Detecting Vista

I've seen a number of codes to detect the current operating system,
but they haven't been updated to detect vista.  One of the more
commonly referred codes at The Access Web http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0055.htm
; however, it doesn't detect vista.  Does anyone have a code to detect
the current windows version that includes Vista?

Thanks,
PC
0
PC
11/27/2007 8:28:19 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

15 Replies
745 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 24

Vista should be

                .dwMajorVersion = 5 And _
                .dwMinorVersion = 2 Then

(I think the code from "The Access Web" identifies it as ""Windows .NET 
Server ")

-- 
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele
(no e-mails, please!)


"PC User" <pc_user@softhome.net> wrote in message 
news:99788a82-963e-4a1f-98ff-3359cf6dc902@a35g2000prf.googlegroups.com...
> I've seen a number of codes to detect the current operating system,
> but they haven't been updated to detect vista.  One of the more
> commonly referred codes at The Access Web 
> http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0055.htm
> ; however, it doesn't detect vista.  Does anyone have a code to detect
> the current windows version that includes Vista?
>
> Thanks,
> PC 


0
Douglas
11/27/2007 8:48:37 PM
Are you sure about that? I thought it was

..dwMajorVersion = 6 And _
..dwMinorVersion = 0 Then

"Douglas J. Steele" <NOSPAM_djsteele@NOSPAM_canada.com> wrote in message 
news:uRKMkbTMIHA.5860@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Vista should be
>
>                .dwMajorVersion = 5 And _
>                .dwMinorVersion = 2 Then
>
> (I think the code from "The Access Web" identifies it as ""Windows .NET 
> Server ")
>
> -- 
> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
> http://I.Am/DougSteele
> (no e-mails, please!)
>
>
> "PC User" <pc_user@softhome.net> wrote in message 
> news:99788a82-963e-4a1f-98ff-3359cf6dc902@a35g2000prf.googlegroups.com...
>> I've seen a number of codes to detect the current operating system,
>> but they haven't been updated to detect vista.  One of the more
>> commonly referred codes at The Access Web 
>> http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0055.htm
>> ; however, it doesn't detect vista.  Does anyone have a code to detect
>> the current windows version that includes Vista?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> PC
>
> 


0
Ron
11/27/2007 11:48:19 PM
You're absolutely right. 5 & 2 is Windows 2003. Don't know what I was 
thinking of.

Thanks for the assist. (Sorry for the misinformation, PC User!)

-- 
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele
(no private e-mails, please)


"Ron Hinds" <billg@microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:%23i8Qt%23UMIHA.5040@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Are you sure about that? I thought it was
>
> .dwMajorVersion = 6 And _
> .dwMinorVersion = 0 Then
>
> "Douglas J. Steele" <NOSPAM_djsteele@NOSPAM_canada.com> wrote in message 
> news:uRKMkbTMIHA.5860@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>> Vista should be
>>
>>                .dwMajorVersion = 5 And _
>>                .dwMinorVersion = 2 Then
>>
>> (I think the code from "The Access Web" identifies it as ""Windows .NET 
>> Server ")
>>
>> -- 
>> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
>> http://I.Am/DougSteele
>> (no e-mails, please!)
>>
>>
>> "PC User" <pc_user@softhome.net> wrote in message 
>> news:99788a82-963e-4a1f-98ff-3359cf6dc902@a35g2000prf.googlegroups.com...
>>> I've seen a number of codes to detect the current operating system,
>>> but they haven't been updated to detect vista.  One of the more
>>> commonly referred codes at The Access Web 
>>> http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0055.htm
>>> ; however, it doesn't detect vista.  Does anyone have a code to detect
>>> the current windows version that includes Vista?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> PC
>>
>>
>
> 


0
Douglas
11/28/2007 12:06:15 AM
It sounds like I need to add some code the referenced procedure.
Would it be something like this?
           If .dwPlatformId = VER_PLATFORM_WIN32_WINDOWS And _
                .dwMajorVersion = 6 And _
                .dwMinorVersion = 0 Then
                    strOut = "Windows Vista (Version " & _
                        .dwMajorVersion & "." & .dwMinorVersion & _
                        ") Build " & .dwBuildNumber
                    If (Len(.szCSDVersion)) Then
                        strOut = strOut & " (" & _
                                    fTrimNull(.szCSDVersion) & ")"
                    End If
            End If

Thanks,
PC

0
PC
11/28/2007 1:45:13 AM
Exactly.

-- 
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele
(no e-mails, please!)


