Data Shifting Between Records

Has anyone ever had experience with data moving from one record to another?
I have a form in which I'm using the FMS rich text control ("Total Access
Memo"). Several times when there has been an error (such as the user unable
to print, or other error), the user finds that data in one or two of the
rich text fields are actually data that had previously been saved in another
record. This has happened two or three times in the past few months. And,
while not a frequent problem, it is especially troubling when it happens.

I've checked the FMS web site, and haven't seen anything about this. And
their technical support is pretty rudimentary. Not much help there. So I was
wondering if anyone has ever experienced anything like this, either with or
without a rich text control.

I'm using an Access 2000 MDB with a SQL Server 7 back end, with ODBC linked
tables.

Thanks for any assistance!

Neil

0
Neil
2/19/2008 2:09:07 AM
access 16762 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Neil

I'm curious how the users might be able to enter data "in the wrong record".
Is there a chance they are working directly in the tables?

Given the frequency with which this happens, are you sure you want to work
out an automated solution?  Would it be easier (i.e., less work) just to
clean it up periodically?  Or to prevent it from happening in the first
place by how your users access the data?

--
Regards

Jeff Boyce
www.InformationFutures.net

Microsoft Office/Access MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Microsoft IT Academy Program Mentor
http://microsoftitacademy.com/

"Neil" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
> Has anyone ever had experience with data moving from one record to
another?
> I have a form in which I'm using the FMS rich text control ("Total Access
> Memo"). Several times when there has been an error (such as the user
unable
> to print, or other error), the user finds that data in one or two of the
> rich text fields are actually data that had previously been saved in
another
> record. This has happened two or three times in the past few months. And,
> while not a frequent problem, it is especially troubling when it happens.
>
> I've checked the FMS web site, and haven't seen anything about this. And
> their technical support is pretty rudimentary. Not much help there. So I
was
> wondering if anyone has ever experienced anything like this, either with
or
> without a rich text control.
>
> I'm using an Access 2000 MDB with a SQL Server 7 back end, with ODBC
linked
> tables.
>
> Thanks for any assistance!
>
> Neil

0
Jeff
2/19/2008 1:38:18 PM
"Jeff Boyce" <JeffBoyce_IF@msn.com-DISCARD_HYPHEN_TO_END> wrote in message
> Neil
>
> I'm curious how the users might be able to enter data "in the wrong
> record".
> Is there a chance they are working directly in the tables?

No, they don't enter data in the wrong record. The data already exists in
the record, but it's transferred after the error.

Consider: record 1 has for two fields: A = Pete and B = John.
Record 2 has for two fields: A = Joe and B = Tom

After the error record 1 is A = Joe and B = John
And Record 2 is A = Joe and B = Tom.

In other words, after the error, the data from another record  is
transferred into the current record, replacing its data, in one or two
fields.

> Given the frequency with which this happens, are you sure you want to work
> out an automated solution?  Would it be easier (i.e., less work) just to
> clean it up periodically?  Or to prevent it from happening in the first
> place by how your users access the data?

Now that you see more specifically what I'm talking about, you see how it's
a big problem. The user is entering data; an error occurs for whatever
reason; and data that they've already entered (and which they may not be
looking at) is changed. Now, hopefully they'll review all fields again
before leaving the record; but they may not. Or they may have been in the
record for a quick thing in one field, and won't be looking at other fields
that may have already been entered. Plus the fact that these fields are on a
tab control makes the chances of them missing a change like this even
greater.

Neil

0
Neil
2/19/2008 7:49:46 PM
Neil

I haven't run across that issue before.

Have you tried searching on-line?

Good luck!

Regards

Jeff Boyce

> "Jeff Boyce" <JeffBoyce_IF@msn.com-DISCARD_HYPHEN_TO_END> wrote in message
>> Neil
>>
>> I'm curious how the users might be able to enter data "in the wrong
>> record".
>> Is there a chance they are working directly in the tables?
>
> No, they don't enter data in the wrong record. The data already exists in
> the record, but it's transferred after the error.
>
> Consider: record 1 has for two fields: A = Pete and B = John.
> Record 2 has for two fields: A = Joe and B = Tom
>
> After the error record 1 is A = Joe and B = John
> And Record 2 is A = Joe and B = Tom.
>
> In other words, after the error, the data from another record  is
> transferred into the current record, replacing its data, in one or two
> fields.
>

