Expiration Date Automatic Update

I have been tasked with building a database that keeps track of all the
different permits and licenses for our organization along with when they will
expire (dates and renewal frequencies vary), and am not sure if what I want
to it to accomplish can be achieved. I have the main license table that will
include all the licenses by site, with one record for each different license
(fields include site, license type, license number, expiration date, renewal
frequency in days, vendor name), and then another table that will be updated
with the payment information for each license (fields include site, license
number, vendor name, payment date, payment amount).  What I want is for the
expiration date in the license table to automatically update to the next
expiration date when payment information for the license is entered into the
payment table.  The payment table will be an ongoing history, meaning that it
will end up having multiple records for a license each time it is renewed, so
I also need to know if it's possible for each specific license expiration
date to update each time a new payment record is entered for it, despite
having other payment records in the table.  I would like to know if this is
possible and if so, within my capabilites and knowledge of Access (advanced
beginner to intermediate knowledge).  Any suggestions, ideas and tips on how
to accomplish this are appreciated...
access 16762 articles. 2 followers. Follow

From your description it appears to me that you probably don't need to store
the expiration date in a table at all, and moreover probably should not do so
as it would introduce redundancy, which would leave the table open to
inconsistent data.  The expiration date can be computed from the other data
which guarantees that it is up to date at any time.

As far as I can see the expiration date is determined by adding the number of
renewal frequency days to the latest (Max) payment date per licence per site
(for a variation see below).  You could do this with an expression in a
computed column in a query or computed control in a form or report, but I'd
suggest wrapping it in a little function, which can be called anywhere in the
database.  As you have both site and license number columns in both tables I
assume that they are related on the two columns, so you'd pass both of these
into the function, along with the number of days, as its arguments, in which
case it would be along these lines:

Function NextExpiration(strSite As String, _
                             lngLicenceNumber As Long, _
                             intRenewalInterval As Integer) As Variant

    Dim strCriteria As String
    Dim dtmLatestPaymentDate As Date

    strCriteria = "Site = """ & strSite & _
        """ And [License Number] = " & lngLicenceNumber

    dtmLatestPaymentDate = _
        DMax("[Payment Date]", "[LicencePayments]", strCriteria)

    NextExpiration = DateAdd("d", intRenewalInterval, dtmLatestPaymentDate)

End Function

I've assumed that the payments table is called LicencePayments, Site is a
text data type, and Licence Number a long integer number data type, and that
the initial expiration date is determined by the first payment date for the
site/licence number, and thereafter by the subsequent payment dates for the
same site/licence number.

Put the function in a standard module in the database.  It could then be
called as the ControlSource of a form or report based on the licences table
like so:

=NextExpiration([Site], [Licence Number], [Renewal Frequency])

or as a computed column in a query based on the licences table in the same
way.

Another possibility would be for the expiration date to be computed on the
basis of the renewal interval number of days, independently of the actual
payment dates following the first.  The computation for this would be the
initial payment date + the renewal interval number of days multiplied by the
number of payments less 1, in which case the function would be along these
lines:

Function NextExpiration(strSite As String, _
                             lngLicenceNumber As Long, _
                             intRenewalInterval As Integer) As Variant

    Dim strCriteria As String
    Dim dtmFirstPaymentDate As Date
    Dim intNumberOfPayments As Integer

    strCriteria = "Site = """ & strSite & _
        """ And [License Number] = " & lngLicenceNumber

    dtmFirstPaymentDate = _
        DMin("[Payment Date]", "[LicencePayments]", strCriteria)

    intNumberOfPayments = _
        DCount("*", "[LicencePayments]", strCriteria)

    NextExpiration = _
        DateAdd("d", (intNumberOfPayments -1) * _
        intRenewalInterval, dtmFirstPaymentDate )

End Function

The exception would be if it were permissible to manually vary the expiration
date value from the computed value, in which the date would be stored in a
column and one of the above functions used, but in this case to open a
licences for at the relevant record and update a control bound to the
expiration date column when a payment record is entered, enabling the user to
then vary the date from the computed one if necessary.  The form would be
opened, and the date updated by code in the AfterUpdate event procedure of a
payments form.