"PC User" <pc_user@softhome.net> wrote in message 
news:2e31f29e-8165-49c2-a5cd-5ec58ae7caa5@e25g2000prg.googlegroups.com...
> It sounds like I need to add some code the referenced procedure.
> Would it be something like this?
>           If .dwPlatformId = VER_PLATFORM_WIN32_WINDOWS And _
>                .dwMajorVersion = 6 And _
>                .dwMinorVersion = 0 Then
>                    strOut = "Windows Vista (Version " & _
>                        .dwMajorVersion & "." & .dwMinorVersion & _
>                        ") Build " & .dwBuildNumber
>                    If (Len(.szCSDVersion)) Then
>                        strOut = strOut & " (" & _
>                                    fTrimNull(.szCSDVersion) & ")"
>                    End If
>            End If
>
> Thanks,
> PC
> 


0
Douglas
11/28/2007 1:34:37 PM
"PC User" <pc_user@softhome.net> wrote in message 
news:2e31f29e-8165-49c2-a5cd-5ec58ae7caa5@e25g2000prg.googlegroups.com...
> It sounds like I need to add some code the referenced procedure.
> Would it be something like this?
>           If .dwPlatformId = VER_PLATFORM_WIN32_WINDOWS And _
>                .dwMajorVersion = 6 And _
>                .dwMinorVersion = 0 Then
>                    strOut = "Windows Vista (Version " & _
>                        .dwMajorVersion & "." & .dwMinorVersion & _
>                        ") Build " & .dwBuildNumber
>                    If (Len(.szCSDVersion)) Then
>                        strOut = strOut & " (" & _
>                                    fTrimNull(.szCSDVersion) & ")"
>                    End If
>            End If


That's good, except that I've found that the code concerned with 
..szCSDVersion (whatever that is) isn't right.  I modified the code as 
follows:

'----- start of modified code (summarized) -----

    Dim strCSDVersion As String

    ' ...

        With osvi

            strCSDVersion = fTrimNull(.szCSDVersion)
            If (Len(strCSDVersion)) Then
                strCSDVersion = " (" & strCSDVersion & ")"
            End If

            ' ...

            ' Vista
            If .dwPlatformId = VER_PLATFORM_WIN32_NT And _
                .dwMajorVersion = 6 And _
                .dwMinorVersion = 0 Then
                    strOut = "Windows Vista (Version " & _
                        .dwMajorVersion & "." & .dwMinorVersion & _
                        ") Build " & .dwBuildNumber & strCSDVersion
            End If

'----- end of modified code (summarized) -----

I made similar changes (concatenating strCSDVersion into strOut) in the 
other OS versions to which it applies.

-- 
Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP
www.datagnostics.com

(please reply to the newsgroup)

0
Dirk
11/28/2007 4:46:27 PM
I tried using this function on a field on a form and activating it by
the On Load form event using Me.txtWindowsVersion = fOSName() and it
doesn't work.  What am I doing wrong?  See code below.

Code
'=========================
Option Compare Database

' ******** Code Start ********
 'This code was originally written by Dev Ashish.
 'It is not to be altered or distributed,
 'except as part of an application.
 'You are free to use it in any application,
 'provided the copyright notice is left unchanged.
 '
 'Code Courtesy of
 'Dev Ashish
 '

Private Type OSVERSIONINFO
    dwOSVersionInfoSize As Long
    dwMajorVersion As Long
    dwMinorVersion As Long
    dwBuildNumber As Long
    dwPlatformId As Long
    szCSDVersion As String * 128
End Type

Private Declare Function apiGetVersionEx Lib "kernel32" _
    Alias "GetVersionExA" _
    (lpVersionInformation As Any) _
    As Long

Private Const VER_PLATFORM_WIN32_WINDOWS = 1
Private Const VER_PLATFORM_WIN32_NT = 2

'==================================================

Function fOSName() As String
Dim osvi As OSVERSIONINFO
Dim strOut As String
Dim strCSDVersion As String

    osvi.dwOSVersionInfoSize = Len(osvi)
    If CBool(apiGetVersionEx(osvi)) Then
        With osvi

