emailing a large database - any extreme zip program out there?

My sister borrowed my computer and it out of town. I need to get a database
from it for a client(HELP).  zipped up when you just rt. click on file and go
to send to zip is 40MB  - It will not email-

I already compacted and repaired it and this is the size

Any ideas- is their any programs out there that will super compress???? a
file to be able to email it??

help
Thanks,
Barb
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

"babs" <babs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My sister borrowed my computer and it out of town. I need to get a
> database
> from it for a client(HELP).  zipped up when you just rt. click on file and
> go
> to send to zip is 40MB  - It will not email-
>
> I already compacted and repaired it and this is the size
>
> Any ideas- is their any programs out there that will super compress???? a
> file to be able to email it??

Sometimes creating a new blank db and importing all the objects from the
existing db will reduce the size. Especially if this db contains both the
data and the forms, code, etc. With the new db, do NOT open anything that
could cause code to run. That way the code remains uncompiled. Just import
all objects from the existing db, and then compact/repair the new db. If the
db has any code that runs automatically or forms that open automatically,
hold down the Shift key when doing the compact/repair to prevent the
automatic actions.

The current version of WinZip has more advanced compression options than
what is built into Windows. You didn't say how you're currently compressing,
but you could try the trial version if you are already close to your mail
service sending limit.

Maybe some of the free mail accounts offer larger file size limits than what
you're using now?

If that's not enough, the only option that comes to mind is storing the file
on a mutually-reachable server. If you don't have access to a server, there
are plenty of "cloud-based" options available. Microsoft has Live Drive, and
there are many others. I don't use them so I can't make a recommendation.

0
Paul
4/21/2010 12:57:24 PM
On Apr 21, 2:37=A0pm, babs <b...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> My sister borrowed my computer and it out of town. I need to get a databa=
se
> from it for a client(HELP). =A0zipped up when you just rt. click on file =
and go
> to send to zip is 40MB =A0- It will not email-
>
> I already compacted and repaired it and this is the size
>
> Any ideas- is their any programs out there that will super compress???? a
> file to be able to email it??
>
> help
> Thanks,
> Barb

Use a service like http://www.yousendit.com/ to send the file.

Groeten,

Peter
http://access.xps350.com
0
XPS350
4/21/2010 12:57:25 PM
My first thought would be to access an ftp connection to drop the file...,
but I'm assuming you don't have access to an ftp server, hence the question.

I like Paul's Idea of importing all you db ojects into a new db and then
performing a compile, compact and repair.

As for compressing file, 7-Zip has always had the best compression in my
experience using the native 7-Zip format (which mean both the sender &
recipient must have 7-Zip).  You can get it, for free no strings attached at

http://www.7-zip.org

But even if you do manage to compress it more, I doubt you'll have enough of
a difference to being to e-mail it.  Do you know what limit you ISP has for
single e-mail size?  If it is 35MB, maybe you'll acheive it, but if it is
around 15-20MB I doubt you'll be able to gain that much just by improved
compression.  In which case FTP is still your best option or Burn a CD and
mail it express (Cost a couple $$$ but they'll have it fast enough).
--
Hope this helps,

Daniel Pineault
http://www.cardaconsultants.com/

"babs" wrote:

> My sister borrowed my computer and it out of town. I need to get a database
> from it for a client(HELP).  zipped up when you just rt. click on file and go
> to send to zip is 40MB  - It will not email-
>
> I already compacted and repaired it and this is the size
>
> Any ideas- is their any programs out there that will super compress???? a
> file to be able to email it??
>
> help
> Thanks,
> Barb
WinRar allows you to split archives into volumes of 10mb each

put them all back in the same directory, after emailing each slice
individually

and then right click and extract into a single directory

On Apr 21, 5:37=A0am, babs <b...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> My sister borrowed my computer and it out of town. I need to get a databa=
se
> from it for a client(HELP). =A0zipped up when you just rt. click on file =
and go
> to send to zip is 40MB =A0- It will not email-
>
> I already compacted and repaired it and this is the size
>
> Any ideas- is their any programs out there that will super compress???? a
> file to be able to email it??
>
> help
> Thanks,
> Barb

DropBox might be an option too...http://www.dropbox.com
0
Tom
4/21/2010 5:59:25 PM
babs <babs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>My sister borrowed my computer and it out of town. I need to get a database
>from it for a client(HELP).  zipped up when you just rt. click on file and go
>to send to zip is 40MB  - It will not email-
>
>I already compacted and repaired it and this is the size
>
>Any ideas- is their any programs out there that will super compress???? a
>file to be able to email it??