>> Given the frequency with which this happens, are you sure you want to
>> work
>> out an automated solution?  Would it be easier (i.e., less work) just to
>> clean it up periodically?  Or to prevent it from happening in the first
>> place by how your users access the data?
>
> Now that you see more specifically what I'm talking about, you see how
> it's a big problem. The user is entering data; an error occurs for
> whatever reason; and data that they've already entered (and which they may
> not be looking at) is changed. Now, hopefully they'll review all fields
> again before leaving the record; but they may not. Or they may have been
> in the record for a quick thing in one field, and won't be looking at
> other fields that may have already been entered. Plus the fact that these
> fields are on a tab control makes the chances of them missing a change
> like this even greater.
>
> Neil

0
Jeff
2/19/2008 9:09:12 PM
"Jeff Boyce" <nonsense@nonsense.com> wrote in message
> Neil
>
> I haven't run across that issue before.
>
> Have you tried searching on-line?

Yes; couldn't find anything.

0
Neil
2/20/2008 7:40:58 AM
Neil

Let's hope one of the other newsgroup readers has run across this!

You may want to re-post, as folks sometimes don't follow down-thread to see
that an answer was not yet found...

Regards

Jeff Boyce

> "Jeff Boyce" <nonsense@nonsense.com> wrote in message
>> Neil
>>
>> I haven't run across that issue before.
>>
>> Have you tried searching on-line?
>>

> Yes; couldn't find anything.

0
Jeff
2/20/2008 3:42:19 PM
Neil wrote:
> "Jeff Boyce" <nonsense@nonsense.com> wrote in message
>> Neil
>>
>> I haven't run across that issue before.
>>
>> Have you tried searching on-line?
>>

> Yes; couldn't find anything.

Does your SQL server table have a primary key defined or did you build a
local index for doing updates?  What you are describing is exactly what can
happen if you define a local index for doing updates and choose a field or
combination of fields that are actually NOT unique in the table.  Updates
end up affecting multiple rows on the server.

--
Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP
Email (as appropriate) to...

0
Rick
2/20/2008 10:58:38 PM
"Rick Brandt" <rickbrandt2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Neil wrote:
>> "Jeff Boyce" <nonsense@nonsense.com> wrote in message
>>> Neil
>>>
>>> I haven't run across that issue before.
>>>
>>> Have you tried searching on-line?
>>>

>> Yes; couldn't find anything.
>
> Does your SQL server table have a primary key defined or did you build a
> local index for doing updates?  What you are describing is exactly what
> can happen if you define a local index for doing updates and choose a
> field or combination of fields that are actually NOT unique in the table.
> Updates end up affecting multiple rows on the server.

Yes, there's a primary key. This particular form consists of two tables
having a one-to-one relationship, the second table containing primarily the
rich text fields.  The primary key of the second table is the foreign key of
first table.

Again, note that when this happens, it's only one or two fields that are
affected, not the entire record. And it only happens in conjunction with
some sort of error.

0
Neil
2/21/2008 11:59:14 AM
Thanks for your reply, Gordon. But, unfortunately, there is no code that
updates these fields. They're simply bound controls, and are managed by the
control and the ODBC driver.

Furthermore, the fact that the contents of the control are replaced by the
content of a previously saved record in that control indicates that it can't
be user error. These controls hold multiple sentences. For the user to be
able to retype exactly what was in another record, after already typing what
was in there originally, would be extremely unlikely.

I have code that copies the entire content of the record to a separate
history table whenever the form AfterUpdate event is run. Looking at the
history table, I see exactly what the user is talking about. There will be
multiple entries with the correct paragraph of text in the field, and then,
boom!, all of a sudden, out of nowhere, the contents of the field is
replaced, character-for-character, with the contents of another record for
the same field. If the user had done this, they would have to, after typing
the paragraph in the first place, all of a sudden decide to replace it wit
the wrong paragraph of text, and then replicate that other record's text
perfectly. Extremely unlikely.

Since this is the rich textbox control by FMS, and these types of controls
tend to get a little flaky at times, I'm still believing there's something
with the control itself. Since it happens infrequently, and so far only in
conjuction with an error, I see it as a hiccup within the control,
especially since, as noted above, I don't have any code that updates these
controls, and user cause is extremely unlikely.