            strCSDVersion = fTrimNull(.szCSDVersion)
            ' Win 2000
            If .dwPlatformId = VER_PLATFORM_WIN32_NT And _
                .dwMajorVersion = 5 Then
                    strOut = "Windows 2000 (Version " & _
                        .dwMajorVersion & "." & .dwMinorVersion & _
                        ") Build " & .dwBuildNumber
                    If (Len(.szCSDVersion)) Then
                        strOut = strOut & " (" & _
                                    fTrimNull(.szCSDVersion) & ")"
                    End If
            End If
            ' XP
            If .dwPlatformId = VER_PLATFORM_WIN32_NT And _
                .dwMajorVersion = 5 And _
                .dwMinorVersion = 1 Then
                    strOut = "Windows XP (Version " & _
                        .dwMajorVersion & "." & .dwMinorVersion & _
                        ") Build " & .dwBuildNumber
                    If (Len(.szCSDVersion)) Then
                        strOut = strOut & " (" & _
                                    fTrimNull(.szCSDVersion) & ")"
                    End If
            End If
            ' .Net Server
            If .dwPlatformId = VER_PLATFORM_WIN32_NT And _
                .dwMajorVersion = 5 And _
                .dwMinorVersion = 2 Then
                    strOut = "Windows .NET Server (Version " & _
                        .dwMajorVersion & "." & .dwMinorVersion & _
                        ") Build " & .dwBuildNumber
                    If (Len(.szCSDVersion)) Then
                        strOut = strOut & " (" & _
                                    fTrimNull(.szCSDVersion) & ")"
                    End If
            End If
            ' Win ME
            If (.dwMajorVersion = 4 And _
                (.dwPlatformId = VER_PLATFORM_WIN32_WINDOWS And _
                .dwMinorVersion = 90)) Then
                    strOut = "Windows Millenium"
            End If
            ' Win 98
            If (.dwMajorVersion = 4 And _
                (.dwPlatformId = VER_PLATFORM_WIN32_WINDOWS And _
                .dwMinorVersion = 10)) Then
                    strOut = "Windows 98"
            End If
            ' Win 95
            If (.dwPlatformId = VER_PLATFORM_WIN32_WINDOWS And _
                .dwMinorVersion = 0) Then
                    strOut = "Windows 95"
            End If
            ' Win NT
            If (.dwPlatformId = VER_PLATFORM_WIN32_NT And _
                .dwMajorVersion <= 4) Then
                strOut = "Windows NT " & _
                        .dwMajorVersion & "." & .dwMinorVersion & _
                        " Build " & .dwBuildNumber
                If (Len(.szCSDVersion)) Then
                        strOut = strOut & " (" & _
                                    fTrimNull(.szCSDVersion) & ")"
                End If
'*************************************************************************
            ' Vista
            If .dwPlatformId = VER_PLATFORM_WIN32_NT And _
                .dwMajorVersion = 6 And _
                .dwMinorVersion = 0 Then
                    strOut = "Windows Vista (Version " & _
                        .dwMajorVersion & "." & .dwMinorVersion & _
                        ") Build " & .dwBuildNumber & strCSDVersion
                If (Len(strCSDVersion)) Then
                    strCSDVersion = " (" & strCSDVersion & ")"
                End If
            End If
'*************************************************************************
            End If
        End With
    End If
    fOSName = strOut
End Function

'==================================================

Private Function fTrimNull(strIn As String) As String
Dim intPos As Integer
    intPos = InStr(1, strIn, vbNullChar)
    If intPos Then
        fTrimNull = Mid$(strIn, 1, intPos - 1)
    Else
        fTrimNull = strIn
    End If
End Function
'   ********** Code End **********
'=========================


Thanks,
PC
0
PC
11/29/2007 12:01:58 AM
What does "doesn't work" mean?

Do you get an error message? If so, what's the message? If you don't get an 
error message, what symptom are you experiencing?

-- 
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele
(no private e-mails, please)


