Deleting specific records based on query results

Is there a way to use a select query to find and then delete specific records
in a database.  My database records basic applicant information in one table
(tblApplicants) and any interview data in another (TblActivities).  I need to
do an annual purge of applicants from a previous year who were never
interviewed.  I have a select query that returns the name and date entered
from the TblApplicants table where the requisition data in the TblActivities
table is null.  I know I can then go to the TblApplicants and manually delete
each record, but at over 1700 records that seems a little crazy if there's a
better way.
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

You've decided "how" ... now, why?

What will having the uninterviewed Applicants removed then allow you to do?

What problem are you trying to solve using this approach?

I ask, not out of prurient interest, but because there may be a solution
other than the one you've selected...

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Access MVP

guarantee as to suitability.

possible/necessary.

"scifinut" <scifinut@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to use a select query to find and then delete specific
> records
> in a database.  My database records basic applicant information in one
> table
> (tblApplicants) and any interview data in another (TblActivities).  I need
> do an annual purge of applicants from a previous year who were never
> interviewed.  I have a select query that returns the name and date entered
> from the TblApplicants table where the requisition data in the
> TblActivities
> table is null.  I know I can then go to the TblApplicants and manually
> delete
> each record, but at over 1700 records that seems a little crazy if there's
> better way.

0
Jeff
12/14/2009 8:15:31 PM
"scifinut" <scifinut@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to use a select query to find and then delete specific
> records
> in a database.  My database records basic applicant information in one
> table
> (tblApplicants) and any interview data in another (TblActivities).  I need
> do an annual purge of applicants from a previous year who were never
> interviewed.  I have a select query that returns the name and date entered
> from the TblApplicants table where the requisition data in the
> TblActivities
> table is null.  I know I can then go to the TblApplicants and manually
> delete
> each record, but at over 1700 records that seems a little crazy if there's
> better way.

Yes, you should be able to do what you want using SQL syntax similar to
this:

DELETE FROM tblApplicants
WHERE <then, add the criteria from your SELECT query that correctly
identifies the rows to be deleted>

1
PvdG42
12/14/2009 8:42:14 PM
Assumptions:
tblActivities has a field identifying the applicant

If tblActivities has multiple records per applicant then you need to purge the
records from tblActivities before you can purge the records from tblApplicants
unless you have Cascade delete set on the relationship between the two tables.

DELETE
FROM tblApplicants
WHERE Not Exists
   (SELECT * FROM tblActivities
    WHERE tblActivities.ApplicantID = tblApplicants.ApplicantID)

If you post the SQL of your current query (View: SQL from design view) someone
can probably use that to build you a more specific query.

Also, IF you run the current query you might be able to select multiple
records at one time and delete the selection all at one time.

If you have an activity type, you might need to expand the subquery to include
  criteria to filter the records based on the activity type and perhaps on the
activity date.

DELETE
FROM tblApplicants
WHERE Not Exists
   (SELECT * FROM tblActivities
    WHERE tblActivities.ApplicantID = tblApplicants.ApplicantID
    AND tblActivities.ActivityType = "Interview")

John Spencer
Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2009
The Hilltop Institute
University of Maryland Baltimore County

scifinut wrote:
> Is there a way to use a select query to find and then delete specific records
> in a database.  My database records basic applicant information in one table
> (tblApplicants) and any interview data in another (TblActivities).  I need to
> do an annual purge of applicants from a previous year who were never
> interviewed.  I have a select query that returns the name and date entered
> from the TblApplicants table where the requisition data in the TblActivities
> table is null.  I know I can then go to the TblApplicants and manually delete
> each record, but at over 1700 records that seems a little crazy if there's a
> better way.
0
John

Cannot delete subreport

Specific Fill Color selection missing?!?
Excel 97 - been using the same template for months. Extensively use the Light Yellow fill color. Today, I open the worksheet and the Light Yellow cells have been replaced by more gold-like color. In fact, where Light Yellow once positioned was in the selection box (directly below Yellow), a color labeled "Color Scheme" is now present. How do I get the Light Yellow selection back? This is driving me crazy and even affects previously saved spreadsheets. Ideas? Go to Tools | Options | Color (tab) | Reset (button) -- Jim Cone San Francisco, USA http://www.realezsites.com/bus/p...

How to Recover Deleted Sent Mail?