The fact that no one responding to this thread has ever encountered anything
like this is comforting. But, at the same time, it leaves me with few ideas
as to how to address it. Right now I'm applying the KFC ("keeping fingers
crossed") approach. :-(

Thanks,

Neil

"gllincoln" <gllincoln@live.com> wrote in message
> Hi Neil,
>
> Just reading through this thread - it's a near certainty that this is
> either user error or a coding issue. If you have a one to one relationship
> and the field that is 'changing' isn't part of the relationship, then we
> can rule out relationship integrity update/cascade.
>
> I've never seen a control change the contents of a field it wasn't bound
> to - but I have seen:
> Controls that the programmer thought were bound to one field, that were
> actually bound to another field.
> Plenty of code that was at fault. (including my own one in a while)
>
> Look very, very closely at all of the events and related code and any
> update or append queries that involve a reference to controls bound to
> either of the "Joe" fields and any variable used to store or update these
> control values - it's extremely likely that the problem is in there...
> somewhere.
>
> Hope this helps....
> Gordon
>

> "Neil" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Rick Brandt" <rickbrandt2@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Does your SQL server table have a primary key defined or did you build a
>>> local index for doing updates?  What you are describing is exactly what
>>> can happen if you define a local index for doing updates and choose a
>>> field or combination of fields that are actually NOT unique in the
>>> table. Updates end up affecting multiple rows on the server.
>>>

>> Yes, there's a primary key. This particular form consists of two tables
>> having a one-to-one relationship, the second table containing primarily
>> the rich text fields.  The primary key of the second table is the foreign
>> key of first table.
>>
>> Again, note that when this happens, it's only one or two fields that are
>> affected, not the entire record. And it only happens in conjunction with
>> some sort of error.

0
Neil
2/25/2008 8:56:36 PM
"Neil" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote

 > Since this is the rich textbox control by FMS, and
 > these types of controls tend to get a little flaky at
 > times,

With all due respect, since this is an ActiveX Control by FMS, why are you
not pursuing the issue with FMS?  My experience has been that (if you are
following their license provisions) they are good about providing support
and assistance.

 Larry Linson
 Microsoft Office Access MVP

0
Larry
2/25/2008 11:59:23 PM
"Larry Linson" <bouncer@localhost.not> wrote in message
> "Neil" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote
>
> > Since this is the rich textbox control by FMS, and
> > these types of controls tend to get a little flaky at
> > times,
>
> With all due respect, since this is an ActiveX Control by FMS, why are you
> not pursuing the issue with FMS?  My experience has been that (if you are
> following their license provisions) they are good about providing support
> and assistance.

From first post in this thread:

"I've checked the FMS web site, and haven't seen anything about this. And
their technical support is pretty rudimentary. Not much help there. "

Their direct response to me was that it's something in my code. OK. If you
read this thread you'll see that that does not seem to be the case.

0
Neil
2/26/2008 10:49:10 AM
Neil,
  Please see the thread "bug in form.recordset."
  Also, please check out
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.access.odbcclientsvr/browse_thread/thread/27cd447b59639843/3b707733ee8c4b1a%233b707733ee8c4b1a

  Is your database replicated?

  I am experiencing the same thing as described in the link.  I am using
Access 2003, linked ODBC tables to a SQL 2005 server that is replicated.
When I make an entry in a subform, the database records the entry, but
Access displays data from a different record.  Refreshing the record will
display the correct data in the subform.  The problem did not show up until
I replicated this database, and stops if I tear down the replication and
remove the rowguid columns.

It seems clear that there is a bug in MS Access so I would like to hear from
the MVP's about the discussion of the bug mentioned in the link.

Thank you,
Don S.

> "Larry Linson" <bouncer@localhost.not> wrote in message
>> "Neil" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote
>>
>> > Since this is the rich textbox control by FMS, and
>> > these types of controls tend to get a little flaky at
>> > times,
>>
>> With all due respect, since this is an ActiveX Control by FMS, why are
>> you not pursuing the issue with FMS?  My experience has been that (if you
>> are following their license provisions) they are good about providing
>> support and assistance.
>
> From first post in this thread:
>
> "I've checked the FMS web site, and haven't seen anything about this. And
> their technical support is pretty rudimentary. Not much help there. "
>
> Their direct response to me was that it's something in my code. OK. If you
> read this thread you'll see that that does not seem to be the case.

