Deleting records from a table

Hi all,

It's amazing just how quickly -- or maybe the four years since I retired
from developing databases isn't that 'quickly' after all :-> -- that I could
forget how to do something that should really be easy.

I have a table with a couple of thousand records. Each record contains a
field for first name, last name, street address, city, state and zip. There
can be four or five people at one address, and there is a record for each of
them.

I need to cull down the amount of records so that only ONE name at each
household will get a mailing.

I remember that I used to be able to do this by running a make table,
delete, append....or some other sort of query -- and it wasn't too
complicated.

Will someone be kind enough to refresh this 'older' gentleman's memory how
it's done?

Thanks so much.

        Alan

0
Alan
5/24/2010 10:37:08 PM
access 16762 articles. 2 followers. Follow

You could copy your table (structure only) to a new table; set a compound
index on street address, city, state and zip with no duplicates allowed.
Then simply append your records to the new table.  Only one of each address
will get in.

Regards

Kevin

"Alan" <somewhere@nospam.not> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> It's amazing just how quickly -- or maybe the four years since I retired
> from developing databases isn't that 'quickly' after all :-> -- that I
> could forget how to do something that should really be easy.
>
> I have a table with a couple of thousand records. Each record contains a
> field for first name, last name, street address, city, state and zip.
> There can be four or five people at one address, and there is a record for
> each of them.
>
> I need to cull down the amount of records so that only ONE name at each
> household will get a mailing.
>
> I remember that I used to be able to do this by running a make table,
> delete, append....or some other sort of query -- and it wasn't too
> complicated.
>
> Will someone be kind enough to refresh this 'older' gentleman's memory how
> it's done?
>
> Thanks so much.
>
>        Alan

0
kc
5/24/2010 11:16:54 PM
Alan wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>It's amazing just how quickly -- or maybe the four years since I retired
>from developing databases isn't that 'quickly' after all :-> -- that I could
>forget how to do something that should really be easy.
>
>I have a table with a couple of thousand records. Each record contains a
>field for first name, last name, street address, city, state and zip. There
>can be four or five people at one address, and there is a record for each of
>them.
>
>I need to cull down the amount of records so that only ONE name at each
>household will get a mailing.
>
>I remember that I used to be able to do this by running a make table,
>delete, append....or some other sort of query -- and it wasn't too
>complicated.
>
>Will someone be kind enough to refresh this 'older' gentleman's memory how
>it's done?
>
>Thanks so much.
>
>        Alan

do a summary query on the address (Group by Address, City, State, Zip) and
then use FIRST for the FirstName and LastName columns.

PieterLinden
5/25/2010 12:02:52 AM
Thank you both for responding to my post.

I ended up using Kevin's method, and it worked just fine.

        Alan

"Alan" <somewhere@nospam.not> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> It's amazing just how quickly -- or maybe the four years since I retired
> from developing databases isn't that 'quickly' after all :-> -- that I
> could forget how to do something that should really be easy.
>
> I have a table with a couple of thousand records. Each record contains a
> field for first name, last name, street address, city, state and zip.
> There can be four or five people at one address, and there is a record for
> each of them.
>
> I need to cull down the amount of records so that only ONE name at each
> household will get a mailing.
>
> I remember that I used to be able to do this by running a make table,
> delete, append....or some other sort of query -- and it wasn't too
> complicated.
>
> Will someone be kind enough to refresh this 'older' gentleman's memory how
> it's done?
>
> Thanks so much.
>
>        Alan

0
Alan
5/27/2010 4:32:04 PM
Thank you both for responding to my post.

I ended up using Kevin's method, and it worked just fine.

        Alan

"Alan" <somewhere@nospam.not> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> It's amazing just how quickly -- or maybe the four years since I retired
> from developing databases isn't that 'quickly' after all :-> -- that I
> could forget how to do something that should really be easy.
>
> I have a table with a couple of thousand records. Each record contains a
> field for first name, last name, street address, city, state and zip.
> There can be four or five people at one address, and there is a record for
> each of them.
>
> I need to cull down the amount of records so that only ONE name at each
> household will get a mailing.
>
> I remember that I used to be able to do this by running a make table,
> delete, append....or some other sort of query -- and it wasn't too
> complicated.
>
> Will someone be kind enough to refresh this 'older' gentleman's memory how
> it's done?
>
> Thanks so much.
>
>        Alan

0
Alan

Pivot Table row comparison
I'm trying to compare an old customer schedule with their new schedule and highlight the changes with colour or by hiding a row. My pivot table looks like this Prod Sched wk1 wk2 wk3 A old 3 2 3 A new 3 4 3 B old 2 2 2 B new 2 2 2 So in the above example I'd like to colour the cells for wk2- Product A in yellow, and hide the product B rows as there has been no change in demand. Can someone give me some advice about how to do this Thanks for your help Ross How about an alternative??? Your raw data looks kind of like this: Prod Sched wk# qty...

