db1.mdb file created when database compacts

Hi,
I have my databases configured to run compact and repair on shutdown.   On
occasion when the database does it compact and repair process, a db1.mdb is
created and left behind after the database has finished its compact and
repair process.  The next time the database is accessed and closed another
..mdb files is created this time db2.mdb. The file is incremented everytime.
Can anyone tell me the cause of this?

Thanks,
David.
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 06:34:02 -0700, BigTroubleInLittleChina
<BigTroubleInLittleChina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

Compacting works by creating a dbX.mdb, and copying all objects in it.
If all worked, the original db is deleted and the new one renamed.
If that process did not work for whatever reason, the dbX file may be
left behind. Take it as a sign that your compact did not work as well
as you expected, e.g. because the user got impatient and powered down
the machine while the compact was still in progress.

-Tom.

>Hi,
>I have my databases configured to run compact and repair on shutdown.   On
>occasion when the database does it compact and repair process, a db1.mdb is
>created and left behind after the database has finished its compact and
>repair process.  The next time the database is accessed and closed another
>.mdb files is created this time db2.mdb. The file is incremented everytime.
>Can anyone tell me the cause of this?
>
>Thanks,
>David.
0
Tom
10/30/2007 1:45:44 PM
On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 06:34:02 -0700, BigTroubleInLittleChina
<BigTroubleInLittleChina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>I have my databases configured to run compact and repair on shutdown.   On
>occasion when the database does it compact and repair process, a db1.mdb is
>created and left behind after the database has finished its compact and
>repair process.  The next time the database is accessed and closed another
>.mdb files is created this time db2.mdb. The file is incremented everytime.
>Can anyone tell me the cause of this?
>
>Thanks,
>David.

Check your database to see if there is a new CompactErrors table. As Tom says,
the db1 (or db2 or whatever) is the intermediate stage of compaction - the
errors table might be in it instead of in your main table.

The other reason that the file might persist is that the user running the
compact might not have Delete permissions on the folder containing the
database.

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0
John
10/30/2007 7:18:22 PM
If the db1, db2 are fully functional files, and you're working on the
network, then it may not be an error or permissions issue. If you're
using Access 2003 SP3, I think that it is a "bug" in SP3. I started
having this happen when they updated the SP, and apparently, we can't
uninstall the SP....

I don't know a workaround from code, except: 1. Do it on the local
drive (doesn't seem to be an issue there). 2) Figure out which db was
just created (the compacted one), rename (or delete) the original
file, and then rename dbx to the original file name. Both of these
solutions require some fancy coding (an external db, etc), so I'm not
doing that yet. I'm waiting to see if MS acknowledges and/or fixes the
bug...

On Oct 30, 9:34 am, BigTroubleInLittleChina
<BigTroubleInLittleCh...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have my databases configured to run compact and repair on shutdown.   On
> occasion when the database does it compact and repair process, adb1.mdb is
> created and left behind after the database has finished its compact and
> repair process.  The next time the database is accessed and closed another
> .mdb files is created this timedb2.mdb. The file is incremented everytime.
> Can anyone tell me the cause of this?
>
> Thanks,
> David.

0
germaine

close mdb from calling mdb
Is it possible to close called mdb from calling mdb? I have one launch center calling another mdb and would like to close called mdb from calling mdb when user closes the calling mdb. Your informaiton is great appreciated, It depends on how you call it in the first place. If you use FollowHyperlink then things get very complicated, but if you used something like: dim accapp as access.application set accapp = new access.application accapp.opencurrentdatabase("c:\YourDbName.mdb") .... Then you could do accapp.Quit How do you launch it in the first place? -- H...

Picture inserted from file cannot be aligned

Export to Formatted Text (.prn) file truncates data
When I save the excel file as PRN file (text file) the data is truncated on the right. Not all the columns are being exported. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? Thanks First, excellent choice in names and initials! You have a few choices (try against a copy of your worksheet): I'd either concatenate the cell values into another column: =LEFT(A1&REPT(" ",5),5) & LEFT(B1&REPT(" ",4),4) & TEXT(C1,"000,000.00") (You'll have to modify it to match what you want.) Then I'd copy and paste to notepad and save from there. Once...

Sharing .MDB file in Vista..
For our project at work, we have had an Access Database developed for multiple users. It's split into a "front end" and "back end" as described previously in many of the threads in this newsgroup. The "back end" is hosted centrally on an external hard drive attached to our workgroup - Western Digital MyBook World Ed. We have been having issues with poor performance, and so decided to migrate the "Back End" to a shared folder hosted on a spare Vista PC. (3/4 of the machines connecting to this DB are Vista, 1/4 are XP) However, I've set t...