"PC User" <pc_user@softhome.net> wrote in message 
news:b5805db6-391c-4b2a-a32c-846ddb250b95@i29g2000prf.googlegroups.com...
>I tried using this function on a field on a form and activating it by
> the On Load form event using Me.txtWindowsVersion = fOSName() and it
> doesn't work.  What am I doing wrong?  See code below.
>
> Code
> '=========================
> Option Compare Database
>
> ' ******** Code Start ********
> 'This code was originally written by Dev Ashish.
> 'It is not to be altered or distributed,
> 'except as part of an application.
> 'You are free to use it in any application,
> 'provided the copyright notice is left unchanged.
> '
> 'Code Courtesy of
> 'Dev Ashish
> '
>
> Private Type OSVERSIONINFO
>    dwOSVersionInfoSize As Long
>    dwMajorVersion As Long
>    dwMinorVersion As Long
>    dwBuildNumber As Long
>    dwPlatformId As Long
>    szCSDVersion As String * 128
> End Type
>
> Private Declare Function apiGetVersionEx Lib "kernel32" _
>    Alias "GetVersionExA" _
>    (lpVersionInformation As Any) _
>    As Long
>
> Private Const VER_PLATFORM_WIN32_WINDOWS = 1
> Private Const VER_PLATFORM_WIN32_NT = 2
>
> '==================================================
>
> Function fOSName() As String
> Dim osvi As OSVERSIONINFO
> Dim strOut As String
> Dim strCSDVersion As String
>
>    osvi.dwOSVersionInfoSize = Len(osvi)
>    If CBool(apiGetVersionEx(osvi)) Then
>        With osvi
>
>            strCSDVersion = fTrimNull(.szCSDVersion)
>            ' Win 2000
>            If .dwPlatformId = VER_PLATFORM_WIN32_NT And _
>                .dwMajorVersion = 5 Then
>                    strOut = "Windows 2000 (Version " & _
>                        .dwMajorVersion & "." & .dwMinorVersion & _
>                        ") Build " & .dwBuildNumber
>                    If (Len(.szCSDVersion)) Then
>                        strOut = strOut & " (" & _
>                                    fTrimNull(.szCSDVersion) & ")"
>                    End If
>            End If
>            ' XP
>            If .dwPlatformId = VER_PLATFORM_WIN32_NT And _
>                .dwMajorVersion = 5 And _
>                .dwMinorVersion = 1 Then
>                    strOut = "Windows XP (Version " & _
>                        .dwMajorVersion & "." & .dwMinorVersion & _
>                        ") Build " & .dwBuildNumber
>                    If (Len(.szCSDVersion)) Then
>                        strOut = strOut & " (" & _
>                                    fTrimNull(.szCSDVersion) & ")"
>                    End If
>            End If
>            ' .Net Server
>            If .dwPlatformId = VER_PLATFORM_WIN32_NT And _
>                .dwMajorVersion = 5 And _
>                .dwMinorVersion = 2 Then
>                    strOut = "Windows .NET Server (Version " & _
>                        .dwMajorVersion & "." & .dwMinorVersion & _
>                        ") Build " & .dwBuildNumber
>                    If (Len(.szCSDVersion)) Then
>                        strOut = strOut & " (" & _
>                                    fTrimNull(.szCSDVersion) & ")"
>                    End If
>            End If
>            ' Win ME
>            If (.dwMajorVersion = 4 And _
>                (.dwPlatformId = VER_PLATFORM_WIN32_WINDOWS And _
>                .dwMinorVersion = 90)) Then
>                    strOut = "Windows Millenium"
>            End If
>            ' Win 98
>            If (.dwMajorVersion = 4 And _
>                (.dwPlatformId = VER_PLATFORM_WIN32_WINDOWS And _
>                .dwMinorVersion = 10)) Then
>                    strOut = "Windows 98"
>            End If
>            ' Win 95
>            If (.dwPlatformId = VER_PLATFORM_WIN32_WINDOWS And _
>                .dwMinorVersion = 0) Then
>                    strOut = "Windows 95"
>            End If
>            ' Win NT
>            If (.dwPlatformId = VER_PLATFORM_WIN32_NT And _
>                .dwMajorVersion <= 4) Then
>                strOut = "Windows NT " & _
>                        .dwMajorVersion & "." & .dwMinorVersion & _
>                        " Build " & .dwBuildNumber
>                If (Len(.szCSDVersion)) Then
>                        strOut = strOut & " (" & _
>                                    fTrimNull(.szCSDVersion) & ")"
>                End If
> '*************************************************************************
>            ' Vista
>            If .dwPlatformId = VER_PLATFORM_WIN32_NT And _
>                .dwMajorVersion = 6 And _
>                .dwMinorVersion = 0 Then
>                    strOut = "Windows Vista (Version " & _
>                        .dwMajorVersion & "." & .dwMinorVersion & _
>                        ") Build " & .dwBuildNumber & strCSDVersion
>                If (Len(strCSDVersion)) Then
>                    strCSDVersion = " (" & strCSDVersion & ")"
>                End If
>            End If
> '*************************************************************************
>            End If
>        End With
>    End If
>    fOSName = strOut
> End Function
>
> '==================================================
>
> Private Function fTrimNull(strIn As String) As String
> Dim intPos As Integer
>    intPos = InStr(1, strIn, vbNullChar)
>    If intPos Then
>        fTrimNull = Mid$(strIn, 1, intPos - 1)
>    Else
>        fTrimNull = strIn
>    End If
> End Function
> '   ********** Code End **********
> '=========================
>
>
> Thanks,
> PC 


0
Douglas
11/29/2007 12:17:15 AM
I also tried this on the On Open form event and there is no response.
Either way there is no error message or information displayed in the
unbound field intended to display the Windows Version.  Is there
another way to use this function to try it?

Thanks,
PC
0
PC
11/29/2007 1:30:22 AM
Open the immediate window (Ctrl-G), type

?fOSName

and hit Enter.