How to Recover Deleted Sent Mail?

Cannot delete subreport

pulling table modified date
hey all, i'm trying to set the value of a text box on my form to the Created Date of a table in my database. its not the recordsource of the form. any ideas? TIA Ted also I forgot to mention the table is in a different database "Ted" <tbest@rca-insurance.com> wrote in message news:uLzIPc$ZIHA.1184@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > hey all, i'm trying to set the value of a text box on my form to the > Created Date of a table in my database. its not the recordsource of the > form. any ideas? > > TIA > Ted > > > You could get the creatio...

Rule for Deleted Items

Manipulating Pivot Table Data Fields
Hi all, Have a question regarding the Data Field in pivot tables. I have a number of rows that have repeating values. What I want in the Data Field (Sum) is a count of DISTINCT values in the column. ie: FR065817 \ FR065817 |----> counted as one FR065817 / FR066154 \___> counted as one FR066154 / FR066158 -----> counted as one FR066159 \___> counted as one FR066159 / However I need all the data in the table as I'm using other columns for different fields in the pivot table. Is there a way to do this? If I have to split the table somehow, I'm willing to do...

Refreshing fields in table cells.
Situation is as follows ... A document header contains a text box. This text box contains a table. The table has a field in each cell (20 fields in total). How do I select all these fields in VBA to refresh their values? The text box (and the table therein) are in a building block that is placed in the header using a macro. I know the cells can refresh because I see the refreshed values if I do a print preview, but I want to see them while looking at page Layout just after I have defined new field values. Field values are applied via a user form and it also here after pressing...

Delete macros

Problem with popup form on a single record
I have a record that has a form for a user to enter information into. If the user needs to add additional information, a popup screen (popup and modal) comes up for them to add additional information. Both forms service one record. Occasionally, and I can't seem to define it exactly, I get an error message saying that another user (I'm the only user) is trying to update the record and I have three choices: Save the information, write it to the clipboard or dump the information. The last time I saved it, I corrupted the entire database and had to start all over again. The...

make table not replacing table on back end
Access 2003 I have split my database and distributed the FE to users The database has an ODBC connection to Lotus Notes. I create a make table query called q00NonconformMKTbl to dump the data from the Lotus Notes ODBC connection to the tNonconformance table. But since the database is split when i run the Make table it is only updating on my instance of the FE. Is there a why to do a Make table and specify to delete and recreate the table in the BE? It was making me crazy until i figured why only my db was updating with lates data. -- deb Instead of dropping a tab...

OK to delete Deleted Items folder?

How to delete chart

how to view 2 tables in design view side by side (access 2007)
I used to use access 2003 and was able to show side by side two tables in design view. How is this done in access 2007. Click on the Office Button, at the bottom right click the Access Options, select Current Database, under Applications Options - Data Window Options unselect Display Document Tabs and select Overlapping Windows. You will need to restart Access to take affect. -- Build a little, test a little. "celeste" wrote: > I used to use access 2003 and was able to show side by side two tables in > design view. How is this done in access 2007. ...

Delete blank Last page

Deleting an email

#Deleted

Customer / Item Table Name
What is the name of the Customer / Item Table in the database? Thanks in advance! Can you please clarify? Are you looking the Historical Sales Transactions table.? "Banner" wrote: > What is the name of the Customer / Item Table in the database? Thanks in > advance! I think you're looking for the Sales Customer Item Cross Reference Table which is SOP60300 You may be looking for SOP60300. "Banner" wrote: > What is the name of the Customer / Item Table in the database? Thanks in > advance! That's it, thanks! Bryan "VGrinam" wrot...

Can I delete this from ADSI?
Hi all, I am upgrating Exchange 2K to Exchange 2K3 and removed the Mobile information Server (which we never used it). But, I can see the CN=Microsoft-Mobile-Information-Server under configuration -->Services from ADSIedit. Can I safely delete this? or If I do not delete this, wii it have any issue with exchange 2003 mobile? Thanks! Exchange Server 2003 mobility features do not rely on that. Saving a LDIF dump may be a good idea before you delete - this provides ability to recreate the object if required. -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com NEW blog location: www.e...

outlook deletes inbox mail
On about three occaisions, my computer has restarted itself while Outlook Express, and sometimes other applications have been open, without my prompting it to do so. Upon rebooting, my Outlook inbox messages are completely wiped out, however, my sent folders and deleted messages, address book, ect. remain the same, and with no data lost. Can someone tell me what has happened, or perhaps how I can recover these lost emails? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, C.C. Outlook or Outlook Express? If Outlook Express and you search your drive (use advanced option for hidden f...