Compact/Zip/Self Extracting/Posting to FTP

I am looking to automate as much of this as possible

Compact the Database
Zip the Database
Create a Self Extracting
and post the self extracting file to an FTP.

I know this cannot all be done in Access but It is an Access DB we are
working with.

Thank you.

0
Dorian
12/1/2009 8:11:23 PM
access 16762 articles. 2 followers. Follow

"Dorian C. Chalom" <DChalom@Comcast.net> wrote:

>Compact the Database

See the DBEngine.CompactDatabase method in VBA help for more details.

>Zip the Database

I've had lots of success using the open source Infozip DLLs.

Compression DLLs, OCXs, etc
http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/compression.htm

Not sure about the rest.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
For a free, convenient utility to keep your users FEs and other files
"Tony Toews [MVP]" <ttoews@telusplanet.net> wrote:

>Very interesting  but ....
>
>"This script is provided under the Creative Commons license located at
>http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.5/ . It may not be used or
>commercial purposes with out the expressed written consent of
>NateRice.com/"
>
>For a relatively short VBScript function?!?!?!

Now this is amusing. I just got an email from someone using an Swiss
email address calling me an "*sswhole" in reply to my posting.

Dunno what I did.  Oh well.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
For a free, convenient utility to keep your users FEs and other files
Tony
12/3/2009 6:59:10 AM
See http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm for a "guilt free" version of
the code on that page.

On Dec 2, 6:38=A0pm, "Tony Toews [MVP]" <tto...@telusplanet.net> wrote:
> "Arvin Meyer [MVP]" <arv...@mvps.invalid> wrote:
>
> >I prefer the Infozip DLLs as well, but in the od chance that you aren't
> >allowed to put them on your machine, here's something that uses the zip
> >functionality built into Windows XP and later:
>
> >http://www.naterice.com/blog/template_permalink.asp?id=3D64
>
> Very interesting =A0but ....
>
> "This script is provided under the Creative Commons license located athtt=
p://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.5/. It may not be used or
> commercial purposes with out the expressed written consent of
> NateRice.com/"
>
> For a relatively short VBScript function?!?!?!
>
> Tony

0
JP
12/3/2009 3:22:54 PM
Or
http://www.databasejournal.com/features/msaccess/article.php/3835766/Working-with-Compressed-zipped-folders-in-MS-Access.htm

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

On Dec 2, 6:38 pm, "Tony Toews [MVP]" <tto...@telusplanet.net> wrote:
> "Arvin Meyer [MVP]" <arv...@mvps.invalid> wrote:
>
> >I prefer the Infozip DLLs as well, but in the od chance that you aren't
> >allowed to put them on your machine, here's something that uses the zip
> >functionality built into Windows XP and later:
>
> >http://www.naterice.com/blog/template_permalink.asp?id=64
>
> Very interesting but ....
>
> "This script is provided under the Creative Commons license located
> athttp://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.5/. It may not be used or
> commercial purposes with out the expressed written consent of
> NateRice.com/"
>
> For a relatively short VBScript function?!?!?!
>
> Tony

0
Douglas
12/3/2009 4:25:17 PM
JP <jp2112@earthlink.net> wrote:

>See http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm for a "guilt free" version of
>the code on that page.

Hehehehe.  Thanks.

Tony

--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
For a free, convenient utility to keep your users FEs and other files
Tony

Extracting Variable names and Datatype
Hi Folks, I was wondering if someone knows this already.... I wanted to , given a .cpp file, extract all variable names and their date types from that file and its header. Thanks for helping out BV Why? And what do you mean by "all the variable names and data types from that file and header"? This is a very deep and complex question, and there is no simple, trivial answer for it. If you have a restricted domain of discourse, such as extracting all the top-level classes, you might be able to write a trivial program to do it. If you are concerned about global variables, a more...

