database or other software?

I need help with the following situation:
I want to create files or a database that will contain information about my
clients, with their business information (i.e address, phone, fax, type of
business, in which states they do business) to send an invitation to bid on a
construction project.  I want , where a database would fill out the
information automatically on the bid invitation, then fax, or email the
invitation to each selected clients according to their specialty. Then I will
need to keep track of who answers my invitations in order to "weed out"
clients who do not participate or consistantly deny the invitation for work.
I want to be able to generate reports, filtered by specialty, with the
clients full information data.
Ideally I would like to create this database using business cards.

I have access to Excel and Outlook 2003, Captaris Faxpress.

What would you recommend?
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Hello Viv,

Get yourself Microsoft Office 2002 or 2003 Professional edition so you get
Access. Access is a database program and is ideally suited for what you
want. 2002 and 2003 have the standard menu at the top of the screen which
you are probably used to using. 2002 and 2003 have all the features you
need. Office 2007 has a new design and uses what is called a Ribbin instead
of a standard menu.

Access stores your data in tables. Access uses forms to input and display
data and uses reports to create printouts of the data. Unlike Excel which
you are used to, Access requires you to create your application from the
ground up where Excel is ready to use out of the box. Access has a long and
steep learning curve and unless you anticipate creating many applications,
you are better off getting someone with Access skills to create your
application for you.

I provide help with Access, Excel and Word applications for a reasonable
fee. I could build an Access application for you to do what you have
described for a very modest fee. There is a lot to what you describe but
nothing complex. You could have an Access database up and running in a short
time. If you want my help, contact me.

Steve
santus@penn.com

"Viv" <Viv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I need help with the following situation:
> I want to create files or a database that will contain information about
> my
> clients, with their business information (i.e address, phone, fax, type of
> business, in which states they do business) to send an invitation to bid
> on a
> construction project.  I want , where a database would fill out the
> information automatically on the bid invitation, then fax, or email the
> invitation to each selected clients according to their specialty. Then I
> will
> need to keep track of who answers my invitations in order to "weed out"
> clients who do not participate or consistantly deny the invitation for
> work.
> I want to be able to generate reports, filtered by specialty, with the
> clients full information data.
> Ideally I would like to create this database using business cards.
>
> I have access to Excel and Outlook 2003, Captaris Faxpress.
>
> What would you recommend?

0
Steve
2/18/2010 9:28:16 PM
Steve,

Your first paragraph was pretty good.

The second started out well, but soon we could see where it was heading.

The third and last paragraph is just plain wrong. Viv if you have any sense
at all, you won't feed Steve the Money Troll. His ethics are such that he
tries to make money using a forum that is suppose to be free. I wouldn't
trust Steve.
--
Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP

"Steve" <notmyemail@address.com> schreef in bericht news:%236o5JFOsKHA.1352@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Hello Viv,
>
> Get yourself Microsoft Office 2002 or 2003 Professional edition so you get Access. Access is a database program and is ideally
> suited for what you want. 2002 and 2003 have the standard menu at the top of the screen which you are probably used to using. 2002
> and 2003 have all the features you need. Office 2007 has a new design and uses what is called a Ribbin instead of a standard menu.
>
> Access stores your data in tables. Access uses forms to input and display data and uses reports to create printouts of the data.
> Unlike Excel which you are used to, Access requires you to create your application from the ground up where Excel is ready to use
> out of the box. Access has a long and steep learning curve and unless you anticipate creating many applications, you are better
> off getting someone with Access skills to create your application for you.
>
> I provide help with Access, Excel and Word applications for a reasonable fee. I could build an Access application for you to do
> what you have described for a very modest fee. There is a lot to what you describe but nothing complex. You could have an Access
> database up and running in a short time. If you want my help, contact me.

--
Get lost $teve.  Go away... far away....

Again... Get lost $teve.  Go away... far away....
No-one wants you here... no-one needs you here...

This newsgroup is meant for FREE help..
No-one wants you here... no-one needs you here...
OP look at http://home.tiscali.nl/arracom/whoissteve.html
(Website has been updated and has a new 'look'...  we have passed 11.000 pageloads... it's a shame !!)

