Field Type Change

I am trying to change a free text field to a drop down menu in my
current database, that already has data entered for this particular
field, in order to avoid multiple versions of the same organization
that are just typed in differently.

I'm assuming that I'll need to recode the different versions of an
entry to make them uniform but after that, I'm unsure how to proceed
so I won't lose any data.  Is this possible or will I need to delete
the field, recreate it as a drop down and then re-enter the data?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

0
michael
6/14/2007 3:48:03 PM
access 16762 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Thanks everyone for all the input and advice so for.  To clarify - the
change that I need to make is to change a free-text field in a form to
a drop down with 11 choices.  From what I can gather so far, I need to
create a new table with the 11 responses I want to allow and link that
to the corresponding field in the form.  At this point is where I am
getting lost again.  If I standardize my already entered data, can I
somehow link it to the new table that I create so I don't have to re-
enter the data?

Thanks again,

Mike

On Jun 14, 9:25 am, hilly1609 <f...@fhsservices.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
> If I understand you correctly the item you want to change is on a form for
> data entry or similar. This form is independant of the form and the use of a
> text box or a combo requires a text field in the table, - the data
> requirement is the same and should not lose any existing data.
> There is a wizard that will change a text box to a combo which is in the
> toolbar when you highlight the text box - that save a lot of messing.
> If you are entering the same data over and over with the possibility of
> wrong input or spelling it seems to me that your table design needs
> modification to get a related table to hold the primary information and this
> to be referenced from the form.
> There is also a wizard that will look at you table design and suggest
> relationship and key fields.
> Good luck,
> Frank
>

> "michael.m.t...@gmail.com" wrote:
> > I am trying to change a free text field to a drop down menu in my
> > current database, that already has data entered for this particular
> > field, in order to avoid multiple versions of the same organization
> > that are just typed in differently.
>
> > I'm assuming that I'll need to recode the different versions of an
> > entry to make them uniform but after that, I'm unsure how to proceed
> > so I won't lose any data.  Is this possible or will I need to delete
> > the field, recreate it as a drop down and then re-enter the data?
>
> > Thanks in advance!
>
> > Mike- Hide quoted text -

Mike
6/18/2007 4:54:43 PM
Hi Mike,
If the 11 entries are only for this form the you can out them into the combo
as the recordsource by typing them striaght in with : in between each entry.
Eg: Hospital:Clinic:Surgery etc..
If you want 2 columns you would do 1:Hospital:2:Clinic:3:Surgery etc - then
set the column count to 2.
With 2 columns if you make the bound column - number 1 then the number would
be entered in the table which is better design practice as you can change the
entries easier with a digit entry.
If you used a single column - the data you ahve at the moment would need to
reflect exactly what you are putting and the could be done with update
queries That would isolate 1 group of entries and change hem collectively to
the required format or spelling.
You will not lose any data as you are now messing with the tables  only a
single field.
Cheers,
Frank

"Mike" wrote:

> Thanks everyone for all the input and advice so for.  To clarify - the
> change that I need to make is to change a free-text field in a form to
> a drop down with 11 choices.  From what I can gather so far, I need to
> create a new table with the 11 responses I want to allow and link that
> to the corresponding field in the form.  At this point is where I am
> getting lost again.  If I standardize my already entered data, can I
> somehow link it to the new table that I create so I don't have to re-
> enter the data?
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Mike
>
> On Jun 14, 9:25 am, hilly1609 <f...@fhsservices.co.uk> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > If I understand you correctly the item you want to change is on a form for
> > data entry or similar. This form is independant of the form and the use of a
> > text box or a combo requires a text field in the table, - the data
> > requirement is the same and should not lose any existing data.
> > There is a wizard that will change a text box to a combo which is in the
> > toolbar when you highlight the text box - that save a lot of messing.
> > If you are entering the same data over and over with the possibility of
> > wrong input or spelling it seems to me that your table design needs
> > modification to get a related table to hold the primary information and this
> > to be referenced from the form.
> > There is also a wizard that will look at you table design and suggest
> > relationship and key fields.
> > Good luck,
> > Frank
> >