Post Closed Batches to Quickbooks
Hi, We have just recently installed RMS and have completed the Assign GL Accounts. We want to test batch posting, so we created a copy of our QB file to play with (in case it blows up!) We are running the Canadian edition of Quickbooks Premier 2005: Retail and Repair Edition. So, what do we do now? I've gone to Journal/Post Closed Batch, clicked the batches, but don't know what to do with 'File Name:' What about after that? And once everything is working great, how do we re-post the batches to our 'real' copy of QB? Thanks for any help anyone can provide! Save...

Compact now not compacting
When I select my personal folder and try do a 'compact now' it says its compacting but when I check the size it hasnt done anything. The file size is just over 700mb and when I manually do it using XP zip it halves the size! What am I missing here? Why aint Outlook compacting my personal folder? Thanks, Grant Compact Now and zipping a file isn't the same. When you Compress a pst-file it removes the "white spaces" and allows you to run the pst-file. When you zip a file you cannot directly access the file anymore. Compress Now should come up with a file size just a ...

Cross/Multi-posted on purpose......
Hi All, SameStuffDifferentDay..........my posts are still all missing from this newsgroup, and have been cut 'way back from the other groups.......as soon as I send one to the misc group, it shows up and then right away gets deleted........does anyone know what is going on?........is this happening to anyone else?.......is anybody out there? I'm intentionally sending this to .misc, .newusers, and .worksheet.functions in an effort to try to find out what is happening here...... Any insight would be appreciated..... Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 Posted and emailed. Chuck: Yes, ...

zip 4 field #2
Have a zip 4 field in the customer field address would be helpful. We need the zip 4 field when exporting to a mailing program. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx...

How to delete Invoice that is not yet posted?
I transferred a batch of Sales orders (two orders) into invoices. I meant to only make one of the orders an invoice. I did not post the invoice yet. Is there any way to go back to the order? I do not want to have to post the invoice, then void the invoice, then show the material on the inventory missing/then having to return that material. (Is there an easy way to take the unposted invoice back to the Sales order step?) Please let me know, Thank you!! I would backorder all of the items on the invoice and transfer it to a BackOrder document (assuming your document id for the Invoi...

Safari cannot find 11.3 update server...already read previous posts
After reading the previous posts regarding 11.3 update for M.O. im still having trouble. I have a powerbook g4 running on 10.3.9/power pc. Niether the auto updater or mactopia download page will allow me to download this upgrade. I have never had any issues with previous updates for office. My version of OFFICE 2004 is a "student teacher edition". I tried the link left in other posts to download as well but no success. The exact mess. says " Safari cant open the page "http://download.microsoft.com/download/0/0/1/001fe70c-45b3-955e-af8525575c27/office2004-1130updateen.dmg&qu...

Not Compacting Correctly
This may be a dumb question, but I truly do not know what to do. I created a database for myself, no one else uses it. I have selected the "Compact on Close" option, but when I go to the location to open it again, I see the original file with a large file size and then a file name, "db1.mdb" with the smaller, compacted size. This just started happening in the last week, otherwise it has always compacted correctly. Any help would be appreciated! -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access/201005/1 On Wed, 05 ...

Post URL : Error
Hi, I've created a rule for New Lead event. In post URl action, I've specified the url :http://localhost/WebApplication1/WebForm1.aspx In the form load of the webform1.aspx , i wrote the following code. FileInfo fi = new FileInfo(@"D:\CRMDB\CLEAD.txt"); StreamWriter s = fi.AppendText(); s.WriteLine("AccountID: " + Request.Form["accountid"]); s.WriteLine(); s.Close(); I was getting the following error when i create a new lead. Event Type: Error Event Source: MSCRMWorkflowService Event Category: None Event ID: 5895 Date: 9/14/2004 Time:...

How do I format a zip code in a mail merge
When using mail merge, how do I format a ZIP Code that starts with 0 (zero) from an Excel File, so that when it comes into MS Word, it will not display a 0, but the entire ZIP Code (i.e. 02487). When it is merged, it is displayed as 0, not 02487. I tried changing the format to TEXT, instead of number, but it does not work. In other words, it doesn't like the leading 0. See if the following kb addresses your issue: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320473 -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publishermvps.com This posting is provided "AS...