0
Don
2/26/2008 2:39:36 PM
On Feb 18, 9:09=A0pm, "Neil" <nos...@nospam.net> wrote:
> Has anyone ever had experience with data moving from one record to another=
?
> I have a form in which I'm using the FMS rich text control ("Total Access
> Memo"). Several times when there has been an error (such as the user unabl=
> to print, or other error), the user finds that data in one or two of the
> rich text fields are actually data that had previously been saved in anoth=
er
> record. This has happened two or three times in the past few months. And,
> while not a frequent problem, it is especially troubling when it happens.
>
> I've checked the FMS web site, and haven't seen anything about this. And
> their technical support is pretty rudimentary. Not much help there. So I w=
as
> wondering if anyone has ever experienced anything like this, either with o=
> without a rich text control.
>
> I'm using an Access 2000 MDB with a SQL Server 7 back end, with ODBC linke=
> tables.
>
> Thanks for any assistance!
>
> Neil

Yes, back about 1 1/2 years ago I had an Access97 app that had a memo
field bound on a form that was used to enter updates/comments. The app
ran for almost 3 years and then the first occurance of the entire memo
field of one record was over written with the contents of another memo
field happened. This happened maybe 6 times over the course of the
next four months. This app was backup several times a day so I was
always able to get the memo field restored to it's correct state but,
I was never able to explain it or find a definate cause. I do however,
believe it was something that the user did, ie; a key combination or
sequence or something the user did that my vba coding did not cover.
That group went away and that app was no longer used so the issue went
away and I never got back to it. Good luck with your issue but I don't
think it's FMS, it's either an Access bug(with recordset or bookmark)
or the Users doing something not covered in code.
bobh.
0
bobh
2/26/2008 8:12:56 PM
Good clue!

If the users inadvertently press <Ctrl>-<'>, Access copies the contents of
the previous record's field into the field with the focus.

If you are saying that this ALWAYS happens from an "older" record into a
"new" record, this might be one explanation...

Regards

Jeff Boyce

"bobh" <vulcaned@yahoo.com> wrote in message
On Feb 18, 9:09 pm, "Neil" <nos...@nospam.net> wrote:
> Has anyone ever had experience with data moving from one record to
> another?
> I have a form in which I'm using the FMS rich text control ("Total Access
> Memo"). Several times when there has been an error (such as the user
> unable
> to print, or other error), the user finds that data in one or two of the
> rich text fields are actually data that had previously been saved in
> another
> record. This has happened two or three times in the past few months. And,
> while not a frequent problem, it is especially troubling when it happens.
>
> I've checked the FMS web site, and haven't seen anything about this. And
> their technical support is pretty rudimentary. Not much help there. So I
> was
> wondering if anyone has ever experienced anything like this, either with
> or
> without a rich text control.
>
> I'm using an Access 2000 MDB with a SQL Server 7 back end, with ODBC
> linked
> tables.
>
> Thanks for any assistance!
>
> Neil

Yes, back about 1 1/2 years ago I had an Access97 app that had a memo
field bound on a form that was used to enter updates/comments. The app
ran for almost 3 years and then the first occurance of the entire memo
field of one record was over written with the contents of another memo
field happened. This happened maybe 6 times over the course of the
next four months. This app was backup several times a day so I was
always able to get the memo field restored to it's correct state but,
I was never able to explain it or find a definate cause. I do however,
believe it was something that the user did, ie; a key combination or
sequence or something the user did that my vba coding did not cover.
That group went away and that app was no longer used so the issue went
away and I never got back to it. Good luck with your issue but I don't
think it's FMS, it's either an Access bug(with recordset or bookmark)
or the Users doing something not covered in code.
bobh.

0
Jeff
2/26/2008 10:09:50 PM

"Don S" <NoSpamForMe@either.com> wrote in message
> Neil,
>  Please see the thread "bug in form.recordset."
>  Also, please check out
> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.access.odbcclientsvr/browse_thread/thread/27cd447b59639843/3b707733ee8c4b1a%233b707733ee8c4b1a
>
>  Is your database replicated?
>
>  I am experiencing the same thing as described in the link.  I am using
> Access 2003, linked ODBC tables to a SQL 2005 server that is replicated.
> When I make an entry in a subform, the database records the entry, but
> Access displays data from a different record.  Refreshing the record will
> display the correct data in the subform.  The problem did not show up
> until I replicated this database, and stops if I tear down the replication
> and remove the rowguid columns.
>
> It seems clear that there is a bug in MS Access so I would like to hear
> from the MVP's about the discussion of the bug mentioned in the link.
>
> Thank you,
> Don S.

