Field missing upon XML import

I'm attempting to import an XML file into an Access table.  However, if
a field name doesn't appear in the first handful of records (not sure of
the breaking point), any subsequent instances of the field that may
appear later in the file is not imported.  For example, let's say
there's a field called 'FieldX', but there's no FieldX value (nor tags)
for the first 100 rows, but there is in row #101.  The result is FieldX
is NOT imported.  Is this a known issue?  Is there a workaround?
0
Phil
6/1/2007 10:02:08 PM
access 16762 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Phil

How are you setting up the import initially. Unless Access has a schema to
work from then it will infer one using the first few rows. If your record
isn't there then it will not be created later.

--

Joe Fawcett (MVP - XML)

http://joe.fawcett.name

"Phil Hellmuth" <billort@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> I'm attempting to import an XML file into an Access table.  However, if a
> field name doesn't appear in the first handful of records (not sure of the
> breaking point), any subsequent instances of the field that may appear
> later in the file is not imported.  For example, let's say there's a field
> called 'FieldX', but there's no FieldX value (nor tags) for the first 100
> rows, but there is in row #101.  The result is FieldX is NOT imported.  Is
> this a known issue?  Is there a workaround?

0
Joe

validate a field based on sum of other fields
I have to assign commission to agents for each "order". I can have anywhere from 1 agent at 100% commission to 5 agents with every possible combination of percentages. Obviously, I need the percentage entries to only add up to 100 and I'd like to force the user to adjust the figures until they total 100. Firstly, am I right in assuming it would be better to be assigning the agents to the orderIDs in separate records: OrderID, Agent, Agent Percentage (as opposed to having one record contain the OrderID, Agent1, Agent1Percentage, Agent2, Agent2Percentage, Agent3, Agent3Pe...

Pivot Table Calculated field #3
I have a pivot table with columns for No's, Yes's and Grand Total. I would like to calculate the % of Yes's by dividing the Yes's by the Grand total. Can someone give me an easy explanation of how to do that or a source? I have tried every thing I can think of and the directions I have found have not helped.... Thanks, Ann To calculate total percent Yes, you could use the GETPIVOTDATA function in a formula outside the pivot table. For example: =GETPIVOTDATA("Region",$A$5,"Valid","Yes")/GETPIVOTDATA("Region",$A$5) MOE wrote: &g...

Disable MAPI Missing after SP2 install
We succesfully installed SP2 for Exchange 2003. However I can't find the ability to disable MAPI access under an AD object's Exchange Features tab. Anyone know if I'm missing something? Thanks From the release notes - it's an attribute stored on a user account. Doesn't look like you'll find it under the Exchange Features tab. Enabling or Disabling MAPI Access per User Exchange Server 2003 SP2 adds functionality to enable administrators to completely turn off MAPI access for a given user, or to grant access to a user whose Microsoft Office Outlook is configure...

Locking Field position on screen.
I have created a simple form in Word 2007 with maybe 2 or 3 fields across and 3 or 4 fields down, but my problem is I would like to be able to lock the field positions in place on the screen. When I type in a field, the field to the left moves. I need to lock the position. Can this be done. Frank Most forms designers put form fields in table cells of a fixed dimension. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "Francis Cunningham, Jr." <FrancisCunninghamJr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in m...

Visual C++ Version 6. Missing my MSDN CD.
I use Visual C++ version 6. I recently rebuilt my PC. I successfully reloaded the compiler. But, I seem to have misplaced my MSDN CD from many years ago. Without that CD I don't have any help with my compiler. Is there anything I can do? Perhaps, is that CD available for download someplace? I haven't loaded that CD for years. I just use Google or MSN Search to find information online. You might want to contact MSFT to see if you can get another, but I don't think they do much support for V6 any longer. Tom "TonyG" <TonyG@junk.com> wrote in message news:pO...

XMLValidatingReader misses errors
I am using an XMLValidatingReader to validate an XML file received via a web service. I want to verify that the incoming file matches the XML schema. When testing the validation routine, the XMLValidatingReader correctly flags mis-matched tags such as <abc>some content</xyz> but does not catch other errors. For example, it doesn't catch tags that are not part of the schema, doesn't catch missing tags where the schema has minoccurs="1", and doesn't catch incorrect values when the schema has specified an enumeration. Am I doing something wrong, or maybe ...

scripto to cut/paste to next field
Here is my situation: 1) A page on IE will be open, and I will have a cursor in a field on the page (field that has text in it) 2) I need to hit a shortcut (ctrl-shft-something) that cuts everything to the right of the cursor, advances a field (effectively, replicates ‘tab’ action), and pastes Anyone have some code (and instructions on what to do with the code) that may solve the above? -- Boris "BorisS" <BorisS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D4B54CE9-F2A4-4195-B2E3-ABA75A49202C@microsoft.com... > Here is my situation: > > 1...