The response should be written right underneath:

?fOSName
Windows XP (Version 5.1) Build 2600 (Service Pack 2)


-- 
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele
(no e-mails, please!)


"PC User" <pc_user@softhome.net> wrote in message 
news:3fb288f2-01a8-4fc1-a40c-2147f3488392@s12g2000prg.googlegroups.com...
>I also tried this on the On Open form event and there is no response.
> Either way there is no error message or information displayed in the
> unbound field intended to display the Windows Version.  Is there
> another way to use this function to try it?
>
> Thanks,
> PC 


0
Douglas
11/29/2007 1:07:41 PM

Ok Doug,
                 I deleted all the unused code for my project, since
the only two operating systems at our company is Windows XP and
Windows Vista.  So now the code works in the immediate window.  I
don't know what the problem with the portion of code that I removed,
but now the code below does work.  Thanks Doug.

?fOSName
Windows Vista (Version 6.0) Build 6000

Code
'=========================
Option Compare Database

' ******** Code Start ********
 'This code was originally written by Dev Ashish.
 'It is not to be altered or distributed,
 'except as part of an application.
 'You are free to use it in any application,
 'provided the copyright notice is left unchanged.
 '
 'Code Courtesy of
 'Dev Ashish
 '

Private Type OSVERSIONINFO
    dwOSVersionInfoSize As Long
    dwMajorVersion As Long
    dwMinorVersion As Long
    dwBuildNumber As Long
    dwPlatformId As Long
    szCSDVersion As String * 128
End Type

Private Declare Function apiGetVersionEx Lib "kernel32" _
    Alias "GetVersionExA" _
    (lpVersionInformation As Any) _
    As Long

Private Const VER_PLATFORM_WIN32_WINDOWS = 1
Private Const VER_PLATFORM_WIN32_NT = 2



Function fOSName() As String
Dim osvi As OSVERSIONINFO
Dim strOut As String
Dim strCSDVersion As String

    osvi.dwOSVersionInfoSize = Len(osvi)
    If CBool(apiGetVersionEx(osvi)) Then
        With osvi

            strCSDVersion = fTrimNull(.szCSDVersion)
            ' XP
<*************************************************************
            If .dwPlatformId = VER_PLATFORM_WIN32_NT And _
                .dwMajorVersion = 5 And _
                .dwMinorVersion = 1 Then
                    strOut = "Windows XP (Version " & _
                        .dwMajorVersion & "." & .dwMinorVersion & _
                        ") Build " & .dwBuildNumber
                If (Len(.szCSDVersion)) Then
                    strOut = strOut & " (" & _
                                fTrimNull(.szCSDVersion) & ")"
                End If
            End If
            ' Vista
<*************************************************************
            If .dwPlatformId = VER_PLATFORM_WIN32_NT And _
                .dwMajorVersion = 6 And _
                .dwMinorVersion = 0 Then
                    strOut = "Windows Vista (Version " & _
                        .dwMajorVersion & "." & .dwMinorVersion & _
                        ") Build " & .dwBuildNumber & strCSDVersion
                If (Len(strCSDVersion)) Then
                    strCSDVersion = " (" & strCSDVersion & ")"
                End If
            End If

        End With
    End If
    fOSName = strOut
End Function


Private Function fTrimNull(strIn As String) As String
Dim intPos As Integer
    intPos = InStr(1, strIn, vbNullChar)
    If intPos Then
        fTrimNull = Mid$(strIn, 1, intPos - 1)
    Else
        fTrimNull = strIn
    End If
End Function
'   ********** Code End **********
0
PC
11/29/2007 3:17:23 PM
My purpose in trying to detect the current OS is to change the links
to the reference libraries that differ between Access 2000 and Access
2007.  When I think of it, maybe I should be detecting which version
of Access that I'm using instead of which OS?  Is there a way to do
this and use the results for Access to programmically change
references?

Thanks,
PC

0
PC
11/29/2007 3:51:50 PM
"PC User" <pc_user@softhome.net> wrote in message 
news:28e3047e-b869-484b-945a-8cdf81ec6d88@d21g2000prf.googlegroups.com...
> My purpose in trying to detect the current OS is to change the links
> to the reference libraries that differ between Access 2000 and Access
> 2007.  When I think of it, maybe I should be detecting which version
> of Access that I'm using instead of which OS?  Is there a way to do
> this and use the results for Access to programmically change
> references?
>
> Thanks,
> PC
>

Application.Version will return a string with the version number (e.g. 11.0 
for Access 2003). 


