Date is not a valid expression

I've recently started getting two error messages regarding the use of "Date"
in MS Access.  One is "Unknown Function 'Date' in Validation Expression...".
The other is "The Microsoft Jet Database Engine does not recognize 'Date' as
a valid field name or expression'.  It's only happeneing in one of the two
databases I have.  What's happened?  How can I correct this?
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

First thing to check would be whether there is a problem with library
references on the machines that exhibit the problem.

Open any code window, and choose References on the Tools menu. Any checked
references marked "MISSING"?

More info:
    Solving Problems with Library References
at:
    http://allenbrowne.com/ser-38.html

"Don" <Don@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've recently started getting two error messages regarding the use of
> "Date"
> in MS Access.  One is "Unknown Function 'Date' in Validation
> Expression...".
> The other is "The Microsoft Jet Database Engine does not recognize 'Date'
> as
> a valid field name or expression'.  It's only happeneing in one of the two
> databases I have.  What's happened?  How can I correct this?

0
Allen
7/21/2007 12:45:35 PM
I have looked in the references.  I do not see "MISSING" after any checked
item in the ActiveX Data Objects 2.1 Library.

"Allen Browne" wrote:

> First thing to check would be whether there is a problem with library
> references on the machines that exhibit the problem.
>
> Open any code window, and choose References on the Tools menu. Any checked
> references marked "MISSING"?
>
> More info:
>     Solving Problems with Library References
> at:
>     http://allenbrowne.com/ser-38.html

> "Don" <Don@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've recently started getting two error messages regarding the use of
> > "Date"
> > in MS Access.  One is "Unknown Function 'Date' in Validation
> > Expression...".
> > The other is "The Microsoft Jet Database Engine does not recognize 'Date'
> > as
> > a valid field name or expression'.  It's only happeneing in one of the two
> > databases I have.  What's happened?  How can I correct this?

What libraries are checked? You must have Access and VBA, and it sounds like
you have ADO as well.

If the word "MISSING" does not appear beside them, does the code compile?
(Compile on Debug menu, in the code window.)

>I have looked in the references.  I do not see "MISSING" after any checked
> item in the ActiveX Data Objects 2.1 Library.
>
> "Allen Browne" wrote:
>
>> First thing to check would be whether there is a problem with library
>> references on the machines that exhibit the problem.
>>
>> Open any code window, and choose References on the Tools menu. Any
>> checked
>> references marked "MISSING"?
>>
>> More info:
>>     Solving Problems with Library References
>> at:
>>     http://allenbrowne.com/ser-38.html
>>
>> "Don" <Don@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I've recently started getting two error messages regarding the use of
>> > "Date"
>> > in MS Access.  One is "Unknown Function 'Date' in Validation
>> > Expression...".
>> > The other is "The Microsoft Jet Database Engine does not recognize
>> > 'Date'
>> > as
>> > a valid field name or expression'.  It's only happeneing in one of the
>> > two
>> > databases I have.  What's happened?  How can I correct this?

0
Allen
7/21/2007 3:32:20 PM
Code compiles.  I created an error before trying the compiler and it gave an
error response.  I appreaciate your help.

"Allen Browne" wrote:

> What libraries are checked? You must have Access and VBA, and it sounds like
> you have ADO as well.
>
> If the word "MISSING" does not appear beside them, does the code compile?
> (Compile on Debug menu, in the code window.)

> "Don" <Don@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have looked in the references.  I do not see "MISSING" after any checked
> > item in the ActiveX Data Objects 2.1 Library.
> >
> > "Allen Browne" wrote:
> >
> >> First thing to check would be whether there is a problem with library
> >> references on the machines that exhibit the problem.
> >>
> >> Open any code window, and choose References on the Tools menu. Any
> >> checked
> >> references marked "MISSING"?
> >>
> >> More info:
> >>     Solving Problems with Library References
> >> at:
> >>     http://allenbrowne.com/ser-38.html
> >>
> >> "Don" <Don@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

In what context are you getting these errors?

In a query? Post the SQL statement (SQL View, on View menu.)

In VBA code? Post the line that generates the error, and indicate the error
number.

What version of Access?

What operating system?

