Date/Time Filter problem

I am trying to filter a report using the date/time filter

Between [Start Date] and [End Date]

and the blasted thing works fine for 12/1/2009 - 12/31/2009 but then when I
try to pull the report for 1/1/2010 - 1/31/2010 I get the "This expression is
typed incorrectly or it is too complex to be evaluated" error.

This is in a query (I have copied it below) based on a table that is
populated by an Append Query.  I have imported the data from McLeod (a
trucking database) into Excel and linked the Excel file.

Any clues on what could be causing this?

SELECT [Prof Rev4].T0Id, [Prof Rev4].T2Id, [Prof Rev4].T0Customer_Id, [Prof
Rev4].T3City_Name, [Prof Rev4].T3State, [Prof Rev4].T4City_Name, [Prof
Rev4].T4State, [Prof Rev4].T8Id, [Prof Rev4].Departure, [Prof Rev4].Arrival,
DateDiff("n",[Departure],[Arrival]) AS RunTimeMinutes, [Prof
Rev4].T0Total_Charge, IIf([T2Loaded]="E",0,[T0Total_Charge]) AS TotalCharge,
Round([RunTimeMinutes]*([T0Total_Charge]/[TotalBilled]),0) AS
RuntimeProrated, [Prof Rev4].T0Freight_Charge,
IIf([T2Loaded]="E",0,[T0Freight_Charge]) AS FreightCharge, [Prof
Rev4].T0Otherchargetotal, IIf([T2Loaded]="E",0,[T0Otherchargetotal]) AS
OtherCharge, [Prof Rev4].T2Loaded, Customer.[Customer Name],
Customer.[Customer City], Customer.[Customer State]
FROM Customer INNER JOIN ([Prof Rev4] INNER JOIN qryMovementBillings ON
[Prof Rev4].T2Id = qryMovementBillings.MovementNo) ON Customer.[Customer #] =
[Prof Rev4].T0Customer_Id
WHERE ((([Prof Rev4].Arrival) Between [Start Date] And [End Date]));

I have Access 2007 and Vista.

Thanks!!
Cindy
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

After a bit of testing I have discovered this interesting bit.  It will give
me the records from 1/1/2010 through 1/20/2010 but if I make the End Date
anything after 1/20/2010 I get the "This expression typed incorrectly, blah,
blah" error.

Cindy

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 09:49:01 -0800, Cindy <Cindy@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I am trying to filter a report using the date/time filter
>
>Between [Start Date] and [End Date]
>
>and the blasted thing works fine for 12/1/2009 - 12/31/2009 but then when I
>try to pull the report for 1/1/2010 - 1/31/2010 I get the "This expression is
>typed incorrectly or it is too complex to be evaluated" error.
>
>This is in a query (I have copied it below) based on a table that is
>populated by an Append Query.  I have imported the data from McLeod (a
>trucking database) into Excel and linked the Excel file.
>
>Any clues on what could be causing this?

Try explicitly defining the parameter as a Date/Time value:

PARAMETERS [Start Date] DateTime, [End Date] DateTime;
[...]

You may also want to consider creating a small form, frmCrit, with textboxes
for the start and end time, and instead of popping up the prompt use

>= [Forms]![frmCrit]![txtStart] AND < DateAdd("d", 1, [Forms]![frmCrit]![txtEnd]

as your criteria; this will cover records where the Arrival is sometime during
the last day of the range. As it is the BETWEEN will only pick up records
until midnight on the start of that day.
--

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0

Try declaring the parameters in the query:

PARAMETERS [Start Date] DateTime, [End Date] DateTime;
SELECT [Prof Rev4].T0Id, etc

Its always a good idea to declare date/time parameters as otherwise the
values entered at the prompt might be misinterpreted as arithmetical
expressions rather than dates.  Normally this would not raise an error,
however, but simply return the wrong data, or more likely none at all.

Ken Sheridan
Stafford, England

Cindy wrote:
>After a bit of testing I have discovered this interesting bit.  It will give
>me the records from 1/1/2010 through 1/20/2010 but if I make the End Date
>anything after 1/20/2010 I get the "This expression typed incorrectly, blah,
>blah" error.
>
>Cindy
>
>> I am trying to filter a report using the date/time filter
>>
>[quoted text clipped - 30 lines]
>> Thanks!!
>> Cindy

KenSheridan
2/15/2010 6:42:37 PM
Ken & John,

Well, I have done what you both said, explicitly defining the parameter.
Didn't help.  I made a form and that didn't help.