As the above functions rely on at least one row existing in the payments
table for the licence/site in question any control in a licences form which
calls the function will of course produce an error until such a row has been
inserted in the payments table.  Ideally the error should be handled by
amending the functions accordingly.

Ken Sheridan
Stafford, England

Beakie wrote:
>I have been tasked with building a database that keeps track of all the
>different permits and licenses for our organization along with when they will
>expire (dates and renewal frequencies vary), and am not sure if what I want
>to it to accomplish can be achieved. I have the main license table that will
>include all the licenses by site, with one record for each different license
>(fields include site, license type, license number, expiration date, renewal
>frequency in days, vendor name), and then another table that will be updated
>with the payment information for each license (fields include site, license
>number, vendor name, payment date, payment amount).  What I want is for the
>expiration date in the license table to automatically update to the next
>expiration date when payment information for the license is entered into the
>payment table.  The payment table will be an ongoing history, meaning that it
>will end up having multiple records for a license each time it is renewed, so
>I also need to know if it's possible for each specific license expiration
>date to update each time a new payment record is entered for it, despite
>having other payment records in the table.  I would like to know if this is
>possible and if so, within my capabilites and knowledge of Access (advanced
>beginner to intermediate knowledge).  Any suggestions, ideas and tips on how
>to accomplish this are appreciated...

KenSheridan
1/21/2010 12:19:49 AM
Ken has a great procedure, but you probably need to keep the expiration date
stored because renewal is normally based on a fixed renewal date, not the
payment date. If I pay early, the remaining license period should not be
shortened because of it. (i.e. If my expiration date is 31 Dec and my renewal
period is 30 days, my new expiration date should be 30 Jan, even if I pay on
15 Dec.)

It seems you have a lot of duplicate data in your two tables (site, vendor
name, etc.) You really only need it in one, just keep them linked vis the
primary keys. That way if something changes it is only in one place.
Jill

"KenSheridan via AccessMonster.com" wrote:

> [...]
> >with the payment information for each license (fields include site, license
> >number, vendor name, payment date, payment amount).  What I want is for the
> >expiration date in the license table to automatically update to the next
> >expiration date when payment information for the license is entered into the
> >payment table.  The payment table will be an ongoing history, meaning that it
> >will end up having multiple records for a license each time it is renewed, so
> >I also need to know if it's possible for each specific license expiration
> >date to update each time a new payment record is entered for it, despite
> >having other payment records in the table.  I would like to know if this is
> >possible and if so, within my capabilites and knowledge of Access (advanced
> >beginner to intermediate knowledge).  Any suggestions, ideas and tips on how

Jill:

That's covered in fact by the second version of the function I posted.  That
uses the first date as the base and computes the current expiry date by
adding the product of the renewal interval and the number of renewal payments,
so the actual dates of the renewals are immaterial, so whether they are early,
late or on the day, the computed expiry date would still be the same.

I tried to cover both potential scenarios as I've experienced both.  Mostly
the first date is used as the base, as you say, but as an example of the
alternative scenario, I quite often don't renew my 3-month pass to our local
sports centre until a few days after its expired, in which case the new
renewal date is 3 months from when I pay, not from when my previous renewal
expired.  So the OP has the choice of either approach as fits their business
model.

I suspect that you are right about the keys, though its possible that site
and licence number are a 2-column key if one licence can cover more than one
site, and I'd written the functions on this basis.  Vendor name is almost
certainly redundant in payments, however; I didn't spot that one!