Arno R

0
Stop
2/18/2010 11:55:25 PM
"Steve" <notmyemail@address.com> wrote in message
>  Access has a long and steep learning curve and unless you anticipate
> creating many applications, you are better off getting someone with Access
> skills to create your application for you.

Which does not include master santos. He is far from a SKILLED Access
developer.  Access is not that hard to learn. and the regulars will gladly
help out.

> I provide help with Access, Excel and Word applications for a reasonable
> fee. I could build an Access application for you to do what you have
> described for a very modest fee. There is a lot to what you describe but
> nothing complex. You could have an Access database up and running in a
> short time. If you want my help, contact me.

> Steve

Stevie is our own personal pet troll who is the only one who does not
understand the concept of FREE peer to peer support!
He offers questionable results at unreasonable prices.

These newsgroups are provided by Microsoft for FREE peer to peer support.
There are many highly qualified individuals who gladly help for free. Stevie
is not one of them, but he is the only one who just does not get the idea of
"FREE" support. He offers questionable results at unreasonable prices. If he
was any good, the "thousands" of people he claims to have helped would be
flooding him with work, but there appears to be a continuous drought and he
needs to constantly grovel for work.

John... Visio MVP

0
John

Access Database Conversion to Excel Database
I need to convert a downloaded database in Access format to an Excel format I can use on my desktop. Hi Greg One way Use Data>Import External Data in the menubar -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2000-2003) www.rondebruin.nl "greg" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:b0f301c3ec2b$2b12d830$a001280a@phx.gbl... > I need to convert a downloaded database in Access format > to an Excel format I can use on my desktop. ...

Nothing shows up in Database objects in Database Wizard
Hello, I am having touble with Visio 2003 once again. Though the db wizard, I created an excel spreadsheet (table) for data and am tryinig to link the chart back to this original database so that when I change something in the database it will change correspondingly. I am going back through the DB wizard, and can only get as far as selecting a database object to connect to. I have selected the original dada source, checked table, but nothing showes up under the database objects. Am I or my computer missing something? Please help! Thank You. Have you defined a name for the region ...

Huge database
Good afternoon, i have to make a huge database wich have to get data from excel file.That is not a big problem problem is that i have to get information for about 1000 families with 1000 elements for every family and this database have to storage this information at leaset one year. This make a huge pack of elements. Can Microsoft Access get so huge pack of data ? If yes i would be glad to read some ideas. Thanks If you are talking about 1000 columns in a table, Access can't do it. 255 is the upper limit. 1,000 * 1,000 is potentially a million records. However if the data is pr...

linking 2 databases in 1
Hi, I am running 2 hqs for 2 different purposes, now the company decided to use 1 hq for both purpose. How can i link the 2 databases into 1 database???? I tired to link them from SQL server enterprise manager-all task- export data from database A to B but some tables can not be exported and show me tables failure, is it possible to link them or im just trying something impossible? Advice me on that plZzzzZZzz -- Aliko ...

Importing Current Database into CRM Database
Hi, I would just like to know if it is possible to tranfer my current database into the Adventure Works Database(and if so how) or is it used just for a few records for testing purposes. You help will be highly appreciated... there is a redeployment tool on support.microsoft.com/downloads under microsoft crm. This may help you. -- John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.mscrmfaq.us "Rock619" <rodger@intervigil.com> wrote in message news:5728edd40161d2cca1c0e079cfd86665@localhost.talkaboutsoftware.com... > Hi, > > I would just like to know if it is pos...

how to start a database
hi guys, i want to start a database on excel 2000, i never had to do this before, and i know this can be done. i just dont know where to start from ! what i want to do is, it is a racing club, i want a listing of all pilot and a sheet where we can enter the number of the car(all pilot info need will be transfer) for final result of the race.(right now they enter the car no, name , city at every race at every registration, if he is register to 3 race they do the process 3 time.) like in access went we create the database and after the query, that what i want to do in excel. any tip or link...

