Creating a Sum Column on a Table

I am trying to create a table that has 4 columns. The first three fields are
test scores and the last is a column that I wish to have automatically sum
the first three numbers. How does one accomplish this?
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Hi Pete

Create a new query based on the table.
In a blance column add something like this

Result:
Nz([TableName]![Field1],0)+Nz([TableName]![Field2],0)+Nz([TableName]![Field3],0)

Change the TableName and field names to what they really are.
The Nz function will replace a null with a 0 (which you need just in case
any other fields are empty.

In most case it's not a good idea to store calculated results as I you
change an of the data the result will be wrong.

in SQL ths would look like this
SELECT
Nz([TableName]![Field1],0)+Nz([TableName]![Field2],0)+Nz([TableName]![Field3],0) AS Result
FROM TableName;

--
Wayne
Manchester, England.

"Pete" wrote:

> I am trying to create a table that has 4 columns. The first three fields are
> test scores and the last is a column that I wish to have automatically sum
> the first three numbers. How does one accomplish this?
Thanks alot for the prompt response. I feared that might be the case. Maybe
this is a better question...

I need to generate series of queries on from a much more complex table
relating to admission scores for college applicants. I need to provide my
coworkers and professors with access to the combined totals to these three
test scores in a variety of reports and queries. Am I correct in
understanding that outside of manually entering them into a column typed sum,
 my only other option is to include an equation with every query or report I
generate?

Make one query & reference that in your other queries instead of the table

HtH

Pieter

"Pete" <Pete@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks alot for the prompt response. I feared that might be the case.
> Maybe
> this is a better question...
>
> I need to generate series of queries on from a much more complex table
> relating to admission scores for college applicants. I need to provide my
> coworkers and professors with access to the combined totals to these three
> test scores in a variety of reports and queries. Am I correct in
> understanding that outside of manually entering them into a column typed
> sum,
> my only other option is to include an equation with every query or report
> generate?

0
Pieter
10/3/2007 5:36:23 PM
Thanks. I think you all have given me the proper logic path to deal with
this. I appreciate it!
> I am trying to create a table that has 4 columns. The first three fields are
> test scores and the last is a column that I wish to have automatically sum
> the first three numbers. How does one accomplish this?

hi
0
guest
10/9/2007 3:42:02 AM
You don't
You perform the calculation when you need it

Pieter

"guest" <guest@anonymous.com> wrote in message

>> I am trying to create a table that has 4 columns. The first three fields
>> are
>> test scores and the last is a column that I wish to have automatically
>> sum
>> the first three numbers. How does one accomplish this?
>

> hi

0
Pieter
10/9/2007 7:15:52 AM
Table1
Col1  Col2  Col3 ColSum
1       2        3       x
2       4        5       x

Example1:  Totals the three columns on the fly as value TotalCol

SELECT Table1.Col1, Table1.Col2, Table1.Col3, [Col1]+[Col2]+[Col3] AS
TotalCol
FROM Table1;

Example2: Actually updates the ColSum Field by totally Col1, Col2 and Col3

UPDATE Table1 SET Table1.ColSum = [Col1]+[Col2]+[Col3];

Hopefully that helps.
Michael Kintner
http://www.michaelkintner.com

"guest" <guest@anonymous.com> wrote in message

>> I am trying to create a table that has 4 columns. The first three fields
>> are
>> test scores and the last is a column that I wish to have automatically
>> sum
>> the first three numbers. How does one accomplish this?
>

> hi

0
Michael
10/9/2007 12:57:43 PM
might want to throw in a couple of nz's
SELECT Table1.Col1, Table1.Col2, Table1.Col3,
 nz([Col1],0)+nz([Col2],0)+nz([Col3],09 AS  TotalCol
FROM Table1

HtH

Pieter

"Michael Kintner" <michaelkintner@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Table1
> Col1  Col2  Col3 ColSum
> 1       2        3       x
> 2       4        5       x
>
> Example1:  Totals the three columns on the fly as value TotalCol
>
> SELECT Table1.Col1, Table1.Col2, Table1.Col3, [Col1]+[Col2]+[Col3] AS
> TotalCol
> FROM Table1;
>
> Example2: Actually updates the ColSum Field by totally Col1, Col2 and Col3
>
> UPDATE Table1 SET Table1.ColSum = [Col1]+[Col2]+[Col3];
>

> Hopefully that helps.
> Michael Kintner
> http://www.michaelkintner.com
>

> "guest" <guest@anonymous.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> I am trying to create a table that has 4 columns. The first three fields
>>> are
>>> test scores and the last is a column that I wish to have automatically
>>> sum
>>> the first three numbers. How does one accomplish this?
>>

