Export from and Import to Access

We are creating an issues tracking database using Access 2003 and would like
to export information to management, obtain their feedback and update the
database on a periodic basis.  What is the best process for doing this?
Would Access 2007 make this process easier somehow?
--
gsr
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Per srichards:
>We are creating an issues tracking database using Access 2003 and would like
>to export information to management, obtain their feedback and update the
>database on a periodic basis.  What is the best process for doing this?
>Would Access 2007 make this process easier somehow?

Dunno from "best", but the first thing I'd look into is MS Excel.

In my environment, at least, just about everybody is comfortable
with working with Excel spreadsheets.

You could write code in the MS Access app to create spreadsheets
with everything protected except the cells that the managers are
allowed to update and with PKs, row counts, and column counts in
hidden columns.

The managers would over type data as needed and then flip the
sheet back to you.

You'd have VBA code to check the integrity of the sheet (make
sure nobody shifted columns around, deleted rows, and so-forth)
then pull it into a work table where you could do some basic
validity checking on the data before importing same into the
app's back end.

Depending on how simple/straightforward you were able to make the
sheets, you might even get away with just ODBC linking to them
and treating them as tables - bypassing the import into a work
table.
--
PeteCresswell
0

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

> Per srichards:
> >We are creating an issues tracking database using Access 2003 and would like
> >to export information to management, obtain their feedback and update the
> >database on a periodic basis.  What is the best process for doing this?
> >Would Access 2007 make this process easier somehow?
>
> Dunno from "best", but the first thing I'd look into is MS Excel.
>
> In my environment, at least, just about everybody is comfortable
> with working with Excel spreadsheets.
>
> You could write code in the MS Access app to create spreadsheets
> with everything protected except the cells that the managers are
> allowed to update and with PKs, row counts, and column counts in
> hidden columns.
>
> The managers would over type data as needed and then flip the
> sheet back to you.
>
> You'd have VBA code to check the integrity of the sheet (make
> sure nobody shifted columns around, deleted rows, and so-forth)
> then pull it into a work table where you could do some basic
> validity checking on the data before importing same into the
> app's back end.
>
> Depending on how simple/straightforward you were able to make the
> sheets, you might even get away with just ODBC linking to them
> and treating them as tables - bypassing the import into a work
> table.
> --
> PeteCresswell

Per srichards:
>Thanks.  Will give it a try.

You might want to wait a day or two and see what else comes up in
this thread.

I kind of figured that by now somebody would have come up with
some sort of IntraNet direct access suggestion.... and maybe it
will come up eventually.
--
PeteCresswell
0
srichards wrote:
> We are creating an issues tracking database using Access 2003 and would like
> to export information to management, obtain their feedback and update the
> database on a periodic basis.  What is the best process for doing this?
> Would Access 2007 make this process easier somehow?

I haven't tried the following software but it looks like it might be a
little better than SharePoint from a purely collaborative perspective:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/groove/default.aspx

Groove seems to have a more well-planned and flexible synchronization
strategy than Access or SharePoint.

Depending on how much data is to be shared you might also look into:

Automatic Email updates to a database using Windows Communication Foundation

Windows Workflow Foundation or even InfoPath under SharePoint

Collaboration software from non-Microsoft vendors.

James A. Fortune
MPAPoster@FortuneJames.com
0
James
5/12/2007 12:53:06 AM
James A. Fortune wrote:
> Automatic Email updates to a database using Windows Communication
> Foundation

It appears that A2K7 has a wizard to make this happen.  From PDC05 OFF307:

External Data...

Collect and Update:
Create E-mail...

"Getting started with data collection through e-mail messages" wizard

Two Options for data entry forms:

HTML form

Infopath form

James A. Fortune
MPAPoster@FortuneJames.com
0
James

Accessing CRM 4.0 from another machine
Thanks for any help in advance... I have successfully installed CRM on the server using port 5555. I can access it from the local machine using HTTP://localhost:5555 without issues. For some reason, I am unable to connect to that instance from any other machine on the network. Ultimately I would like to access the instance over the internet so our disconnected sales team can work with it, but for now I'd be happy to access it from the network, or for VPN clients. I have tried http://<MACHINENAME>:5555, as well as the IP address approach. Our network engineer has opened port...