When printing a contact the other field (Notes) get cut off
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: Exchange Also when just viewing the contact in the address book. <br> I have tried this on two different macbook pro's and the issue is the same. Tried a different printer also. Please help On 3/10/10 12:47 PM, mwilshrie@officeformac.com wrote: > Also when just viewing the contact in the address book. I have tried > this on two different macbook pro's and the issue is the same. Tried > a different printer also. Please help Can you post a picture of what you're de...

text field to date field field
I have a database that has a text field called "visit" it has been filled with data ie., " 6/22/07 - not good, " the field may also be blank or it may contain random text after the date. In some cases no date at all just text. I would like to create a new field called DateVisit that contains just the dates that were entered in the field "visit" it has been a struggle and I have made no progress please help abbenj@verizon.net/nospam From your description, the field might contain a date, or a date and text, or text, or nothing. How would you explai...

Form Fields In Outlook Template
Help !!! I'm not a developer, just a user, but I need some help. What I want to do is create an Outlook 2003 template, that uses form fields (Text, drop down boxes, etc.....) However, it looks like to properly create an Outlook template, you cannot use Word as your editor. But if I do not use Word as the editor, then I cannot access the Form Toolbar. This cannot be a new request - but I just cannot seem to figure this out. Help !!! Thank you See my response to your other post on this issue.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart...

Default fields in new fields
Using Outlook 2K When creating a new mail folder, it does not include the Subject and Received fields necessitating their having to be added every time. How can I get this to revert to the default fields? Thanks, Cathy ...

multiple critera for one field in a query
Hi, i am trying to get a count of a certain criteria but in different columns. Its hard to explain, but assume i have a table which consists of... A 550 B 600 C 20 A 100 C 75 B 120 D 390 Then in a query I am trying to have the result of: Over 500 Over 100 Over 25 Under 25 A 1 1 0 0 B 1 1 0 0 C 0 0 1 1 D 0 1 0 0 The way i have done...

required fields
Hello: Through either VBA or Modifier, is it possible to make a field that is required in Great plains by design to not be required but be optional instead? I doubt it. The best that I could come up with was to just have VBA fill the required field with a "dummy" piece of information and move on. Any other ideas? I suppose the only other way is through Dexterity. The field is the "Interview Range from 1 to" in the HR Interview Setup window. I just decided to have VBA fill it with "01". Thanks! childofthe1980s You are right, fields Required by GP cann...

How do i stop the End user License Agreement from Popping Up upon.
I am using Microsoft Office Professional 2003, upon entering the program every time it starts up, the End User license agreement opens, requesting 'Accept or Decline, as well as Print'. Is there anyway of stopping this? Log on as the system administrator and accept the EULA. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "Excel - Challanged." <Excel - Challanged.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:37818182-0BB7-472B-B6B2-FEA5D267AA45@microsoft.com... >I am using Microsoft Office Professiona...

IV00102 Fields
These four fields are set to zero when I create a new item and assign it to a location. However, when I look at the table descriptions zero is not a valid value for any of them. Are these four fields currently used for anything or are they there for future use? This currently is GP10 SP3. 1) IV00102.REPLENISHLEVEL 2) IV00102.POPVENDORSELECTION 3) IV00102.POPPRICINGSELECTION 4) IV00102.PICKTICKETITEMOPT Rich, Replenishment Level is the default replenishment level for POP Auto Generator. Values are 1, 2 and 3. 1 for Order point QTy, 2 for order upto level, 3 for vendor EoQ. If these fiel...

MSO9.DLL missing
Whenever I open my Outlook XP, the reminder screen pops up to give me 4 reminders. If I hit the 'Dismiss All' button another pop-up shows: "OUTLOOK.EXE - Unable to Locate Component: This application has failed to start because MSO9.DLL was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem." Then, the program shuts down then restarts and I go through the same thing again. However, if I just hit the red X to close the popup, the program is fine (the reminders will just keep on popping up each time I open the program). I've already reinstalled the ...

