 7 - data entry
> aborted - nothing saved - next new entry shows 8 even although entry
> 7 does not exist.

Any time you care about the value in any way other than it being unique DON'T
use an AutoNumber.

There are many completely normal operations that will produce gaps in AutoNumber
sequences.  For example, if you run an APPEND query but cancel it at the prompt
"You are about to insert 5000 row(s)... Are you sure you want to append the
selected rows?", you will still consume 5000 AutoNumber positions.

If you require a gapless, incrementing sequence of numbers then you need to
assign the numbers your self, either manually or with code.  A common method is
to use code in the BeforeUpdate event.

If Me.NewRecord Then
    Me!IDField = Nz(DMax("IDField", "TableName"),0) + 1
End If

This would still allow for gaps if records are deleted, but it eliminates the
gaps caused by what you are seeing.

--
Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP
Email (as appropriate) to...

0
Rick
12/22/2007 1:11:46 PM
Thank you Rick
Very useful.
Sandy

"Rick Brandt" <rickbrandt2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Sandy wrote:
>> Is it possible to have a command button included on a form, that when
>> clicked the current entry being entered is aborted, without the
>> autonumber field being tripped to the next number.
>
> No
>
>> eg data entry started and autonumber field shows 7 - data entry
>> aborted - nothing saved - next new entry shows 8 even although entry
>> 7 does not exist.
>
> Any time you care about the value in any way other than it being unique
> DON'T use an AutoNumber.
>
> There are many completely normal operations that will produce gaps in
> AutoNumber sequences.  For example, if you run an APPEND query but cancel
> it at the prompt "You are about to insert 5000 row(s)... Are you sure you
> want to append the selected rows?", you will still consume 5000 AutoNumber
> positions.
>
> If you require a gapless, incrementing sequence of numbers then you need
> to assign the numbers your self, either manually or with code.  A common
> method is to use code in the BeforeUpdate event.
>
> If Me.NewRecord Then
>    Me!IDField = Nz(DMax("IDField", "TableName"),0) + 1
> End If
>
> This would still allow for gaps if records are deleted, but it eliminates
> the gaps caused by what you are seeing.
>
> --
> Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP
> Email (as appropriate) to...
> RBrandt   at   Hunter   dot   com

0
Sandy

Reservation Form
I have an active website for my business. I built it in Frontpage 2002. It no longer will send email through the settings I used ( Reservation form) and I cannot get it to take any of the settings I give it. I do not think that my knowledge is sufisticated enough. And, I don't think that I am entering the information completely enough. I am using a simple form with a single enter button. Can you help? May be possible. -- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Rob Giordano Microsoft MVP Expression Web "FrontPage 2002 on windows XP" <FrontPage200...

Login data not remembered
With the latest version, WLM does not (unlike previous versions) remember my login data. After each reboot of the computer, I have to enter my login name and password again. Why is this? Is there something I can do about it? Sorry about my ranting - a little research showed me Jonatahn Kay's Make Messenger Remember, which solves the problem (see http://bit.ly/sZlZV). Hans "msnews.microsoft.com" <mail@hansnaslund.se> skrev i meddelandet news:%23dHZcCmcKHA.1592@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > With the latest version, WLM does not (unlike previous versions) r...

Copy Data From Chart to Chart #3
I have to create separate charts for ten employees. I want to have all the data on one sheet tab. Create the chart on another tab for employee 1, format the chart the way I want and be able to add the data for employee 2, 3, 4, etc. to each tab, using the same format for chart 1 so they all match. So there should be one tab for raw data and 10 tabs for each employee. I’m using Excel 2000 Thank you ...

Auto populate a form form an open form
Hi I have a main form with customer names and addresses and would like to add a control button on this form which opens up another form which is used for recording telephone calls on. What I have been trying to do is auto populate this call log form with information from the main form ie name and address? Any thoughts Thanks Chris Chris, Please don't re-post the same question twice. You have to be patient and wait for a reply. Responders are volunteers, and you may not get an answer right away. Posting twice causes some people to respond to the first post, while others are ...

form pozition on screen
I would like to find form position on screen. It's similar to DoCmd.movesize, but I want discover "parameters' for form position (left corner, top corner, etc) Are you saying that you want to find out what the current position IS? If so, you can use something like this: MyFormLeftVariable = Me.Left MyFormTopVariable = Me.Top MsgBox "My Form is at " & MyFormLeftVariable & VbCrLf & MyFormTopVariable Or however you want to use it. -- Bob Larson Access World Forums Super Moderator Utter Access VIP Tutorials at http://www.btabdevelopment.com ___________...

copy properties Under forms
Hi, I'm wondering if someone can help me with something on copying properties. I've checked the access help but can't find anything there. This is what i want to do. I'm copying text boxes, labels that has caption, name and other information in the properties that i want to keep when i copy the information to another tab on a form. Is there a way i can copy the property information without doing alot of manual work by going into each text or label box. I hope this makes sense. thanks for you help in advance. Keith When you copy a control, everything about the cop...

