Field Type Change

I am trying to change a free text field to a drop down menu in my
current database, that already has data entered for this particular
field, in order to avoid multiple versions of the same organization
that are just typed in differently.

I'm assuming that I'll need to recode the different versions of an
entry to make them uniform but after that, I'm unsure how to proceed
so I won't lose any data.  Is this possible or will I need to delete
the field, recreate it as a drop down and then re-enter the data?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

0
michael
6/14/2007 3:48:03 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Thanks everyone for all the input and advice so for.  To clarify - the
change that I need to make is to change a free-text field in a form to
a drop down with 11 choices.  From what I can gather so far, I need to
create a new table with the 11 responses I want to allow and link that
to the corresponding field in the form.  At this point is where I am
getting lost again.  If I standardize my already entered data, can I
somehow link it to the new table that I create so I don't have to re-
enter the data?

Thanks again,

Mike

On Jun 14, 9:25 am, hilly1609 <f...@fhsservices.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
> If I understand you correctly the item you want to change is on a form for
> data entry or similar. This form is independant of the form and the use of a
> text box or a combo requires a text field in the table, - the data
> requirement is the same and should not lose any existing data.
> There is a wizard that will change a text box to a combo which is in the
> toolbar when you highlight the text box - that save a lot of messing.
> If you are entering the same data over and over with the possibility of
> wrong input or spelling it seems to me that your table design needs
> modification to get a related table to hold the primary information and this
> to be referenced from the form.
> There is also a wizard that will look at you table design and suggest
> relationship and key fields.
> Good luck,
> Frank
>

> "michael.m.t...@gmail.com" wrote:
> > I am trying to change a free text field to a drop down menu in my
> > current database, that already has data entered for this particular
> > field, in order to avoid multiple versions of the same organization
> > that are just typed in differently.
>
> > I'm assuming that I'll need to recode the different versions of an
> > entry to make them uniform but after that, I'm unsure how to proceed
> > so I won't lose any data.  Is this possible or will I need to delete
> > the field, recreate it as a drop down and then re-enter the data?
>
> > Thanks in advance!
>
> > Mike- Hide quoted text -

Mike
6/18/2007 4:54:43 PM
Hi Mike,
If the 11 entries are only for this form the you can out them into the combo
as the recordsource by typing them striaght in with : in between each entry.
Eg: Hospital:Clinic:Surgery etc..
If you want 2 columns you would do 1:Hospital:2:Clinic:3:Surgery etc - then
set the column count to 2.
With 2 columns if you make the bound column - number 1 then the number would
be entered in the table which is better design practice as you can change the
entries easier with a digit entry.
If you used a single column - the data you ahve at the moment would need to
reflect exactly what you are putting and the could be done with update
queries That would isolate 1 group of entries and change hem collectively to
the required format or spelling.
You will not lose any data as you are now messing with the tables  only a
single field.
Cheers,
Frank

"Mike" wrote:

> Thanks everyone for all the input and advice so for.  To clarify - the
> change that I need to make is to change a free-text field in a form to
> a drop down with 11 choices.  From what I can gather so far, I need to
> create a new table with the 11 responses I want to allow and link that
> to the corresponding field in the form.  At this point is where I am
> getting lost again.  If I standardize my already entered data, can I
> somehow link it to the new table that I create so I don't have to re-
> enter the data?
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Mike
>
> On Jun 14, 9:25 am, hilly1609 <f...@fhsservices.co.uk> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > If I understand you correctly the item you want to change is on a form for
> > data entry or similar. This form is independant of the form and the use of a
> > text box or a combo requires a text field in the table, - the data
> > requirement is the same and should not lose any existing data.
> > There is a wizard that will change a text box to a combo which is in the
> > toolbar when you highlight the text box - that save a lot of messing.
> > If you are entering the same data over and over with the possibility of
> > wrong input or spelling it seems to me that your table design needs
> > modification to get a related table to hold the primary information and this
> > to be referenced from the form.
> > There is also a wizard that will look at you table design and suggest
> > relationship and key fields.
> > Good luck,
> > Frank
> >