So I removed the filter completely and tried to run the report, it gave me
an error that simply states "Overflow".  As a test I removed the January
data, leaving only Dec data and it will run.  When I try to run January Only
data I again get the "Overflow" error.

I researched the "Overflow" error and then checked all my fields and they
are big enough for all the data, I have looked at the source data and there
are no errors or anomalies.  I have repulled the data from McLeod and
imported that into my database with the same result.  Since the report will
run for 1 Jan thru 20 Jan I looked at data dated after 20 January but cannot
see anything different.

I am at a total loss and could use any help.  I was supposed to present all
of this tomorrow but they will only get Dec now unless a miracle happens.

Thanks!

Cindy

"John W. Vinson" wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 09:49:01 -0800, Cindy <Cindy@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I am trying to filter a report using the date/time filter
> >
> >Between [Start Date] and [End Date]
> >
> >and the blasted thing works fine for 12/1/2009 - 12/31/2009 but then when I
> >try to pull the report for 1/1/2010 - 1/31/2010 I get the "This expression is
> >typed incorrectly or it is too complex to be evaluated" error.
> >
> >This is in a query (I have copied it below) based on a table that is
> >populated by an Append Query.  I have imported the data from McLeod (a
> >trucking database) into Excel and linked the Excel file.
> >
> >Any clues on what could be causing this?
>
> Try explicitly defining the parameter as a Date/Time value:
>
> PARAMETERS [Start Date] DateTime, [End Date] DateTime;
> SELECT [Prof Rev4].T0Id, [Prof Rev4].T2Id, [Prof Rev4].T0Customer_Id, [Prof
> Rev4].T3City_Name, [Prof Rev4].T3State, [Prof Rev4].T4City_Name, [Prof
> Rev4].T4State, [Prof Rev4].T8Id, [Prof Rev4].Departure, [Prof Rev4].Arrival,
> DateDiff("n",[Departure],[Arrival]) AS RunTimeMinutes, [Prof
> Rev4].T0Total_Charge, IIf([T2Loaded]="E",0,[T0Total_Charge]) AS TotalCharge,
> Round([RunTimeMinutes]*([T0Total_Charge]/[TotalBilled]),0) AS
> RuntimeProrated, [Prof Rev4].T0Freight_Charge,
> IIf([T2Loaded]="E",0,[T0Freight_Charge]) AS FreightCharge, [Prof
> Rev4].T0Otherchargetotal, IIf([T2Loaded]="E",0,[T0Otherchargetotal]) AS
> OtherCharge, [Prof Rev4].T2Loaded, Customer.[Customer Name],
> Customer.[Customer City], Customer.[Customer State]
> FROM Customer INNER JOIN ([Prof Rev4] INNER JOIN qryMovementBillings ON
> [Prof Rev4].T2Id = qryMovementBillings.MovementNo) ON Customer.[Customer #] =
> [Prof Rev4].T0Customer_Id
> WHERE ((([Prof Rev4].Arrival) Between [Start Date] And [End Date]));
>
> You may also want to consider creating a small form, frmCrit, with textboxes
> for the start and end time, and instead of popping up the prompt use
>
> >= [Forms]![frmCrit]![txtStart] AND < DateAdd("d", 1, [Forms]![frmCrit]![txtEnd]
>
> as your criteria; this will cover records where the Arrival is sometime during
> the last day of the range. As it is the BETWEEN will only pick up records
> until midnight on the start of that day.
> --
>
>              John W. Vinson [MVP]
> .

Cindy:

Its very hard to say at this distance just where the problem might lie.  Your
query includes a bunch of computed columns using expressions.  I'd suggest
taking all of these out of the query, but leaving the date parameters in and
then open it and include the post 20 January dates in the range.  If it opens
successfully put each computed column back in one by one until it falls over.
You'll then know where to start looking for the root cause of the problem.
If it still fails without any of the computed columns you'll need to dig
deeper.  As the query draws on another query its possible there could be a
problem in that, or it could be in the base data in the tables or in the
Excel worksheet.  Have you tried importing the data from Excel rather than
linking to it?