> > "michael.m.t...@gmail.com" wrote:
> > > I am trying to change a free text field to a drop down menu in my
> > > current database, that already has data entered for this particular
> > > field, in order to avoid multiple versions of the same organization
> > > that are just typed in differently.
> >
> > > I'm assuming that I'll need to recode the different versions of an
> > > entry to make them uniform but after that, I'm unsure how to proceed
> > > so I won't lose any data.  Is this possible or will I need to delete
> > > the field, recreate it as a drop down and then re-enter the data?
> >
> > > Thanks in advance!
> >
> > > Mike- Hide quoted text -

validate a field based on sum of other fields
I have to assign commission to agents for each "order". I can have anywhere from 1 agent at 100% commission to 5 agents with every possible combination of percentages. Obviously, I need the percentage entries to only add up to 100 and I'd like to force the user to adjust the figures until they total 100. Firstly, am I right in assuming it would be better to be assigning the agents to the orderIDs in separate records: OrderID, Agent, Agent Percentage (as opposed to having one record contain the OrderID, Agent1, Agent1Percentage, Agent2, Agent2Percentage, Agent3, Agent3Pe...

Pivot Table Calculated field #3
I have a pivot table with columns for No's, Yes's and Grand Total. I would like to calculate the % of Yes's by dividing the Yes's by the Grand total. Can someone give me an easy explanation of how to do that or a source? I have tried every thing I can think of and the directions I have found have not helped.... Thanks, Ann To calculate total percent Yes, you could use the GETPIVOTDATA function in a formula outside the pivot table. For example: =GETPIVOTDATA("Region",$A$5,"Valid","Yes")/GETPIVOTDATA("Region",$A$5) MOE wrote: &g...

Locking Field position on screen.
I have created a simple form in Word 2007 with maybe 2 or 3 fields across and 3 or 4 fields down, but my problem is I would like to be able to lock the field positions in place on the screen. When I type in a field, the field to the left moves. I need to lock the position. Can this be done. Frank Most forms designers put form fields in table cells of a fixed dimension. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "Francis Cunningham, Jr." <FrancisCunninghamJr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in m...

Graph colors automatically change
I am trying to create a graph, where each month the numbers will be updated. I want the positive numbers to show up green in the graph, and the negative numbers to show up red on the graph. I know that I can adjust this manually, but this will be linked to 200 or so department reports. I don't want to do it manually. When I click "invert negative" on the graph dialog box, it turns the negative numbers blue. Hi, You can use a custom number format. If you do this for the cells the datalabels should do the same. Otherwise just set the data labels number format. [Green...

scripto to cut/paste to next field
Here is my situation: 1) A page on IE will be open, and I will have a cursor in a field on the page (field that has text in it) 2) I need to hit a shortcut (ctrl-shft-something) that cuts everything to the right of the cursor, advances a field (effectively, replicates ‘tab’ action), and pastes Anyone have some code (and instructions on what to do with the code) that may solve the above? -- Boris "BorisS" <BorisS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D4B54CE9-F2A4-4195-B2E3-ABA75A49202C@microsoft.com... > Here is my situation: > > 1...

Outlook 2007 Signature Changes on Recipient's Computer
Hello, I have my email email signature set to Palace Script MT @ size 36, which in that font is not that big. But directly under my signature I have my job title, phone, etc. which is in Palatino Linotype @ size 10. When I send messages, it looks the way it is supposed to look on my computer....and some recipient's computers it also looks the way it should. On a few other's computers, However, it changes the signature from Palace Script to Palatino Linotype but keeps it at the size 36 font. The result is that it looks abnoxiously big and as though I set it up that...

How to add a new Journal Type when using Outlook 2003 ?
In which field? See http://www.slipstick.com/journal/index.htm for some - and if we know which field, we can be more specific. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Join OneNote Tips mailing list: http://www.onenote-tips.net/ "Harold.Little@mail.house.gov" <harold.little@mail.house.gov> wrote ...

