Design View vs Form View

In Access 2007, I have a graph in Design View which shows differently in Form
View. In other words, the information that is plotted in the graph shows
differently in the two views. Why is this?

Thank you,

Bill
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Bill,
    Your probably saying the design data displays an earlier design results,
but the form view graph data is correct.
    The graphs have acted that way for the past Access versions as well.
I think the Graphing in Access is borrowed from Excel, and does not update
in design view as it should.

    One way around that, is to run the query behind the graph in design
view, and copy and paste the query results into the graph's associated excel
spread sheet.
    That will "smack the graph up side the head", and get the latest values
show in design... as well as form view.
--
    hth
    Al Campagna

"Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In Access 2007, I have a graph in Design View which shows differently in
> Form
> View. In other words, the information that is plotted in the graph shows
> differently in the two views. Why is this?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Bill

0
Al
5/16/2010 3:31:00 AM
Al:

You are correct in your assessment of what is happening with showing old
data in design view and current data in form view.

Could you please be more specific in what I should do to correct the
problem. May be a step by step solution.

Thanks,

Bill

"Al Campagna" wrote:

> Bill,
>     Your probably saying the design data displays an earlier design results,
> but the form view graph data is correct.
>     The graphs have acted that way for the past Access versions as well.
> I think the Graphing in Access is borrowed from Excel, and does not update
> in design view as it should.
>
>     One way around that, is to run the query behind the graph in design
> view, and copy and paste the query results into the graph's associated excel
> spread sheet.
>     That will "smack the graph up side the head", and get the latest values
> show in design... as well as form view.
> --
>     hth
>     Al Campagna
>     Microsoft Access MVP 2007-2009
>     http://home.comcast.net/~cccsolutions/index.html
>
>     "Find a job that you love... and you'll never work a day in your life."
>

> "Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > In Access 2007, I have a graph in Design View which shows differently in
> > Form
> > View. In other words, the information that is plotted in the graph shows
> > differently in the two views. Why is this?
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > Bill
>

> .

This behavior has been around since graphing was first introduced in Access
and no one has ever considered it to be worthy of trying to change. I don't
understand why you consider this to be a problem. Once built, forms and
reports should never be viewed in Design View at all. Some of Access's file
formats make it impossible to view a form or report in Design View.
--
Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
http://www.datastrat.com

> Al:
>
> You are correct in your assessment of what is happening with showing old
> data in design view and current data in form view.
>
> Could you please be more specific in what I should do to correct the
> problem. May be a step by step solution.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bill
>

> "Al Campagna" wrote:
>
>> Bill,
>>     Your probably saying the design data displays an earlier design
>> results,
>> but the form view graph data is correct.
>>     The graphs have acted that way for the past Access versions as well.
>> I think the Graphing in Access is borrowed from Excel, and does not
>> update
>> in design view as it should.
>>
>>     One way around that, is to run the query behind the graph in design
>> view, and copy and paste the query results into the graph's associated
>> excel
>> spread sheet.
>>     That will "smack the graph up side the head", and get the latest
>> values
>> show in design... as well as form view.
>> --
>>     hth
>>     Al Campagna
>>     Microsoft Access MVP 2007-2009
>>     http://home.comcast.net/~cccsolutions/index.html
>>
>>     "Find a job that you love... and you'll never work a day in your
>> life."
>>

>> "Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > In Access 2007, I have a graph in Design View which shows differently
>> > in
>> > Form
>> > View. In other words, the information that is plotted in the graph
>> > shows
>> > differently in the two views. Why is this?
>> >
>> > Thank you,
>> >
>> > Bill
>>

>> .

0
Arvin
5/16/2010 12:09:53 PM
Bill,
    As Arvin Meyer pointed out in his post, what a graph displays in
design mode is not really a problem, as long as it displays correctly
in form view.

    However...
    Go into Design View for the chart.
    Bring up the design grid for the query that is your RowSource for the
chart.
    Run that query from the design grid.
    Copy the resulting grid/datasheet of records returned.
    Paste those records into the spreadsheet associated with the chart
design.
    Your design values and view values should now be in sync.