>> hi

0
Pieter

create a roster

Sum Across Tabs
Trying to sum col. C on all the tabs. Can do the =sum(c:c) on ONE tab. but trying to get all 12 added is mystery. Tried holding down shift key from first to last and it did not work. What, pray tell, am I doing wrong.. Starting to get to me now.. =SUM(Sheet1:Sheet12!C:C) Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 10:25:05 -0500, "JLMcCabes" <JLMcCabes@cfl.rr.com> wrote: >Trying to sum col. C on all the tabs. Can do the =sum(c:c) on ONE tab. >but trying to get all 12 added is mystery. Tried holding down shift key >from first to l...

Column Width Adjustment
Is there a way to adjust the column width automatically to fit the length of the longest data in the cell. I know how to do it one column at a time but not how to do all columns of data at once. Thanks, Jerry Do a <Ctrl> <A> to select the entire sheet, then, Do the same thing you would do for a single Column: <Format> <Column> <AutoFit> -- HTH, RD --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit ! -------------------------------------------------------------...

Task Create - Status

Bug with cell merging in tables using Applescript

Splitting one table into multiple tables/tabs
Hi I was wondering if anyone can help me split a table into multiple tables or tabs. If I have a table of 20 customers with various transactions over time all in one table. I'd like to know if it's possible to seperate the table into multiple tables based on the change in customer number and have them broken into multiple tabs without manually creating each tab and then cut and pasting. I really appreciate any help! Thanks! ...

tabls in GP90 database
Does anyone know or have a description or documenation on the tables in the database for GP90? Maybe all I need is the important ones. thanks Within the program itself, Tools > Resource Descriptions Also, there are ERD's on the distribution CD's that you got when you purchased or upgraded the system - you have to install the SDK to get at them. -- Lyle U Adam Clark wrote: > Does anyone know or have a description or documenation on the tables > in the database for GP90? Maybe all I need is the important ones. > > thanks ...

Create external database

How to create pie chart with %

when form created

Creating a Brochure

How do you print an Excel worksheet to show the rows and columns?
I'm new to Excel, and trying to print a document that will show the rows and columns, rather than just the information. How do I do this? In Excel 97 (later versions will, I assume, be similar) click File - Page Setup. Then select the "Sheet" tab and in the box labelled "Print" will be a checkbox labelled "Gridlines". Check that and print it. Peter "Michaelangelo" <Michaelangelo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A635EBC2-AB49-45D8-803D-5C2E91ACDDAC@microsoft.com... > I'm new to Excel, and trying to print a document th...

How to create Access macro shortcut

Selecting column D automatically when you leave the sheet
I have an xl2003 workbook with several worksheets. Some sheet contain tables, or instructions, etc. Most of the sheets are identical templates i create as i need them. On these templates sheets, which are named 1, 2, 3, etc., I would like to, when i leave the sheet, I would like for the activecell.column to be column D. That is, when i leave the sheet, column D of the current row is selected. I have tried several ways to accomploish this, with no success. Thanks, Tosno You can use an Event macro to Select column D in the worksheet when the sheet gets deactivated: Private Sub Worksheet_Deac...

Creating an ad book

Macro to selectively hide columns
Hi Guys, Am using MS Excel 2002. Simply, I have the following columns: May-04 | Jun-04 | Jul-04 | Aug-04 | Sep-04 | Oct-04 | Nov-04 Above this a user can choose to view the spreadsheet by any combinatio of months (e.g. just May-04 - hide Jun-04, Jul-04, Aug-04, Sep-04, Oct-04, Nov-04 May-04 to Jun-04 - hide Jul-04,Aug-04,Sep-04,Oct-04,Nov-04 Aug-04 to Oct-04 - hide May-04,Jun-04,Jul-04,Nov-04 Currently I am invoking a change event to tell the following macro t hide the corresponding fields. This is done via a drop down lis currently. Ideally, the user would be able to key in the range...

Access unable to create an MDE

Counting entries in column C, based on entries in column A
I would like to count the # of entries of a value in column C, grouped by values in column A. Binder Note Category AA01 abc 2 AA01 ccc 2 AA01 abc 2 AA01 ddd 3 AA22 aaa 1 AA22 ccc 2 Need to find the # of Category 2's , for every Binder # Do not have the nested IF's I have tried available at the moment, but I am getting close... Try this: E1 = some binder code like AA01 E2 = some category number like 2 =SUMPRODUCT(--(A2:A7=E1),--(C2:C7=E2)) Biff <xj6rob@hotmail....