Use query from another database
Hi In the code below is there a way that qryOrderHistory could be in a separate database. If so how would i refer to it in the code. Thanks Dim db As DAO.Database Dim qd As DAO.Querydef Dim rs As DAO.Recordset Set db = CurrentDb Set qd = db.QueryDefs("qryOrderHistory") qd.Parameters("prmCustNo") = lngCustNo Set rs = qd.OpenRecordset() If Not rs.Eof Then .... code to populate an excel spreadsheet Change your 'Set db = CurrentDb' line to something like the following .. Set db = DbEngine.OpenDatabase("full path and name of target MDB here") -- ...

Database Queries with database views, that base on many database t
I created 2 database views. Each of them uses 256 database tables. From every database table only one column is used in the select list of the view. Every database table has one column which is used for the join. Each database table has 5 rows. The database tables have not any foreign keys and indexes. Both views works fine. When I use the database views in a query like this: SELECT v1.*, v2.* FROM v1, v2 WHERE v1.id=v2.id I should get 5 rows with 512 columns in the resultset. But I get the following error from the SQL-Server (after about 5 minutes): Msg 8621, Level 17, State 2...

Impact of changing database column width?
Hi, We are a software product company and are planning to begin using the Contract Administration module. To do so, we will be switching our inventory items from Track: None to Track: Serial Numbers and we will be storing our software license keys in the Serial Number field which is column SERLTNUM in table SOP10201. Unfortunately, SERLTNUM is CHAR(21) and our license keys are a few characters wider than 21. We can get the keys down to 21 characters by removing three embedded hyphens, but there are several databases outside of GP where the license keys must still exist with...

Set Database in Excel
In Microsoft article 183446 under method 2, it refers to using "Set Database" on the Data menu. I am using Excel 2002 (the article says it applies to Excel 2002), but Set Database does not appear in my Data menu. Is this an error? It's an error due, I think, to very old menu structures. The article says that the information applies to everything from version 5.0 (1995) through 2003, inclusive. But I believe that the Set Database menu item disappeared from the Data menu as of Excel 97. And one has long defined a name using the Insert menu, not the Formula menu. But my rapidl...

upgraded from MSSQL 2000 to MSSQL 2005 now database's users have
Hello. I updated the MSSQL 2000 server to MSSQL 2005 server now the database's users have no login names. I found a way to list orphaned users sp_change_users_login 'Report' but it only listed dbo and there are actually five listed with MSSQL Server Management Studio Express. I tried this sp_change_users_login 'update_one', 'RPS', 'RPS' but I get the following error the user name 'RPS' is absent or invalid. Any ideas? Try with Auto_Fix instead; see the example at the end of the following article: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/...

Client access problem after databases restoration
Hello! Recently we had a problem with an Exchange 2003 Back-End server with 6 mailbox store distributed thru 4 SG, and we lost the databases because the SAN's disks partitions were deleted by mistake. So, we had to do a restore from a backup, but when we could not mount the stores, so we used eseutil /p command, and after, eseutil /d, and then isinteg -s servername -fix -test alltests. We could mount the stores, users can use email. The problem now is that we have some users that could not access their mailbox thru Outlook, and when we try to move to another store, we receive an ...

database or other software?
I need help with the following situation: I want to create files or a database that will contain information about my clients, with their business information (i.e address, phone, fax, type of business, in which states they do business) to send an invitation to bid on a construction project. I want , where a database would fill out the information automatically on the bid invitation, then fax, or email the invitation to each selected clients according to their specialty. Then I will need to keep track of who answers my invitations in order to "weed out" clients who do...

Do we have a software which can export text to excel perfectly?
do we have such software frnds??? -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Do you mean Import into excel? And if you can tell excel that the data is either fixed width or has a common separator, then excel will be pretty close to perfect! If you can't tell excel that stuff, then I think you'll need to do some data cleansing after you import it. "vikram <" wrote: > > do we have such software frnds???? > > --- > Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ -- Dave Peterson ec35720@msn.com ...

resturant software
It would be beneficial to have RMS in its natural state (without addons, from MS partners that never work as well) have the ability to implement tips like restuarant/hospitality programs similar to Aloha POS. This will allow charges (tips) to be added at the end of the shift without having to worry about the card being approved for the extra amount. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button...

