design query match anywhere?

In the design query I want to match the letters "ABC" anywhere in the
column 'description'. I could not get instr to work by using:
InStr(description, "ABC")) > 0

How else can I match ABC (upper and lowercase) to anywhere in my
'description' column?
Thanks!

0
Nooby
5/24/2007 5:51:16 PM
access 16762 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Are you saying you put that InStr bit as a criteria under your Description
field in the query designer? Try putting

    Like "*ABC*"

as the criteria instead.

Alternatively, you could add a computed field to the query

    InStr([Description, "ABC")

and then put >0 as the criteria for that field.

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

"Nooby" <stwilson@writeme.com> wrote in message
> In the design query I want to match the letters "ABC" anywhere in the
> column 'description'. I could not get instr to work by using:
> InStr(description, "ABC")) > 0
>
> How else can I match ABC (upper and lowercase) to anywhere in my
> 'description' column?
> Thanks!

0
Douglas
5/24/2007 6:32:19 PM
On May 24, 2:32 pm, "Douglas J. Steele"
<NOSPAM_djsteele@NOSPAM_canada.com> wrote:
> Are you saying you put that InStr bit as a criteria under your Description
> field in the query designer? Try putting
>
>     Like "*ABC*"
>
> as the criteria instead.
>
> Alternatively, you could add a computed field to the query
>
>     InStr([Description, "ABC")
>
> and then put >0 as the criteria for that field.
>
> --
> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVPhttp://I.Am/DougSteele
> (no e-mails, please!)
>
> "Nooby" <stwil...@writeme.com> wrote in message

> > In the design query I want to match the letters "ABC" anywhere in the
> > column 'description'. I could not get instr to work by using:
> > InStr(description, "ABC")) > 0
>
> > How else can I match ABC (upper and lowercase) to anywhere in my
> > 'description' column?
> > Thanks!- Hide quoted text -

Excellent. Now I realize why the design wizard kept moving the Instr
to the top of the next column. I did not understand that. Thanks! Sam

0
Nooby

design templates
Once I download a new design template (Letterhead), how do I make it available to all new documents. Currently, I can use the new template for one document. However, when I import any data, it disappears. Then, when I go to choose a publication design, the template is not available. How can I make new/downloaded design templates available from the publication designs window? Are you asking about those from the Office web site? Once the download is complete, save as... -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Char...

two access table in one query
i design a report with access database i prepare a query with two table without joinning but the query return data more than one time Please solve my problem as soon as possible =?Utf-8?B?QWhtZWQgU2FsZWVt?= wrote: > > i design a report with access database i prepare a query with two table > without joinning but the query return data more than one time > > Please solve my problem as soon as possible If you don't join or cannot join the tables, a query will return any combination of records in your tables. So if table 1 as 10 records and table 2 has 5, th...

Referencing Dates with the MATCH formula
I am finding the MATCH formula to be a little unpredictable when used with dates: Sometimes it works as I would expect. For example: A Date, Mar-08,Feb-08,Jan-08 This post looks a tad incomplete. -- --- HTH Bob (there's no email, no snail mail, but somewhere should be gmail in my addy) "Harry Flashman" <flashdavies@gmail.com> wrote in message news:11a04efc-48df-4ed3-b7df-60d1f3887009@b1g2000hsg.googlegroups.com... >I am finding the MATCH formula to be a little unpredictable when used > with dates: > > Sometimes it works as I would expect. For example:...

Excel 2000... Missing row and column designators. #4

how do i change to the new design in outlook 2007
Outlook 2007 is installed on my computer but everytime I open the program the old design is what I see. > Outlook 2007 is installed on my computer but everytime I open the > program the old design is what I see. The Ribbon is only available in new message/appointment/task windows, not to the main Outlook window. -- f.h. Microsoft Outlook MVP ...

update query help 08-26-10
ear All i have following DDL and sample data [sql 2000] create table main_tab (t_id varchar(10),fname varchar(30), lname varchar(30), gender char(1),status smallint) create table im_tab (t_id varchar(10),flag char(1)) insert into main_tab values('a0101','Ali','Hussain','M',null) insert into main_tab values('a0102','Noor','Inam',null) insert into main_tab values('a0103','Siddique','Hussain','M',null) insert into main_tab values('a0104','Farooq','Ali','M'...

Switching to design mode causes VS 2008 to freeze.
When I'm working on a web project and switch a page from source to design mode, VS hangs. Anybody have any thoughts? This doesn't appear to project specific - just that's it's a web page (.aspx) when it happens. TIA - Jeff. ...