Ken Sheridan
Stafford, England

Mrs. Ugh wrote:
>Ken has a great procedure, but you probably need to keep the expiration date
>stored because renewal is normally based on a fixed renewal date, not the
>payment date. If I pay early, the remaining license period should not be
>shortened because of it. (i.e. If my expiration date is 31 Dec and my renewal
>period is 30 days, my new expiration date should be 30 Jan, even if I pay on
>15 Dec.)
>
>It seems you have a lot of duplicate data in your two tables (site, vendor
>name, etc.) You really only need it in one, just keep them linked vis the
>primary keys. That way if something changes it is only in one place.
>Jill
>
>> From your description it appears to me that you probably don't need to store
>> the expiration date in a table at all, and moreover probably should not do so
>[quoted text clipped - 111 lines]
>> >beginner to intermediate knowledge).  Any suggestions, ideas and tips on how
>> >to accomplish this are appreciated...

KenSheridan

Sql error: Error # 2147217871 Time out expired.
I'm going to continue searching the web on this, but figured I'd ask if anybody has come across this error in RMS? "it Says Error # 2147217871 Time out expired. (Source: Microsoft OLE provider for SQL server Error in Post Transaction Entries) That comes up after about five minutes of nothing. Then hit OK and Run-time Error pops up. Then hit OK and Every thing shuts down and have to restart. At this point the sale does not seem to be recorded in all areas. " Thanks for any assistance in advance, again, I'll continue searching.... Wendy_I, If you are using M...

updated to 11.2.3 but only entourage notes shows up in .mac sync menu
so I would assume this means I can only sync notes. What about adresses and calendars? Any one have this issue? Any one solve it? Thanks in advance Entourage's addresses and calendar entries can be shared with Address Book and iCal, so you can keep using you traditional .mac synchronisation through the System Preferences for that. On 16.03.06 5:12, in article 1142485956.873353.220010@j33g2000cwa.googlegroups.com, "TripFoster" <trip.foster@gmail.com> wrote: > so I would assume this means I can only sync notes. What about adresses > and calendars? Any one have this...

Combo Box Update
What is the code and where should it be placed to update a main form combo box after entering data into a subform combo box? ...

Date Change
I have entered a date e.g. 9/10/03, and Excel changes it to 37874. I have tried to format the cell (Format/Format Cells/Number/Date/3/14/98), but it continues to convert it to 37874. Any suggestions on what to do to correct this? With the cell blank, format it to General. Then type in the date. HTH Otto "SVanN" <svannors@rochester.rr.com> wrote in message news:JHjbb.83785$yG2.46564@twister.nyroc.rr.com... > I have entered a date e.g. 9/10/03, and Excel changes it to 37874. I have > tried to format the cell (Format/Format Cells/Number/Date/3/14/98), but it > con...

Automatic printing
Is it possible to use a macro to print out a worksheet when a cell in that worksheet contains a specified number? I have a worsheet that pulls info from another program and I want it to print when cell d6 is at 10. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Try the following: Right click on the worksheet TAB>View Code then enter the following code Option Explicit Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) If Not Intersect(Target, Range("d6"...

Discounts for specific dates
Can I set up discounts to be applied for a range of dates. ie Candy Bars 2x3.00 from 04-01-05 to 04-30-05 We have a promotional sale every month and I was able to set up the sale for items except for those with these feature (discount) Fabricio, Use the Inventory Wizard and change the sale price. You can set dates for a sale price. Good luck, Matt "Fabricio" <Fabricio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4B1388C1-6FAD-430B-9691-0ED5BE6D2F8C@microsoft.com... > Can I set up discounts to be applied for a range of dates. > ie Candy Bars 2x3.00 from 04-01-0...

Expired contracts
I want to be able to delete expired (and/or invoiced) customer service contracts. CRM won't let me (the legal way!) so I guess a hack is in order. Has anybody done this and are there any gotchas?? BTW, the contracts were entered by a less than attentive PA and I want to kill them off or "unexpire" them with correct dates and correct line items. Cheers! There are many records like these which don't permit deletion (regardless of privilege). You should check with MBS or your MBS partner to find a supported way of removing them. >-----Original Message----- >I want...

what happened to portfolio updates
I used to get min by min updates on IWM and now I dont get an update but just shows at the end of the day that the price is different and it say %change, change, tot change = unch I have been noticing the same behavior, and it happened once before. I contacted the MSN Money help line last time, and they confirmed that there was an issue. In a week they had it fixed. I don't know why the issue came up again with the same symbol...sigh. Red ----------------------------------- "Michael" wrote: > I used to get min by min updates on IWM and now I dont get an update bu...