    Be aware however, that they may not stay in sych, when the "design" data
changes.
    I wouldn't worry about it until the graph was all nailed down, and then
sync... just
for appearance sake...
--
    hth
    Al Campagna
    Microsoft Access MVP 2007-2009

"Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Al:
>
> You are correct in your assessment of what is happening with showing old
> data in design view and current data in form view.
>
> Could you please be more specific in what I should do to correct the
> problem. May be a step by step solution.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bill
>

> "Al Campagna" wrote:
>
>> Bill,
>>     Your probably saying the design data displays an earlier design
>> results,
>> but the form view graph data is correct.
>>     The graphs have acted that way for the past Access versions as well.
>> I think the Graphing in Access is borrowed from Excel, and does not
>> update
>> in design view as it should.
>>
>>     One way around that, is to run the query behind the graph in design
>> view, and copy and paste the query results into the graph's associated
>> excel
>> spread sheet.
>>     That will "smack the graph up side the head", and get the latest
>> values
>> show in design... as well as form view.
>> --
>>     hth
>>     Al Campagna
>>     Microsoft Access MVP 2007-2009
>>     http://home.comcast.net/~cccsolutions/index.html
>>
>>     "Find a job that you love... and you'll never work a day in your
>> life."
>>

>> "Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > In Access 2007, I have a graph in Design View which shows differently
>> > in
>> > Form
>> > View. In other words, the information that is plotted in the graph
>> > shows
>> > differently in the two views. Why is this?
>> >
>> > Thank you,
>> >
>> > Bill
>>

>> .

0
Al
5/16/2010 5:33:02 PM
Bill,

> Could you please be more specific in what I should do to correct the
> problem.

The behavior you are seeing is by design. See this article:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access/HP051887151033.aspx

Click on the "+" sign next to this topic:

+ I see sample data instead of my data after creating a chart.

In form or report Design view, the chart shows sample data when you first
create it. To see current data, switch to Form view or Print Preview, or
close the form or report and then open it.

Read Al's answer again. He showed you how to update the values. However, you
would need to go through this manual process each and every time you need to
see the most current data in design view.

Tom Wickerath
Microsoft Access MVP
http://www.accessmvp.com/TWickerath/

"Al Campagna" wrote:

Bill,
    Your probably saying the design data displays an earlier design results,
but the form view graph data is correct.
    The graphs have acted that way for the past Access versions as well.
I think the Graphing in Access is borrowed from Excel, and does not update
in design view as it should.

    One way around that, is to run the query behind the graph in design
view, and copy and paste the query results into the graph's associated excel
spread sheet.
    That will "smack the graph up side the head", and get the latest values
to show in design... as well as form view.
--
    hth
    Al Campagna
    Microsoft Access MVP 2007-2009

"Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

In Access 2007, I have a graph in Design View which shows differently in Form
View. In other words, the information that is plotted in the graph shows
differently in the two views. Why is this?

Thank you,

Bill

Freeware to reset windows folder views from view->icons to view->details
About once a day I have to reset my Windows XP SP3 explorer view from "View -> Icons" bacl to "View -> Details" where I just wish it would stay put. To make all folders open up similarly, almost daily I then have to hit: Tools -> Folder Options -> View -> Apply to All Folders -> Yes -> OK I have no idea WHAT is changing my folders from view->details to view->icons (I'm the only user of the computer) but I wonder if there is freeware that will automatically reset the Windows Explorer Folder View options more quickly? Do you know o...

how do i change to the new design in outlook 2007
Outlook 2007 is installed on my computer but everytime I open the program the old design is what I see. > Outlook 2007 is installed on my computer but everytime I open the > program the old design is what I see. The Ribbon is only available in new message/appointment/task windows, not to the main Outlook window. -- f.h. Microsoft Outlook MVP ...

Excel 2000... Missing row and column designators. #4

design templates
Once I download a new design template (Letterhead), how do I make it available to all new documents. Currently, I can use the new template for one document. However, when I import any data, it disappears. Then, when I go to choose a publication design, the template is not available. How can I make new/downloaded design templates available from the publication designs window? Are you asking about those from the Office web site? Once the download is complete, save as... -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Char...

Switching to design mode causes VS 2008 to freeze.
When I'm working on a web project and switch a page from source to design mode, VS hangs. Anybody have any thoughts? This doesn't appear to project specific - just that's it's a web page (.aspx) when it happens. TIA - Jeff. ...

Can I save a view setting?
Hi, I posted this question in another group but didn't receive any answers and just wanted to check here to see if anyone knew. I'm using Outlook 2003 and am having trouble trying to set the views of the folders globally. Is there a way to save a view that I like, for example in my In Box, and then create that same view for all the folders or does this have to be done individually? Thanks Mike I dont think it is possible to acheive what you are trying to do. -- Hope this helps!!! Best Regards Sudharson AN "Mike G." <wet@dog.com> wrote in message news...