Changing xlsx file to zip and deleting a file
I have a user who has an Excel (.xlsx) file that took about 15 seconds to do a simple calculation. But, there are a bunch of other formulas and conditional formatting statements in the file. The file size was "only" 351 KB. There are only 5 worksheets, two of which didn't appear to be used. I went through the other sheets and checked for: - hidden rows/columns - I found none - the area of each worksheet that had data and calculations was small (the most rows on any worksheet was about 130, and the columns didn't extend past P) - the formulas and conditional f...

Need Post-SP2 Hotfix for OL2002
I am having problems sending emails with large attachments (which I need to be able to do) which are described in KB articles 827149 and 827349. The articles go on to say I need to apply a hotfix, but this is nowhere to be found, and I have spent many hours on the phone with Dell tech support, and they can't get me the hotfix either. Can anyone out there please tell me where to download this hotfix, or email it to me? Any assistance is greatly appreciated. I have tried everything to no avail. PG You need to contact Microsoft Product Support Services. Odds are you won't be c...

Plot number of clients living in different Zip Codes on a Map
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------060408030103060607030806 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit I'm looking for an add-on (or dedicated program) that can show the number of persons who reside in a given zip code on a map. We have Excel worksheets showing 500 clients living in about 15 zip codes in San Francisco, and would like a way to tabulate the number of clients in each zip codes and plot that number on a city map. Can anyone suggest an add-on or product that can do this? Thanks. --------------0604080...

mail compacting
When I double click on a mail message, I no longer get the entire message displayed. I only get the header then I have to click the full screen box to see the whole message. This seems to have started right after I compacted mail. I can't find an option in any of the mail drop-downs to address this issue and Windows mail help is useless. Do you know how to re-size windows without maximizing them (using the "full screen box")? That is something that applies to all Windows windows, not just Windows Mail windows. You need to learn how to re-size windows without ma...

Extracting values from a column to a new column
I have my text (or number) values organized in a singel column looking like this A 1 Lemon 2 Apple 3 "" 4 Orange 5 "" 6 Pear What formula (not VBA) should I use to have it arranged like this in a new column? Note - the cells with a value should retain it's relative position in the column B 1 Lemon 2 Apple 3 Orange 4 Pear 5 "" 6 "" Furthermore, is it possible, if needed, to sort the values in ascending or descending order in the new column? Tia Rolfie Rolfie Sure Go to Tools>Options>Custom Lists ...

Compact/Compact on Close
Hi, I have a number of databases in A2K, written on different machines with different installations of Office. I have found that compacting a database while it is open regularly fails, seemingly at random. This is especially annoying as I usually set the Compact on Close setting in Tools/Options to true. Has anyone else experienced this and is there a fix? Thanks for any help, Jim F. Whyever would you set "Compact-on-close"? This is about the most useless option MS ever invented. "Compact-on-close" what? It can only compact the FE. All sensible software uses an FE/B...

Prevent posting on behalf of other users on Public folders
We use Exchange Server 2003 in our organisation. We recently had a query about people posting items on the Public folders on behalf of other users. UserA is not allowed access to UserB's mailbox, but when userA created a new Post item in the Public Folders and used UserB's e-mail address in the "sent on behalf of" field, the message was posted saying that it was posted by UserB on behalf of UserA. We want to stop this completely. I've looked in all the properties of the Public folder, but cannot see any options that refers to the above. Any suggestions? In ne...