Date Diff
> I am new to Access.I work for a multi billion $ company and believe it not > have no expertise in Access.We have Access 2002.I created a table which has 2 > date fields.I would like to obtain the date difference excluding weedends.I > would like to know the formula and how and where to use it. > -- Insurance Guy Do a search on Weekdays. You'll find numerous threads relating to your problem. Bob PJ wrote: >> I am new to Access.I work for a multi billion $ company and believe it not >> have no expertise in Access.We have Access 2002.I created a table which ...

COUNTIFS with a date for criteria...
I want to count all the entries in column N that occurred between a range of dates specified in the other criteria. The dates are obviously in column B. I use this currently- COUNTIFS(Data!N:N,"=Option",Data!B:B,">=1/1/2009",Data!B:B,"<=2/28/2009") However, I use this similar function in multiple cells, all counting different attributes. Rather than going into each cell and changing the search dates, I wanted a criteria to be a variable that can be entered into a different set of cells... like this. COUNTIFS(Data!N:N,"=Option",D...

Formatting a date different from the date options available
I am using ACCESS 2007 and would like to format the date as ex: 2009-Nov-19 in a table. It would also be nice if this cell would automatically format the date to the above format even if the person entering the date typed in 7/9/1975. Could anyone help me do this, or can it even be done? Thanks, Janet B Janet B <Janet B@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am using ACCESS 2007 and would like to format the date as ex: 2009-Nov-19 >in a table. It would also be nice if this cell would automatically format >the date to the above format even if the person entering ...

Before Update event for Form
Why is it I cant use 'setfocus' in this event? I validate field contents here and would like to set the focus to fields that are invalid. Am I doing this wrong? Is there a better way? Thanks. mscertified wrote: >Why is it I cant use 'setfocus' in this event? I validate field contents here >and would like to set the focus to fields that are invalid. Can't tell what's wrong without seeing the event procedure, but what you are describing is the normal way to do it. -- Marsh MVP [MS Access] ...

Expiration
Anyone know how to find out when my Money 2003 will fail to download = quotes? I know there is a timer in there somewhere, but do not know how = to access the value. David 1yr for the Standard; 3yrs for the Deluxe measured from your first usage. If we knew where they hid it we could 'zap' it couldn't we? arthur -- On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 21:58:26 -0500, "David" wrote: >Anyone know how to find out when my Money 2003 will fail to download quotes? I know there is a timer in there somewhere, but do not know how to access the value. >David In microsoft.public.mone...

FWD: See the security update which came from MS Corp.
--sbekynbmlyaergfq Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="zhiahdvb"; type="multipart/alternative" --zhiahdvb Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="uldotynzjetuu" --uldotynzjetuu Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable MS User this is the latest version of security update, the "November 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which eliminates all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities. Install now to protect you...

Date Find on or Prior to Today
I need a view that will find records if a date field is "on or before" to today. While "on or before" is an operatior, you can only set this to a specific date. Any ideas on how to make this dynamic would be appreciated. Thanks! AAA, If you want to see Dates from anytime prior to the present day, using the Last X Years will suffice. "AAA" wrote: > I need a view that will find records if a date field is "on or before" to > today. While "on or before" is an operatior, you can only set this to a > specific date. Any ideas...

