fields taking data from one record to another

I have a coworker who is experiencing problems with a database that
she created. The main table in this database lists client information,
including first name, last name, address, etc. Within the past 1-2
weeks, they've noticed problems where people's information is
incorrect when they pull records back up. For example a record this
morning came up with a man's name being switched from Lawrence to
Elizabeth... In every case, the field now contains the same
information that is in the record before it.. so for example in this
case the record before the one for Lawrence was for a women named
Elizabeth. This has happened in several fields so it doesn't appear
that one particular field is the problem.

I have already asked them to watch for people accidentally using the
CRTL+apostrophe key combo and was told this was not the problem
(although I have not watched any data entry to be sure this is not the
case.) I also know that there are some other things that need to be
done to this database to help prevent user input errors (specifically
creating a data entry form so staff are not able to delete/change
current records.) This will all be done after the program ends in
September.

However, for now, the problem of record corruption continues.. Are
they any thoughts to what might be occurring here?? My thoughts keep
going back to user input errors but even then I don't know what they
are doing to cause this.

Thanks.

0
psu2000
8/13/2007 5:27:36 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

If users are able to change table data directly, all kinds of errors can
occur. The best solution, as you probably know, is to create a data entry
/edit form so you can validate records and control how they are changed.  Are
users able to update table information directly, or using update or append
queries?

Meahwhile, you have a primary key on each client?

"psu2000" wrote:

> I have a coworker who is experiencing problems with a database that
> she created. The main table in this database lists client information,
> including first name, last name, address, etc. Within the past 1-2
> weeks, they've noticed problems where people's information is
> incorrect when they pull records back up. For example a record this
> morning came up with a man's name being switched from Lawrence to
> Elizabeth... In every case, the field now contains the same
> information that is in the record before it.. so for example in this
> case the record before the one for Lawrence was for a women named
> Elizabeth. This has happened in several fields so it doesn't appear
> that one particular field is the problem.
>
> I have already asked them to watch for people accidentally using the
> CRTL+apostrophe key combo and was told this was not the problem
> (although I have not watched any data entry to be sure this is not the
> case.) I also know that there are some other things that need to be
> done to this database to help prevent user input errors (specifically
> creating a data entry form so staff are not able to delete/change
> current records.) This will all be done after the program ends in
> September.
>
> However, for now, the problem of record corruption continues.. Are
> they any thoughts to what might be occurring here?? My thoughts keep
> going back to user input errors but even then I don't know what they
> are doing to cause this.
>
> Thanks.

picture and data question
I want to have a picture under the data so I can enter data and have both print out. I have the picture in the workbook. Now I need to enter data over the picture. I am sure there is something simple I am missing, but... How would I manage to do this? dave On Jan 20, 1:33 pm, Dave Gerecke <dave.gere...@netconnect.com.au> wrote: > I want to have a picture under the data so I can enter data and have > both print out. > I have the picture in the workbook. > Now I need to enter data over the picture. I am sure there is something > simple I am missing, but... > How would I ...

validate a field based on sum of other fields
I have to assign commission to agents for each "order". I can have anywhere from 1 agent at 100% commission to 5 agents with every possible combination of percentages. Obviously, I need the percentage entries to only add up to 100 and I'd like to force the user to adjust the figures until they total 100. Firstly, am I right in assuming it would be better to be assigning the agents to the orderIDs in separate records: OrderID, Agent, Agent Percentage (as opposed to having one record contain the OrderID, Agent1, Agent1Percentage, Agent2, Agent2Percentage, Agent3, Agent3Pe...

Pivot Table Calculated field #3
I have a pivot table with columns for No's, Yes's and Grand Total. I would like to calculate the % of Yes's by dividing the Yes's by the Grand total. Can someone give me an easy explanation of how to do that or a source? I have tried every thing I can think of and the directions I have found have not helped.... Thanks, Ann To calculate total percent Yes, you could use the GETPIVOTDATA function in a formula outside the pivot table. For example: =GETPIVOTDATA("Region",$A$5,"Valid","Yes")/GETPIVOTDATA("Region",$A$5) MOE wrote: &g...

Outlook 2003 Contact data

Adding several Excel files into one
I have about three separate Excel forms that I want to put into one file but on their own spread sheet. Can this be done? If so, can it be done with me having to resize the cells. I've tried this before with cut and paste but I have to resize the cells. Too much for allot of cells. Thanks in advance First do a PASTE SPECIAL and select Column Widths then do a simple paste. "Kenny Dee" wrote: > I have about three separate Excel forms that I want to put into one file but > on their own spread sheet. Can this be done? If so, can it be done with me > having to resi...