Form in another database
How can I check if an Access form is open or loaded when the form is in another Access application (mdb or nde file). Alex ...

software update money 2007
downloads for 20 minutes then says it was unable to update, anyone else? "wildwood178" wrote: > downloads for 20 minutes then says it was unable to update, anyone else? anyone having trouble updating? downloads all the update files then says it can not update, over and over same thing. This is the MS Money program update. On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 09:55:02 -0700, wildwood178 <wildwood178@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >downloads for 20 minutes then says it was unable to update, anyone else? My "Internet Updates" option doesn't have a "software&quo...

Attendance Database Setup
I am creating an attendance database for my company. There are 19 different departments in the company and each manager tallies his/her own employee attendances. I had a spreadsheet set up, but it wasn't on a rolling calendar basis. Then, I was going to have the managers delete old months, but that would most likely mess with the formulas. So the new spreadsheet needs to be on a rolling calendar basis, so that when a new month comes up, the previous month from last year will drop off in calculations. My file has three worksheets, one titled "Summary", one titled "Detail...

Recover a Prod content database to Dev farm
Hello, I was wondering is it possible to recover (copy) a content database from a seperate farm to a Dev farm? I came across a few hints about using the "Copy the database files to a network folder" option, but nothing concrete. I'd appreciate if someone could clarify this for me? regards, Edgar You can recovery a database to a network location. We have the following options: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb808956.aspx You will see the details in the "Tasks" section -- Santhosh Sivarajan | MCTS, MCSE (W2K3/W2K/NT4), MCSA (W2K3/W2K...

Database schema
Does anybody have an "official" database schema or data model for these databases? The list of tables and field names for the dbs are in the Resource Descriptions under Tools in GP Our book Information Flow and Posting maps the movement of data between the tables for the transactions in GP, RM, PM POP, SOP, and Inventory. Find it on our web site at http://www.AccoladePublications.com Are we going to see you at Convergence in Orlando? We are throwing a big party aboard an ocean going cruise ship on Wednesday. Visit our web site at http://www.AccoladePublications.com for d...

moving database
I would like to know how tomove the database we use to another computer while we upgrade to windows xp (formating the drive) and still be able to work i have looked in the book but it only shows how to restore..thanks You first need to do a manual backup of the database. Take the .bck file over to the computer that you are going to be using in the interim. Follow the steps on restoring the backup. Then change where the database points to in the SO Administrator to on that computer to point locally = (local). After changing the setting press the Test Database Connection button if it suc...

Showing the actual database, not access's idea of it...
I've been working with MS Access for the past few weeks. A friend has a side job working for a summer camp and he needed a database to store all the kids information. Using VBA is not going to happen, I thought I could do what he needed much much easier in visual studios.net 2008 and I probably could have if that department of Microsoft didn't do what appears as drastic as disown the MS Access department. After much work I am able to read/replace and edit the data, but through the whole process I started noticing this. First, in Access the ID(auto number) is listed co...

How do I change default image viewing software back to MS Photo Editor
Hi A few months ago I downloaded a trial offer for an image viewing software package and decided not to use it anymore. The software somehow made itself the default image viewing sodtware in Outlook 2002. Now that the trial period is over I can't view any digital photographs from Outlook 2002. How do I get rid of it and make MS PhotoEditor the default again? Thanks in advance Mak Kaufman Windows Explorer->Tools->Folder Options->File Type tab. Scroll to the image type (.jpg, .bmp, etc.), highlight it and elect the option to change. The associate with the viewer that ...

how do I print mailing labels from an Excel database?
I want to use my database on excel to print mailing labels as well. Is that possible? How? Hi Patrizio1957 See http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/mailmerg.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Patrizio1957" <Patrizio1957@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:44DFA6B5-E091-4301-AC65-67B55A2C033B@microsoft.com... >I want to use my database on excel to print mailing labels as well. Is that > possible? How? Labels from within Excel alone is a trial and error operation. Best to use Word for the mailmerge operation. For help on Word...

Printing database model
Hi All I am using VISIO 2007 and have created a database model and would like to print it out with table properties, notes, column properties, information etc. However when I print I see only a picture of the tables and nothing about the detailed database properties that I spent so much time entering. Also how do I build SQL/ make a database with the model I created here? Is this tool not capable of doing this basic stuff? Very frustrated! TIA Hi Arun, You must have the Visio for enterprise architects version for generate a database from you visio drawing and for having more repor...