Money 2006 Fails to Update
When I start Money 2006, a message appears saying that "Additional Money program file are now being downloaded to your computer." It tells me I can continue to use Money, but when I choose the Reports module, it tells me that there is a Money Upgrade in Progress, and that I cannot access that module until the upgrade is complete. Unfortunately, the download never completes -- the status always stays at 1%. I get no errors of any type telling me what the problem might be. Any idea what is going wrong? Is there a way to manually get the updates? In microsoft.public.money, hurrican...

automatic installation of outlook macro
Is it posssible to create a MSI file to install a outlook macro ?? - or can i simply place the macro in an outlook system folder, to load it ??? Thanks All macros are part of the VBAProject.OTM file. They aren't stored individually and there is no easy way to distribute macros. If you distribute the entire project file and replace the current one for each user that would work but would replace any macros that the users currently have. In addition, unless macro security is set to Low the users would be prompted to enable macros each time they start Outlook. Low security is a major risk, ...

Can I have CRM automatically check for duplicate leads or contacts
Can I have CRM automatically check for duplicate names when I enter a new lead or contact Microsoft CRM does not check for duplicates. You either need to put a business process in place ie everyone check before adding new records or implement or buy a custom solution -- John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.mscrmfaq.us "Brand" <Brand@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C9808E87-37D7-447D-BB6F-505C62287676@microsoft.com... > Can I have CRM automatically check for duplicate names when I enter a new > lead or contact Thank you for your help &...

You cannot install Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac 12.0.1 Update on this volume
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: intel This error message comes up when trying to load on the 12.0.1 upgrade. "You cannot install Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac 12.0.1 Update on this volume. A version of the software required to install this update was not found on this volume." I have tried re-installing 2008 again and also all the other recommendations offered by Microsoft, but to no avail. Any ideas? It sounds to me like you don't yet have the 2.1.1 update to AutoUpdate which is required to install the Office 12.0.1 update. Download & ...

Date Calculations
I have to create a formula in excel that takes a date (4-1-2010) and subtracts another date from it (2-1-2008) and gives me the remainder of months. Any ideas? How do you define a month difference? 30 days? Calendar months? What about months with different numbers of days. E.g., how many months between 28-Feb and 31-March. 1? 1+3/30? You need to define how the months should be calculated. At its simplest, just subtract one date from the other and divide by 30. That will give one of several possible answers. Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft Most Valuable Professional, Excel,...

Customer Vendor Consolidation transfer date
When working in the Customer/Vendor Consolidation window, I am trying to change the Transfer Date to a prior day but the Transfer Date keeps reverting back to the User Date. The only way I have been able to work around this is to change my User Date to the date I want the transfer to post. Is there a problem with this window? We are on GP 10.0 Sue, I saw this issue once in the past where our customer was not registered for Multicurrency. Can you confirm that you do not have Multicurrency registered (or enabled)? Apparently something about that field requires MC. I do not know o...

Outlook 2003
Is there any way in Outlook 2003 to automatically mark all Junk email filtered to the Junk email folder as "read"? I don't want to select the "delete immediately" option as I like to scan the folder occasionally for false positives, but also it is annoying to be constantly reminded by the bold typeface in the "Today" view that there are an ever increasing number of unread items in the Junk folder. Ric, you wrote on Tue, 17 Jan 2006 21:31:11 +0100: > Is there any way in Outlook 2003 to automatically mark all Junk email > filtered to the Junk ...

Format dates
Hello, I would like to format a dates in column A to a specific format (either directly in column A or column B) The format is ddmmy. So for example 18/1/2006 should appear as 18016 and 3/12/2006 should appear as 03126. Is there a way to do this? Using "format cells/date" wont do the trick. Any suggestions please? Thank you, Steven. Hi! Use a CUSTOM format of ddmmy. Select the cells Goto Format>Cells>Number>Custom In that little box on the right type: ddmmy OK out Biff "steven" <steven@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2B7AB99C-9...

Setting rules for moving messages automatically
I am new to Outlook. I want to set a rule that when mail from specific individuals addressed to me can be moved automatically AFTER BEING READ to a specific folder. I would like them moved to the folder but not deleted. What are the steps in creating the rule so they dont get moved before I have "read" the message ?? Rules work on mail as received, not after being read. --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. =20 After furious head scra...