Take a look at this important patch
--pbahpynclubz Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="mqppwmtulrtd"; type="multipart/alternative" --mqppwmtulrtd Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="wznjzkwxmisjrdc" --wznjzkwxmisjrdc Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable MS Client this is the latest version of security update, the "November 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities. Install now to mainta...

Export to XML exports single row only

address book access
I can not access my address book from home when i am using my outlook web access. I can get to my folders ok, and i can access my contacts, but i can not use my address book. What should I do? Personal address book is local to the machine. It is not stored on the server which is why you are unable to access it. "muffin" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:33C96FE3-5BC9-4872-9DBE-113BE315459F@microsoft.com... > I can not access my address book from home when i am using my outlook web access. I can get to my folders ok, and i can access my contacts...

Contacts export display X400 not SMTP

Export / Import Security

Excel to Access
Does anyone know how to take an Excel spreadsheet and merge it into an existing Access database? Thank you. ...

Export item ID?

Exporting email in Outlook Express

Re: Converting Access Database From 2003 to Access 97
jixiaoli <jiaxialoli@eyou.com> wrote in message news:... > > Tim <xtimx_wildingx@yah.com> wrote in message > news:27e001c3fc97$6b59bbd0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I am developing applications in VB and Access. I distribute an Access 97 > database as part of the system. I have recently upgraded from using Access > XP to Access 2003 to manage the distributed database. Since I still wish to > distribute the database in Access 97 format to clients, I convert the file > from Access 2003 to Access 97 format before distribution. The distribution > database contains ...

Conversion / Import
Is the any way of converting or importing Adobe InDesign into Publisher (2002) Bern at DCA <Bern at DCA@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > Is the any way of converting or importing Adobe InDesign into > Publisher (2002) Copy and Paste? (This requires that you have InDesign installed) Otherwise, no. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher ...

Skip used labels in Access 2007
I have asked this question before, but apparently no one had tackled the problem yet. Maybe someone has now. I am trying to do a macro (or module if it is now the case) that skips used mailing labels on a page when printing two or three only. I know in the old Access this was possible, but I have yet to get it to work with 2007. Any ideas? By the way, I am not the best of programmers so keep it simple for me. Thanks. I don't know if it will help in your situation, but this is the query I use in a little application I devised, as the RecordSource of a labels report to pr...

Exporting to Powerpoint

relative import path in public schema
I'm using a public set of schemas for GML, avaiable at www.opengis.net/gml. They all include or import each other but live in a folder hierarchy, so the import statement includes schemaLocation="../xlink/xlinks.xsd". I've written a schema that imports the top level one using schemaLocation="http://schemas.opengis.net/gml/3.1.0/base/feature.xsd". I've also tried downloading it and putting it in the schema cache but in both cases the build fails with 'Cannot resolve the schemaLocation attribute'. I'm using Visual C# 2005 Express and I'm new...

Export Image Package
I have an access application that has stored .JPG images within the database as a "Package". How can I export the image back to a normal .jpg file so that it can be read by a normal (non ole server) imaging application? ...

Export registry key
Hi, Is there an API to Export and Extract a registry key in a text format ? I need to simulate the operation that is done by the user of exporting a key (and creating a .reg file in a text format). I do not want to use RegSaveKey/RegRestorekey which work in a binary format. Yoav. I believe you will have to do this yourself. There is no Automation or exported function interface to RegEdit, and that .Reg file concept is a feature of that program. However, it shouldn't be terribly difficult to do this, using RegEnumKeyEx and RegEnumValue or the CRegKey class, use a CStdioFile object...