How to convert an Excel file to CSV File
IS there anyway to convert an excel file into comma delimited file - I used the Save as and CSV file format, but that didnt help much. Any other options/ways we can do this. Thanks, Damu "Damu"... > IS there anyway to convert an excel file into comma delimited file - I > used the Save as and CSV file format, but that didnt help much. hi Damu, Worksforme, what did it do instead for you. If you view it in Excel it is going to look like nothing changed. View the created .csv file with Notepad such as right click on the file from Explorer (File Manager) and View with No...

Browsing Local Files
Hi everyone, I have Outlook 2003. I'd like to be able to browse my local file folders, through Outlook, on the left hand "folder" area. Essentially, I'd like to be able to drag and drop my e-mail into folder on my hard drive. Can anyone share with the group how to do this? Thnak you in advance! Manta This function has been removed in Outlook 2003. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After s...

Lock my Excel file
Hello, I have created a spreadsheet that I would like to have saved and locked, so that when a person attempts to access this file they would need a password. How do you advise? Lisa Hi in the save as dialog unter 'Tools' you can define a password for your file -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Lisa" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:385301c48f7b$560df080$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Hello, > > I have created a spreadsheet that I would like to have > saved and locked, so that when a person attempts to access > thi...

Creating Resorce Mailboxes
I have followed this link http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/MF019.htm for a tutorial on creating resources in exchange 2003 It seems to me that this is very timeconsuming - considering many organisations have hundreds of resources to manage. Is it really necessary to go to another PC, log in as the resource-mailbox, configure Outlook - just to check a couple of checkboxes.... for every single resource... you must be kidding right? Why can't this be done from the Administration Interface Thanks for all replies Steen Molberg You could use the AutoAccept Agent: http://blogs.msdn.com/ex...

Importing HHT Text files
We used to use Quicksell 2000 and a Unitech hand-held scanner in order to input new inventory into the system. The unitech scanner would upload a comma-delimited text file, and then we'd import this text file into QS2000. I can't find a way to do this in RMS-Store Operations.. From what I can see, the only time I can import the unitech's text file is when doing a "Physical Inventory". Unfortunately.. the Physical Inventory form doesn't allow you to ADD counts to current "on-hand" amounts. (Ex., if you have 6 chocolate bars in your inventory.. and you ...

Log file
Where do i find my log files? On an NT based system: go to start, run, type eventvwr, then hit enter. There you'll see the application, system, and security logs. >-----Original Message----- >Where do i find my log files? >. > ...

How do I show where a file is located?
I'd like to display a file path for a document so someone else can find it again. How can I display it in a footer? Insert the FILENAME field; you can use the Field dialog box for this purpose. To display the dialog box: - Click Insert | Field (Word 2003). - Click Insert tab | Quick Parts | Field (Word 2007). -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "energysaver" <energysaver@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6CD50FAB-80A6-4353-9A84-1FCF66BDE17F@microsoft.com... > I'd like to display a file path for a document so someone else can f...

Recovering An Overwritten File #3
I overwrote a spreadsheet with a blank spreadsheet. How do I recover my previous spreadsheet? If you don't have a backup, I think you lost it. Any chance you emailed a copy to someone else--then you may have a copy in your sentbox or can ask that recipient to mail a copy back? Need To Recover A Spreadsheet wrote: > > I overwrote a spreadsheet with a blank spreadsheet. How do I recover my > previous spreadsheet? -- Dave Peterson ...

unvalidated copy of xp pro locked me out...how do i get my files o
I needed to reinstall my xp pro, but couldn't find my disk, so I borrowed another one to install it temporarily until I could locate my own. Well as it turned out, my copy was stolen and now 30 days have passed and I'm locked out, unable to get past the WGA. No big deal really, I had been looking for a reason to buy a new pc anyway, so I went out and purchased a new HP with Vista. I brought it home and installed the old hard drive into it so I could copy my files. I disabled simple file sharing and took ownership of the drive, but it still will not let me access it. Is WG...

Creating a hyperlink withVB Script
Hi everybody i just recently started using VB at work and now i am working on a script which sends emails to our customers. So far it has gone pretty well but now they want to add a hyperlink to the email. So a part of a sentence should be a hyperlink which directs our customers to our webpage. I just cant figure this out. Anyone knows how to do this? Thanks in advance Styrmir "Styrmir" <styrmirg@gmail.com> wrote in message news:ba08f217-4572-4398-8277-e8743ff10a3e@i31g2000yqm.googlegroups.com... > Hi everybody > > i just recently started using VB at ...

How to read a outlook 2003 log file
hello how do I read a outlook log file to troubleshoot, is there a definition page somewhere, here is an example. +OK POP3 clients that break here, they violate STD53. is the one message I see that has a problem of some kind. Unfortunately there isn't any help pages that I am aware of. The person that I used to bug in Microsoft to take a peek at these types of things retired. Basically what you would look for is where Outlook is getting hung up on pulling the same message id multiple times. The other option to you is to contact Microsoft Product Support Services and ask them...