Locking Field position on screen.
I have created a simple form in Word 2007 with maybe 2 or 3 fields across and 3 or 4 fields down, but my problem is I would like to be able to lock the field positions in place on the screen. When I type in a field, the field to the left moves. I need to lock the position. Can this be done. Frank Most forms designers put form fields in table cells of a fixed dimension. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "Francis Cunningham, Jr." <FrancisCunninghamJr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in m...

scripto to cut/paste to next field
Here is my situation: 1) A page on IE will be open, and I will have a cursor in a field on the page (field that has text in it) 2) I need to hit a shortcut (ctrl-shft-something) that cuts everything to the right of the cursor, advances a field (effectively, replicates ‘tab’ action), and pastes Anyone have some code (and instructions on what to do with the code) that may solve the above? -- Boris "BorisS" <BorisS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D4B54CE9-F2A4-4195-B2E3-ABA75A49202C@microsoft.com... > Here is my situation: > > 1...

Data file size so large
My wife has been using Publisher 2000. She makes a document for her nursery school. The document is only about 20 pages but the file grows to an enormous size (like way over 1 gigabyte) during the develpment process of making the document. It does have lots of pictues but they are typically 50 to 100K in size. To me it seems that the program is doing a terrible job of managing the file and maybe keeping old deleted stuff in it. Right now on a Pentium III/500 it takes forever to open and edit files. She has broken the document into four separate files but even those are so large that sh...

Unhide more than one worksheet at a time
I have a worksheet that contains 50 hidden worksheets. Is there a method or macro that somebody knows of where I can unhide more than one workseet at a time? Thanks, Dave =@===----¬----¬----¬.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·<º))))>< Dave, Try the following code: Sub AAA() Dim WS As Worksheet For Each WS In ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets WS.Visible = True Next WS End Sub -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "DBavi...

text field to date field field
I have a database that has a text field called "visit" it has been filled with data ie., " 6/22/07 - not good, " the field may also be blank or it may contain random text after the date. In some cases no date at all just text. I would like to create a new field called DateVisit that contains just the dates that were entered in the field "visit" it has been a struggle and I have made no progress please help abbenj@verizon.net/nospam From your description, the field might contain a date, or a date and text, or text, or nothing. How would you explai...

When printing a contact the other field (Notes) get cut off
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: Exchange Also when just viewing the contact in the address book. <br> I have tried this on two different macbook pro's and the issue is the same. Tried a different printer also. Please help On 3/10/10 12:47 PM, mwilshrie@officeformac.com wrote: > Also when just viewing the contact in the address book. I have tried > this on two different macbook pro's and the issue is the same. Tried > a different printer also. Please help Can you post a picture of what you're de...

Form Fields In Outlook Template
Help !!! I'm not a developer, just a user, but I need some help. What I want to do is create an Outlook 2003 template, that uses form fields (Text, drop down boxes, etc.....) However, it looks like to properly create an Outlook template, you cannot use Word as your editor. But if I do not use Word as the editor, then I cannot access the Form Toolbar. This cannot be a new request - but I just cannot seem to figure this out. Help !!! Thank you See my response to your other post on this issue.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart...

copying workbooks with charts and changing data
As I've got to process several data of same kind, I create several copies of one workbook (1) that contains several charts When I use a copy of workbook 1 (2) with new values, the charts always refers to data in (1)...how can I do to use the values of (2)....?? How are you copying the original chart? If the chart is in the same workbook as the data, you should have no problem if you do Save As with the entire workbook, or if you make a copy of the file in Windows Explorer. When you start copying charts separately from copying their data, the charts always point to the data you don&#...

Default fields in new fields
Using Outlook 2K When creating a new mail folder, it does not include the Subject and Received fields necessitating their having to be added every time. How can I get this to revert to the default fields? Thanks, Cathy ...

how to stop emails incoming its taking a long time to download
i got 39 messages incoming its taking a long time so how to stop them from incoming Best asked in the Outlook or Outlook Express usegroup? Eventually they're all going to come in anyhow unless you have a way to delete them off of the server. Remember, you can go do other things while the emails are downloading in the background, although surfing may be a bit slow. "emails incoming" wrote: > i got 39 messages incoming its taking a long time so how to stop them from > incoming ...

multiple critera for one field in a query
Hi, i am trying to get a count of a certain criteria but in different columns. Its hard to explain, but assume i have a table which consists of... A 550 B 600 C 20 A 100 C 75 B 120 D 390 Then in a query I am trying to have the result of: Over 500 Over 100 Over 25 Under 25 A 1 1 0 0 B 1 1 0 0 C 0 0 1 1 D 0 1 0 0 The way i have done...