0
Ron
11/29/2007 5:20:23 PM
The OS shouldn't matter: usually it's only the version of Access that 
matters unless you're using OS-dependent ActiveX controls.

But what references are you trying to change? It's seldom necessary (nor a 
good idea). Use late binding as much as you can. If you are going to change 
references, make sure you read what MichKa's got at 
http://www.trigeminal.com/usenet/usenet026.asp

-- 
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele
(no e-mails, please!)


"PC User" <pc_user@softhome.net> wrote in message 
news:28e3047e-b869-484b-945a-8cdf81ec6d88@d21g2000prf.googlegroups.com...
> My purpose in trying to detect the current OS is to change the links
> to the reference libraries that differ between Access 2000 and Access
> 2007.  When I think of it, maybe I should be detecting which version
> of Access that I'm using instead of which OS?  Is there a way to do
> this and use the results for Access to programmically change
> references?
>
> Thanks,
> PC
> 


0
Douglas
11/29/2007 5:54:46 PM
Doug,

       I have Vista and Office 2007 on my computer and our temp worker
has XP and Office 2000 on his.  We share the backend of a database,
but when ever I upgrade the programming in the database I give him a
copy.  There are references the database uses that it has trouble
finding when I give him a copy of the database (in compatible mode)
that I've upgraded while using Office 2007.  References that the
database seems to have trouble locating are as follows.
=======================================
Office 2000 references
Microsoft Excel 9.0 Object Library
Microsoft Common Dialog Control 6.0 (SP)
Microsoft Windows Common Control 6.0 (SP)


Office 2007 references
Microsoft Excel 12.0 Object Library
=======================================
Everytime I give him an upgrade, I have to reset the references.
Since I'm not a professional programmer, I'm developing the database
as I'm also being productive on my main projects.  The database when
completed, is intended to automate a number of parts of my project and
will help to expedite reports that have previously involved manualling
filling in the forms made on MS Word documents.  Switching between MS
Office versions and resetting the references is a bit of a nuisance
and I'd like to automate it.  Hopefully, my company will upgrade the
remaining computers to Vista and Office 2007 and I won't have to do
this.

Thanks,
PC















0
PC
11/30/2007 2:55:01 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

How to detect changes in a column?
If I have a table with sales forecast data (columns) like Customer, Amount and Status, what would be the best way to track changes in this table so I can compare my forecast week after week? -- inomata ------------------------------------------------------------------------ inomata's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=18938 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=493571 ...

MultiWorkbook Change Event Detection / Spell Checker
Excel 2003 or 2007. Looking to be able to force spell checking whenever any cell content is is changed. I've been successful on a single workbooks by adding Spell Check execution on Worksheet_Change. I'm hoping to take this one step further - make it an 'Add-In' so the check will run for any workbook. It looks like the Worksheet_Change event only triggers for the host workbook so an 'Add-in' will not do the job. Any suggestions to force spell checking on a change for any workbook/worksheet I modifiy? TIA, - Pat The way I would go about this i...

Vista file dialogs
In spite of the fact that I have told Vista to never, ever hide the extensions of any file, when using VS2005 under Vista I clicked on the "Add Existing" and was given a list of filenames in the source directory, none of which had their extensions visible. What did I miss, or am I just seeing some terminal brain damage by Microsoft (again!)? I think Microsoft needs to get the message that when users start viewing systems with the attitude "I wonder what they screwed up THIS time" they are in a death spiral. joe Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP] email: newcomer@flounder.com ...

A2007 problem on Vista multiuser DB
Hi, I have a A2007 application (ported from A97) running on Vista and Office 2007 Pro. I use two computers in a LAN. The application itself is devided into two DBs (program and data). I have installed the program-DB on both machines and the data-DB on one (server) of them. The same configuration worked well on the former systems (XP pro and A97). Now there come up the following symptoms: Starting the application on the server workes fine. But when starting the application on the client (when on the server its still open (and at least one data bounded form is open) I cannot open any databo...

Money 2007 Deluxe and Vista (Beta 2)
After having significant problems trying to get Money 2006 to run properly in Vista, I decided to upgrade to 2007 yesterday. Now I can't get the install program to run. After a successful download, the installer fires off and imediately returns the message: "This program has been damaged, possibly by a bad sector of the hard drive or a virus. Please re-install it." I'm sure that the hard drive is fine and there isn't a virus. Any suggestions? I saw elsewhere a suggestion to try XP SP2 compatibility mode. That doesn't seem to work either. Thanks! TC I...