Field by Field Comparison
I have two tables with the exact same column names. I want to do a field by field comparison of the two tables. If one letter or number is off in any field, I would like for the whole record to show up in my query. I can only figure out how to show records which are equal. I would like to show records which are not equal. Is there a query criteria or something where I can perform this? Thanks. Do a UNION query. Create a query that lists all the field in one table. Then open that query in SQL view. At the end of the SQL, delete the semicolon ";". At the...

splitting a field into two fields; one in ()
I have a Name field in my database that is LastName,FirstName(dept). I have figured out how to split last name and first name but I don't know how to leave out the department name that is in () after the first name. Any suggestions? Quick and Dirty way to get the field down to just LastName,Firstname is to use the following as an expression in a query: LastFirst:Left([Name],Instr([Name],"(")-1) This should give you all of the characters to the left of the opening parenthesis. You could then apply your method for splitting the First and Last Names. HTH ...

Import contacts
I have a list of contacts in Excel 2003 and import them into Outlook 2003. The list consists of names, telephone numbers, mobile numbers and email addresses. But in Outlook only displays the last 3 digits of phone numbers. I have tried all kinds of formatting cells in Excel, I have also tried to save the sheet. Txt,. Csv etc. but nothing help. It works seamlessly with Office and Outlook 2007 Export Contacts from Outlook to an Excel file Compare the mappings with your excel file "opatia" <tone.a.engebretsen@gmail.com> wrote in message news:4fa2a2fd-eb57-4154-b902-12...

Saving/Loading Xml to/from an Xml file
Hi I have a function called GetXml that returns Xml as expected. I then use: Dim saveFile As New SaveFileDialog and the configure saveFile. Having got the file and the Xml, how can I then write the Xml to the file? Also, how could I load the Xml back in to a string using an OpenFileDialog (openFile) or similar? Regards, Carl Gilbert "Carl Gilbert" <cnl@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message news:OHk4WC5qEHA.628@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Having got the file and the Xml, how can I then write the Xml to the file? Dim writer As System.IO.StreamWriter writer = ...

Joining fields into one field dependent on value of another field
Hi, Below is a sample of data of a query which I need assistance in - Group Fertiliser ApplicationRate 1 TSP 3 2 EFB 230 3 Kies. 3 4 EFB 230 4 Kies. 3 5 TSP 3 5 Kies. 3 7 EFB 230 7 TSP 3 7 Kies. 3 >From this, I would like to create a field such that it shows eg. Group FertiliserDescription 1 TSP (3) 2 EFB (230) 3 Kies. (3) 4 EFB (230), Kies(3) 7 EFB(230),TSP(3),Kies(3) I am able to put Fertiliser and ApplicationRate together ie. Fertiliser& "(" &ApplicationRate& ")" My problem being how to add a statement saying th...

How to set color of field?
In ObjectPal I used the 'Arrive' event to set the color of a field or a record in a child table. This allowed the color to vary from one record to the next in a datasheet view. In Access, the 'On Current' event only works in form view. It doesn't work in datasheet view. The 'Format' event is only available in Report objects. The 'Conditional' format only allows three alternatives. How can Access vary colors from one record to the next in a datasheet, or datasheet-like view? "WDSnews" <wdsnews.0640@oregoncity.com> wrot...

XML with two tables
HI The XML below has two tables.They are Category and Products. I need to get the Products when i select a Category for eg:- when i mention "CAR" the i need to get "maruthi","santro" and "ford". The relation between the two tables is "Category_Product". I'm getting all the products. Can any one Help me. <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?> <Catalog xmlns="http://tempuri.org/Products.xsd"> <Category> <Name>Car </Name> <Product> <title>Maruthi</title&...

Null Field to Interupt Closing
I am using this code to check for blank fields in BeforeUpdate: If NZ(Trim(Me!Date),vbnullstring) = vbnullstring then Msgbox "PLEASE ENTER DATE",,"Missing date" Me!Date.setfocus Cancel = True Exit Sub End if It almost works, except the form goes ahead and closes anyway. The user clicks the close button and the message box pops up if the field is empty, they click OK and instead of keeping the form open and then setting focus on the empty field, it closes the form. How can I get it to interupt the close and keep the form open? Thank you in advance for any...

Import Rms Database to POS 2009
Hi all, I got a hold of a 30 day trial POS 2009, so I wanted to import a RMS database backup file to POS 2009 so I could "check it out" before I decided to switch to POS 2009. How do I do it?? I tried Tools>Database>Restore option and also create option, but during the restore option is comes back with an error and shut down the restoredatabase.exe Any ideas what I am doing wrong??? thanks Arve We have an RR Import Utility that is working with POS2009 and RMS. We are giving this for a short time free of charge as part of our beta launch. Contact me if interested to...