confusing error in access2003 db running in access2007

have opened a 2003 db in 2007...opens fine, but when adding records I am
getting an error as follows:

Microsoft Office Access

-2147352567 Method ‘Nz’ of object ‘_Application’ Failed

I can perform the exact same actions on the dB in 2003, and do not have a
problem...I am wondering if the NZ method in conjuction with data on an sql
server is invalid...I feel as if this particular dB is getting corrupted when
being used in Access 2007...I have been unable to convert this dB to
2007....the error message is that the dB is already opened exclusively by
another user...which is me...the dB size is growing incrementally during
usage; again, I'm wondering if there is some corruption going on...fyi this
dB uses both local access tables and sql server tables via ODBC.  any
suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

This sounds like a kind of corruption in the binary code.

You say it works okay, in Access 2003, so I suggest you try these steps, in
order, in that version:

1. Uncheck the boxes under:
    Tools | Options | General | Name AutoCorrect
Explanation of why:
    http://allenbrowne.com/bug-03.html

2. Compact the database to get rid of this junk:
    Tools | Database Utilities | Compact/Repair

3. Close Access. Make a backup copy of the file. Decompile the database by
entering something like this at the command prompt while Access is not
running. It is all one line, and include the quotes:
    "c:\Program Files\Microsoft office\office\msaccess.exe" /decompile
        "c:\MyPath\MyDatabase.mdb"

4. Open Access (holding down the Shift key if you have any startup code),
and compact again.

5. Open a code window.
Choose References from the Tools menu.
Uncheck any references you do not need.
For a list of the ones you typically need in your version of Access, see:
    http://allenbrowne.com/ser-38.html

6. Still in the code window, choose Compile from the Debug menu.
Fix any errors, and repeat until it compiles okay.

7. Now close Access 2003, and open the database in Access 2007.

8. Open the code window, and Compile (from the Debug menu.)

9. Still in the code window, choose Options on the Tools menu. On the
General tab, make sure Error Trapping is set to:
    Break on Unhandled Errors
and the Compile on Demand is unchecked.

Let us know how you go.

"CA" <CA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> have opened a 2003 db in 2007...opens fine, but when adding records I am
> getting an error as follows:
>
> Microsoft Office Access
>
> -2147352567 Method ‘Nz’ of object ‘_Application’ Failed
>
> I can perform the exact same actions on the dB in 2003, and do not have a
> problem...I am wondering if the NZ method in conjuction with data on an
> sql
> server is invalid...I feel as if this particular dB is getting corrupted
> when
> being used in Access 2007...I have been unable to convert this dB to
> 2007....the error message is that the dB is already opened exclusively by
> another user...which is me...the dB size is growing incrementally during
> usage; again, I'm wondering if there is some corruption going on...fyi
> this
> dB uses both local access tables and sql server tables via ODBC.  any
> suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

0
Allen
1/29/2008 11:33:33 AM
I will try this today...will let you know the results...TIA

CA

"Allen Browne" wrote:

> This sounds like a kind of corruption in the binary code.
>
> You say it works okay, in Access 2003, so I suggest you try these steps, in
> order, in that version:
>
> 1. Uncheck the boxes under:
>     Tools | Options | General | Name AutoCorrect
> Explanation of why:
>     http://allenbrowne.com/bug-03.html
>
> 2. Compact the database to get rid of this junk:
>     Tools | Database Utilities | Compact/Repair
>
> 3. Close Access. Make a backup copy of the file. Decompile the database by
> entering something like this at the command prompt while Access is not
> running. It is all one line, and include the quotes:
>     "c:\Program Files\Microsoft office\office\msaccess.exe" /decompile
>         "c:\MyPath\MyDatabase.mdb"
>
> 4. Open Access (holding down the Shift key if you have any startup code),
> and compact again.
>
> 5. Open a code window.
> Choose References from the Tools menu.
> Uncheck any references you do not need.
> For a list of the ones you typically need in your version of Access, see:
>     http://allenbrowne.com/ser-38.html
>
> 6. Still in the code window, choose Compile from the Debug menu.
> Fix any errors, and repeat until it compiles okay.
>
> 7. Now close Access 2003, and open the database in Access 2007.
>
> 8. Open the code window, and Compile (from the Debug menu.)
>
> 9. Still in the code window, choose Options on the Tools menu. On the
> General tab, make sure Error Trapping is set to:
>     Break on Unhandled Errors
> and the Compile on Demand is unchecked.
>
> Let us know how you go.

> "CA" <CA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > have opened a 2003 db in 2007...opens fine, but when adding records I am
> > getting an error as follows:
> >
> > Microsoft Office Access
> >
> > -2147352567 Method ‘Nz’ of object ‘_Application’ Failed
> >
> > I can perform the exact same actions on the dB in 2003, and do not have a
> > problem...I am wondering if the NZ method in conjuction with data on an
> > sql
> > server is invalid...I feel as if this particular dB is getting corrupted
> > when
> > being used in Access 2007...I have been unable to convert this dB to
> > 2007....the error message is that the dB is already opened exclusively by
> > another user...which is me...the dB size is growing incrementally during
> > usage; again, I'm wondering if there is some corruption going on...fyi
> > this
> > dB uses both local access tables and sql server tables via ODBC.  any
> > suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Allen,

thank you for you indepth help...unfortunately the results (...Method nz...)
were the same...I did not get any compile errors...code is clean...even after
decompiling...tried the decompile twice...tried compacting and repairing...I
can tell it's a corruption issue, because the size of the dB increases quite
a bit after it gets opened and closed...

do you have any other suggestions?
TIA

CA

"CA" wrote:

> have opened a 2003 db in 2007...opens fine, but when adding records I am
> getting an error as follows:
>
> Microsoft Office Access
>
> -2147352567 Method ‘Nz’ of object ‘_Application’ Failed
>
> I can perform the exact same actions on the dB in 2003, and do not have a
> problem...I am wondering if the NZ method in conjuction with data on an sql
> server is invalid...I feel as if this particular dB is getting corrupted when
> being used in Access 2007...I have been unable to convert this dB to
> 2007....the error message is that the dB is already opened exclusively by
> another user...which is me...the dB size is growing incrementally during
> usage; again, I'm wondering if there is some corruption going on...fyi this
> dB uses both local access tables and sql server tables via ODBC.  any
> suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Okay, that's decidedly odd.

The Nz() function is a member of the Application object, which is provided
by the Access library. If you open the code window in Access 2007, and
choose References on the Tools menu, these should be your first two