How do I multiply an entire page of formulas by one multiplier?
I have multiple worksheets with different formulas in each cell. i want to take all cells on the worksheet and multiply them by a single multiplier. Each answer would vary as each cell has a different formula. Is this possible? Thanks! Put the multiplier in a cell. Edit/Copy that cell. Then select the cells to be modified, and Edit/Paste Special and select the Formulas and Multiply options. On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 15:39:02 -0700, "Jami" <Jami@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have multiple worksheets with different formulas in each cell. i want to >take all cells...

required fields
Hello: Through either VBA or Modifier, is it possible to make a field that is required in Great plains by design to not be required but be optional instead? I doubt it. The best that I could come up with was to just have VBA fill the required field with a "dummy" piece of information and move on. Any other ideas? I suppose the only other way is through Dexterity. The field is the "Interview Range from 1 to" in the HR Interview Setup window. I just decided to have VBA fill it with "01". Thanks! childofthe1980s You are right, fields Required by GP cann...

IV00102 Fields
These four fields are set to zero when I create a new item and assign it to a location. However, when I look at the table descriptions zero is not a valid value for any of them. Are these four fields currently used for anything or are they there for future use? This currently is GP10 SP3. 1) IV00102.REPLENISHLEVEL 2) IV00102.POPVENDORSELECTION 3) IV00102.POPPRICINGSELECTION 4) IV00102.PICKTICKETITEMOPT Rich, Replenishment Level is the default replenishment level for POP Auto Generator. Values are 1, 2 and 3. 1 for Order point QTy, 2 for order upto level, 3 for vendor EoQ. If these fiel...

microsoft.crm.proxy. class which can look up data from specific ob
To look up data from a account, you can use CRMAccount-class, to look up data from a contact, you use CRMContact. This is done by giving the id and you get back the data. But in the header CRM can also give an objectid, which specifies wich object is being used. Is there a class I can use in which you give the object-type and the object-id? So you'll have something like CRMObjects(objecttypecode, objectid). Best Regards! "Chris Plenter" wrote: > To look up data from a account, you can use CRMAccount-class, to look up data > from a contact, you use CRMContact. This...

Data Labels #8
Excel 2000: The data labels are showing with a white background on a gray plot area. I have formatted the data label background to the same colour of gray but it remains white when I print the chart. I'm obviously doing something wrong. Any suggesions? Connie Hi, What happens if you set the data labels area colour to None rather than the colour of the plot area? Cheers Andy Connie Martin wrote: > Excel 2000: The data labels are showing with a white background on a gray > plot area. I have formatted the data label background to the same colour of > gray but it r...

Field by Field Comparison
I have two tables with the exact same column names. I want to do a field by field comparison of the two tables. If one letter or number is off in any field, I would like for the whole record to show up in my query. I can only figure out how to show records which are equal. I would like to show records which are not equal. Is there a query criteria or something where I can perform this? Thanks. Do a UNION query. Create a query that lists all the field in one table. Then open that query in SQL view. At the end of the SQL, delete the semicolon ";". At the...

splitting a field into two fields; one in ()
I have a Name field in my database that is LastName,FirstName(dept). I have figured out how to split last name and first name but I don't know how to leave out the department name that is in () after the first name. Any suggestions? Quick and Dirty way to get the field down to just LastName,Firstname is to use the following as an expression in a query: LastFirst:Left([Name],Instr([Name],"(")-1) This should give you all of the characters to the left of the opening parenthesis. You could then apply your method for splitting the First and Last Names. HTH ...

Joining fields into one field dependent on value of another field
Hi, Below is a sample of data of a query which I need assistance in - Group Fertiliser ApplicationRate 1 TSP 3 2 EFB 230 3 Kies. 3 4 EFB 230 4 Kies. 3 5 TSP 3 5 Kies. 3 7 EFB 230 7 TSP 3 7 Kies. 3 >From this, I would like to create a field such that it shows eg. Group FertiliserDescription 1 TSP (3) 2 EFB (230) 3 Kies. (3) 4 EFB (230), Kies(3) 7 EFB(230),TSP(3),Kies(3) I am able to put Fertiliser and ApplicationRate together ie. Fertiliser& "(" &ApplicationRate& ")" My problem being how to add a statement saying th...

How do I install the Data Analysis Toolkit from Office Basic CD?
I have Microsoft Office Basic 2003 on my computer, and I have the CD. However for a school report I need the Data Analysis Toolkit which isn't installed. How do I install this feature? Tools - Addins. Check the one you want. -- Earl Kiosterud www.smokeylake.com "Shannon" <Shannon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5CC07991-E603-4B55-87D7-DDE38D8EB5FA@microsoft.com... >I have Microsoft Office Basic 2003 on my computer, and I have the CD. >However > for a school report I need the Data Analysis Toolkit which isn't > installed. > How do...