> Code compiles.  I created an error before trying the compiler and it gave
> an
> error response.  I appreaciate your help.
>
> "Allen Browne" wrote:
>
>> What libraries are checked? You must have Access and VBA, and it sounds
>> like
>> you have ADO as well.
>>
>> If the word "MISSING" does not appear beside them, does the code compile?
>> (Compile on Debug menu, in the code window.)
>>
>> "Don" <Don@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have looked in the references.  I do not see "MISSING" after any
>> >checked
>> > item in the ActiveX Data Objects 2.1 Library.

0
Allen
7/21/2007 4:10:14 PM
OS - Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 2.
Access 2000.
I am having no problem in my other database, and this one was working
properly before I had a virus contamination.  The contamination was cleaned
up.

The problem occurs differently on a form as opposed to a report.

On a form -  after typing the 1st character in any field, the message
"Unknown function 'Date' in validation expression or default value in
'tblPlayers.Birthdate'.  This is happening on the main form, but doesn't
happen on the form's sub-form even when there is no entry to the main form.

On a report - after clicking on a menu to open the report, in one case the
form wanting a Paramenter Value for Date appears.  The report will open.  In
the other case the message is "The MS Jet Database does not recognize 'Date'
as a valid field name or expression'.  This message was also appearing
concerning 'Format'before I removed the entire entry.

Again, none of this occurs in my other data base.

"Allen Browne" wrote:

> In what context are you getting these errors?
>
> In a query? Post the SQL statement (SQL View, on View menu.)
>
> In VBA code? Post the line that generates the error, and indicate the error
> number.
>
> What version of Access?
>
> What operating system?

> "Don" <Don@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Code compiles.  I created an error before trying the compiler and it gave
> > an
> > error response.  I appreaciate your help.
> >
> > "Allen Browne" wrote:
> >
> >> What libraries are checked? You must have Access and VBA, and it sounds
> >> like
> >> you have ADO as well.
> >>
> >> If the word "MISSING" does not appear beside them, does the code compile?
> >> (Compile on Debug menu, in the code window.)
> >>
> >> "Don" <Don@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

You may be able to work around the immediate issue if you open tblPlayers in
design view, and remove any expression referring to Date from its properties
(e.g. the field's Default Value.) Similarly, remove the expression from any
properties of the text box on the form, and possibly code of the form or
controls.

But if you had the same problem with Format() as well, then it *is* a
problem with references. Jot down the names of all the references you are
using, as well as the full path to the file. It's hard to read this as the
window is generally to small to display it, but you can open the Immediate
Window (Ctrl+G) and enter:
    ? References("ADO").FullPath
to see the full path to each reference.

Then:
1. Uncheck all references except Access and VBA (which you can't uncheck.)

2. Close the database.

3. Unregister each library, and re-register it. Details in the article
already linked:
    http://allenbrowne.com/ser-38.html

4. Open the database again, and select those same references again, or at
least the ones you really must have to get the code to compile.

If it's still broken at this stage, there is another issue here. It could be
a damaged library (particularly after a viral infection), or it could be a
corrupt database (the kind of thing a decompile might fix.)

> OS - Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 2.
> Access 2000.
> I am having no problem in my other database, and this one was working
> properly before I had a virus contamination.  The contamination was
> cleaned
> up.
>
> The problem occurs differently on a form as opposed to a report.
>
> On a form -  after typing the 1st character in any field, the message
> "Unknown function 'Date' in validation expression or default value in
> 'tblPlayers.Birthdate'.  This is happening on the main form, but doesn't
> happen on the form's sub-form even when there is no entry to the main
> form.
>
> On a report - after clicking on a menu to open the report, in one case the
> form wanting a Paramenter Value for Date appears.  The report will open.
> In
> the other case the message is "The MS Jet Database does not recognize
> 'Date'
> as a valid field name or expression'.  This message was also appearing
> concerning 'Format'before I removed the entire entry.
>
> Again, none of this occurs in my other data base.
>

> "Allen Browne" wrote:
>
>> In what context are you getting these errors?
>>
>> In a query? Post the SQL statement (SQL View, on View menu.)
>>
>> In VBA code? Post the line that generates the error, and indicate the
>> error
>> number.
>>
>> What version of Access?
>>
>> What operating system?
>>
>> --
>> Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP.  Perth, Western Australia
>> Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html
>> Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org.
>>
>> "Don" <Don@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Code compiles.  I created an error before trying the compiler and it
>> > gave
>> > an
>> > error response.  I appreaciate your help.