Ken Sheridan
Stafford, England

Cindy wrote:
>Ken & John,
>
>Well, I have done what you both said, explicitly defining the parameter.
>Didn't help.  I made a form and that didn't help.
>
>So I removed the filter completely and tried to run the report, it gave me
>an error that simply states "Overflow".  As a test I removed the January
>data, leaving only Dec data and it will run.  When I try to run January Only
>data I again get the "Overflow" error.
>
>I researched the "Overflow" error and then checked all my fields and they
>are big enough for all the data, I have looked at the source data and there
>are no errors or anomalies.  I have repulled the data from McLeod and
>imported that into my database with the same result.  Since the report will
>run for 1 Jan thru 20 Jan I looked at data dated after 20 January but cannot
>see anything different.
>
>I am at a total loss and could use any help.  I was supposed to present all
>of this tomorrow but they will only get Dec now unless a miracle happens.
>
>Thanks!
>
>Cindy
>
>> >I am trying to filter a report using the date/time filter
>> >
>[quoted text clipped - 37 lines]
>> the last day of the range. As it is the BETWEEN will only pick up records
>> until midnight on the start of that day.

KenSheridan
2/17/2010 6:43:35 PM
Ken.  I found it!!!!   I finally printed the datasheet from the query and
went over Jan line by line (only 2500 lines but I'm persistent) and found 1
record where the Total Charge was $0.00 and the filter code was L.  Of
course, it wanted a currency amount.  That error is also in the McLeod
database (where I imported the data from) and I wonder if it was ever
invoiced.  Anyway, I changed that in my database and Walla!!!  it worked.
Now I have everything for my presentation tomorrow and I'm a happy girl.

Thanks for hanging in there with me.

Cindy

"Cindy" <Cindy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> Customer.[Customer City], Customer.[Customer State]
>> FROM Customer INNER JOIN ([Prof Rev4] INNER JOIN qryMovementBillings ON
>> [Prof Rev4].T2Id = qryMovementBillings.MovementNo) ON Customer.[Customer
>> #] =
>> [Prof Rev4].T0Customer_Id
>> WHERE ((([Prof Rev4].Arrival) Between [Start Date] And [End Date]));
>>
>> You may also want to consider creating a small form, frmCrit, with
>> textboxes
>> for the start and end time, and instead of popping up the prompt use
>>
>> >= [Forms]![frmCrit]![txtStart] AND < DateAdd("d", 1,
>> >[Forms]![frmCrit]![txtEnd]
>>
>> as your criteria; this will cover records where the Arrival is sometime
>> during
>> the last day of the range. As it is the BETWEEN will only pick up records
>> until midnight on the start of that day.

0
markshankey1963

House account limits, and another Run time error
I need unlimited $$ accounts for in house charges that are tender types, not for customers that we create for mailorders and such. These house charges are meant for other departments within our company. Ideas? Run time error '-2147467259(80004005)'. [DBNETLIB][connetionWrite (wrapperWrite()).] General newtork error. Check your network documentation. ---what could this mean??--- You'd want to be careful of accounting ramifications, but you can do this: 1. Set up a new account type, say "InHouse". (Database > Account Types > New -- settings within may not...

filter by date and action

time cell Highlight
how do i make a time cell that is behind Real time of less than minutes be highlighted i know how to use conditional formating but i dont know how to inpu information in time ie: A1= Real time 17:35 B1=17:33 B2=17:25 B3=17:18 in this case i need cell B1 to be highlighted which is behing Real tim (A1) of less than 5 minutes............ -- Pivotren ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Pivotrend's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=406 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27255 Hi u...

Font problem
It seems that the Cambria Math font has recently acquired an extremely large Ascent and Descent. Has it perhaps always been that way and I've never noticed it before, or is it something recent, perhaps a Vista thing? Try the following code for example. For Arial and Times New Roman (and virtually all other fonts) I am getting pretty much exactly what I would expect (a TextHeight that is a bit larger than the point size) but for Cambria Math I am getting an extremely large TextHeight (I get exactly the same results using GDI32 methods). At this end (on my Vista Business laptop...

problems in outlook 2000
I had to have my hard drive reformatted 2 days ago. I work in OL 2000, internet only, in win 98 SE. My emails arrive in any order, whether I ask in the bar to get them ascending or descending, I get the same ones at the top, they arrive mainly by name, but not always, they are sometimes mixed. Can you tell me what happens ? Thanks ...