Once you compress it using Winzip, WinRAR or other program another
alternative to use for file storage is skydrive.live.com run by
Microsoft.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Tony

http://www.dropbox.com
--
Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
http://www.datastrat.com

"babs" <babs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My sister borrowed my computer and it out of town. I need to get a
> database
> from it for a client(HELP).  zipped up when you just rt. click on file and
> go
> to send to zip is 40MB  - It will not email-
>
> I already compacted and repaired it and this is the size
>
> Any ideas- is their any programs out there that will super compress???? a
> file to be able to email it??
>
> help
> Thanks,
> Barb

0
Arvin
4/21/2010 8:01:59 PM
"Arvin Meyer [MVP]" <arvinm@mvps.invalid> wrote in

> You might consider using DropBox which will sync to as many
> computers as you like. The first 2 GBs of space is free, and you
> can even use an iPhone to facilitate transfer.
>
> http://www.dropbox.com

I've read about DropBox and have been considering it for one client.
Have others here used it? Comments?

David
4/23/2010 2:18:14 AM
I've used it for dealing with one client for awhile now.  Couldn't be
simplier.  Coupled with the free version of LogMeIn, its a great
solution at the right price!
0
Tom

Can Recieve email but cannot send out
For Outlook 2003, cannot send out. Have internet connection, and can receive emails. I have tried disabling firewall and Norton, but no luck. Any suggestions? are you getting any kind of error back? "Mark Sanford" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:cc5901c43909$3916a210$a301280a@phx.gbl... > For Outlook 2003, cannot send out. Have internet > connection, and can receive emails. I have tried > disabling firewall and Norton, but no luck. Any > suggestions? "Mark Sanford" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in me...

Can't forward to an external email address...
We have a user that uses his external AOL account as well as his company email account. He has asked me to forward all company mail to his external AOL account. I figured I'd be able to just go into the delivery options on the "Exchange General" tab for his user profile and forward to the appropriate address. However, you cannot enter just any address in there, it forces you to select an address from the directory - of course his AOL address is not there. Is there an easy way to forward all mail from his internal account to an external account? I tried creating a rule on his Out...

HELP: Lost all my old emails
Hello, First there was the power failure. Then there was Windows XP recovery program (that ran automatically). Now, my desktop is blown away and all my Outlook emails and contacts are gone. Could these files be lurking in some obscure directory? Don't say search for dbx files. My computer doesn't have any. I'm running Windows XP media edition. Regards and thanks. do a search for pst files. or you can try .pab files for your personal address book. If those arent there.. You might be screwed! I save my pst files on my server where they are backed up.. for just this re...

Email
I have created a simple Access database that our HR department will use to input demographic information on a new employee, as well as what software, access, etc. a new employee will need. Again, it is VERY simple, but what I can't figure out is how to create a button that the HR staff can click on and the file, with all the information, is emailed to our IS department. Can this be done? You can setup a report to based on your current record and email it using SendObject or using Outlook automation. This does require a minimal amount of VBA programming in either case. If you sear...

outlook email questionaire
I want to send an email to clients that has a questionaire on it with text answers. I want them to be able to answer the questions and then click a button at the bottom of the page that will send it directly to my email without them having to enter my address. How do I do this? Well, i's possible to do what you want (mail a form to someone that's editable on the receiving end and runs code to send mail when done) but is not easy. Check out www. outlookcode.com for some ideas on how to approach this. If you are not using an exchange server, I'd recommend using Form Regions...

email addresses in memory
An outlook 2003 user states that when sending out an email and when they type in a letter in the "to" area the email addresses that were in memory when you type a letter or name are gone. They said they didn't do anything different. The addresses are in the contact list but there is nothing in memory so you have to type the whole address in. Is this possible or can address in memory be deleted or removed? They are stored in the *.nk2 file located in Docs&Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook (by default) You dont have to type the address in, just click the &...

