Field missing upon XML import

I'm attempting to import an XML file into an Access table.  However, if
a field name doesn't appear in the first handful of records (not sure of
the breaking point), any subsequent instances of the field that may
appear later in the file is not imported.  For example, let's say
there's a field called 'FieldX', but there's no FieldX value (nor tags)
for the first 100 rows, but there is in row #101.  The result is FieldX
is NOT imported.  Is this a known issue?  Is there a workaround?
0
Phil
6/1/2007 10:02:08 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Phil

How are you setting up the import initially. Unless Access has a schema to
work from then it will infer one using the first few rows. If your record
isn't there then it will not be created later.

--

Joe Fawcett (MVP - XML)

http://joe.fawcett.name

"Phil Hellmuth" <billort@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> I'm attempting to import an XML file into an Access table.  However, if a
> field name doesn't appear in the first handful of records (not sure of the
> breaking point), any subsequent instances of the field that may appear
> later in the file is not imported.  For example, let's say there's a field
> called 'FieldX', but there's no FieldX value (nor tags) for the first 100
> rows, but there is in row #101.  The result is FieldX is NOT imported.  Is
> this a known issue?  Is there a workaround?

0
Joe

xml into excel
Hi, I have a product list in xml at http://www.gizmos-uk.com/gizmos_uka.xm and need to bring it into excel to work on, with each item displayin attributes across a row , is this possible? Thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com James, Excel can open XML files. File - Open. In the File Name box, paste the URL, http://www.gizmos-uk.com/gizmos_uka.xml. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "jamesjra >" <<jamesjra.17olhp@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:jamesjra.17olhp@ex...

Import and Export from/to Excel query
I need to import and export Excel files in and out of Outlook 2003. When I try and do it I am told I don't have the correct translator and do I want to install it - when I say yes it tells me to put in the CD - when I put in the CD it doesn't install but just freezes up and I have to cancel - the file it tells me I need is L4561403.CAB How and where do I install L4561403.CAB which I assume that I can find on the CD?? TIA for any help. Brian Tozer KiwiBrian <briantoz@ihug.co.nz> wrote: > I need to import and export Excel files in and out of Outlook 2003. > When ...

how to read values in this xml file?
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> <Project ToolsVersion="3.5" DefaultTargets="Build" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/developer/msbuild/2003"> <PropertyGroup> <ProductVersion>9.0.30729</ProductVersion> <SchemaVersion>2.0</SchemaVersion> <OutputType>WinExe</OutputType> <AppDesignerFolder>Properties</AppDesignerFolder> </PropertyGroup> </Project> I am using the following code to read the value in the <ProductVersion> tag ...

A field on a query has a value in it I'd like to use to create tot
Cost: Proceeds: G/L St G/L LT 30,000 31,000 $1,000 25,100 24,095 ($905) 4,000 5,000 $500 $500 In the G/L St & G/L Lt field, I would like to pull out the cost/proceeds values to create a field that I can run a cost or proceed total on. I have done an IIf function that works in pulling out the values but in the report footer when I try to sum the data, it doesn't work. FYI: The iif function is this: Iif([g/l s...

Cannot import .pst file into Outlook #2
I was in the process of importing a 1.52gb .pst file into Outlook whe it suddenly stopped loading and since then it will not load and lock up the application. I have scanned with scanpst.exe and it says tha the file is ok. Does anybody know how I can either load it or extrac the relevant folders, even if it meant losing some ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Identity not importing when upgrading from MSO2004 to MSO2008

How do you add text to custom columns created thru the Field Chooser pls?
Hello, If I create a custom text column via Field Chooser - New, how can I enter text into it afterwards? I'm looking to add an "annotation" column and not have it sent if/when I forward or reply to the message. Outlook 2003 with Exchange 2003. Thanks, - Alan. If you directly want to fill it out in the message list you'll have to enable "allow in-cell editing" for your view. The technique would be similar to; http://www.msoutlook.info/question/150 -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://ww...