0
Allen
7/21/2007 5:24:52 PM
I couldn't get the "Missing" message from Access 2000 in the Immediate
Window.  I took the data base to my son who is using Access 2003.  The label
came up immediately.  After unchecking the involved file, the problem was
solved.

Thanks for your help.

"Allen Browne" wrote:

> [...]
> > the other case the message is "The MS Jet Database does not recognize
> > 'Date'
> > as a valid field name or expression'.  This message was also appearing
> > concerning 'Format'before I removed the entire entry.
> >
> > Again, none of this occurs in my other data base.
> >

> > "Allen Browne" wrote:
> >
> >> In what context are you getting these errors?
> >>
> >> In a query? Post the SQL statement (SQL View, on View menu.)
> >>
> >> In VBA code? Post the line that generates the error, and indicate the
> >> error
> >> number.
> >>
> >> What version of Access?
> >>
> >> What operating system?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP.  Perth, Western Australia
> >> Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html
> >> Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org.

That's great news, Don.

(There do seem to be cases where A2000 doesn't identify a missing
reference.)

>I couldn't get the "Missing" message from Access 2000 in the Immediate
> Window.  I took the data base to my son who is using Access 2003.  The
> label
> came up immediately.  After unchecking the involved file, the problem was
> solved.
>
> Thanks for your help.

0
Allen

filter by date and action

Adding Hotmail Account to Outlook Express
I've had some problem with my email account using outlook express. Since a couple of days ago i could not access my hotmail account via outlook express (other accounts ok). I get the following message Unable to poll for new messages on your HTTP server. Account: 'Hotmail', Server: 'http://services.msn.com/svcs/hotmail/httpmail.asp', Protocol: HTTPMail, Port: 0, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCCF4 I've tried removing the account the adding it again but still nothing. After adding the account it tries to download the folders which comes up with this error Config...

Transaction Date VS Business Date

Post Dated Checks

how to keep all my emails messages back to my outlook express after windows xp re-installation
My laptop recently is infected by Trojan virus and now get cleared by NOD32. Some .exe files in the system have been however damaged. I would like to re-install Window XP again. But I worry that all my emails kept in last 3 years will be gone in the new outlook express. How could I keep and use them in the new OE same as before. Thanks for advice. -- Paul Take your pick. (Yes, you will lose your messages if you don't back them up). Backup & Restore: http://www.insideoe.com/backup/ Backing up and Cloning your OE Identities: http://www.insideoe.com/backup/clone...

data validation and autocomplete -- again...
hi, i've looked at the discussions about this topic, and i can't help but feel someone must have created a better solution. does anyone know of a better solution? the problem is simple: 1. i have a chart of accounts list 2. i want to enter text that is likely to be in this list, and want autocomplete to save keystroke effort by scrolling to that place in the list, or at least autofilling, so i can then just hit enter. thanks for any help here, fred thanks max, this is very helpful. fred "Max" <demechanik@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:eQov1Fo6EHA.28...

How to disable automatic dtd validation in XmlDocument?
Hello, I am getting an xml response from some server which I need to parse. Problem is the xml data contains DTD declaration and the XmlDocument.LoadXml() tries to find the dtd under C:\WINNT\System32 and throws an error. How could i disable this automatic validation? Thanks, Fahad Ashfaque Fahad Ashfaque wrote: > I am getting an xml response from some server which I need to parse. Problem > is the xml data contains DTD declaration and the XmlDocument.LoadXml() tries > to find the dtd under C:\WINNT\System32 and throws an error. > > How could i disable this automati...

strange date format problem

How to sort by name then date?

if statement with dates #2

Counting Dates?

Validation of CRM email addresses in Outlook
Hi folks, Couple of problems that are occuring for us with CRM 3.0: I am a habitual quick-keyer of e-mail addresses in Outlook; i.e., I enter a snippet of the individual's first and last names, then press CTRL+K to validate/underline the address. Sometimes when I do this, and the person is from the CRM address book, Outlook 'appears' to validate the address (it appears underlined) but on attempting to send the message Outlook flashes a message about selecting at least one recipient for the message. On right-clicking the person's name and selecting properties, all the...