Export from Excel to Word
I have a 20 page Excel document that has a LOT of formating involved, it is text not data. Is there a way that I get it into Word without having to redo all the formatting? It is 11x17, landscape. Yes: Select the area you wish to copy. While holding the SHIFT key pull-down: Edit > Copy Picture... In the Word document, just paste. Because you have pasted a picture, the formatting will be preserved. Also because its a picture, yo can re-size it as you choose. -- Gary's Student "kath0178" wrote: > I have a 20 page Excel document that has a LOT of formating inv...

Reverse of export to database
Ave, I would like to generate a Visio drawing starting from an Access database which contains the results of an 'export to database' of an existing drawing. I found import possibilities from Excel, csv, txt files, but not from databases. I'm using Visio 2002 Professional. Greetings, Are you trying to import the data from the database tables or the database schema? If it is the database schema, run the Database modeling template (File \ New \ Database \ Database model diagram) If you want to get the data, try the "Link to Database" dialog (Tools \ Macros \ Visio Extras...

Importing a file into M. Outlook 2000
Hi I am unable to import a contact list created in excel. I get the error messages; 1. Internal error 2711 Hi Susan, By the sounds of it I think your trying to attach an attachment, this works, // Runs MS Outlook with an attached file. string ls_outlook = "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\outlook.exe" ls_run_string = '"' + ls_outlook + '" /c IPM.Note /m ' + ' /a' + ls_attach run(ls_run_string) Note: ls_attach is the name of the document. I am trying to auto populate the email address and subject line. Do u know how to do this? >...

"access denied"
XP Pro Outlook 2002 SP2 I burned a CD of old Deleted Items to reduce the size of my .pst folder. I now want to Restore this information, so I'm trying to Import this data. I get an error message, "You do not have permission to open this file". I am the only user of this PC, and am the Amdinistrator (I think). What do I do? Bernie See FAQ 1.3 here: http://www.factplace.com/outlook.htm Aloha, -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, OneNote-MVP Roland Schorr & Tower http://www.rolandschorr.com Microsoft Outlook FAQ: http://www.factplace.com/outlook.htm **I apologize but I am unable t...

Export email addresses including aliases
Hi I have a medium organization with 5 different domains so each user has 5 to 10 email aliases. I can't find a way (an easy way) to export all email addresses into a script file so I can create accounts on our off-site anti-spam provider. DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO EXPORT EMAIL ALIASES IN EXCHANGE 2000 Thank you, Shawn. "Shawn" <slafferty@allcovered.com> wrote: >I have a medium organization with 5 different domains so each user has 5 to 10 email aliases. I can't find a way (an easy way) to export all email addresses into a script file so I can create accounts on o...

Problem importing a .pst file
Hi. I'm trying to import messages stored in a .pst file into Outlook (version 9.0.0.2711) with OS W2K. The file was created in Outlook under Windows XP. No error messages appear. The copying barometer comes up and it looks as if the messages are being imported. The problem is that I can't find them anywhere. What's going on? Tim They should be important in your main mailbox unless you've specified it to do otherwise. Do folder sizes indicate messages have been imported? You really should update your version of Outlook with Service Pack 3 and additional up...

Accessing emails through Web Outlook
I am attempting to connect to our exchange server via Web outlook and I am having difficulty. I enter the address and get a login window where I enter my username and password and domain and I get a response telling me the page is not available. I have confirmed with other colleagues and they are able to access their email through the web using IE 6.0.2800.1106 (The same version as mine) however I cannot. I am convinced that it is a setting on my IE however I don't know which one. Does it work from you inside the network? Have you talked to your Exchange administrator? anonym...

Importing MS Word file
I read somewhere that Publisher is the best for large documents, but it's the only DTP I can afford, so I want to do everything I can to see if I can get it to work for me. I have a novel that is around 76000 words. I'm wanting to put art work in my document and then have it printed on a commercial printer. I used Word to create a pretty nice document, but it doesn't seem good enough for the commecial printer. They sent me an email saying DPI settings were to small (I imported my art work at 300 DPI but I believe Word must have lowered the DPI to 199), also there is a prob...