When printing a contact the other field (Notes) get cut off
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: Exchange Also when just viewing the contact in the address book. <br> I have tried this on two different macbook pro's and the issue is the same. Tried a different printer also. Please help On 3/10/10 12:47 PM, mwilshrie@officeformac.com wrote: > Also when just viewing the contact in the address book. I have tried > this on two different macbook pro's and the issue is the same. Tried > a different printer also. Please help Can you post a picture of what you're de...

text field to date field field
I have a database that has a text field called "visit" it has been filled with data ie., " 6/22/07 - not good, " the field may also be blank or it may contain random text after the date. In some cases no date at all just text. I would like to create a new field called DateVisit that contains just the dates that were entered in the field "visit" it has been a struggle and I have made no progress please help abbenj@verizon.net/nospam From your description, the field might contain a date, or a date and text, or text, or nothing. How would you explai...

Changing Security Role Settings
Hi, Currently our security role settings allow users to be able to delete activities. I want to change this so that they cannot delete any activities. However, having made the changes the users that already had activities scheduled can no longer enter the sales module as they get the general error message � an error has occurred contact your system administrator. However, for a new user that does not have any activities scheduled yet the security changes work as required. Does anyone know of a way to successfully change the security settings for existing users? Thanks Lee Hi Lee, Normall...

copying workbooks with charts and changing data
As I've got to process several data of same kind, I create several copies of one workbook (1) that contains several charts When I use a copy of workbook 1 (2) with new values, the charts always refers to data in (1)...how can I do to use the values of (2)....?? How are you copying the original chart? If the chart is in the same workbook as the data, you should have no problem if you do Save As with the entire workbook, or if you make a copy of the file in Windows Explorer. When you start copying charts separately from copying their data, the charts always point to the data you don&#...

Form Fields In Outlook Template
Help !!! I'm not a developer, just a user, but I need some help. What I want to do is create an Outlook 2003 template, that uses form fields (Text, drop down boxes, etc.....) However, it looks like to properly create an Outlook template, you cannot use Word as your editor. But if I do not use Word as the editor, then I cannot access the Form Toolbar. This cannot be a new request - but I just cannot seem to figure this out. Help !!! Thank you See my response to your other post on this issue.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart...

Default fields in new fields
Using Outlook 2K When creating a new mail folder, it does not include the Subject and Received fields necessitating their having to be added every time. How can I get this to revert to the default fields? Thanks, Cathy ...

Can I scroll through fonts and see it change?
I'm not sure how to put this. I was doing a tutorial for something- apparently not Publisher (I have 2000) and it said click on the font box, then hit the arrow key and it changes the font of what I have printed, so I can see how it looks. I tried this with Publisher and it does change the name of the font in the font name box, but not what I have typed. Even when selected. For example, I write Merry Christmas (or something) in a text box, click on the font names box up top, hit the arrow keys and the name of the font changes up top, but can it also change the Merry Christmas, t...

multiple critera for one field in a query
Hi, i am trying to get a count of a certain criteria but in different columns. Its hard to explain, but assume i have a table which consists of... A 550 B 600 C 20 A 100 C 75 B 120 D 390 Then in a query I am trying to have the result of: Over 500 Over 100 Over 25 Under 25 A 1 1 0 0 B 1 1 0 0 C 0 0 1 1 D 0 1 0 0 The way i have done...

Account details "Changing themselves"
I am using Outlook 2000. My ISP has been reorganising (the notorious BT/Yahoo! merger) and Email has been very difficult: download hangs in first message, multiple passowrd requests, etc. Looking in Account > server information I see the incoming mail server had been changed (not by me) from mail.btinternet.com to localhost and my account name had had /mail.btinternet.com added to it. Changing back manually to the original settings APPEARS to fix things, at least mail download is now much more reliable. It is worthwhile/possible to make these settings read-only? Any ideas as to why t...

required fields
Hello: Through either VBA or Modifier, is it possible to make a field that is required in Great plains by design to not be required but be optional instead? I doubt it. The best that I could come up with was to just have VBA fill the required field with a "dummy" piece of information and move on. Any other ideas? I suppose the only other way is through Dexterity. The field is the "Interview Range from 1 to" in the HR Interview Setup window. I just decided to have VBA fill it with "01". Thanks! childofthe1980s You are right, fields Required by GP cann...