Deluxe vs Premium
Does anyone know what the functional differences are between Deluxe & Premium? Are there any? In other words, if you ignore ALL of the limited subscription services that they list (i.e., gainskeeper, payco yada yada...) are the Deluxe and Premium identical in there capabilites? In microsoft.public.money, Claus DuBois wrote: >Does anyone know what the functional differences are between Deluxe & >Premium? Are there any? > >In other words, if you ignore ALL of the limited subscription services that >they list (i.e., gainskeeper, payco yada yada...) are the Deluxe ...

CRM Web client fails on Lead: Forms and Views
I have installed Microsoft CRM 3.0 on a windows 2k3 with the latest service packs and updates, SQL is 2005 and it is also up to date. The system has Sharepoint working fine on SSL, I had a couple of problems during installation so I had to reinstall the CRM a couple of times for it to be installed and working properly, but it now seems ok, users can connect to the server with outlook and with the web browser, but, there is an error while using the web browser: Everytime I go to Settings, Customization, lead, I can add some attributes and it seems to be ok, until I click the Forms and V...

Design specifications and guidelines
A small question. Where can i find the Design Specifications and Guidelines - Visual Design. Spacing: How many DLUs should there between 2 group boxes (vertically arranged) in a Dialog box? best regards bav In theory, as many as you want, but in practice, only as many as you use. Since Microsoft has abandoned any attempt to maintan GUI guidelines within their own products, there is very little reason to be too wound up about this kind of trivia (I have largely ignored most of it. Build a dialog box that looks good, and nobody is going to be counting pixels). For group boxes, you can...

Problem arranging controls on form
I have a pretty complex form with lots of controls. The controls at the top of the form are positioned inside three rectangles. At the bottom of the form is a tab control. In design view, there is about an eight of an inch vertical space between each rectange and between the bottom rectangle and the top of the tab control. However in form view the tab control overlays the bottom quarter inch of the bottom rectangle. I've fiddled with this for ages and cannot get a separation between the bottom rectangle and the top of the tab control. This is driving me crazy. Any ideas what could c...

Cascade current view to sub-folders
Hi, Is there any way I can set a custom View setting to a set of folders (e.g. set a view setting for a high-level folder and then have it cascade to all sub-folders)? By a custom View I mean the way that items in a folder shoud look - i.e. font settings and the like. Cheers, Stu ...

CTestDoc* GetDocument() errors in view class
I am getting these errors in my view header: error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before '*' error C2501: CTestDoc: missing storage-class or type specifiers error C2501: 'GetDocument' : missing storage-class or type specifiers for this statement: CTestDoc* GetDocument(); Currently, I am using class CTestDoc; earlier in the file to satisfy the need. Can I get some help on this? Much appreciated! At the top of your .cpp file put: #include "TestDoc.h" Or whatever the name of your file is. KS "Steve Russell" <srussell@innernet.net&g...

Adding a new field to a form in Access 2002
Hi I am building my first Access database. I am doing ok so far but I added a new field to a table and I want to view that field in an existing form (well, subform actually) without having to recreate the form and all the design changes I have made (positioning of boxes etc.) Is this possible in Access 2002? Or should do I have to create the form all over again? -- Mick You should be able to open the form in design mode and add the new field to the form especially if the form is directly linked to the table. If you have a query as the record source, you may need to add t...

Formula View
When in the Formula View ( by clicking Ctrl `), how can I format the cells to wrap text so I can see and print all formulae in my spreadsheet. Hi AFAIK this is not possible -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany tkanasoot@yahoo.com wrote: > When in the Formula View ( by clicking Ctrl `), how can I format the > cells to wrap text so I can see and print all formulae in my > spreadsheet. Maybe you can use a helper worksheet and a UserDefinedFunction: Option Explicit Function getFormula(rng As Range) With rng(1) If .HasFormula Then getFormula = .Formu...

Add CompanyName to Opportunities Form
The opportunity form does not allow me to add the CompanyName of the lead. Neither does the Contact Form. This seems a little restrictive. Any advise on a workaround would be greatly appreciated. Thanks - Mitch use deployment manager to create a mapping from lead to opportunity to bring over the company name -- John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.mscrmfaq.us "Mitch" <Mitch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7423C9B9-2476-4296-8314-EEF7928D4ED2@microsoft.com... > The opportunity form does not allow me to add the CompanyName of the lead. >...