Fields BackStyle/BackColor Changes Unexpectantly
Access 2007 I'm using the following code to filter records in frmHomeInv. Dim strAll As String Dim strSQL As String If Me!cboProductTypeFilter.Column(1) = "<<All>>" Then strAll = "SELECT * FROM tblHomeInv ORDER BY ProductTypeID, Product" Me.RecordSource = strAll Me.lstHomeInv.RowSource = strAll Me.lstHomeInv.Selected(0) = True Else strSQL = "SELECT * FROM tblHomeInv WHERE (((ProductTypeID)=" & [cboProductTypeFilter].[Value] & "))ORDER BY ProductTypeID, Product"...

Automated changes of Outlook contact fields
What software / utilities / code etc. are available that would allow me to adjust some existing data in my Outlook 2003 contacts? For example, I have many "web page address" fields that need to be changed from e.g. http://subway.com to http://www.subway.com and also many "city" fields that need to be capitalized e.g los angeles to Los Angeles. Thanks in advance for any replies, Miner2049er. After some research, I believe I have to write a Visual Basic script to do this. Not knowing that language, does anybody know of a script that can do what I'm asking, or at l...

Doubt in getting the record count of customised field..
Hi, In MSCRM i want to get the total count of contact records according to a database status field or according to my own customised field. how can do it. fromSDK i got this code snippet but how can i mention the code number that i want to retrieve.(ex) select count(myfield) from contacts where myfield='5'. How can i convert this query as xml query. code which i got from sdk is. String strQuery; strQuery = "<fetch mapping='logical' aggregate='true'>" strQuery += " <entity name='Contact'>" strQuery += " <attribute...

CRM v3.0
We have a customer who would like to change the font color of the Read Only fields. When a read only field is presented, they complain that the font color is too light. Where can I make this change - I'm pretty sure there is a CSS somewhere that I can edit. -- Carroll Little ...

How Do I specify where XML data gets imported into Excel
I have XML data that I would like to import up as fllows in a spreasheet: Cell A2: Job Number Cell A3: Customer Number A4 through A29 should recive the <AMOUNT> data B4 through B29 should receive the <QUANTITY> data etc etc Sometimes all the fields will be filled, sometimes not. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Regards, Diane Hi Diane! You should see therre: microsoft.public.xml Starwing ...

Excel Data menu has no XML.
I'm trying to use the on-line course on XML for Excel. On clicking the Data menu, there is no "XML" second-level command. Do you have Excel 2003. -- HTH Bob Phillips "GK" <GK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6B40C03F-98E1-45D0-92FB-34265DBE8593@microsoft.com... > I'm trying to use the on-line course on XML for Excel. > > On clicking the Data menu, there is no "XML" second-level command. ...

catalog merge group by field
I'm trying to do a catalog merge with multiple records grouped by a field. i.e. result would be Rubber Wedge WED15 $35 WED18 $38 PVC Wedge WEDP15 $22 WEDP18 $23 WEDP21 $24 Where the two recorde for rubber wedge are grouped by description field and the three records for PVC wedge are grouped by field. I cannot find instructions to do this in publisher help and there is no apparent button in the catalog merge area. Kevin wrote: > I cannot find instructions to do this in publisher help and there is no > apparent button in the catalog merge area. That would be because there is...

show 2nd field when combo box choice is made
Greetings: I have a db for clients and their purchases. In my attempt to further normalize my tables, I have created a new table to list the products clients can purchase. So now i have 3 tables. One has the client info, the 2nd has the individual orders (ID, client foreign key, product (stores combo box info) , order date, quantity ordered and a price number field to hold the info this question is about) and the 3rd has the list of products and the price of each product. I have a form to enter the client info and a subform to enter each client's order info. The order subform ...

Sorting & Grouping ... Change column (field) Titles
I was wondering if my previous post ... same subject got lost? Thanks, Bob ...

importing web page
instead of using this to go to a website how would i import it into excel. Sub test() ActiveWorkbook.FollowHyperlink _ Address:="http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=AAAA&d=c&t=1d&l=on&z=b&q=l" End Sub the other part is i have a sheet name created for each stock how would i write a macro that says if sheet name is AAAA plug that into the web address to import into corresponding sheet name. the following creates the sheet name for each stock option downloaded and i want to import a matching graph from yahoo. Workbooks.Add For Each Symbol In SymbRange If Sym...