> > "michael.m.t...@gmail.com" wrote:
> > > I am trying to change a free text field to a drop down menu in my
> > > current database, that already has data entered for this particular
> > > field, in order to avoid multiple versions of the same organization
> > > that are just typed in differently.
> >
> > > I'm assuming that I'll need to recode the different versions of an
> > > entry to make them uniform but after that, I'm unsure how to proceed
> > > so I won't lose any data.  Is this possible or will I need to delete
> > > the field, recreate it as a drop down and then re-enter the data?
> >
> > > Thanks in advance!
> >
> > > Mike- Hide quoted text -

splitting a field into two fields; one in ()
I have a Name field in my database that is LastName,FirstName(dept). I have figured out how to split last name and first name but I don't know how to leave out the department name that is in () after the first name. Any suggestions? Quick and Dirty way to get the field down to just LastName,Firstname is to use the following as an expression in a query: LastFirst:Left([Name],Instr([Name],"(")-1) This should give you all of the characters to the left of the opening parenthesis. You could then apply your method for splitting the First and Last Names. HTH ...

Automate From Field
Hi all I posted this last week but it seems MS deleted a load of its forums, including the VBA one I'd posted to :-(. So here goes again... From MS Access 2003, I have a routine in code that automates an email. I can autofill the To, cc, subject, body field etc but now I need to also send from a different user using the 'From' field. I tried adding this in the same way to my code using: .from but it seems this is not a supported method? I receive and Access error 438: Object does not support this property of method. Please can any one tell me if this is po...

Using "Avg" function on calculated field
In a report I have a calculated field as "=Nz([Total],0)/Hrs" which works fine. In the report footer I tried to get the average of the values in this column so I used "=Avg(Nz([Total],0)/Hrs) but when I run it it asks me for the value of "Hrs". Neither "hrs" nor "total" are calculated fields and no error is generated either. The output for the average is just blank. I tried =Avg(Nz([Total],0)/(Nz(Hrs,))) which did not work either. What am I missing? There's a couple of potential issues here. It sounds like Hrs is a field in the table/quer...

Change back to Outlook default Calendar folder
Some application/add on has changed my default Outlook Calendar folder to one named 'Michaels Calendar' and all of my appointments are automatically going there. I want to change it back to the standard 'Calendar' folder that Outlook would normally use (first folder in the folder list). How can I do that? "msoul2" <msoul2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B006D1A1-2367-4AD8-B9EA-487F421C2CFB@microsoft.com... > Some application/add on has changed my default Outlook Calendar folder to > one > named 'Michaels Calendar&#...

Alerts on account/contact changes
Hi, In SBS 2003, sharepoint services offer some terrific features for handling alerts an notifying "interested parties". Is there any way (or a third party addon) that accomplished this in the CRM when anuthing changes for an account/contact/opportunity? Thanks in advance Barry Barry, using Workflow (ships with the Professional versions of CRM) it is possible to have these events trigger other events. You should check the workflow documentation for more details on the limitations of Workflow. Dave "Barry Mavin" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote ...

Change Password Message in OWA 5.5
Each time a user logs into OWA they get a message to change their password when it is not necessary. Where to look to resolve the problem? -- Mark Anthony MCSE 2003 On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 10:41:00 -0800, Masitpro_mcse <Masitpromcse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Each time a user logs into OWA they get a message to change their password >when it is not necessary. Where to look to resolve the problem? By Not necessary, do you mean, its not expired, or is it the notification that their password is about to expire? THe default notification interval in 5.5 OWA was 14 days. Ch...

Sheet name changing dilemma
So I have a workbook with 9 sheets of data and 9 more sheets of charts and graphs that feed off of that data. The nine sheets of data rotate each week. Week 1 of data rolls off and a new week 9 of data rolls on. I'm working on do this via a macro. Here's the problem: the two options I know of are to copy and paste all of the data from each sheet to next sheet (i.e. copy week 2 data and paste on week 1 sheet, copy week 3 and pasted on week 2, etc.) OR I could have the macro just rename the sheets. For obvious reasons that would be the preferred method. However, it screws...