Design specifications and guidelines
A small question. Where can i find the Design Specifications and Guidelines - Visual Design. Spacing: How many DLUs should there between 2 group boxes (vertically arranged) in a Dialog box? best regards bav In theory, as many as you want, but in practice, only as many as you use. Since Microsoft has abandoned any attempt to maintan GUI guidelines within their own products, there is very little reason to be too wound up about this kind of trivia (I have largely ignored most of it. Build a dialog box that looks good, and nobody is going to be counting pixels). For group boxes, you can...

how to combine IIf statement in query
I wish to performed some calculation if the condition meet. If there is more than one iif statement to be include, how can i combine together? for example: Minutes: IIf([start]>DateAdd("d",-1,[forms]![datedaily1]![date] And [end]<[forms]![datedaily1]![date]),DateDiff("n",[start],[end])) Minutes: IIf([start]<DateAdd("d",-1,[forms]![datedaily1]![date] And [end]<[forms]![datedaily1]![date]),DateDiff("n",DateAdd("d",-1,[forms]! [datedaily1]![date]),[end])) how can i combine this two statement in one field in the query? IIF() state...

Using decisions in Access design
Hi all, I want to set up an introductory page for an Access 2007 project. On this page would be some instructions and links to different pages with the usual form entries. Each of these pages would be different enough to warrant their own page and fields, but there would be similarities between all pages that need to keep them in the same database. Example: I have that introductory page with instructions and links to eight new pages. Fields 1-3 on each of the eight pages would contain identical types of information (Name, URL, and Password). These would have the same fiel...

Using excel to select only matching images...
We have an online storefront. Our products are all in an excel spreadsheet, arranged by part number. I have about 30,000 images of products. I only want to select about 15,000 images of these 30,000 images. How do I select out of my image folder (containing 30,000 images) only the 15,000 images I need (that actually match the 15,000 products in our excel product listing)? All images and products are arranged via their " part number ". My product listing is in (MS Excel 2000) by part number. My images are in their folder and named by part number. It's like selecting only the...

LDAP Query AD
Hi, Can anyone help with how can I query AD for Account containing specific word in the DisplayName. I am using Custom SSearch in AD and I have to write the LDAP query which needs to display all accounts where DisplayName contains test. Display all Accounts where DisplayName contains (Test) Sorry I'm new to LDAP and I need this to be in AD. Thank you, Lion Howdie! Am 02.06.2010 17:32, schrieb Lion@hotmail.com: > Can anyone help with how can I query AD for Account containing specific > word in the DisplayName. I am using Custom SSearch in AD and I hav...

Design
Hello, I have been working through serveral lessons within a workbook course but the problem that I am having is when I want to setup my own spreadsheet outside of the workbook I have problems with doing that. What type of approach should I take with designing a spreadsheet. Kelly I think that would depend on what it would be used for , Inventory, calculating values such as Cpk, Ppk, Stdev.... Sales report... they all have their own needs as to how you would design your spreadsheet, so that it suits the best of your needs. "Jessica@aol.com" wrote: > Hello, > > I...

Bug or By Design?
Hi, I recently had a problem with one of my XPath expressions which led me to believe there might be a bug in XmlNode, although it could be by design since I didn't find anything in the KB. Consider the the code appended below. The function CleanEmptyElements removes all empty elements from the document using a XPath expression. As you will notice in the code, I add two empty elements. If you check the resulting testXml.xml file, the "SpecialEmptyElement" element, though emtpy is still present. The only special thing about it is that I assign a null string to the InnerT...

Need help with changing query
First of all, thanks for reading this. Here's my problem. I have 1 field called [sex] and another called [race]. At one time the word sex was a text field Male or Female. I've changed the field properties to either yes/no true false. Yes = Female and No = Male. The code in the sql/query below is using the words Male or Female {list5}. The [race] seems to be ok. I need to change the sex part to either true or false even though on the screen it will show Male/Female SELECT qryEmpMaster.Lname, qryEmpMaster.Fname, qryEmpMaster.Sex, qryEmpMaster. Race FROM qryEmpMaster WHER...

accde
Hi, I have some VBA that modifies a report's design. However, the code throws an exception on this line: DoCmd.OpenReport rpt_name, acViewDesign I understand the reason why, so here's my question: Q) How can my VBA code modify a report in an accde file? Thanks On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 22:26:01 -0800, Andy <Andy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Q) How can my VBA code modify a report in an accde file? It can't. You must use an accdb. -- John W. Vinson [MVP] Hello, I have the same problem... and I create several reports... ...