File's layout changes from two page to single page after saving as
I think I may have discovered a bug, or else there is a very obscure step that I have been failing to take. I am creating a 20 page newsletter in Publisher 2007, 5 pieces of paper double sided and folded in half. When I am working on the newsletter, it looks fine - double page layout, all my fonts, the works, however the moment I am done and SAVE THE FILE AS A PDF using the patch that I recently downloaded from Microsoft, the original PUB file CHANGES FROM A DOUBLE TO A SINGLE PAGE LAYOUT! I do nothing to it except save and exit, but the next time I open the file, the layout has gone...

Can not convert .MDB to .MDE file
Access keeps not responding and freezing when trying to create .MDE file. I am using Access 2003, I compacted file, I follow all steps. Any ideas? Have you tried compiling your VBA code to see if there are any errors? Open any code module and from the Debug menu select Compile <your database>. Carl Rapson <hjb1974@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1174660169.845277.160410@l77g2000hsb.googlegroups.com... > Access keeps not responding and freezing when trying to create .MDE > file. I am using Access 2003, I compacted file, I follow all steps. > Any ideas? > ...

Macro file is empty?
I've been trying to record my first-ever macro, but for some reason the macro file is always empty. I go to Tools>Macro>Record, give the file a name, and start performing the tasks (for a test, I simply brought up the Item card and entered an item number to display). I then stop recording (Tools>Macro>Stop Recording). When I edit the .mac file, there's nothing in it. I've tried a few other tasks (as well as using Alt-F8 to start & end the recording process), but I keep ending up with an empty macro file. Where am I going wrong?? -- Bud Cool, Accounting Sys...

Unnecessary right side margin created in the PDF
I am using PrimopDF to convert a .pub document to PDF. My .pub document fits nicely in the layout and I do not want any margins on either side. However the converted PDF document by PrimoPDF has about 2 cm margin on the right hand side which I do not need. ...

files to delete?
i don't use Media Center... can i safely delete ehome files? my machine is slow as molasses... how do i clean it up? anybody wiped a MCE and installed Windows 7? disgusted sean -- How important does a person have to be before they are considered assassinated instead of just murdered? ** taglines almost, sorta, kinda brought to you by tagzilla 0.066 it definitely needs up dating @ http://tagzilla.mozdev.org Wiping system files from your hard drive won't speed anything up, just free up some space and it could screw up something else. You can go into Service...

Transferring Reports from another mdb
I have a table with a list of several hundred reports that I want to import from another mdb that has say, 1,000 reports. I'm using DoCmd.TransferDatabase, acImport,..... I have a procedure that loops through the table importing each report - however a window opens displaying the code module for each report. Is there a way to suppress the code module window from opening, or to close it as it imports each report? On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 16:02:49 -0500, JimP wrote: > I have a table with a list of several hundred reports that I want to import > from another mdb that has say, 1,0...

Re: Automation server can't create object. #2
Using OWA which used to work, but now I keep getting "Automation server can't create object " after login in. Any ideas how I can resolve this? Many Thx. ...

Macro shortcut for Database Add-In
I am trying to create a macro that turns my F12 key into a shortcut for ALT-S-R in all my workbooks. I use that series of keystrokes often through Essbase, a Database add-in used through Excel. ALT-S-R are the keystrokes to retrieve data out of a database. If no range is highlighted it puts the top left corner of the data in the active cell; however, if you hit ALT-S-R while there is a range of cells highlighted, you will only populate those cells in the highlighted range with the data. I know at least some version of what I'm trying to get is possible. I had it working for a little whi...

Lost .pst file when converting from domain to workgroup
Help! I have a laptop and a desktop running on my home network (workgroup HOME). I was having trouble sharing files between them and someone suggested to me converting my laptop (an old work computer belonging to DOMAIN CONTROL) from belonging to a domain to belonging to a workgroup. I made the change on the laptop and now I can share files, but unfortunately, I can no longer access all of the information stored under the domain profile. All of the files under Documents and Settings seems to be there, except the HUGE missing component is my outlook.PST file. There is no question...

How to Create a ToolTip for MSFlexGrid in Visual C++
Hi! Can anyone send me how to create a ToolTip for header columns in Visual C++ dialog application. Regards, Sanat I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but it should work very similarly: http://www.codeguru.com/cpp/controls/listview/tooltiptitletip/article.php/c1053/ This is also an interesting approach... not for the header, but for individual items: http://www.codeproject.com/treectrl/treetooltip.asp?print=true Tom "sanath" <sanath@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:03287A73-3844-4653-9DAF-639BBB5586F4@microsoft.com... > Hi! &g...