Using decisions in Access design
Hi all, I want to set up an introductory page for an Access 2007 project. On this page would be some instructions and links to different pages with the usual form entries. Each of these pages would be different enough to warrant their own page and fields, but there would be similarities between all pages that need to keep them in the same database. Example: I have that introductory page with instructions and links to eight new pages. Fields 1-3 on each of the eight pages would contain identical types of information (Name, URL, and Password). These would have the same fiel...

Viewing Macro..
Is there a way to view a VBS macro without running it? Someone sent me a macro, but I don't know that it can be trusted. I do want to run it, I did scan it with Norton and it found nothing, but Excel warns me against opening it. Hi, Unless its protected, you can press Alt+F8, select it from the list and click Edit. Of course if you don't know VBA, you probably won't know if its safe or not. Of course you could post the code to the newgroup. You first line of defense is to consider the source, do you trust the person who sent you the file? -- If this helps, please c...

Hide Weekend in Month View
I only want to see M-F on the month view of my calendar. Can this be done? ...

Forms slow with SQL back end
I moved all of my tables in access to our SQL server. Ever since then my forms that have subforms hve been very slow. Should I move everything back into access? Start by checking indexes instead Are the subdata tables indexed on the link field(s)? Pieter "Rod" <Rod@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:48CAD136-2236-45B7-B572-A12AA61C43D2@microsoft.com... >I moved all of my tables in access to our SQL server. Ever since then my > forms that have subforms hve been very slow. Should I move everything back > into access? The form is a vehicle form an...

Design
Hello, I have been working through serveral lessons within a workbook course but the problem that I am having is when I want to setup my own spreadsheet outside of the workbook I have problems with doing that. What type of approach should I take with designing a spreadsheet. Kelly I think that would depend on what it would be used for , Inventory, calculating values such as Cpk, Ppk, Stdev.... Sales report... they all have their own needs as to how you would design your spreadsheet, so that it suits the best of your needs. "Jessica@aol.com" wrote: > Hello, > > I...

Customisation of Avticity View
Hi, I have users that are becoming frustrated with the Activity View not including the Data of the activity. If this was one of the columns, then the list could be sorted in date sequence. Seems a reasonable thing to do (view Activities in the sequence they occured!). I have had a look at the customisation facilities but it doesn't seem to allow for the customisation of 'Activities'. I only get the option to customise Leads, Opportunities, Accounts, Contacts, and Addresses..... seems to be I'm missing Activities? Is there anyway I can customise the Activity View to inc...

Worksheet/Workbook Views
The worksheet I am working on at the moment won't let me minimise or maximise the workbook and therefore I cannot tab my worksheets to move sheets. Please help. Hi try tools / protection / unprotect workbook Cheers JulieD "SKC" <SKC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:31A7AD35-3E77-4A25-B24A-AD04D0B35201@microsoft.com... > The worksheet I am working on at the moment won't let me minimise or > maximise > the workbook and therefore I cannot tab my worksheets to move sheets. > Please > help. ...

Viewing Publisher document changed to .pdf
I received a Publisher file, which has been converted to Adobe .pdf. I can get in to it and view, but cannot change. I tried to download a free trial, but since MS Office was on my new computer with a now-expired 60 day period, I couldn't download the trial. Is there any way I can get in to make the necessary changes as a .pdf file, as I can't seem to go in and save it any other way, since it's author protected. Linda There isn't anyway you can edit your PDF as a Publisher document if you don't have Publisher. You can extract the contents and maybe edit the results ...

Bug or By Design?
Hi, I recently had a problem with one of my XPath expressions which led me to believe there might be a bug in XmlNode, although it could be by design since I didn't find anything in the KB. Consider the the code appended below. The function CleanEmptyElements removes all empty elements from the document using a XPath expression. As you will notice in the code, I add two empty elements. If you check the resulting testXml.xml file, the "SpecialEmptyElement" element, though emtpy is still present. The only special thing about it is that I assign a null string to the InnerT...

accde
Hi, I have some VBA that modifies a report's design. However, the code throws an exception on this line: DoCmd.OpenReport rpt_name, acViewDesign I understand the reason why, so here's my question: Q) How can my VBA code modify a report in an accde file? Thanks On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 22:26:01 -0800, Andy <Andy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Q) How can my VBA code modify a report in an accde file? It can't. You must use an accdb. -- John W. Vinson [MVP] Hello, I have the same problem... and I create several reports... ...