What is the purpose of 'Dummy' window in the Command forms
I am wondering why GP has Dummy window with title "~internal~" for the Command forms. For example Command_Financial form has Dummy window Do I need to create Dummy window for my Command forms. If so why I need it. Any comments appreciated!!! Hi Mandeep, The Dummy window is there as a placeholder. It really doesn't do anything, but should be there in order for the form to work properly since your form needs to be open for the commands to be available. The title ~internal~ just prevents this window from showing up in the Security assignment windows. Make sure that...

Cannot open the Insert object (Pdf file) form Excel 2000(9.0.8968 SP-3)
Dear All, I am no idea why I cannot open the embedded object (Pdf file) inside Excel file which using Windows ME. Once clicked the object icons, then it shows the error message likes " the embedded object cannot be opened by the source application" I used the Adobe reader 6.01 as the source application. Actually, I searched the related forum from the Internet. However, I cannot solve the problem. Anyone helps? Thanks tlee Hi, I can't test 2000 in ME, but it works fine in 2003 under XP. -- If this helps, please click the Yes button. Cheers, Shane Devenshire &q...

comparing data
I have a list of item codes in column A and a list of item codes i column F and I need to know which item codes appear in both columns Can someone please tell me the best way to get a list of the item code that appear in BOTH of the columns. Thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi see http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm#ExtractingCommon -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > I have a list of item codes in column A and a list of item codes in > column F and I need to know which item codes appear in both columns. > Can someone please tell me the be...

Form class module for non-existent form
Hi, After copying a form with a class module, something went wrong. I now have a class module for the new form, but the form no longer exists. I am unable to remove the in-limbo class module. I want to use that name for my form, which is not possible as long as that class module is in the way. How do I get rid of the in-limbo class module? I've tried repairing tha DB as well as "msaccess /decompile" but it hasn't helped. Anything else? Thanks, Kjell Kjell, A class module is not part of a form, but a separate module. It sounds like your 'in-limbo' module is...

Go Immediately To A Particular Cell After Inputting Data In Another Cell And Hitting Enter
I'm inputting data in E3 and after I hit enter I want B2 to be selected. But only for E3 and only in one worksheet. And possibly a further step... Sometimes the formula in B2 has picked up data from another place depending on what value was entered in E3. If it's done this then I won't need to go to B2, I'd want to go to A8 after E3 instead of B2. Put this in the code module of the worksheet that contains the ranges you are working with. Right click the sheet name tab, select View Code from the pop up menu and paste this into the code window that appears on scre...

Setting the Windows Cursor during Form Processing
hiya gurus I would like to force the mouse cursor to immediately become an hourglass when some long processing/quering commences on a form. it appears that it takes some time for Access to show the hourglass and usually only after the user clicks the form a couple of times because there appears to be nothing happening... Is there an easy way to do this from within Access.. I have done it in VB6 using Me.MousePointer = vbHourglass but this does nto work in Access.. any suggestions? cheers Jeff mmmmm Screen.MousePointer = 11 guess this does it? "jeff" <jeff@work...

Journal entry has already been posted error
I have a client that uses Wennsoft and Great Plains. When they go to Transactions > Job Cost > Job Transaction Entry and click on the magnifying glass next to journal entry number, they can see a list of journal entries that should have been posted. If they click on one to try to bring it to the sreen they receive a message "Journal entry XXX has already been posted." They can see where it posted on the financial side, but not against the job. Can anyone tell me what is going on and how I can fix this? Thanks, Jocelyn ...

Link to last entry #2
Well thanks for this, it has opened up the whole new concept of array formulas for me. As a novice, however, I seem to be doing something wrong. I have carried out the follwing steps; Entered a number of values in column A Entered the formula in Cell B1 and pressed CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER I then get message saying that the formula contains an error The part of the formula A65535"" is highlighted (I found it would accept the formula without these two quotation marks - but of course it does not return the right value) Is it possible to tell from this what I am doing wrong? Thanks in adva...

Position 2nd Form according to 1st Form
I have 2 Forms. When the 1st Form is openned and want I open the 2nd Form, I want it to position itself about 15cm form the Left and 20cm from the top of the 1st Form. I am using Access 2003, Thanks. "AY" <AY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CFA3A4B5-36D9-4A20-AB57-601290155335@microsoft.com... >I have 2 Forms. When the 1st Form is openned and want I open the 2nd Form, >I > want it to position itself about 15cm form the Left and 20cm from the top > of > the 1st Form. I am using Access 2003, Thanks. You should be able to use Nicole Calinoiu...