An expression for dates from and to

Returning only MAX(date) not all dates
I want to be able to list the most current date an item is checked out. As I was working through the query I used max as an aggregate function but I still can't get the simple result I want. I'd rather list the fields I have chosen and somehow select just the most current checkout date. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here is my query: SELECT tblTerritory.TerritoryID, [TerritoryName] & " " & [TerritoryDescription] AS Description, tblTerritory.TerritoryTypeID, tblTerritoryType.TerritoryType, Max(tblTerritoryCheckout.DateCheckedOut) AS Checked...

System Date
Can anyone help me on how to force the system date to a member field of "Date" type? I could not find any help on msdn that comes with visual c++. Any hint or help will be appreciated. Thanks, Behrouzk Are you just trying to get the current date. You can use CTime::GetCurrentTime() or COleDateTime::GetCurrentTime() Tom "Behrouzk" <Behrouzk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D8FA4B6B-73CE-4058-B50C-C9BEBAB67E68@microsoft.com... > Can anyone help me on how to force the system date to a member field of > "Date" type? I could not fi...

Conditional Formatting
Hi, I have a spreadsheet that is for tracking work. I would like to have conditional formatting so that if the date in column E is between todays date and 4 weeks away then make it blue, if it is a date that is after 4 weeks away then make it yellow but if it is in the past make it red. Can this be done with conditional formatting or does it need vba? Also it would be nice if the whole row changes colour even if just the condition is on the date which is in column E - but if that can't be done then just the cell is fine. Thanks Assume the dates start in E2, select all dates w...

Time and date problem
Hello I have spreadsheet cell (B1) that contains a date and time: 05/11/2003 13:45:50 I have another series of cells (A1 to A100) that contain an increment of 30 seconds: 30.00 I would like to add the seconds to the date and time putting the result in column C, I have tried to do: =B1+(A1/100000) but the answer is wrong by 4 seconds and then gets worse the further down the column I go. Can somebody show me how to add the seconds to the date please. Thanks Tom Tom, Right method, wrong divider! 86,400 secs in a day.. change your 100000 to 86400 and you're there. Nikos Y. (nyannaco ...

SendMail version 2.2 for Outlook Express
Hi all I upload SendMail version 2.2 for Outlook Express to my website http://www.rondebruin.nl/sendmail.htm#Add-in New in Version 2.2 : 1) You are able to change the folder where you want to save the file (It also test if the folder exist) 2) You can fill in a default subject 3) You have the option to delete or keep the files you have sent. 4) Selection option : You can use your mouse to select the range after invoking the Add-in 5) Some other small layout changes If there are problems please mail me Have fun with it -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl Hi all Version...

Data Validation Question #3
I have a survey where users score things on a linguistic scale (e.g. Very Satisfied, Satisfied, etc.) and I want to convert that to a numeric score, but still keep the Linguistic Value. I was hoping there was a way to have a cell with the linguistic value and the a cell with the numeric score, but have them both show up in a dv cell. -- cmk18 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ cmk18's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=6047 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=474120 I don'...

Date subtraction -How to not show negative when 2nd date not entered
Hi, I have a section of a worksheet that just needs to show working days between two dates. For example, an order was entered on 9/2/07 and complete on 9/15/07 The formula =NETWORKDAYS(A1, A9) works perfectly except that until the "completed date" ise filled in, a negative number appears. Is there a way to have that remain blank until both dates have been entered? Thanks! Hi Edward, change your formula as =IF(A9="","",NETWORKDAYS(A1, A9)) -- Pranav Vaidya VBA Developer PN, MH-India If you think my answer is useful, please rate this post as an ANSWER...

PivotTable question
Thanks Debra, For some reason when on that Date field button in the Pivot table & choose the Group & Show Detail > Group I get a "Cannot group that selection" pop up message. I'll give the other tips a shot, I'm sure those will work. thanks again -- -= cj = ----------------------------------------------------------------------- -= cj =-'s Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1467 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26305 If the date column contains text, or blank cells, you'll see th...