Forms, tables, etc. open in separate windows, accessible from the MS Vista taskbar
Dear All How can I set Access 2007 up in order to have the windows (forms, tables, etc.) open in separate windows, accessible from the MS Vista taskbar? In short, I would like to have Access 2007 behaving likewise Access 2003, regarding opening windows. Thanks in advance, Paul Hi Paul, I don't believe this capability exists in Access 2007. You can have the objects open in separate windows within the object workspace by doing this: - Click the Office button - Click Access Options (bottom left corner) - Click Current Database category - Under the Application Options section for the r...

Word 2000 / Vista
Hi. Folks. Whilst I realise that this has been disscused before I would like some further info. I wish to install a brand new / never been installed before OEM version of Word 2000 on a Vista machine. Will it work !? I have seen some some old posts that say yes and some with links for compatibility advise but these are very old posts and the links do not work anymore. Your help is and always has been very much appreciated. Looking forward to your answer in anticipation <-><-><-><-> Big Rick It should work, but it would not be legal. -- Hop...

detect and repair
my outlook 2002 had some hyperlink problems which were corrected when i used the 'detect and repair' option in help. now i have lost my addresses and all the e-mail that was in my inbox. How do i recover these items? Check this page for all you need to know: http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm -- Aloha, -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, OneNote-MVP http://home.hawaii.rr.com/schorr **I apologize but I am unable to respond to direct requests for assistance. Please post questions and replies here in the newsgroup. Mahalo! "Mark Conner" <mdconner@prodigy.net> wrote ...

Duplicate detection detecting inactive records?
Is there any way to configure duplicate detection to not look at inactive records? I can't find any way to set this on the rules. Thank you! ...

Microsoft Office 2000 and Microsoft Vista
I have Office 2000 and cannot seem to install the Service packs for it. I am running Windows Vista Ultimate service pack 2 on the machine. Are the Microsoft Office service packs compatable with Windows Vista? Thanks Kevin You gave yourself permission to do this? Kevin wrote: > I have Office 2000 and cannot seem to install the Service packs for it. I am > running Windows Vista Ultimate service pack 2 on the machine. Are the > Microsoft Office service packs compatable with Windows Vista? > > Thanks > Kevin > These are the errors generated ...

How to Detect and prevent CD burn
HI, How can i stop to CD burn of any file from my system to CD.How to detect the event of CD burn and how can i stop CD burn.Basically i want to secure my file from CD burn. plz reply soon. regds vinay sheel vinays@aditi.com Vinay wrote: > HI, > How can i stop to CD burn of any file from my system to CD.How to detect the > event of CD burn and how can i stop CD burn.Basically i want to secure my > file from CD burn. You can restrict access to a file only to a certain users through NT/win200 access privileges. You can encrypt a file and therefore restrict access to a file on...

LoadLibrary() fails in vista but works fine on XP
Hello, I'm surprised no one really encountered the exact problem that I've now. I've the VC++ code that works fine on XP but simply hangs up in Vista SP1. Here is the snippet. HINSTANCE hInst = NULL; // hInst = LoadLibrary("ThirdParty.dll"); I'm clueless. Thank you. Install third party dll on vista machine. :o) Then again maybe the third party dll is looking for a dll that is not installed on the vista machine. AliR. "KK" <pedagani@gmail.com> wrote in message news:0487c86a-57f5-480b-ad93-90a723868eab@n1g2000prb.googlegroups.com... > Hell...

My Computer not detecting my external harddrive
I have a IDE hard drive with USB casing and connected to my USB port. The problem is the hard drive partitions are not shown up in My computer. But My Computer->Manage->Storage->Disk management shows the hard drive with 3 partitions and all the three are healthy.I know there are a few bad sectors. I am sure I have not made any changes in registry that prevents drives from being shown. Please help me. Do the partitions have drive letters assigned? karthikaravind wrote: > I have a IDE hard drive with USB casing and connected to my USB port. > The problem is the ha...

Troubles with CRM client for Vista/Office 2007 german
Hi, I've tried to install the german CRM client on my Vista and Office 2007 Laptop. The install ends with the same error message like yours. You had posted this at the end of December´┐Ż, since 01/05/07 is there a new english download available. Is this a new version, are there any errors again? Thanks for your support! Bye Mirko EggHeadCafe.com - .NET Developer Portal of Choice http://www.eggheadcafe.com Hi, i'm having the same problem with the latest client (dl'd it today) Any workarounds ? EggHeadCafe.com - .NET Developer Portal of Choice http://www.eggheadcafe.com ...

GUID is not detected by server .& cannot go offline...SFO.
why is the server not detecting the GUID attached to the subject line of email...what could be the problem... Also i am not able to go offline ..I get an error Domain canot be contacted or does not exist... Any sugestions... Thanks a million. ...

open a new instance of excel for each file ? (Vista / Seven)
Hi people, How under Vista & Win7 can we open a new instance of excel for each file ? thx a lot people. ...