TOURNAMENT FORMS
Need tournament draw sheet single elimination template. You may find some old NCAA basketball tournament forms out on the web. Try http://google.com HHSTENNIS wrote: > > Need tournament draw sheet single elimination template. -- Dave Peterson ec35720@msn.com ...

Run Macro only if certain form is open
I have programed a maco to open one of various forms depending on criteria on an open form. Is there a way to run a "follow up Macro" based on which form opens? In other words can I run a macro based on wheather a certain form is active? -- Thanks, Chuck Take a look at the RunMacro Method of the DoCmd object. You can have it as part of the OnLoad of the form in question. Chuck wrote: >I have programed a maco to open one of various forms depending on criteria on >an open form. Is there a way to run a "follow up Macro" based on which form >opens? In other w...

Forms and Input Data
I created a report form on Sheet 1 and a set of input data on subsequen Sheets 2, 3, ... link to the report. The report is to show informatio on either of the data I select. Are there simple steps for me to pick either set of data I want t display on the report? I've thought of a pull-down menu so that if select "1", the report will show data set "1", and so on. Yet I don' know how to do it. I tried the "replace" command by highlighting al the cell in the Report sheet then type "2" in place of "1" to replac the data set then hitting...

Modal form opens on startup
Evenin' - I hope this doesn't come across as stupid, but I'm almost completely unfamiliar with Access. A client of mine has an Access 2000 database containing some business information, and he'd like to have me import it into Quickbooks. The problem I have is that I cannot get to the information to export it from Access. When the file is opened, I get a (I presume) modal form, configured as a 'splash screen' type of thing. Has my client's logo, and the name of the fellow who wrote the Access app. Click that, and it closes, then opens another form for...

Trying to delete form border, and it deletes all borders
I made a form with several individual areas that have borders. At the end I decided to try a border around the whole form. Now that I don't like it, I was trying to delete the form border, but it deletes all the borders in the form as well. How can I just delete the border around the form and not the rest of the individual borders? I'm actually on a different computer, because of the printing, will I be able to undo my way out of it maybe, or do I have to be on the computer where I made the form. One more question, will the form retain the undo feature for ever, or will it stop ...

how to solve "Non-modal forms cannot be displayed in this host application"
Hi, I am trying to make a modalless form in VB6 that is compiled as an ActiveX DLL. When i use VC6 to instance the activex DLL, my problem appears that "406 Non-modal forms cannot be displayed in this host application from an ActiveX DLL, ActiveX control or Property Page." I have my form in modalless style in VB6 and they should be instanced in VC. Does anyone know how to get this to work ? Many Thanks, Xiao http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=176468 -- Regards, Nish [VC++ MVP] http://www.voidnish.com http://blog.voidnish.com "arbidol" <arbidol@tom...

Temporary Form with 2 Sub form Update Main Form And its Sub form ?
I have 2 table both are exactly same PatientRecordTransTb And PatientRecordTb I know many programmer don’t like TempTb, but in my case I don’t trust some one to mess with my Main record table. So simple solution is make tamp table and after review I click to transfer all records from temp Table to main Table So I have two forms . PatientRecTransFm record sources = PatientRecordTransTb PatientRecordMainFm record source = PatientRecordTb PatientRecTransFm has 2 button AddRecord And Delete Record Here is a short story of my code (NOT A Actual Code) mySQLString = &quo...

Customization to a Contact Form Does NOT Stick
Everytime I try to add a field in a Contact form, the change does not stick. I have administrator rights, followed the instructions to customize a form to the t. The instructions entailed going to: Home -> Settings Settings tab -> System Customization Record Management -> Contacts Add Fields -select fields to add ok - > save work On the CRM server Start -> Programs -> Microsoft CRM -> Deployment Manager Right click: Deployment Manager -> All Tasks ->Publish Customization Select form customized Add Finish OK Restart IIS After performing these steps, I get b...

I need book lending forms
Please I need your help, I'm looking for book lending forms in order to keep control of which books I'm borrowing and when they have to be returned to me. Thanks ...

Using list box to open forms
I have a list box that lists all the forms in my database. I would like a user to be able to double click on something in the list box, and have it open the corresponding form. Any help on how to do this would be appreciated. Thanks. On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 16:35:22 -0000, lecoughlin@gmail.com wrote: > I have a list box that lists all the forms in my database. I would > like a user to be able to double click on something in the list box, > and have it open the corresponding form. Any help on how to do this > would be appreciated. > > Thanks. Code the list box Double-Cli...