Extracting Calendar appointments from Exchange DB
Where do I start?! vb script? odbc? SQL Server Query Analyzer? Thanks Jimbo wrote: > Where do I start?! > > vb script? odbc? SQL Server Query Analyzer? > > Thanks Exchange SDK, CDO Once you understand the different methods for getting to what you are looking for, then you can decide what method (vbscript, C++, etc.) "Douglas Buchanan [MVP]" <dbuchanan@d2removethisltd.com> wrote in news:uANXB5z6DHA.2712@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl: > Jimbo wrote: > >> Where do I start?! >> >> vb script? odbc? SQL Server Query Analyzer? >> &g...

post code / zip code search
I have a form based on a query that lets me seach customer by post code The code i use on the field i type the post code in is Me.Requery Me!PostCodeSearch.SetFocus Me!PostCodeSearch.SelStart = Len(Me.PostCodeSearch) Some of our post codes in our database have a space in them and some do not, my current code does not let me search with a space in it. if i press the space bar is just does not accept it How do i wrtite the code to i can have a space it it like ST14 5GH and not like ST145GH Or a away by query will search for postcodes with or without a space Thanks ...

Compacting NOT deleteing db1.mdb
All of a sudden when we compact a database the db1.mdb file is created and compacted into, but it does not delete the original mdb and rename the db1.mdb to the original name. After compacting we have the original mdb and a db1.mdb. The next day we have the original mdb, a db1.mdb and now a db2.mdb. So on and so on. Can not figure out what changed. Anyone have any thoughts? We do have delete permission on the drives as we can manually delete the original mdb and rename the db1.mdb -cbjames "cbjames" wrote: > All of a sudden when we compact a database the db1.mdb file is ...

Extract a mailbox with Exmerge
I need to extract a single mailbox from an active E2K3 server with exmerge. Can someone give me an example of syntax to do this THanks On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 18:03:26 -0800, Haggis <Haggis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I need to extract a single mailbox from an active E2K3 server with exmerge. >Can someone give me an example of syntax to do this > >THanks Exmerge.exe is a gui, so you can simply walk through the dialog boxes. The documentation that comes with the download is pretty extensive. THanks mate :) "Andy David - [MVP]" wrote: > On Tue, 24 Jan...

Extracting Phone Numbers
I have many lines of data in which each includes a telephone number. The lines are not consistent in text or spacing. The number can have either a (403) area code or a (587) area code. I want to extract the number and have tried the following, which results in a #VALUE! =IF(MID(A2,(FIND("(587)",A2)),14)="#VALUE!",MID(A2,(FIND("(403)",A2)),14),MID(A2,(FIND("(587)",A2)),14)) If I use =(MID(A2,(FIND("(587)",A2)),14) on the lines that have a 587 area code, it works. 'Same for the 403 code. I need them to work together. An...

Zip code formating problem
I am creating a post card in Publisher and want to use an excel spreadsheet as the mailing list. In the excel spreadsheet, I have set the last column as a zip code from the special tab in the formating window. However, when I do the merge (mail merge option) in publisher, the first 0 in the zip code does not print. For example, the address is in New Jersey and the zip code is 08097. After the merge, the zip code will show as 8097. Any ideas on what needs to be changed to make sure that all of the first 0s in the zip codes print? -- CAS Save the database as a CSV (Comma Delimite...

compact mdb
How can I make the task of compact mdb into a macro in Access 97? Thanks. If you're asking how you can compact the currently open database in Access 97, you can't using either a macro or VBA code. If you're asking how you can compact another database (such as compacting the back-end database from the front-end database), you can use the CompactDatabase method of the DBEngine object (look up "CompactDatabase Method" in the Help file) -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) " 00ScarlettJohnson" <EE@yahoo.co...

Extract data from Oracle
I will be grateful for any advice on extracting data from an Oracle data base. I give part of the code I am using below, dimming the variables, setting up the connection string is done before all this. It seems to connect ok but bombs out on the RS.Open line, I will be much obliged if anyone can point out where I have gone wrong. I constructed the SQL from writing an MS Query to produce this data; that query works fine but I think using ADO is the neater option as I need to change the dates of data being imported and run this from a button on the relevant sheet. Many than...