Thanks for the input, Don. No, my db isn't replicated. And, in my case, it's
not getting the wrong record in general; just in one or two fields. But,
just as the bugginess is within Access in your case, I believe it's within
the control or within Access' use of ActiveX controls in my case.

My purpose in posting here was to hopefully find a workaround, if people had
come across it in the past. Doesn't sound like a lot of people have, though.

Neil

0
Neil
2/27/2008 3:00:28 AM
"bobh" <vulcaned@yahoo.com> wrote in message
On Feb 18, 9:09 pm, "Neil" <nos...@nospam.net> wrote:
> Has anyone ever had experience with data moving from one record to
> another?
> I have a form in which I'm using the FMS rich text control ("Total Access
> Memo"). Several times when there has been an error (such as the user
> unable
> to print, or other error), the user finds that data in one or two of the
> rich text fields are actually data that had previously been saved in
> another
> record. This has happened two or three times in the past few months. And,
> while not a frequent problem, it is especially troubling when it happens.
>
> I've checked the FMS web site, and haven't seen anything about this. And
> their technical support is pretty rudimentary. Not much help there. So I
> was
> wondering if anyone has ever experienced anything like this, either with
> or
> without a rich text control.
>
> I'm using an Access 2000 MDB with a SQL Server 7 back end, with ODBC
> linked
> tables.
>
> Thanks for any assistance!
>
> Neil

Yes, back about 1 1/2 years ago I had an Access97 app that had a memo
field bound on a form that was used to enter updates/comments. The app
ran for almost 3 years and then the first occurance of the entire memo
field of one record was over written with the contents of another memo
field happened. This happened maybe 6 times over the course of the
next four months. This app was backup several times a day so I was
always able to get the memo field restored to it's correct state but,
I was never able to explain it or find a definate cause. I do however,
believe it was something that the user did, ie; a key combination or
sequence or something the user did that my vba coding did not cover.
That group went away and that app was no longer used so the issue went
away and I never got back to it. Good luck with your issue but I don't
think it's FMS, it's either an Access bug(with recordset or bookmark)
or the Users doing something not covered in code.
bobh.

Thanks for that. Good to know I'm not the only one experiencing it.

0
Neil
2/29/2008 6:03:02 AM

> Good clue!
>
> If the users inadvertently press <Ctrl>-<'>, Access copies the contents of
> the previous record's field into the field with the focus.
>
> If you are saying that this ALWAYS happens from an "older" record into a
> "new" record, this might be one explanation...
>
> Regards
>
> Jeff Boyce
> Microsoft Office/Access MVP

That's a great idea, Jeff. I got really excited when I read this (not as
excited as Chris Matthews listening to a Barak Obama speech; but excited,
nonetheless!). It makes perfect sense, especially since the data always
seems to be from the record they were just working on before the current
one. One small problem, though: with the form this happens in, the records
are in descending order, so the older one comes *after* the current one.

To test it, I created a record, put a value in the field, and the I created
another record (there's a New button for creating records, which creates
them in the table and requeries the form). I then pressed Ctrl+' in the
second record. But it didn't copy the other text, since it was after it,
just as I had suspected.

So that doesn't seem to be it. Any other ideas?

Sadly and solemnly disappointed (not as much as Hillary Clinton after seeing
her poll numbers drop; but disappointed nonetheless),

Neil

0
Neil
2/29/2008 6:10:35 AM
Neil

The issue of which order the records SHOW in probably doesn't matter.  You
can sort a recordset in many different ways.

Sorry, fresh out, but maybe someone else in here has seen this.

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Office/Access MVP

> That's a great idea, Jeff. I got really excited when I read this (not as
> excited as Chris Matthews listening to a Barak Obama speech; but excited,
> nonetheless!). It makes perfect sense, especially since the data always
> seems to be from the record they were just working on before the current
> one. One small problem, though: with the form this happens in, the records
> are in descending order, so the older one comes *after* the current one.
>
> To test it, I created a record, put a value in the field, and the I
> created another record (there's a New button for creating records, which
> creates them in the table and requeries the form). I then pressed Ctrl+'
> in the second record. But it didn't copy the other text, since it was
> after it, just as I had suspected.
>
> So that doesn't seem to be it. Any other ideas?
>
> Sadly and solemnly disappointed (not as much as Hillary Clinton after
> seeing her poll numbers drop; but disappointed nonetheless),
>
> Neil

0
Jeff
3/1/2008 12:06:54 AM
Yeah, I'll have to check with the users to see if they resorted the records
before the problem happened. Usually they don't, so it's unlikely. But I'll
check.