Replacing individual characters in a field to something else.
I have a field with names that is pulled from a main frame database. These names have the last name first, then a comma, then the first name. I want to get rid of the commas. I can do this easily enough with the edit replace. But this table will be constantly updated from the main frame Db. I want to build it as part of an automatic process when running the update. I though of using an update query, using a wildcard to find the commas, but cannot figure out how to update just the character. It wants to update the untire contents of the field. any thoughs? -- Message posted ...

memo field of OFX file not displayed in MS Money Essentials
I'm trying to figure out where all my money is going each month, so I downloaded an OFX file from myonline banking account, then imported it into the trial version of MS Money Essentials. Money assigned categories to each transaction and they are all completely wrong, so I've had to start reassigning them manually. It would make my life much easier if Money displayed the memo field so I could see "McDonalds" vs. having to go back to the online account and see what the transaction on this date for that amount was for. It's going to take forever to match them that way. ...

Messages missing from follow up folder
I have flagged email messages for followup, but they don't automatically display in the followup folder in my "Favorites." They just sit in my inbox. Any idea why they aren't moving to the follow up folder? Debra <Debra@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have flagged email messages for followup, but they don't > automatically display in the followup folder in my "Favorites." They > just sit in my inbox. Any idea why they aren't moving to the follow > up folder? The Follow Up folder is not a real folder; it is a search context. Mess...

Move entries from one field to another
Hi All, During a database population, contact telephone fields were captured into the telphone1 field and the result is that not telephone numbers appear in the contacts view under business phone. I've considered adding the Telephone1 column instead but wherever else the business phone is used to display contact telephone numbers and the interface doesnt allow for customizing the other views. Is there a supported way that I could move all the numbers from the telephone1 field to Business phone? TIA... ;) The only "supported" way to do this, w/o buying a 3rd paty product to ...

importing/exporting categories
Is there a way to synchronize or import/export categories. I have 3 email clients. 1 desktop, 1 notebook and 1 PDA. I continually have to manually edit my master categories list on my desktop's outlook so it jives with my notebook. Thanks, mike This article was helpful. http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=297405 -m "Mike" <thewittmer@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:YfDrg.23787$Bh.15010@tornado.texas.rr.com... > Is there a way to synchronize or import/export categories. I have 3 email > clients. 1 desktop, 1 notebook and 1 PDA. I continua...

Missing e-mails
Hi, I have just upgraded Windows Me to Windows XP, after doing this it seems that alot of e-mails have been auto archived after the past 2 months. Does anybody have any ideas of how to retrive them? Thanks for any help. Chris. If your suspicion is correct, they would be in your archive PST file. Look in Tools > Options > Other Autoarchive... to see where that file is. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Chris" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:718501c3b400$f8d23030$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Hi, I have just upgraded Windows Me to Windows XP, ...

Blank field problem at access 2007
Hi, I have a query with 3 columns. 1st and 2nd columns are from a table that includes numbers. 3rd column is for summation of 1st and 2nd columns. I have no summation if a field is blank. For example, query gives a result something like below: 1st_______2nd________3rd 10________20_________30 3_________5__________8 Blank______7__________Blank (must be 7 ???) 15________Blank_______Blank (must be 15 ???) How can I solve this problem? Thanks a lot in advance. Use Nz() around each of the numbers. Presumably you have a calculated query field that looks like this: Col3: [Col1] + [Co...

Automatic Rules Import / Export
Hi! Is there any possibility to automatically import outlook (xp) rules an clients (registry, policy or with a tool)? >>> not manually import / export at the rules wizard I would need this, because our Spam Defense Software is configured that it only marks Mails with "*****SPAM*****" but doesn't delete the items. I can't change theses settings, because they are made by another department :-(. Many Users want that these items are move to the deleted items folder automatically. I want to provide a global solution, not that everyone needs to handle this on his ow...