Unlinking tracked emails in CRM 3.0
I find that once an email is linked to/tracked by CRM (Customer, Client, Activity) it can't be unlinked! only deleted. For example; A client uses an old CRM generated email containing the tracking token to ask about a new problem. CRM automatically tracks the new email to the old CRM case and I can't untrack it to link it to a new case. Any information would be helpful... Hi, Check out "How to "untrack" Microsoft CRM Outlook e-mails" on following blog http://blog.sonomapartners.com/ -- PLEASE do click on Yes or No button if this post was helpful or not for ou...

Korean email
I can type and send Korean characters in emails but cannot receive them in Outlook 2003. Any help? ...

Instant search of emails (10,000) fails
Failure of instant search requires reboot befor resolving for search or two and again fails ...

How do I Full screen an Email???
I looking for a way to look at an email that I receive in a full screen mode. The way I'm trying to see it is like I was in I.E. and pressed the f11 key or if I was in Word or Excel & used the Alt+V+U function for full screen. What I am trying to see just the heart of the email not the header or anything else but the email body Craig <cb3_3@hotmail.com> wrote: > I looking for a way to look at an email that I receive in > a full screen mode. The way I'm trying to see it is like > I was in I.E. and pressed the f11 key or if I was in > Word or Excel & us...

outlook express outgoing email disappears
I use Windows98 SE and Outlook Express6. Sometimes and with different addressees when I send an email it is received by the addressee ok but it is not in my sent items folder so I have no record of it! It does not happen every time -- perhaps about 1 in 6. I'M probably overlooking the obvious. Suggestions welcome. i suggest the outlook express newsgroup -Gary "Sean Dunne" <dunnes@iol.ie> wrote in message news:128d001c3f72d$d457f8f0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > I use Windows98 SE and Outlook Express6. Sometimes and > with different addressees when I send an email it...

Missing text in email
I recently installed Exchange 2003. From time to time when my users send email outside the company there messages are missing text upon arrival. The text missing could be two sentences at the end of a paragraph and the next one starts okay, or it could be a very words missing here and that. Any ideas of this Michelle P. Michelle: I know you have probably thought about this already, but do you have any type of content inspection system installed on your Exchange server? Or anything installed that stamps a message disclaimer on the message. Is the message changed by the clien...

email forwarding to my other email
I have two email accounts. One I use for work and the other for personal. For some reason, my personal email is being forwarded to my work email. I don't know why and how do I stop it....? Are these POP3 accounts? Has it ever worked? Are they separate accounts, or addresses that are aliases for the same Inbox? Does your personal e-mail show in both places, or is it going to your work only? Any rules set up in WinMail, or on the server's Website? -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA "az otr" <az otr@disc...

Emails not leaving outbox
Hi all - I am having what seems to be a common problem, but all of the suggested fixes I found did not work. I have set up SQLServer to use MAPI to email notifications. I have Outlook 2000 installed and configured and working. The SQLServer notifications part isworking too. The only thing I can't figure out is the emails never leave the outbox until I start Outlook and click Send/Receive. Then they are all sent fine. I read some articles mentioning MAPISP32, which appears to be the culprit. From what I see it's supposed to spool emails that are in the Outlook outbox. I found after I ...

question about grouping the emails.
Hi, I am signed-up to a discussion group and i get question about a prob and also solutions as a reply. i am grouping the e-mails by subject, For example... subject: "problem with ABCDE" in reply the subject will be "RE: problem with ABCDE" now Outlook2003 is grouping these two into seperate groups and if there is a reply with subject "RE:RE: problem with ABCDE" it groups that seperately. i want to group the replies also into the same group. the reply to the emails are grouped seperately. i want to have an exception in the grouping saying to ignore the word...

Outlook Client
Hi all, In the web client there is an email icon available from the views which allows you to send a direct email to the selected records in the view. Does anyone know if there is any way to call this from the Outlook client. Appreciate it :) cheers Nathan Hi, I'm afraid I can't help you out on this one. But I found that it's not only the icon missing in the Outlook client, but as soon as the Outlook client is active, the icon disappears in the Webclient also. This seems the same issue to me as the settings button disappearing when the Outlook client is active, wh...