Tasks
Please, can anyone shed some light on what happened ... In Outlook 2000 - yesterday all (1500+) completed tasks changed from completed to "not started" tasks. The assigned tasks sent automatically status reports to who had assigned the task - and sent messages to those who I had assigned tasks to. At one point 169 messages were in my out box. Messages were only sent to those related to tasks - not to my contact list. Many of my preferences were changed, i.e., fonts. We have updated McAffee software and did not find a virus or worm. E-mail: pedptot@comcast.net Thanks f...

top margin on 40 col rct won't change
Hi all, I am trying to move the top margin down about 3 inches in a standard slip rcpt. It won't move. I can move the left, right or bottom, click refresh and see the change. But the top margin won't budge. I'd ask my "partner" but he's promised me a custom package for 6 months, now. We're opening up our seasonal business, and am trying to do what I can on my own, in order to operate at all!!!Thanks for any suggestions any of you can provide. Sallie ...

change day number font size of all 12 calendar pages at one time
Using the calendar template provided in Publisher 2007, I would like to change the font size of the day numbers to 24 pt in bold and I would like to do it one time instead of 12 times every time I want to make a format or font change. -- RM This link should help! http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/publisher/HP012317361033.aspx -- The Code Cage Team Regards, The Code Cage Team www.thecodecage.com ------------------------------------------------------------------------ The Code Cage Team's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=2 View this thread: http://www.th...

Date stamping a text or memo field problem
I have some fields (text or memo) that I am tring to date/time stamp using a cmdbutton to execute the following code; Private Sub DateTimeStamp() Dim StampText As String Me.Comment.SetFocus Me.Comment.SelStart = 0 StampText = "[ " & Format(Date, "dd-mmm-yy") & " " & Format(Time, "hh: mm ampm") & " ] " Me.Comment = StampText & vbCrLf & Me.Comment Me.Comment.SelStart = Len(StampText) + 1 End Sub It inserts the date/time but does not add the 2 spaces after the last " ] " (ad...

Changing display name (FROM header)
Hi I have a customer with SBS2003 (Exchange2003) that used to have logins with just the name of the person (ex. David), he has the email address Export@Domain.com. When he sent emails, it appeared as David to the recipient. Now his logins are the same as the email address that the person uses (company policy). And when David sends an email the recipient sees "Export" in the FROM line. I tried changing the display name in ADU&C but it hasn't helped. How can I fix this? thanks, David David wrote: > Hi > > I have a customer with SBS2003 (Exchange2003) that used ...

Error with Category Name Changes in Money 2007
I would like to know if anyone else has had any problems with changing the names of categories. I have the trial version of deluxe 2007 installed and I have coverted my 2004 Money file over and was trying to change some of the category names in 2007 and I received the error "This operation cannot be performed" I clicked on more info and the page was Event ID: obres: 34 Source: 16 Were sorry no addition information information about this issue... I am hoping that I am not the only one to have this happen to but, at the same time I am. In microsoft.public.money, sikespa wrot...

Ability to enter multiple meter readings per day in field service.
Would like to have the abiltiy to enter multiple meter reading per day in fields service instead of being limited to just one entry per day. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-u...

Field Options and Combo Lists?
Wondering if anyone knows how to make this work. I have two fields in a form, both Combo Boxes. I want the Value List in the first box to determine what the Value List in the second box will be. For example, if the first box is all State Names, if you select California, the second box provides all of the City names for that state. However, if you change the first box to Utah, the second box provides all the City names for Utah. In the afterupdate event of the states combobox write code to adjust the rowsource of the city combobox. Something like: Me.combo_STATE.RowSource = &quo...

Manually created button has a BOLD text. How to change? #2
I have manually added buttons in my CPropertySheet class (to be common for all CPropertyPage that are added to the property sheet). However, the font of the text caption for the buttons is bold for some reason. How can I change it? I tried CFont* pFont = m_btnOK->GetFont(); if (pFont) { LOGFONT lf; pFont->GetLogFont(&lf); lf.lfWeight = FW_NORMAL; pFont->CreateFontIndirect(&lf); m_btnOK->SetFont(pFont); } It doesn't work because pFont is NULL. I call m_btnOK->GetFont() after m_btnOK is created. Please, help. ...

