Compacting remotely?

Hello All

I have an access97 backend mdb, which I would like to compact/repair
automatically overnight. Is it possible to leave a separate mdb open that
would open the backend mdb, compact it, then close it again?

I'm sure this can be done because I think I've read something about it
somewhere: but I can't remember how - or where!

Hope someone can help.

Thanks
Leslie Isaacs

0
Leslie
3/17/2008 2:11:50 PM
access 16762 articles. 2 followers. Follow

well you could schedule it with windows.

take a look at Albert Kallal's solution here:

http://www.members.shaw.ca/AlbertKallal/BatchJobs/Index.html

change the code to compact the database...
--
Maurice Ausum

"Leslie Isaacs" wrote:

> Hello All
>
> I have an access97 backend mdb, which I would like to compact/repair
> automatically overnight. Is it possible to leave a separate mdb open that
> would open the backend mdb, compact it, then close it again?
>
> I'm sure this can be done because I think I've read something about it
> somewhere: but I can't remember how - or where!
>
> Hope someone can help.
>
> Thanks
> Leslie Isaacs

Hello Maurice

Thanks for your reply. Sorry not to have responded sooner - been away.

I did try the code at the reference you gave, but couldn't get it even to
open the mdb.
Time was short, but will try again tomorrow.
If I do get it to open the mdb, what is the command to get it then to
compact it?

Thanks again
Les

"Maurice" <Maurice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> well you could schedule it with windows.
>
> take a look at Albert Kallal's solution here:
>
> http://www.members.shaw.ca/AlbertKallal/BatchJobs/Index.html
>
> change the code to compact the database...
> --
> Maurice Ausum
>

> "Leslie Isaacs" wrote:
>
>> Hello All
>>
>> I have an access97 backend mdb, which I would like to compact/repair
>> automatically overnight. Is it possible to leave a separate mdb open that
>> would open the backend mdb, compact it, then close it again?
>>
>> I'm sure this can be done because I think I've read something about it
>> somewhere: but I can't remember how - or where!
>>
>> Hope someone can help.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Leslie Isaacs

0
Leslie

Compact now not compacting
When I select my personal folder and try do a 'compact now' it says its compacting but when I check the size it hasnt done anything. The file size is just over 700mb and when I manually do it using XP zip it halves the size! What am I missing here? Why aint Outlook compacting my personal folder? Thanks, Grant Compact Now and zipping a file isn't the same. When you Compress a pst-file it removes the "white spaces" and allows you to run the pst-file. When you zip a file you cannot directly access the file anymore. Compress Now should come up with a file size just a ...

Which firewall ports to open for remote access?
Greetings. Which inbound TCP ports will I need to open in order to run a remote session of Store Ops Manager. Will be connecting remotley across a high speed WAN (both machines have static IP address and are running XP Pro). Thanx! -=Rich=- SQL default port:1433 RMS HeadQuarter Listening on default: 34200 RMS HQ Client: 34202 "hitman" wrote: > Greetings. Which inbound TCP ports will I need to open in order to run a > remote session of Store Ops Manager. Will be connecting remotley across a > high speed WAN (both machines have static IP address and are running XP...

Not Compacting Correctly
This may be a dumb question, but I truly do not know what to do. I created a database for myself, no one else uses it. I have selected the "Compact on Close" option, but when I go to the location to open it again, I see the original file with a large file size and then a file name, "db1.mdb" with the smaller, compacted size. This just started happening in the last week, otherwise it has always compacted correctly. Any help would be appreciated! -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access/201005/1 On Wed, 05 ...

Remote Control Software?
I'm looking for some decent remote control software for doing tech support with a brain dead user -- actually a set of brain-dead users. I've listed are running Vista/win seven, on the remote side Vista or XP. I'm familiar with LogMeIn. I'm looking for something with similar functionality that requires little if any installation on the remote site. Free would be nice, of course. Thanks. Ross ross m. greenberg wrote: > I'm looking for some decent remote control software for doing tech support > with a brain dead user -- actually a set of brain...

mail compacting
When I double click on a mail message, I no longer get the entire message displayed. I only get the header then I have to click the full screen box to see the whole message. This seems to have started right after I compacted mail. I can't find an option in any of the mail drop-downs to address this issue and Windows mail help is useless. Do you know how to re-size windows without maximizing them (using the "full screen box")? That is something that applies to all Windows windows, not just Windows Mail windows. You need to learn how to re-size windows without ma...