Clip Gallery says "Unsuppored Clip Type"
One day this just started happening. I have Publisher 2000. When I try to download a clip art from the online gallery it says, "You have attempted to import an unsupportedd clip type. No thumbnail can be generated for file (file name) so it will not be inserted into Clip Art Gallery." Any ideas? Nothing is on Microsoft's knowledge base. thanks! ...

IV00102 Fields
These four fields are set to zero when I create a new item and assign it to a location. However, when I look at the table descriptions zero is not a valid value for any of them. Are these four fields currently used for anything or are they there for future use? This currently is GP10 SP3. 1) IV00102.REPLENISHLEVEL 2) IV00102.POPVENDORSELECTION 3) IV00102.POPPRICINGSELECTION 4) IV00102.PICKTICKETITEMOPT Rich, Replenishment Level is the default replenishment level for POP Auto Generator. Values are 1, 2 and 3. 1 for Order point QTy, 2 for order upto level, 3 for vendor EoQ. If these fiel...

Field by Field Comparison
I have two tables with the exact same column names. I want to do a field by field comparison of the two tables. If one letter or number is off in any field, I would like for the whole record to show up in my query. I can only figure out how to show records which are equal. I would like to show records which are not equal. Is there a query criteria or something where I can perform this? Thanks. Do a UNION query. Create a query that lists all the field in one table. Then open that query in SQL view. At the end of the SQL, delete the semicolon ";". At the...

splitting a field into two fields; one in ()
I have a Name field in my database that is LastName,FirstName(dept). I have figured out how to split last name and first name but I don't know how to leave out the department name that is in () after the first name. Any suggestions? Quick and Dirty way to get the field down to just LastName,Firstname is to use the following as an expression in a query: LastFirst:Left([Name],Instr([Name],"(")-1) This should give you all of the characters to the left of the opening parenthesis. You could then apply your method for splitting the First and Last Names. HTH ...

Typing in multiple row in a single cell
Is there a way to divide a cell in multiple rows? I am not talking about the insert the Text Box or table. The cell it self should be able to take text in multiple rows. for example to type "My address My Street My City" Three rows in one cell Khusro Hi Format>Cells>Alignment>Wrap text Then press Alt+Enter at each point you want to create a new row. As an aside, entering data in this format is not the most useful way to store data. Very often, you want to pull out the City separate form other things, for example. It would be better to store your data in separate ce...

Excel warns that the file has changed when it hasn't
I have a rather large Excel file, with 15 sheets. I am finding that if I open and then try to immediately close it, Excel warns "Do you want to save the changes you made to ..", even though I haven't changed a thing (or even typed anywhere in the file). What's going on? This is using Office XP, with SP3 installed. Bill Do you have any of these volatile functions in your workbook? AREAS() INDEX() OFFSET() CELL() INDIRECT() ROWS() COLUMNS() NOW() TODAY() RAND() These evaluate with each calculation. And cause excel to think your workbook ha...

How to set color of field?
In ObjectPal I used the 'Arrive' event to set the color of a field or a record in a child table. This allowed the color to vary from one record to the next in a datasheet view. In Access, the 'On Current' event only works in form view. It doesn't work in datasheet view. The 'Format' event is only available in Report objects. The 'Conditional' format only allows three alternatives. How can Access vary colors from one record to the next in a datasheet, or datasheet-like view? "WDSnews" <wdsnews.0640@oregoncity.com> wrot...

Change of domain..
Hi! We´re about to change domain name from .se to .com. I have the following question: Is it possible to generate an auto-reply on the .se address (on user-/mailbox-level) to inform the sender that we have changed address to ..com when the receiver has both addresses( name@domain.se and name@domain.com ) in the exchange mailbox? FYI: It’s not possible to make a general change on all mailboxes because the owner of the .se address still should receive mail. -- ________________________ Per-Olof Olsson IT - Manager I don't know whether that is possible - anyone?? - but you coul...