Thanks for your help!

> Neil
>
> The issue of which order the records SHOW in probably doesn't matter.  You
> can sort a recordset in many different ways.
>
> Sorry, fresh out, but maybe someone else in here has seen this.
>
> Regards
>
> Jeff Boyce
> Microsoft Office/Access MVP
>
>> That's a great idea, Jeff. I got really excited when I read this (not as
>> excited as Chris Matthews listening to a Barak Obama speech; but excited,
>> nonetheless!). It makes perfect sense, especially since the data always
>> seems to be from the record they were just working on before the current
>> one. One small problem, though: with the form this happens in, the
>> records are in descending order, so the older one comes *after* the
>> current one.
>>
>> To test it, I created a record, put a value in the field, and the I
>> created another record (there's a New button for creating records, which
>> creates them in the table and requeries the form). I then pressed Ctrl+'
>> in the second record. But it didn't copy the other text, since it was
>> after it, just as I had suspected.
>>
>> So that doesn't seem to be it. Any other ideas?
>>
>> Sadly and solemnly disappointed (not as much as Hillary Clinton after
>> seeing her poll numbers drop; but disappointed nonetheless),
>>
>> Neil

0
Neil
3/1/2008 3:54:39 AM
I previously posted about data shifting between records in my Access 2000
MDB with a SQL Server 7 back end, using ODBC linked tables. Every once in a
while, data from one record mysteriously appears in another record. This
incident happened again, this time adding a new wrinkle to the situation.

There are two tables -- TableA and TableB -- which have a one-to-one
relationship with each other, joined on TableA's autonumber primary key
field to TableB's long int primary key field.

And there are two forms that are used by the users. Form1 is bound to TableA
alone. Form2 is bound to TableA joined with TableB.

TableB is the table that has the problem with data shifting. However, in the
most recent episode of the data shifting, the record in question was only
edited using Form1 (which is only bound to TableA), and not Form2 (which is
bound to both TableA and TableB). Thus, it would not have been possible for
the data to shift through user intervention, or even though anything within
the form, but only through some other mechanism.

A record is created by the user clicking a New button and completing a few
fields. Code in the back end then creates the TableA record with the
user-provided data, getting the new autonumber value. It then creates a
sister record in TableB, using the new autonumber value as the PK for the
TableB record, and completing two fields in TableB that are required, based
on user-entered data.

In this case, as noted, after the record was created, according to the
history logs, the user only used Form1, which only accesses TableA. Yet
somehow the two fields that were completed by default when the TableB record
was created in the back end were changed to contain data from a different
record. Since TableB was never accessed by the user of either record, I
don't see how that could be possible except through some glitch in the back
end or ODBC driver.

TableB It contains 20 memo type fields ("text" type in SQL Server) that are
used to store RTF data, along with about 30 or so other fields. It could be
that the large number of memo fields is creating a problem?

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Neil

0
Neil
3/22/2008 9:57:19 PM
Neil wrote:
> I previously posted about data shifting between records in my Access
> 2000 MDB with a SQL Server 7 back end, using ODBC linked tables.
> Every once in a while, data from one record mysteriously appears in
> another record. This incident happened again, this time adding a new
> wrinkle to the situation.
> There are two tables -- TableA and TableB -- which have a one-to-one
> relationship with each other, joined on TableA's autonumber primary
> key field to TableB's long int primary key field.
>
> And there are two forms that are used by the users. Form1 is bound to
> TableA alone. Form2 is bound to TableA joined with TableB.
>
> TableB is the table that has the problem with data shifting. However,
> in the most recent episode of the data shifting, the record in
> question was only edited using Form1 (which is only bound to TableA),
> and not Form2 (which is bound to both TableA and TableB). Thus, it
> would not have been possible for the data to shift through user
> intervention, or even though anything within the form, but only
> through some other mechanism.
> A record is created by the user clicking a New button and completing
> a few fields. Code in the back end then creates the TableA record
> with the user-provided data, getting the new autonumber value. It
> then creates a sister record in TableB, using the new autonumber
> value as the PK for the TableB record, and completing two fields in
> TableB that are required, based on user-entered data.
>
> In this case, as noted, after the record was created, according to the
> history logs, the user only used Form1, which only accesses TableA.
> Yet somehow the two fields that were completed by default when the
> TableB record was created in the back end were changed to contain
> data from a different record. Since TableB was never accessed by the
> user of either record, I don't see how that could be possible except
> through some glitch in the back end or ODBC driver.
>
> TableB It contains 20 memo type fields ("text" type in SQL Server)
> that are used to store RTF data, along with about 30 or so other
> fields. It could be that the large number of memo fields is creating
> a problem?
> Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

You have, based on your description, an unusual and rather convoluted method
for entering your records and simultaneously suffer from an unusual and
convoluted problem with your data.