Change the shape of points to crosses in a chart
Dear sirs, I know how to change the shape of a point in a chart in Excel 2003, but unfortunately you can only use squares, stars, ... . For experiments my tutor wants crosses. Perhaps I make something wrong, but I don't see a possibilty and the help doesn't have information for this problem. Can somebody help me? Thanks Valentin Change the background color of the markers to "no color", then you'll see that many of the squares in the selection dropdown are really crosses and other shapes. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services ...

Instances doesn't get updated when the master stencil changes
Hi, I am trying to create a stencil master shape in such way that when I change the master, all instances also get updated according to the new master shape. At this point I have a master shape in a stencil and I have hundreds of instances in different visio drawing based on the very same stencil. When I change the master shape, I have to change all instances (several hundreds) and this is such a pain. How can I solve this problem? Any help would be appreciated, Max On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 09:29:15 -0400, "Maxwell2006" <alanalan@newsgroup.nospam> wrote: >Hi, > &...

Ms access data type detail
I am using Ms access 2007, can anyone explain to me all the DATA TYPES, like what are their limitations etc. Also how can i create a drop down list and allows selecting more than 1 texts. e.g ... in my db i have an option for known languages and the answers could be more than one. English, French, Spanish etc Start here http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/training/HA102744471033.aspx Aamir wrote: > I am using Ms access 2007, can anyone explain to me all the DATA TYPES, > like what are their limitations etc. > > Also how can i create a drop down list and al...

Global Customer custom data field
I am running 2 stores with HQ and Global customers. How can I change the global customer title custom fields in the Additional tab in HQ. I change the title fields in store manager, by going to Captions button under the configuration section, but HQ Manager doesn't have a captions button. How can I update those custom fields in HQ with thier current customers? Thanks Dave These values are kept in records 1-15 of the CustomCaption table of the HQ database. Using HQAdministrator, you could execute a query like: update CustomCaption set caption='my custom text' where id=1 ...

Wrong display for Cash Receipt Type (GP 8.0)
When I do a search in Receivables Transaction (Smartlist) with Cash Receipt Type = Cash, the display shown Credit Card type. I am not sure how to fix this. If you have experience this issue, please show me how to fix the problem. Thank you! This was a bug a long time ago and it looks like it has not been fixed, at least in GP 9.0 SP 2, which is what I just tested. KB article 861822 describes this for when SmartList was still called Explorer, however, I don't see anything anywhere about a scheduled fix. Must not have been too many people complaining about this. -- Victoria Y...

Pie Charting with Missing and Changing Data
Hi All I am trying to create a dynamic pie chart (has to be a pie chart) that can automatically take into account the fact that the number of series to be graphed each time changes, and that there may be missing data within the list of data The 'Plot Empty Cell' section under Tools -> Options does not seem to apply to Pie Charts as I cannot select any of the options here I have tried using the formula =OFFSET('Sheet1'!$B$7,1,0,COUNTA('Sheet1'!$B:$B)-1,1) in the named range for the data called Spend, and =OFFSET(Spend,0,-1) in the corresponding data labels, but I...

row height changes
Opening the same file in Excel 2000 on 2 different computers give different row heights, (changes from 22.5 to 20.4), and hence the pag breaks move. Had a look through settings and can't find any difference between them. Any suggestions why the layout changes -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Just a guess... Excel uses the current printer to show how things should be displayed on the screen. Any chance that the different pc's are using different printers (or different printer drivers)??? "crescent-centre <" wrote: > > Opening the same file i...

change language English to Spanish POS 2009 or RMS 2.0
Please let me know if you can change the language from English to Spanish 2009 or RMS POS 2.0, and also where I can download the SDK. thank you very much. This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_00A0_01CAFE6B.5CCEC150 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Rey, Check with your reseller for both. I think that ScanSource (they don't = sell to the public) sells a Spanish conversion for RMS, I know that = Retail Realm does www.retailrealm.co.uk. =20 I have not heard of a conversion for ...

don't change free quantity in extended price promotion
We are using Great Plains 8.0 and the problem we have is this: When using a promotion sheet in extended price, and the promotion is that you give for example one free item for every 6 you buy, you can change the quantity of the free item. That way anyone can change the amount of the item you are giving as a gift. There should be a restriction fro changing the quantity of the free item. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pan...