Transaction Date VS Business Date

Problem with recent Drop Down List Code
I recently got this code from Bob and just today tested the check boxes Problem is when I try to check any box beyond the first column, it wil automatically check the box in the first column only. Here is the code. Sub SelectSheets() Dim i As Long Dim iRows As Long Dim TopPos As Long Dim LeftPos As Long Dim SheetCount As Long Dim cMaxLetters As Long Dim cLeftWidth As Long Dim PrintDlg As DialogSheet Dim CurrentSheet Dim cb As CheckBox Dim fInclude As Boolean Dim arySheets Application.ScreenUpdating = False ReDim arySheets(0) ' Check for protected workbook If ActiveWorkbook.ProtectStruc...

IMO Accounts problem
My wife and I share the same Outlook IMO account. By that I mean there are two accounts sharing one PST file. This works for us because we want to keep our email, schedules, etc. all in one location. I'm using Windows XP Pro SP1 with Outlook 2000 SR1. I have only two Windows profiles, mine and an admin one that is rarely used. Everyday usage takes place on my profile which is set up as the default profile. Here's the problem: The two accounts, mine and my wife's both use the same PST file and sometimes OL sends the mail with my address in the From field and sometimes it's sent...

Post Dated Checks

Run-time error for objects deletion
Hi, I have made a list of option button. When I select a particular option, the excel should identify and delete the previous object names starting with "onstrfr". However, when it identifies the correct obj name "onstrfr", the obj.Delete gives "Run-time error '1004': Application-defined or object-defined error". I'll be grateful if someone can help me to solve this problem. Loy === FROM Sheet1======= Private Sub on3wdgtrfroption_Click() Call Sheet2.Deleteonstrfr Call Sheet2.OnshoreTrfr(myValue, 2) End Sub ===From Sh...

Header Problems
I am using word 2003 On the 4th page and section 2 of a 22 page document, I created a header that I want on all of the following pages. But it is also appearing on the first page that I had checked as "different first page", but does not appear on pages 2 or 3. How can I get it off of page 1? What am I doing wrong? I have never had this problem before when I have created the whole document. But I am working on someone else's document trying to straighten out their header problems. Can anyone help me??? Aurora I'm not sure I'm reading your descripti...

data migration wizard problem
Hello there I try to import account into crm 3.0 by dmf and it doesnt seems to work. Here is insert I am using to populate cdf (under) as accountid i use (1,2,3 ... ) as owning user name (my domain\login) wizard runs and ..... writes that all records are not migrated from cdf... log doesnt show any errors .. please help tell me what is required because i have done all that is in mapping description. INSERT INTO cdf_mscrm..cdf_Account ( AccountID ,AccountNumber ,Name ,PrimaryContactName ,Telephone1 ,Telephone2 ,Address1_Telephone1 ,Fax ,Ad...

strange date format problem

Sharing problem
I want to share my file with another, when I select sharing from the settings page, it goes to the sharing page, but then I only see the animated arrows, and the done button, but no place to put the email address. Can anyone help with this problem? Thank you, --Tom ...

How to sort by name then date?

Multiple Accounts problem
I am using Outlook 2000 with all the MS required updates. When I add a 3rd Internet E-Mail account, it will not work if the other 2 are functioning. In other words, when I have a functioning 1. Me@what.com 2. you@what.com and I go to add a third account: 3. who@what .com It will not send/receive from this 3rd account. If I erase one of the original accounts, the new one WILL work. Plus, at the Menu, Tools, Send/receive option, only 2 will ever show up at the same time. I have completely removed and then re-installed Outlook 2000 more than once. Any suggestions? Anyone seen...

if statement with dates #2

Counting Dates?

443 routing problems
Hi, We have our e-mail working fine through our Local Education Network. Our mail A records point to the LEA mail forwarding server and mail arrives here before being forwarded on the WAN to our Exchange 2003 mail server (which was installed today). So our mail domain yggwyr.swansea.sch.uk both accepts and sends e-mail without any problems. The LEA will not allow us access on Port 443 to our Exchange server. The politics behind this are not for here, but to combat this we had a seperate ADSL line installed and we now use our Netgear router to forward port 443 to the Exchange server - ...

An uneven time-increment
Dear all, If in a spreadsheet you have years 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2050 with associated data for each year, how do you produce a line graph of this without 2050 being positioned at the same interval on the x-axis as the difference between the other years? To clarify, because the difference between 2050 and 1990 is greater than the difference between the previous years (all 1), how do get Excel to represent this on the x-axis of a line graph? Thanks for your help, Steve -- smurray444 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ smurray444's Pr...

An expression for dates from and to