I suggest that eliminating the former might also eliminate the latter.

--
Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP
Email (as appropriate) to...
RBrandt   at   Hunter   dot   com

0
Rick

horizontal data to vertical data

export public folder data?

storing read only data

SFO Client Record Times Change on Sync to CRM Server
When I am on a client site, I open up an account record on SFO Client and enter in all of the details of what is occurring while I'm on site. Sometimes this information is important according to the time it was completed. I rely quite heavily on the time stamp made by the SFO client. When I come back to the office and then resync, the time changes (thus disregarding my important information). I don't understand why this would be by design. Please add this to a service pack or a patch. This feature is very important for me and clients I am considering this for. ------------...

Returns entered from previous closed shift
When doing a close, how do you work off any returns entered from sales of previous closed shift? Since these returns are not from the current shift and it would not square off with current cashier shift at closing. On Sep 30, 7:04=A0am, RicoTowers <RicoTow...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > When doing a close, how do you work off any returns entered from sales of > previous closed shift? =A0Since these returns are not from the current sh= ift > and it would not square off with current cashier shift at closing. Not sure what you are asking. All that matters from the sh...

How to organize data?

Selecting specific data #2
Hi everyone I have another little problem. I have got a list of 20 items on sheet1, Cells A1 - A20 (numbered 1 - 20) and Cells B1 - B20 are items relating to that number, ie, number 1 = Concrete, number 2 = walls, and so on. Now on sheet 2 I have a table, again cell range A1:B20. I would like to know a formula so that when I enter a number in to column A, the corresponding item to that number appears in column B. ie, if I enter number 8 in Cell A1 on sheet 2, then I would like Floor to appear in Cell B1. Does this make sense? -- Thanks in advance for your help Lee Hi Lee Data range i...

Last Column With Data
How do I check a certain row to find out the last column in the row that has data? Dim myRow as long dim LastCol as long myrow = 1243 with worksheets("SomeSheetnamehere") lastcol = .cells(myrow,.columns.count).end(xltoleft).column end with msgbox LastCol This will break if you've used the last column in that row -- or if you haven't used any cells in that row. Is that a problem? Bishop wrote: > > How do I check a certain row to find out the last column in the row that has > data? -- Dave Peterson This gives a interger...

What was your data migration experience for MS CRM 3.0?
Has anyone used DMF 3.0 to migrate data into CRM using its wizards or stored proceedures? What happened and how did you do it? Andy It's a bit unwieldy, but if you follow the documentation closely and do thorough tests it is a helpful tool. You should be prepared to do some extensive data cleansing and search the newsgroups when you hit a roadblock. -- Matt Wittemann, CRM MVP http://icu-mscrm.blogspot.com "Andy" wrote: > Has anyone used DMF 3.0 to migrate data into CRM using its wizards or > stored proceedures? > > What happened and how did you do it? >...

showing only unique records
I have two databases linked, one keeps basic client information (name, DOB, address, etc.), the other keeps track of client's visit date and purchases. I want to display a list of clients that made purchases within a given date range, regardless of number of purchases made. With the simple query view, somehow I end up displaying one row for each client's purchase(s), i.e. if the client made 10 purchases in the date range, then I see 10 entries displayed for such, when I only want to see that client's name shown once. Is there a quick way to avoid displaying the duplication? If ...

data file: how to start its application

Search for record that requires two search terms
I have a table where the records are uniquely identified by a combination of two fields ChildAOLTermID and PhotoID. I want to use a combo on a form to look up records in the table. In the AfterUpdate event: DoCmd.SearchForRecord , , acFirst, "[ChildAOLTermID] = " & Me.cboFindRecord.Column(0) works but doesn't get me to the precise record I need because the PhotoID side of the record is not being specified. However, if I add that so that the search looks like: DoCmd.SearchForRecord , , acFirst, "[ChildAOLTermID] = " & Me.cboFindRecord.Column(0) And "[Phot...

merging data
I have a master file and 4 workbooks where individuals enter info daily. I need to update the master file workbook at the end of the day with the info from the 4 individual notebooks. How would I merge this data? I tried the "shared workbooks" process but it wouldn't let me do it. Please Help! Since your question is very "general", here's a "general" suggestion: Explore the use of links. Have all WBs open. Right click in a pertinent data cell of one of the 4 WBs, and choose "Copy". Navigate to the appropriate cell in the "Master&quo...