Not receiving emails
I have not checked my emails for 1 week. Now when I try to log in it ask for a user name and password. When I enter them it states Your servers has unexpectedly terminated the connections 0x800CCC0F???????????????? I can send messages but can't receive HELP ANYONE. Pam C wrote: > I have not checked my emails for 1 week. Now when I try > to log in it ask for a user name and password. When I > enter them it states Your servers has unexpectedly > terminated the connections 0x800CCC0F???????????????? > I can send messages but can't receive HELP ANYONE. This is an is...

Purging Junk Email
Hi. The problem is that for the most part, my users don't purge their junk on their own and it just keeps builing up and it is stating to take up way too much space on my exchange server. I need to know if there is a way of automatically purging my users' Junk E-mail Folders every week on the server side (Excahnge) as oppsed to the client side (Outlook). Yes, use Mailbox Manager its a very nice tool to keep your Exchange Mailboxes clean. See http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/MF012.html -- John Oliver, Jr. MCSE, MCT, CCNA, Exchange MVP Microsoft Certified Partner "Otto H...

Hyperlinks blocked within email messages
Suddenly I can't open any links from within received messages. I receive the following error message: "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator." "System administrator" would be me. This is a standalone computer connected via a Linksys router to a cable modem. There's no domain involved and there are two Users (both administrators) set up, only one of which has the problem. I'm using Outlook 2007 under Vista Ultimate and this has only started happening in the last week...

Differences between Bulk email, Email, and Bulk Emails inside Contact?
Hi Buddy, I would like to clarify the main differences between these three attributes, are they affecting the marketing list? If contact "Mr. A" is turn bulk email off, what would happen if we send out a email campaign? Is there any references that would let me to learn more on these attributes? Thanks a million! Below is an excerpt from the CRM help files. I hope this helps. My understanding is that if you select to Allow E-mail and select to Do Not Allow Bulk e-mail that the Contact or Account will receive "regular" e-mail but will not receive e-mail related to ...

import email from thunderbird
I need to import from thunderbird to outlook 2003. The help I find so far is not helpful, since it implies I need to either install a new version of netscape and import from tbird to netscape first, or import to outlook express first and then into outlook. I do not have outlook express. Why should I need to install a thrid program to import to as an intermediary step? Outlook does not find the email foders located in C:\Documents and Settings\userid\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\something.default\Mail , which is where tbird stores them. What's up with that? tom wright ...

Email Router Queueing Emails?
We just upgraded from CRM 3.0 to CRM 4.0 and now it takes 15 -20 minutes for the first email messages of the day to be delivered. Another group at my company noticed the same issue. Normal Emails sent through Outlook are not being delayed during that same time frame so it doesn't appear to be an Exchange issue. However, I'm not an Exchange admin or really familiar with the admnistrative aspects of the product so I don't know where to start looking. Is there something in the CRM that would tell me what time emails are being sent? -- Thanks, Jim FYI ... I'm not usi...

How to send message to other application through ur program
hello friends, I am new to MFC and Want to send messages to Notepad.i want full control over notepad . iam woking with window xp platform and using vc++6.so tell me how can i do that .try to explain if want the whole code for that. > I am new to MFC and Want to send messages to Notepad.i want full > control over notepad . iam woking with window xp platform and using > vc++6.so tell me how can i do that .try to explain if want the whole > code for that. I am not sure if you can get full control over Notepad, but you can certainly send a message, alter its text etc. Use FindWindow...

what is the url for yahoo or sbcglobal email
If you're trying to use HTTP mail support to get those mail types, you can't since it only works for Hotmail/MSN. If you're looking for the POP3/SMTP (incoming/outgoing mail) hosts, that's different "Jennifer" <Jennifer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F3A60BC6-B7C7-4401-803D-2C0571B0F7CF@microsoft.com... > ...

Displaying identity of sender in email -
All I see is the size of the file - Huh? -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA "Janet" <Janet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:61262870-AE8B-4BB0-AC74-BDC1F250F397@microsoft.com... > All I see is the size of the file - Where are you looking? The message list pane in Windows Mail normally displays: From, Subject, Received. Additional information columns can be added by right-clicking on any column header. Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) ------------------------------------------------------...