Managing Remote Access Database
Hi everyone My question is how to retrieve and update records in a remote Access db sitting on a remote web host using a VB application. While I can do this with SQL Server I could do with some general pointers on the technique(s) used to do the same with Access. Do you have to get the recordset via an asp page using the appropriate SQL string and if so can updated records be returned back to the remote db via the same means. Any comments to steer me in the right direction much appreciated. Dave A Jet engine (often named Access) is no data base server, it is a database file (it ha...

Remote access to another company's Outlook calendar?
Hello! I have one client on Exchange 2003 that wants to access the calendar of an employee (consultant?) at another company running Exchange (version not known yet). How can the remote company share this person's calendar with my client? He would need to access it and add appointments to it. Thank you for the help! Gregg Hill On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 22:15:24 -0700, "Gregg Hill" <bogus@nowhere.com> wrote: >Hello! > >I have one client on Exchange 2003 that wants to access the calendar of an >employee (consultant?) at another company running Exchange (version no...

Compact/Compact on Close
Hi, I have a number of databases in A2K, written on different machines with different installations of Office. I have found that compacting a database while it is open regularly fails, seemingly at random. This is especially annoying as I usually set the Compact on Close setting in Tools/Options to true. Has anyone else experienced this and is there a fix? Thanks for any help, Jim F. Whyever would you set "Compact-on-close"? This is about the most useless option MS ever invented. "Compact-on-close" what? It can only compact the FE. All sensible software uses an FE/B...

Compacting NOT deleteing db1.mdb
All of a sudden when we compact a database the db1.mdb file is created and compacted into, but it does not delete the original mdb and rename the db1.mdb to the original name. After compacting we have the original mdb and a db1.mdb. The next day we have the original mdb, a db1.mdb and now a db2.mdb. So on and so on. Can not figure out what changed. Anyone have any thoughts? We do have delete permission on the drives as we can manually delete the original mdb and rename the db1.mdb -cbjames "cbjames" wrote: > All of a sudden when we compact a database the db1.mdb file is ...

compact mdb
How can I make the task of compact mdb into a macro in Access 97? Thanks. If you're asking how you can compact the currently open database in Access 97, you can't using either a macro or VBA code. If you're asking how you can compact another database (such as compacting the back-end database from the front-end database), you can use the CompactDatabase method of the DBEngine object (look up "CompactDatabase Method" in the Help file) -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) " 00ScarlettJohnson" <EE@yahoo.co...

Remote PC to join domain
My company have off site replication of our servers for the event of a disaster. We have a contract with a company that will provide office space for our staff in just such an event. They hold an image file of our PC's ready to roll out if needed. The PC's will then need to be joined to our domain using the remote offsite replicas. We will have site to site VPN between teh temporary office and the remote replicas. Is there a step by step guide to joining a PC to a remote domain. The servers will be running Win 2008 Standard. TIA -- ats@work Every year is the same And ...

Retrieving XP temp remotely?
Hi, I'm trying to find a way to retreiving the temperature of some critical XP PC's remotely, is this possible? I have speedfan running on the devices and it shows the temp and have downloaded WMIexplorer to see what it finds, any ideas would be most welcome. ...

Remote Data Transfer
In trying to import data from an external source into Excel using the request form =FILENAME|PATH.SOURCE, we are unable to use filenames longer than eight characters. In our particular case, we must use longer filenames. Is there any way to: a) Use longer file names b) Alias the longer name to a shorter name (within Excel) c) Any other way around this problem Any help would be appreciated. ...

RDC Error
Hi - I know there is a fix for this error somewhere in the "bowels" of MS KB articles, I just can't seem to find it after numerous searches. The fix has to do with deleting some registry keys then using RDC as admin to reset the security keys or something to that effect. It only seems to pop up whenever there is a "patch update" to which then I can no longer RDC. If anyone could point me in the right direction. Thanks!!! Found it... http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/187614 "Awrex" wrote: > Hi - > > I kno...

Compacting a spreadsheet?
Hey guys, Is there a way to compact an excel spreadsheet? I have a spreadsheet that imports data and uses pivot tables. The file size seems to be increasing, but the data isnt. I thought I recalled somewhere where Microsoft had a tool or command to compact in the XP version. Any help would be appreciated. Brian There's nothing that can compact the file, but you might be able to reduce the size by resetting the last used cell of each sheet. If you hit ctrl-end, does it take you way past what you think is the bottom right most used cell? If yes, take a look at Debra Dalgleish's ...

Compacted messages
XP during the Disk Cleanup operation indicates that certain old messages could be compacted. Similarly Outlook Express suggests compacting messages from time to time. But I have not seen XP reminding a user to look at his compacted message folder. Is it because these compacted messages are automatically deleted by XP after a certain period of non-use. Or is the User expected to open the compacted messages - assuming it is accessible to him - and delete the compacted messages when he thinks they are of no more use to him? P. Jayant "P. Jayant" <p_jayant@da...