Rule for Deleted Items

ODBC DSN query issue
I've researched this to death, and many sources point to the same answer, yet I keep getting the DSN prompt box when I try to run a query with the user ID & pw imbedded in the query. (I'm trying to get passed needing to manually enter a password when I run a Scheduled Task. - My system is set up that I do not have the option of saving a password.) This is what I have in the Source Connect Str ODBC;DSN=edwprdi0;UID=xxx;PWD=xxx; When I run as a pass-thru, I just get the prompt asking for a DSN SELECT ARMUV006.LEAD_CAR_INIT, ARMUV006.LEAD_CAR_NBR FROM ARMUV006 IN &...

Windows 2003 Server Role Hardware Specifications
Hello, I don't know where I saw it but is there a link that talks about the hardware specifications for the various servers roles such as DCs, file server, web server, etc.? -- Thank you for your help! JYC Hello Mr. JYC, Maybe this can help you: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/solutionaccelerators/ee382254.aspx Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. ** Please do NOT email, only reply to Newsgroups ** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm >...

Delete macros

Locate a specific row or column
Hi all, Could you tell me how to locate a specific row instead of using Mouse to dray the scroll bar? Clara thank you so much for your help In VBA code, you can use: Range("D100").Activate ' Or Range("D1:D100").Select ' Depending on if you want only one cell highlighted or a range of cells. -- Best wishes, Jim "clara" wrote: > Hi all, > > Could you tell me how to locate a specific row instead of using Mouse to > dray the scroll bar? > > Clara > > thank you so much for your help Hi Clara Have you tried goto in the Ed...

Problem with popup form on a single record
I have a record that has a form for a user to enter information into. If the user needs to add additional information, a popup screen (popup and modal) comes up for them to add additional information. Both forms service one record. Occasionally, and I can't seem to define it exactly, I get an error message saying that another user (I'm the only user) is trying to update the record and I have three choices: Save the information, write it to the clipboard or dump the information. The last time I saved it, I corrupted the entire database and had to start all over again. The...

Re: Ranking my results in a query to get the TOP#10 percent
Hello, I have created several queries and now I would like to rank my result to only get the TOP 10 percent. Could you please assist me with an Access SQL statement that can accomplish this? Thanks, TL SELECT TOP 10 PERCENT * FROM somewhere ORDER BY someExpression It is not a 'rank' in itself, though, just a pick of the 'top most'. Light difference between the two expressions, but it probably does not matter... :-) Vanderghast, Access MVP "TL" <TL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E6549C8D-9FDC-4568-B73F-434BAF601BD7@mi...

OK to delete Deleted Items folder?

Update field w/ string based on due dates
Hi, I have a form that provides a listing of various instruments that are serviced on a monthly to annual basis, with general info about the instrument, last and next service dates, etc.. What I am trying to do is create an On Open event procedure that will identify all instruments that are listed with a string of either "Past Due" or "Schedule Vendor" based on whether each of their respective 'Due' dates have already transpired or not from the current month. The code I initially created for this was as follows: Private Sub Form_Open() Dim myDate, myDue myDa...

How to delete chart

Delete blank Last page

Deleting an email

OWA: Combining form-based & basic HTTP auth
Hello, Is it possible to enable both form-based and HTTP authentication at the same time for an OWA server in Exchange 2003? I've been trying to do this for the last day or so and have not been having much luck. I would like to have both because each method has its advantages. Form-based auth allows session timeouts and compression (why is compression tied to the form method by the way?). HTTP auth prevents unauthenticated users from knowing that you have an OWA server there as they hit the HTTP auth before they can learn anything except you are running IIS. I can use either in...

#Deleted

Can I delete this from ADSI?
Hi all, I am upgrating Exchange 2K to Exchange 2K3 and removed the Mobile information Server (which we never used it). But, I can see the CN=Microsoft-Mobile-Information-Server under configuration -->Services from ADSIedit. Can I safely delete this? or If I do not delete this, wii it have any issue with exchange 2003 mobile? Thanks! Exchange Server 2003 mobility features do not rely on that. Saving a LDIF dump may be a good idea before you delete - this provides ability to recreate the object if required. -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com NEW blog location: www.e...

outlook deletes inbox mail
On about three occaisions, my computer has restarted itself while Outlook Express, and sometimes other applications have been open, without my prompting it to do so. Upon rebooting, my Outlook inbox messages are completely wiped out, however, my sent folders and deleted messages, address book, ect. remain the same, and with no data lost. Can someone tell me what has happened, or perhaps how I can recover these lost emails? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, C.C. Outlook or Outlook Express? If Outlook Express and you search your drive (use advanced option for hidden f...