Mic not detected
I upgraded from Vista to W7 when it first came out. I have just recently realized that it apparently cut off the mic and I cannot record anything. I can still hear cd's.etc. I did not discover this until I tried to send a video message to my son who just got deployed to Iraq. Dell customer support has been useless thus far. Thanks for any suggestions as to how to fix this problem. On May 17, 11:51=A0am, "andy jones" <jandy78...@aol.com> wrote: > I upgraded from Vista to W7 when it first came out. I have just recently > realized that it apparently cut...

Record is locked (deadlock was detected)
when trying to run a CM Transaction I get "A get/change next operation on table 'CM_Transaction' deadlock was detected. when I click on more details i am given the following. [microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server] Transaction (process ID 77) was deadlocked on thread | communication buffer resources with another process and has been chosen as the deadlock victim. Return the transaction. currently I have ensured that no one is logged in. I view the odb.dex_lock table in the tempDB and cleared it. At this point I can run a reconciliation with no errors where I ...

WMP 11.0.6002.18111 runing OS Vista 32
I have alwayed used WMP to play my MPEG2 files which have on my computer awaiting DVD production. I tried to load Roxie Easy Media Creator Suite 9 onto my computer to give my another avenue of DVD creation. After reboot I was informed by the computer that it had blocked a driver trying to load from Sonic MY DVD which was interfering with WMP. Realizing there was going to be a compatability error I removed Roxie Suite and then went to play my MPEG files to be certain no harm was done. WMP now refuses to play the MPEG files and gives an error code "C00D11B1". How can...

Microsoft CRM does not work with Vista and Office 2007 Offline
We are using a trial version on Microsoft CRM. Our operating system is Vista-32 and we are using Office 2007. Our laptops get synchronization error messages whenever we try to use the laptops offline. Our Microsoft reseller has opened a case with Microsoft but we need this to function offline now. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microso...

Money Plus with Vista
I am a Quicken 2007 user. I have a new computer with Vista. Quicken and Vista do not play well together, therefore, I am inquiring about Vista and Money Plus. Any compatibility issues? Also, I notice (on the Money website) that the Quicken converter only works through Quicken 2006. Any one have any further info on that. Thank you. -- Mary In microsoft.public.money, SE Louisiana wrote: >I am a Quicken 2007 user. I have a new computer with Vista. Quicken and >Vista do not play well together, therefore, I am inquiring about Vista and >Money Plus. Any compatibility issu...

Cannot detect previous login you need to run frontstep crm at least once
We have a user who was on extended leave for a few months and now when ever he opens up outlook 2000 sr-1 on his computer (Windows 98se) he gets a message that "Cannot detect previous login you need to run frontstep crm at least once. Front step outlook extension will be disabled for current outlook session." When I say OK you get another message that "The add-in "psExcExt.dll" could not be installed or loaded. This problem may be resolved by useing detect and repair in the help menu. Unable to load "psExcExt.dll" you may be out of memory or out ...

Where does Vista hide my docs/settings when taking drive out of computer??
Hi guys, I think Vista does some weird complicated thing with user data - today a tech installed Win 7 on a new hard drive and gave me my old hard drive to transfer stuff across. I've got it plugged in to my USB port. I can find all my old program files, etc, but all of my docs and settings are gone. There is no directory called Users/Jo (which was the address on my old vista machine). Last time I had to reinstall Windows the tech had to install the old drive on a particular machine to get my data off - we thought that was because Vista SP1 crashed and destroyed the mach...

detecting which control has focus
I have an application that I am writing and I need to be able to detect which control has focus (I am using edit controls). I figured out how to set the focus by creating a member control variable and using the setfocus() function, but how do detect which control has focus? There is a getfocus() in the control member variable, but I have been unsuccessful in using it? I am using the PreTranslateMessage(MSG* pMsg) function to detect when the Return key is pressed and then I automatically go the the next edit control, but I want to do different code depending on which Edit control has focus a...

Search facility in Vista
Why is it that if I put a 2 or 3 string phrase in the Visdta search facility I get hundereds and hundreds of search results, most of which couldn't possibly have the words in them? (i.e. I don't find it much help) It was OK in WindowsXP, it got f-d up in Vista, sorry. Best solution is: www.mythicsoft.com Their AgentRansack is free, and FileLocatorPro is $40 or something. FileLocatorPro will find strings within ANY file and is used by FBI, CIA, UPS, large transportation/shipping hubs, large data mining companies, etc. Again, WindowsXP had enough of own ability to s...