Compacting Personal Folders File with OL2003
I have worked many years with MS Outlook in various versions starting with Outlook98. My Personal Folders file is now almost 2 Gb in size so I decided to restructure it by creating a new OL2003 type personal folders fileand move a large number of emails into this new archive file. After doing this it has reached a size of 900+ Mb, but the mailbox.pst file has not reduced its size in any noticeable way, maybe 1% or so. So I opened the data file management menu item and selected the old pst file and chose Compact. It starts a dialogue that says "Compacting" with a Cancel button but no...

Remote Billing
A customer has been using SOP for a number of years. They now want the salesmen to be able to enter invoices remotely. The solution will need to be a wireless one since they will be moving around from customer to customer. They would prefer to use Tablet PC's or some kind of hand held device since they are smaller than laptops. Can anyone recommend a solution? Are there any restrictions on the types of devices and operating systems that can place orders through eOrder? Can a device running Windows CE or Windows Tablet PC be used reliably with eOrder? Thanks "news.microsoft....

Email not accessible for remote users using rpc over http
Ok, I've searched and searched, I've checked with our consultant, and no clues. Here's what's happening. In my office we are using Exchange Server 2003. We have some in office staff and some remote workers. We just bought new Dell Latitude's for our remote workers. I have set them up on the server and they are working wonderfully, in the office. Both hard wired to the network and over the wireless. The problem is when they get them home (or any other wireless access besides our own). They cannot access their Outlook 2003. When bringing it up, they get a popup window askin...

compact view
What does "Add to compact view" mean. It comes up when I right click on a folder. I can't find it anywhere in the help. -- Steve Z Steve Z wrote: > What does "Add to compact view" mean. It comes up when I right click > on a folder. I can't find it anywhere in the help. ========================================= See the following forum for an answer: Add to compact view http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet/32993600/add-to-compact-view.aspx -- J. Inzer MS-MVP Digital Media Experience Notice This is not tech...

Is there a way to activate the Out of Office Assistant remotely?
Often plans change, and I need to be able to activate (or change the message on) my Out of Office Asistant while I'm away from the office. Is there any way I can do this remotely, especially from a Blackberry? We are running Office 2007, not on an Exchange server. Out of Office Assistant is a feature of Exchange Server, are you sure you don't have exchange server? You can turn it on via Outlook Web Access, which is also part of Exchange Server. "Jennifer" wrote: > Often plans change, and I need to be able to activate (or change the message > on) my...

OL2002 file will not compact
I have a client that had a OL2002 .pst file that was getting to be upwards of 1.7Gb in size. I archived his file from June of 04 back. This created an archive file that was 1.9Gb in size (!) and his default file still remained the same size. I compacted his default .pst file and it only reduced it to 1.6Gb in size. I am trying to reduce the new archive file which opens VERY slowly, but when I try clicking the compact button (yes, after selecting the appropriate archive file on the previous screen), it flashes "compacting...." on the screen for about 3 seconds and that'...

lost emails while compacting
Hi, I have jsut lost about 2,000 emails from my inbox after respondin to the prompt to compact. These emails are the latest in my in box What actually happened? Can someone help me as I need to retrieve the back. thanks, span -- span ----------------------------------------------------------------------- spang's Profile: http://www.officehelp.in/member.php?userid=439 View this thread: http://www.officehelp.in/showthread.php?t=120249 Posted from - http://www.officehelp.i "spang" <spang.2ec2m8@NoSpamPleaze.com> wrote in message news:spang.2ec2m8@NoSpamPleaze.com... >...

Remote Desktop 02-17-10
2 different sites...3 new workstations. SBS 2003 R2 New WS ar XP Pro and have IE 8,SP3 and all patches. Cannot remote desktop intoany of them...either from the internet or LAN. Can access other WS on networks?? Ensured the remote is enabled, even in advance firewall settings? Not sure where else to look? Anyone have any ideas?? Tami This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_015B_01CAAFD0.C5794D40 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Utf-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi Tami Try installing the latest Remote...

compacted messages
Once compacted, where do the messages go and how do I find them?? Compaction in Windows Mail should not disturb any messages. It only removes empty spaces from the database. --=20 Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/profile/vandermolen "clueless with vista" <clueless with vista@discussions.microsoft.com> = wrote in message = news:91E1A6C6-F864-428F-8A42-FABAFBD4233A@microsoft.com... > Once compacted, where do the messages go and how do I find them?? The messages don't go anywhere, because they don't...