Vertical Data Extraction
Hi, I need to create a chart that is based on changing values. The Values are all stored vertically in a Worksheet called Percentage. The chart sheet contains a selection box where the user can select a specific search and a date and the selected conditions should be searched for and the chart should display results. Basically, when the user selects X in the first list box and Y in the second one, the code should search the Percentage worksheet for all instances of value=x and y and output. column Row Feature1 Feature2 Feature3 2000 0.5 8.3 10 2000 ...

Pie Chart from data
Hi, I am trying to create a pie chart from the below data just to show the percentages of what work orders are maj, med and min. How do I set this up!! Thanks in Advance!!! how can i create a pie char By following the directions within the Chart Wizard. -- Regards, Tushar Mehta, MS MVP -- Excel www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Custom MS Office productivity solutions In article <9265C290-B0B6-4CAD-B909-5EDFCE7DC415@microsoft.com>, anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com says... > how can i create a pie chart > > ...

changing data
Please can someone tell me how to do an automatic change all the way down a column. For example, i have a list of applications throughout a spreasheet as follows Approach, Eurosys, Oscar, Pivot_Pro Pivot_Pro, Oscar, Approach, i need to change exery occurance of Pivot_Pro to Pivot (Dual) how will i do this please help? Hi Press <Ctrl><H> In the find box, type in the existing name, in the change to box, type the new name, click on Change All, and its done -- j.kasselman@atlantic.net.remove_2nd_at. Randburg, Gauteng, South Africa "danzelindistress" wrote: &...

Varying data ranges
Hi, I am preparing a large number of identical reports on Excel fro imported data of varying sizes (e.g. some imported data is 400 row long, some 600, but all have the same number of columns). I hav recorded macros to take the data from its raw form to its complete form in order to releive the repetitive nature of this process, howeve the macro does not take into account the varying sizes of the raw data even when I use the Ctrl+Shft+End command. I am left with a lot o manual 'tidying up' of the reports after the macros have run. I have around 1,800 reports to complete so if ther...

Report from Related Record Types
I've got a new report that's configured to display only in "Forms for related record types" for Account & Contact. The report has a stored procedure behind it which will return different results depending if the caller is a Contact or Account. What I haven't been able to figure out is how to properly integrate my new report so that it is filtered to the record I'm currently viewing. I've been fooling around with the "CRM_FilteredEntity" syntax shown in the SDK, but how can this support accessing one report from multiple entities? What I'm rea...

Baffled by missing data on printout
I have a bunch of subforms that the user will fill out from a main form. I then save all that data into a local table, then read it back from a report. The report loads the same subforms which reload the data. All that is working fine on screen, and on print preview. Then, when sent to a printer, all te text boxes are blank! What could *possibly* cause this? I switched printers, used a pdf output printer (save to disk in PDF), and with same results. Any ideas? Rick wrote: > I have a bunch of subforms that the user will fill out from a main > form. I then save all t...

Data Filter
I am running excel 2003. I am needing to copy my out put to another location. I have the options checked : Copy to another location and my list range. However, in the copy to range it is listed " $j$4:$Q$4." I do know that my range is correct but how would I get the output data to be pasted in another locations. Once I click on OK the wrong information is outputted.. Thanks for your adivse. -- Nathan You should be able to select another range for the output. What happened when you tried to change it? Jessica@aol.com wrote: > I am running excel 2003. I am needing to copy ...

Validation in Data/Form
Is there any validation function for user when they input data throught Data/Form which was created default by excel?? Hi have you tried 'Data - Validation'. If this does not work you have to create your own userform >-----Original Message----- >Is there any validation function for user when they input data throught >Data/Form which was created default by excel?? > > >. > Data Validation only affects entries that are typed into a cell. You could try John Walkenbach's Enhanced Data Form. It's a free add-in that allows combo boxes, so it could display...