Design of connectors
Hello I need some help to optimise our systems, which I inherited. Our company has 2 sites, connected with a sufficient link of 1 mbit. Site 1 has an Exchange 2003/SP1 server with an address 10.0.0.1 and site 2 has an Exchange 2003/SP1 server with an address 20.0.0.1 Site 1 has an backup Internet link of 256 mbit to ISP1 and Site 2 has a main Internet link of 1 mbit to ISP2 (we are using ISA 2004) All internet traffic flows from Site1 to SiteB, through ISA and so on. How should I configure Exchanges SMTP connectors and routing group (RG) connectors at both sites to achieve maximum reliabilt...

Is there anywhere Advanced Security settings are listed by node?
I'm trying to set securities for the various classes I've created for my users, but can find no documentation on what node affects what in Dynamics. It's all very generalized and as I've found, is not very intuitive. When you think you've turned off something totally not needed by a user, the report not being able to perform some action, so logic is not too useful in trying to figure out what is going to affect your bottom line users. I have some classes that don't need any financial data whatsoever -- all they do is create purchase orders (they don't even r...

Query design question?
Query1 retrieves data for 2,000 records from a series of linked tables that have about 100,000 recordset Query2 retrieves data for 5,000 records from another series of linked tables that has about a 100,000 recordset as well. Query1 and Query2 are linked on a customer ID (e.g.) Should there be a simple join between Query1 and Query2 on Customer ID, or would there there be a benefit to limiting the records in Query2 first? Yes, SQL Server app - have an old stopwatch, but didn't know if some general guidelines applied. "Jerry Whittle" <JerryWhittle@discussions.micros...

Rerun query
I have a report based on a query. On opening the report you are prompted to enter 3 parameters (start date, end date, employee name). I need to run a seperate report for each employee. Is there anyway to code or create a macro that tells the report to reopen with new parameters upon closing or printing. I am trying to avoid opeing the report 80 times. I think an easier way would be to add a Report field in your employee table , Yes/No, and use a form with start date & end date in the header and employees listed in datasheet view to check who to use in report. Add a butto...

Tricky XPath query
Hey all, I've attempted to simplify my question (or at least the XML that is part of my example in my question): I have the following XML: <A> <B><C><D> I want to query the data in this node for the element B </D></C><E> I also want to query the data in this node for the element B </E> </B> <B><!--Additional data for another B element--> </B> </A> My idea is to do something like this: --------------------------------------------------- Dim nav As XPathNavigator = doc.CreateNaviga...

Different counts on same query
Good afternoon, I need help on finding out how to run three different counts on one query. I have a table set up to show Date Within this query I have the following fields: Date | Method | AgedDays ... taken from TotalInventoryTable my goal is to say the following in one query. Date Method CountofAge CountofAge>30 CountofAge>60 Date Calls ## ## ## Date Corr ## ## ## etc. etc. All on one query... Is this possible. Thank you everyone. -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.c...

Nz function in query
Hi All, the query below shows an error if any of the date in / date out entries in the table are empty. How can i impiment the Nz function to stop this. SQL from query... SELECT Employees.[First Name], Employees.[Last Name], Format([Normal start Time],"h:nn AMPM") AS ['Normal Start Time], Format([Normal End Time],"h:nn AMPM") AS ['Normal End Time], Format([scan time in],"h:nn AMPM") AS ['Scan Time In], Format([scan time Out],"h:mm AMPM") AS ['Scan Time Out], Format( [Scan Date In],"dddd dd,mm,yyyy") AS ['Scan Date ...

What does "(Bulk)" designation mean on email
I had a bunch of email show up suddenly all prefixed with (Bulk). No pattern of sender nor date sent. Some were two weeks old. Does anyone know what this means or what happened. Sound like something added by integrated anti virus or spam app, or possibly your ISP AV/Spam filters, nothing to do with Outlook "Mobydick" <Mobydick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F8056B15-6391-43F2-899C-47DC8F2B369E@microsoft.com... >I had a bunch of email show up suddenly all prefixed with (Bulk). No >pattern > of sender nor date sent. Some were two we...

Invoice Designer not saving custom designs
Is anyone else running into an issue of Invoice Designer not saving custom designs? It seems to save ok, but the new invoice is not available from within Money Small Business 2005. See this: http://money.mvps.org/faq/default.aspx#Business (second article in that section) -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money http://money.mvps.org Check http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny for UK tips and fixes for MS Money. To send Microsoft your wishes or suggestions, use http://register.microsoft.com/mswish/suggestion.asp or http://www.microsoft.com/uk/support/money/feedback...